Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Competitor is out

Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Talk about stretching the truth!! If Porsche had to only rely on 911 sales it would be either out of business or bought out!
Talk about ignoring the obvious. Yes, you are correct, but my comment was purely about how well the 911 sells, not how Porsche does overall.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:54 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
Here we go again with the "it's ugly and looks like the previous version" comments.
Porsche doesn't change body design significantly because they don't have to.
They'll sell every one that they make.
This does not apply to Corvette because GM knows they have to CONTINUOUSLY change body design or people won't stay interested.
It's a different mindset.
Look how many people dumped their C6's when the C7 came out.
Talk about not having a classic design that keeps people in their stable.
Honestly, it took years for the rear end of the C7 to become acceptable to me, as have all previous design changes that Corvette has gone thru.
I hated the C5 when it came out, but after quite a while I really liked the Z06 body style.
You'd think with the amount of time you've obviously spent in this forum you'd not have that ill-informed opinion of why people buy new Corvettes.

People buy new Corvettes because they can. The same people would not have a prayer of buying new Porsches as frequently -- or maybe they don't have the desire to -- because they are so overpriced.

To say that Corvettes don't have classic design is so laughable that you should be embarrassed. Have you ever watched auctions like Barrett-Jackson with the classic Corvettes raking in the big dollars? Cars that get "dumped" because of a lack of classic design would not be the center of attention at auction, friend.

I think you need to step back and get some perspective.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:13 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
You'd think with the amount of time you've obviously spent in this forum you'd not have that ill-informed opinion of why people buy new Corvettes.

People buy new Corvettes because they can. The same people would not have a prayer of buying new Porsches as frequently -- or maybe they don't have the desire to -- because they are so overpriced.

To say that Corvettes don't have classic design is so laughable that you should be embarrassed. Have you ever watched auctions like Barrett-Jackson with the classic Corvettes raking in the big dollars? Cars that get "dumped" because of a lack of classic design would not be the center of attention at auction, friend.

You know, you do have a point about the earlier versions, C1-C3, but with the speed at which people are jumping ship on the more recent C5-C6 models, even the C7 model which many are chomping at the bit to get out of and into the new ME version, my point also stands.

The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 AM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

The Porsche 911 design has stood the test of time and continues to sell. Yes, it is expensive but it is also a well built automobile. As long as it sells Porsche will build it.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 11-29-2018 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rmorin1249:
ByByBMW (11-29-2018), roadking40 (12-01-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Proper throwback works. The Porsche people are going to eat that right up. I'm happy for them.

.I chose my new C7 over a new Porsche. I did go look at the new ones at my dealership and enquire about their price though.

.The C7's style returned to the earlier C3s. The C4/5/6 brick-shaped Corvettes finally died. Thank God!

The C4 is a brick??? What car are u looking at?
Atari_Prime (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,169 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet

Probably one of the best posts in a thread that has devolved yet again into another - "this Porsche is ugly, that Corvette is ugly, the C5 looks like ****, the C6 looks like ****, the C7 looks like ****"..... It never ends here. I am new to ownership but have admired both P cars and Corvette's for decades. Even driven a few of them here and there, just never got to the point of actually owning one. Now I do and cannot imagine bashing the looks of any of these cars. Bottom line for me is looks are subjective, I get it, but all of these cars hold their own in the looks department. None of them in a bad way simply based on decades of popularity, envy and desire. The bashers do need to take a step back at times. Perspective pretty much nails it....
The following 2 users liked this post by JDSKY:
ByByBMW (11-29-2018), roadking40 (12-01-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:47 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

A car design resembling a horseshoe crab never appealed to me.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:05 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The instrument panel is fantastic, clean and bold with no extraneous "zoomy" graphics. Benz has been doing even more impressive digital instrument panels lately.

