Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Engine Key leaked *New*

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:05 PM
GrampZ
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

I like how the fob actuates the frunk, rear hatch, AND retractable roof.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:16 PM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

From Jeff V. link

Long Term Confidentiality- Does this application include a request for confidentiality for any portion(s) of the data contained in this application pursuant to 47 CFR § 0.459 of the Commission Rules?: Yes

Short-Term ConfidentialityDoes short-term confidentiality apply to this application?: Yes

If so, specify the short-term confidentiality release date (MM/DD/YYYY format): 11/20/2018
Note: If no date is supplied, the release date will be set to 45 calendar days past the date of grant.

Last edited by norge1956; 11-28-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:33 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

For Christ's sake, when are people going to realize that the whole notion of a mid-engine Corvette is nothing more than fake news. Nope...it's never gonna happen. I would bet my kids and everything holy that GM will never produce a mid-engine Corvette. Plus, with another depression right around the corner, migrants being gassed at our borders and GM laying off most of its employees, this certainly isn't the time for some crazy change to the traditional front engine configuration.
The following users liked this post:
vdavenp802 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:36 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
For Christ's sake, when are people going to realize that the whole notion of a mid-engine Corvette is nothing more than fake news. Nope...it's never gonna happen. I would bet my kids and everything holy that GM will never produce a mid-engine Corvette. Plus, with another depression right around the corner, migrants being gassed at our borders and GM laying off most of its employees, this certainly isn't the time for some crazy change to the traditional front engine configuration.
Where do I take this bet?
The following 2 users liked this post by 84 4+3:
edved (11-29-2018), entologix (12-01-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Except that there's been references to a Y2 project on LinkedIn and other automotive industry sites. So either this B1 designation has nothing to do with the car's platform, or there's something else going on here.
Thanks for your reply Jeff,
The Y1 and Y2 stuff,can be many things...
Example :
a.Y1 is coupe,Y2 retractble hard top(both corvettes)
In engineering speak,the chassis in a mid engine platform can have slight modifications to accommodate a retracting roof in front of the engine.

Or

b.Y1 is corvette,Y2 is Cadillac XLR(retractable
hardtop)

Old 11-28-2018, 05:50 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Appears to be same as the Cadillac fob we saw early November.

Cadillac

Corvette

Only news here is what may be the new C8 emblem.

Last edited by Tom73; 11-28-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:02 PM
GMAN78OR
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I am going to remain cautiously optimistic that this is the "final" version of the emblem / fob. The plastic around the emblem looks way different than the caddy one and the rest of the key. It looks more like it was 3d printed and the emblem was stuck in there. Where as the caddy emblem side looks like the regular textured fob plastic. Granted, this was submitted months ago so it may have been a prototype for the emblem side, but the tacky 3d printed look leaves me skeptic. Also, it could be chevy trolling us because that emblem looks awfully a lot like an early emblem that someone posted on this forum months ago.....or was it a leak????
Old 11-28-2018, 06:04 PM
Newdude
Pro

Received 492 Likes on 244 Posts

So much for that Cadillac fob being a fake and a photochop...

2 car theory has A LOT of weight behind it now...

Excuse me whilst I proceed to procure some hot air corn kernels.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7

Thanks for your reply Jeff,
The Y1 and Y2 stuff,can be many things...
Example :
a.Y1 is coupe,Y2 retractble hard top(both corvettes)
In engineering speak,the chassis in a mid engine platform can have slight modifications to accommodate a retracting roof in front of the engine.

Or

b.Y1 is corvette,Y2 is Cadillac XLR(retractable
hardtop)

By GMs current platform codes, Y1BC is the C7 coupe and Y1AC is the C7 convertible.

A1BC is the 6th gen Camaro. A1SL is the Cadillac ATS sedan. A1LL is the CTS. All are Alpha 1 platform cars. Current (and just cancelled) Cruze was D2xx. Delta 2. Etc etc.

Y2xx would be the successor to Y1xx.

