GM capacity - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM capacity

Old 11-28-2018, 09:33 AM
  #1  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,485
Thanked 268 Times in 203 Posts
Default GM capacity

In the news today........

ABANDONMENT ISSUES

GM executives have said they do not intend to abandon cars to the extent that Ford and FCA have. GM car plants that will remain open include Fairfax, Kansas, which builds the Chevrolet Malibu and Cadillac XT4 compact SUV. But that plant is operating at 48 percent of capacity, well below the 80 percent that GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is targeting as the average for North America.

A GM plant in Lansing, Michigan, that builds the Cadillac ATS and CTS and Chevrolet Camaro is running at just 33 percent capacity, while the GM Orion Township, Michigan, facility that builds the Chevrolet Bolt electric car and the Chevrolet Sonic subcompact runs at 34 percent capacity. A Bowling Green, Kentucky, plant that builds the Chevrolet Corvette sports car works at just 27 percent of its potential output, according to LMC data.

"Until GM gets more flexibility in its platforms, it will continue to have to play whack-a-mole with its plants as the market transitions - and it will happen again," said LMC analyst Bill Rinna.

Greg00Coupe is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg00Coupe For This Useful Post:
Mikegerm_C5 (12-02-2018), Philr56 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 PM
  #2  
nyca
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Posts: 135
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Caddy is decimated - they will build one sedan now - the CTS. And how long will that survive? Not long. Imagine Cadillac without a sedan, and only SUVs. It's a joke.
nyca is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 AM
  #3  
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Canton Ohio
Posts: 5,485
Thanked 268 Times in 203 Posts
Default

I guess I’m not laughing! Companies respond to us we make these things happen. We buy SUVs sedans die.

We go to Amazon Sears dies.

I had my first experience replacing a lifetime tool at Home Depot this week, much harder then craftsman walk in walk out service.

Some customer service benefits in the old days were worth the price, get what you pay for.
Greg00Coupe is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greg00Coupe For This Useful Post:
entologix (12-01-2018), Mikegerm_C5 (12-02-2018), purple heart (12-02-2018), skank (12-02-2018), trooper (12-01-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:57 AM
  #4  
vrybad
CF Senior Member
 
vrybad's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: CT
Posts: 3,705
Thanked 62 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe View Post
I guess Iím not laughing! Companies respond to us we make these things happen. We buy SUVs sedans die.

We go to Amazon Sears dies.

I had my first experience replacing a lifetime tool at Home Depot this week, much harder then craftsman walk in walk out service.

Some customer service benefits in the old days were worth the price, get what you pay for.
Well said.
vrybad is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 10:00 AM
  #5  
AORoads
CF Senior Member
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 43,140
Thanked 1,263 Times in 1,060 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"
Default

27% of capacity for BG is close to 1/4 of full output. It IS winter for half the country, but still....that might idle 25%.

I'm not sure the LMC person is correct re platforms. It seems more to do with very large corporations being able to turn quickly, or eliminate products and whole product lines swiftly. This has to factor in human resource management, i.e., layoffs, continuing salaries/wages/benefits, cost of idling all or partial physical plant and then restart costs, etc. These are the (relatively) good times for the U.S. and some believe it's better to act now than wait for the worst of times.
AORoads is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM
  #6  
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member
 
rmorin1249's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 5,626
Thanked 1,161 Times in 826 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18
Default

Plants operating at less than 75% capacity is troublesome. Ms. Barra is doing what any good CEO should do; make tough but decisive decisions to maximize efficiency and profits. GM has to do this in order to survive. If the C8 doesn't sell, Corvette may go the way of Saturn, Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Time will tell.
rmorin1249 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 10:11 AM
  #7  
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member
 
Zjoe6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: West Bend Wisconsin
Posts: 1,592
Thanked 341 Times in 267 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe View Post
I guess Iím not laughing! Companies respond to us we make these things happen. We buy SUVs sedans die.

We go to Amazon Sears dies.

I had my first experience replacing a lifetime tool at Home Depot this week, much harder then craftsman walk in walk out service.