No reason for the C8 not to have something as good or better. Chevy's infotainment GUI is among the best in the business - logical and simple. I hope they designed the C8's system with the same philosophy. But please, for the love of God, don't use italics to make it look faster. Clean and bold conveys a seriousness more in tune with a sports car.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:47 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
No reason for the C8 not to have something as good or better. Chevy's infotainment GUI is among the best in the business - logical and simple. I hope they designed the C8's system with the same philosophy. But please, for the love of God, don't use italics to make it look faster. Clean and bold conveys a seriousness more in tune with a sports car.
Infotainment units don't really add seriousness to sportscars though. Lots of screens and silly graphics gets tiring so quickly it's ridiculous. Especially when they display messages to remind you what car you're in. Yes, it's fun and eye-catching the first few times but then it gets old. And annoying. Much like bold colors, fake chrome bits and weird noises the manufacturer put in on purpose along with stupid warnings (no, a passenger did not suddenly jump into my car while going 55, that was my camera moving ever so slightly)...
Old 11-29-2018, 12:07 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by PerKr
Infotainment units don't really add seriousness to sportscars though. Lots of screens and silly graphics gets tiring so quickly it's ridiculous. Especially when they display messages to remind you what car you're in. Yes, it's fun and eye-catching the first few times but then it gets old. And annoying. Much like bold colors, fake chrome bits and weird noises the manufacturer put in on purpose along with stupid warnings (no, a passenger did not suddenly jump into my car while going 55, that was my camera moving ever so slightly)...
I'm not into silly graphics, I want useful information. PDR, navigation, and tunes. Color can be useful if it's used to logically sort information into like sets, but you're right that GM typically uses color in annoying ways that distract from the data being presented.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:08 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by vrybad
Here we go again with the "it's ugly and looks like the previous version" comments.
Porsche doesn't change body design significantly because they don't have to.
They'll sell every one that they make.
This does not apply to Corvette because GM knows they have to CONTINUOUSLY change body design or people won't stay interested.
It's a different mindset.
Look how many people dumped their C6's when the C7 came out.
Talk about not having a classic design that keeps people in their stable.
Honestly, it took years for the rear end of the C7 to become acceptable to me, as have all previous design changes that Corvette has gone thru.
I hated the C5 when it came out, but after quite a while I really liked the Z06 body style.
What are you talking about "they'll sell every one they make"???? They don't sell many 911's FYI! The difference is just that Porsche has a better understanding of not over-producing the car and have dealers hoard them resulting in some dealers having bloated inventories.

And Porsche does more "new version" of the 911 than GM does with the Corvette and the timeless design is not appealing to a lot of people. They're stuck with that look and just trying to make the best of it. And FYI most car manufacturers do a new car every 4-7 years these days.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:09 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 391 Posts

What are you talking about "they'll sell every one they make"???? They don't sell many 911's FYI! The difference is just that Porsche has a better understanding of not over-producing the car and have dealers hoard them resulting in some dealers having bloated inventories.

And Porsche does more "new version" of the 911 than GM does with the Corvette and the timeless design is not appealing to a lot of people. They're stuck with that look and just trying to make the best of it. And FYI most car manufacturers do a new car every 4-7 years these days.
See the bolded.
So what's the complaint about?!!! lol
This isn't an argument, BTW.
Answer me this, why does GM drastically change the exterior and interior design of the Corvette?
Because people request/demand it.
Porsche 911/991 maintains the general design/platform that people have liked for several decades. Only subtle design changes.
I do disagree that Porsche is stuck with any look.
People love it.
Listen, I love both cars/marques.
I'm not here to argue but just observe and comment.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:41 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

I like it. I can't tell it from a 991 from most ang Las, but that's kind of nice. I like the fact that you can easily trace the car's lineage, nothing is a total reimagine. It feels more authentic that way, it is it's own car instead of trying to pretend to be something else.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:30 PM
desmophile
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Stylin': 911 vs Z06

Originally Posted by BMadden
Looks exactly like the current gen 911, except that the tail light treatment actually looks worse on this new model. I'm sure it's a great car, but in the looks department my Z06 absolutely destroys it.
I don't get greatly hung up on establishing pecking order of looks. I like what I like. If others don't share that opinion, fine with me. But I will note this comparison, Z06 vs 911.
Got my wife a 2002 911 Turbo for a DD, good in snow during winter here in SLC. I like the looks of the car, but, not being a Porsche guy, can't readily tell the different 911s since 1999 one from the other.
The few times I have driven the car somewhere, I have never had someone come up to me and talk about what a great looking car the 911 is. But it happens all the time when we drive the Z06. 3 times my wife has driven her 911 somewhere, and I drove to meet her in the Z06. We parked side by side on the fringes of wherever, as we are accustomed to doing. I had strangers walk right past the 911 to tell me how gorgeous our Black Rose Metallic Z06 was. I then let my wife drive the Z06 home
Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

The timeless design is not appealing to a lot of people. They're stuck with that look and just trying to make the best of it.
Good observation. Porsche does sell a lot of 911s but they are very limited now in how much they can changed it due to the fickle nature of their customers who continue to want the "timeless" (almost 60 year old) design. They tried to go in a different direction with the 928 and got absolutely hammered by their customers who rejected the "new" design" so they have to be very careful with any new model changes.

Last edited by dreamr616; 11-29-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:57 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Check the porsche boards, the 992 is not being well received by the purist core buyers. GM has a golden opportunity here with the C8, produce a car with no "mistakes". that can spread across different trim levels from 70-140K and redefine the entire sports car market.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:59 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

Gauge and display cluster is fine, shifter and the entire center console assembly is a mess.

Get notified of new replies

To First Competitor is out

Old 11-29-2018, 10:09 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

"A manual transmission will be offered at a later date."

At least one of the best car companies in the world knows what it's customers want.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Which of these looks most like the shifter?

Or...

Carvin (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:09 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The instrument panel is fantastic, clean and bold with no extraneous "zoomy" graphics. Benz has been doing even more impressive digital instrument panels lately.

Infotainment systems do not belong in sports cars period.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Competitor is out