B1xx would be something totally new. Or, as I said, I'm just reading way too much into this.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by GMAN78OR
I am going to remain cautiously optimistic that this is the "final" version of the emblem / fob. The plastic around the emblem looks way different than the caddy one and the rest of the key. It looks more like it was 3d printed and the emblem was stuck in there. Where as the caddy emblem side looks like the regular textured fob plastic. Granted, this was submitted months ago so it may have been a prototype for the emblem side, but the tacky 3d printed look leaves me skeptic. Also, it could be chevy trolling us because that emblem looks awfully a lot like an early emblem that someone posted on this forum months ago.....or was it a leak????
I also thought it looked 3D printed. It's also possible this is a 'pre-production' version as noted, and the Cadillac fob is a later, production version.

That C8 speculation emblem was just a squished and stretched C7 emblem. The flags didn't meet in the middle like this one, and the point was less pronounced. Given how the last few logos have looked, it didn't take a grand imagination to figure out this is the route they'd go. I'm actually pretty disappointed. With as big a change as the mid-engine layout is supposed to be, I'd have thought they'd use a significantly different logo. The change from C3 to C4 was more drastic than this.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

The good thing about it is that they already made 3,365 of them.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:19 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Use a little logic, folks! This clearly suggests there is a model year '20 ME Corvette on the horizon, but, as well, it also might show the potential of a Cadillac version of the ME. Hence that FOB. That might be very exotic! The BG Plant is certainly large enough to make models for both companies as well as models of right hand drive versions to be sold in countries that drive in that manner. The real measure of enlarging BG may have, potentially, included the foresight to accommodate relocating current, qualified employees there. With GM closing several plants, the union contracts allow for the offers of certain employees to relocate. It's getting very interesting.
The following 2 users liked this post by ltomn:
edved (11-29-2018), elegant (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:25 PM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 876 Likes on 447 Posts

Cadillac XLR return in midengine form or Cien?
entologix (12-01-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:27 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Anyone's guess but Cadillac is known for cutting edge designs and luxurious interiors. This may be very interesting!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:37 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Finaly something, more to come
GundamX7X (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by keagan
Cadillac XLR return in midengine form or Cien?
Could be possible.....
Old 11-28-2018, 06:41 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GMAN78OR
Notice the main face area where the emblem goes for the Corvette key, it almost looks like they took the Cadillac key, removed the emblem, grind out the shape indent and then stuck the Corvette logo on it. The Cadillac key is nice and smooth while the Vette key is rough around the emblem.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Engine Key leaked *New*

Old 11-28-2018, 06:56 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by GOC
Notice the main face area where the emblem goes for the Corvette key, it almost looks like they took the Cadillac key, removed the emblem, grind out the shape indent and then stuck the Corvette logo on it. The Cadillac key is nice and smooth while the Vette key is rough around the emblem.

It's rough because it's a 3D Print. I use 3D printing tech as part of my job and it looks exactly like this.

With a layer resolution of about .003 to .004 inches per layer, the curved surface expose the layering of the additive manufacturing process.

The patent application may indeed indicate pre-production, but the picture here is certainly not a pre-production part. Pre-production units don't use 3D printed parts, prototype stage parts do. That is, if you are using injection molding of plastic pieces.

There actually exists resin 3D printing that is 30% carbon fiber and that stuff is really strong for 3D printing.Tech is getting better and better.
MrBrightside (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 07:10 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
It's rough because it's a 3D Print. I use 3D printing tech as part of my job and it looks exactly like this.

With a layer resolution of about .003 to .004 inches per layer, the curved surface expose the layering of the additive manufacturing process.

The patent application may indeed indicate pre-production, but the picture here is certainly not a pre-production part. Pre-production units don't use 3D printed parts, prototype stage parts do. That is, if you are using injection molding of plastic pieces.

There actually exists resin 3D printing that is 30% carbon fiber and that stuff is really strong for 3D printing.Tech is getting better and better.

So only that part where the emblem sits is 3D printed? The rest is nice and clean and the Cadillac key looks like a real thing.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

The fob and logo look like crap, great. Hopefully the car doesn't follow suit but not loving the renders.

Quick Reply: Mid Engine Key leaked *New*