Some customer service benefits in the old days were worth the price, get what you pay for.
This is exactly what the truth is. We bitch about stuff we cause. Denial is a bitch.
Zjoe6 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zjoe6 For This Useful Post:
Boiler_81 (11-29-2018), purple heart (12-02-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:10 PM
  #8  
LawrenceFromTorrance
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Oakhurst Ca
Posts: 995
Thanked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Default

I know this is not the current situation for GM but in the near future many more factory job will disappear due to artificial intelligence and robotics. The car companies that will do the best will probably have the most AI and robots which says that the unskilled labor force will have more and more unemployment. These are the people that will be voting for socialism because socialism is more or less a free handouts to unskilled people. Once socialism becomes a reality the incentive to get a skill and/or an education will disappear for the majority of young people (why even work if life possible without any effort) . The world is changing very fast right now and we need to think how to solve many problems that are becoming more and more obvious. Man has always been a predator faced with doing to survive I don't want us to become herbivores and just feed on the handouts.

Wow, I really I really did go off didn't I
LawrenceFromTorrance is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LawrenceFromTorrance For This Useful Post:
skank (12-02-2018), vettedna (12-01-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM
  #9  
dreamr616
CF Senior Member
 
dreamr616's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Location: Swartz Creek MI
Posts: 248
Thanked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by nyca View Post
Caddy is decimated - they will build one sedan now - the CTS. And how long will that survive? Not long. Imagine Cadillac without a sedan, and only SUVs. It's a joke.
I think Cadillac is getting ready to introduce a new sedan (CT4) to replace the ATS and CTS early next year. But with both the XTS and CT6 getting canned that will only leave them one sedan to market. I understand Cadillac is also working on a smaller SUV (XT3) as well. Doesn't look like they'll have a sedan in the bigger luxury segment, at least in the near future. I'm surprised they decided to dump the CT6 because that was just introduce a couple of years ago.
dreamr616 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 02:43 PM
  #10  
RonnieC6Z
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Posts: 967
Thanked 165 Times in 49 Posts
Default

BG operating at 27% capacity simply means that there is very little demand, at this point in time, for the 2019 C7 Corvette. Come next summer when production of the 2020 ME C8 Corvette begins, BG will be at 100% capacity for quite some time.
RonnieC6Z is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 08:34 PM
  #11  
Tom73
CF Senior Member
 
Tom73's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 1999
Location: NM
Posts: 13,007
Thanked 77 Times in 49 Posts
Default

No one bothers to define the terms we are using. What is “capacity”? And is that different from maximum capacity?

i would that that a plants capacity is the maximum that it is capable of producing. That would be three shifts a day, seven days a week (with some break time for maintenance). So if one shift is producing 33 - 35,000 units, then max capacity would be around 100,000 units. No way the Vette will ever sell that many. If you figure 100k as capacity then I would agree that they are at 27% of capacity.
Tom73 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom73 For This Useful Post:
Foosh (12-02-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:32 PM
  #12  
LawrenceFromTorrance
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Oakhurst Ca
Posts: 995
Thanked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom73 View Post
No one bothers to define the terms we are using. What is “capacity”? And is that different from maximum capacity?

i would that that a plants capacity is the maximum that it is capable of producing. That would be three shifts a day, seven days a week (with some break time for maintenance). So if one shift is producing 33 - 35,000 units, then max capacity would be around 100,000 units. No way the Vette will ever sell that many. If you figure 100k as capacity then I would agree that they are at 27% of capacity.
Good question, so if there is only one shift running at full capacity (this seems normal for a business) then I would say this is 33% of (maximum) capacity. Looking at it this way 27% capacity is not really that bad for a specialty car like the Corvette.

Last edited by LawrenceFromTorrance; 11-30-2018 at 01:33 PM.
LawrenceFromTorrance is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:30 PM
  #13  
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 32,215
Thanked 2,944 Times in 2,019 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LawrenceFromTorrance View Post
I know this is not the current situation for GM but in the near future many more factory job will disappear due to artificial intelligence and robotics. The car companies that will do the best will probably have the most AI and robots which says that the unskilled labor force will have more and more unemployment. These are the people that will be voting for socialism because socialism is more or less a free handouts to unskilled people. Once socialism becomes a reality the incentive to get a skill and/or an education will disappear for the majority of young people (why even work if life possible without any effort) . The world is changing very fast right now and we need to think how to solve many problems that are becoming more and more obvious. Man has always been a predator faced with doing to survive I don't want us to become herbivores and just feed on the handouts.

Wow, I really I really did go off didn't I
The lines are fairly automated already. GM learned the sad lesson of trying to use robots in every job 30 years ago. Nobody except Tesla has repeated that learning experience and now Tesla has verified the lessons learned back then. There are some jobs that are best done by robots and some that are best done by thinking, opinioned and flawed human beings.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 AM
  #14  
NORTY
CF Senior Member
 
NORTY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Carlsbad Ca
Posts: 8,550
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tom73 View Post
No one bothers to define the terms we are using. What is ďcapacityĒ? And is that different from maximum capacity?

i would that that a plants capacity is the maximum that it is capable of producing. That would be three shifts a day, seven days a week (with some break time for maintenance). So if one shift is producing 33 - 35,000 units, then max capacity would be around 100,000 units. No way the Vette will ever sell that many. If you figure 100k as capacity then I would agree that they are at 27% of capacity.
I cringe at the possibility of 100,000 units during a model year.
Look what is happening to Harley Davidson to see what would happen once the demand is over supplied...
NORTY is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 08:04 AM
  #15  
Bikerjulio
CF Senior Member
 
Bikerjulio's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Sunny Niagara
Posts: 268
Thanked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Default

I don't believe 3 shifts are practical. Full capacity would be 2 x 10 hour shifts. There is time needed for shift changeover, and for maintenance. At least this is how Ford in Oakville were running when I visited.
Bikerjulio is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 09:07 AM
  #16  
LIStingray
CF Senior Member
 
LIStingray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Long Island New York
Posts: 1,964
Thanked 281 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio View Post
I don't believe 3 shifts are practical. Full capacity would be 2 x 10 hour shifts. There is time needed for shift changeover, and for maintenance. At least this is how Ford in Oakville were running when I visited.
For the Bowling Green plant, full capacity is twelve 10 hour shifts per week, but many plants can and do run three 8 hours shifts, also 6 days per week. Currently at BG they are running five 8 hour shifts per week with the line at reduced flow speed.
LIStingray is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 09:25 AM
  #17  
C2C3C4C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Glen Cove New York
Posts: 171
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Cadillac is in trouble because their cars look stupid.
C2C3C4C6 is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 09:27 AM
  #18  
C2C3C4C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Glen Cove New York
Posts: 171
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Agree, unless the entry level C8's price is astronomical there should be a health waiting list.
C2C3C4C6 is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 AM
  #19  
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member
 
rmorin1249's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 5,626
Thanked 1,161 Times in 826 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18
Default

The BG Assembly Plant can build C8s and the Cadillac ME car to meet the demand and then when it slacks off they can build a midsize CUV/SUV with a Corvette or Cadillac high performance engine to keep the plant running at a profitable pace.
rmorin1249 is offline  
Old 12-01-2018, 12:05 PM
  #20  
LawrenceFromTorrance
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Oakhurst Ca
Posts: 995
Thanked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
The lines are fairly automated already. GM learned the sad lesson of trying to use robots in every job 30 years ago. Nobody except Tesla has repeated that learning experience and now Tesla has verified the lessons learned back then. There are some jobs that are best done by robots and some that are best done by thinking, opinioned and flawed human beings.

Bill
Well you're right but those mundane jobs done over and over that are still done by humans will disappear. What I see is that most jobs that don't require abstract thinking will go to robots. It's interesting that humans are competing with robots. With so much protecting of humans these days 'natural selection' is somewhat stifled whereas robots are evolving very fast. I think that the US should do what China is doing behind closed doors, that is genetic manipulation of the human genome. We can make the 6 million dollar man (just joking here) but we can definitely improve mankind.
LawrenceFromTorrance is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: