Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Engine Key leaked *New*

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:29 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedeekay
Maybe the two mid engine cars that have different wheels that were spied are a corvette and a cadillac? I wonder which wheels the corvette will use if this is the case.

Corvette?

Cadillac?

Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
They wouldn't have submitted this to the FCC unless it was representative of the final part. They haven't started building CTF vehicles either. CTF cars are regular, albeit early, normal production cars. The cars we're seeing now are IVERs. They're largely hand built and can never, ever be sold.
No, what we've recently seen are captured test fleet cars. They were built on the BGA line last July-August. This is the Production Process Validation phase in which they assemble the vehicles at the designated production facility for the first time and test them at GM's two proving grounds and in the wild. Typically the PPV takes 6 to 9 months - bet on 9 months for an entirely new platform like the C8.

The IVERs are hand built at the Tech Center in Warren (at the PPO facility) and they were some of the first photos we saw of the C8 prototype. GM are long past the IVER phase.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
elegant (11-29-2018), NewYuriCity (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
T

now some people are saying the key fob on the c8 corvette isnt good enough?

when all people do is dig...you go pretty low..

its a f ing key fob..

It's about attention to details and it matters to a lot of people. The key FOB of a car is actually like a jewelry accessory and if it wasn't that important then many of the high-end brands would not spend so much in creating a substantial piece. Sure some are still using bland FOB's but look at some of the nicer ones and you'll know.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CliffB-99
I still don't see the pent-up demand in the Cadillac customer base for a high-performance coupe. The XLR was a sales failure, along with the Allante before that in the early 90's. Last decent coupe seller was the Eldorado, much more luxury than sporty. Cadillac buyers want big Escalades. I'm hoping I'm wrong because I want Cadillac to be successful, but history is not in Cadillac's favor on this one.
I don't think sales were bad for the XLR because it had a Cadillac badge, I think it because (aside from the V version) the XLR was a worse Corvette with a high price tag. If they deliver a Cadillac that puts down similar performance to the Corvette so you don't feel like you're paying more for less it might sway a few high end buyers.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:49 PM
edved
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Isn't it amazing that those that were responsible in assembly of these vehicles are not leaking or haven't leaked greater details of the cars? I mean the White House has more leakers than GM!!! How is this possible?
Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by edved
Isn't it amazing that those that were responsible in assembly of these vehicles are not leaking or haven't leaked greater details of the cars? I mean the White House has more leakers than GM!!! How is this possible?

My manufacturing team won't see anything on a new product until a few weeks before production is ready. Development is often completely invisible to most other parts of the company.

If I wanted to keep a new product secret until I wanted to release it, I could ensure that no more than 5 people see the product. Of course, I'm not building cars so the minimum size of a team involved in designing a car is necessarily going to be much larger than that.

It's conceivable that less than 100 people have seen this car either in rendered format or in person in final form.

Last edited by C7pimp; 11-29-2018 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7pimp:
edved (11-29-2018), vndkshn (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:30 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I personally believe that every employee at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant has seen the car. That's a lot more than 100.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:44 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Exactly Jag; and not just BGA employees but also top “tier one” suppliers, and some other individuals.

They have made a bunch of ME’s at BG, including the four that went to the N’Ring. It takes a lot of individuals to make a car — especialy when they are testing (thankfully successfully), that the ME’s assembly would work well at BGA.

Last edited by elegant; 11-29-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Boiler_81 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:24 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Exactly Jag; and not just BGA employees but also top “tier one” suppliers, and some other individuals.

They have made a bunch of ME’s at BG, including the four that went to the N’Ring. It takes a lot of individuals to make a car — especialy when they are testing (thankfully successfully), that the ME’s assembly would work well at BGA.

Yes and no. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone that works there knows. Small groups in off time building them scattered would work too. If I had to guess theres 50 rolling around and they built ~200 test cars. Speculation on my part says they chose who built them and know the names of everyone and what they did that way if anything slips that isn't a controlled leak they know. But yes. Manufacturers and suppliers know they are building a front clip or door panel for unnamed GM test mule #27 with revision 3 or whatever. The people who have seen the real deal are both trusted and well known and probably don't want to risk their job.

Then again for all we know they're building them on the line right now and hiding them in the back closet and everyone has seen it that works there. Really who knows lol. It'd be pretty cool if GM were actually that tight on production. But I'm going to have to agree with you, a lot of people at this point have probably seen it and know. Not every detail as it may have some tweaks but looking at it, I'd say its >80% there at a minimum.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:34 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
$250,000 Aventador key

$30ish thousand dollar Audi key

Both of which are nicer than the cheap *** C6/C7 key. But still, parts bin sharing isn't limited to GM.

Hell, the million dollar Veyron has the same key as a $20k Jetta. It's just got a leather wrap on it.
Don't think either the Lambo or Audi fobs look any better than my C7 Z06 fob to be honest. In fact, they look terrible for cars like that.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:41 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

^^^^ Cars like what? A Corvette sits above most Audi's.....Lambo is a different story.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:30 PM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Elegant is correct, this is typical of new vehicle launches. The assembly plant needs to build to near production conditions, The OEM engineers and tier one suppliers need to support the builds and respond to any issues. A heck of a lot of people have seen the C8. The vast majority of them can keep their mouth shut.

Originally Posted by elegant

Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller
I don't think sales were bad for the XLR because it had a Cadillac badge, I think it because (aside from the V version) the XLR was a worse Corvette with a high price tag. If they deliver a Cadillac that puts down similar performance to the Corvette so you don't feel like you're paying more for less it might sway a few high end buyers.
I bought a 2005 XLR new.
The car ran perfectly for years.
It had only one problem: everything in the cabin squeaked when being driven...incredibly irritating.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Yes and no. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone that works there knows. Small groups in off time building them scattered would work too. If I had to guess theres 50 rolling around and they built ~200 test cars. Speculation on my part says they chose who built them and know the names of everyone and what they did that way if anything slips that isn't a controlled leak they know. But yes. Manufacturers and suppliers know they are building a front clip or door panel for unnamed GM test mule #27 with revision 3 or whatever. The people who have seen the real deal are both trusted and well known and probably don't want to risk their job.

Then again for all we know they're building them on the line right now and hiding them in the back closet and everyone has seen it that works there. Really who knows lol. It'd be pretty cool if GM were actually that tight on production. But I'm going to have to agree with you, a lot of people at this point have probably seen it and know. Not every detail as it may have some tweaks but looking at it, I'd say its >80% there at a minimum.
I'm pretty sure they built a few like that early on and then built several more on the line with their usual line personnel during normal C7 production.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Did the 2005 Corvette interiors squeak? Was it the retractable roof?
Old 11-29-2018, 10:03 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
It's about attention to details and it matters to a lot of people. The key FOB of a car is actually like a jewelry accessory and if it wasn't that important then many of the high-end brands would not spend so much in creating a substantial piece. Sure some are still using bland FOB's but look at some of the nicer ones and you'll know.
That is a trait I hope does not take hold on the Corvette brand.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:14 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
I'm pretty sure they built a few like that early on and then built several more on the line with their usual line personnel during normal C7 production.
That sounds about right. It is pretty impressive that everyone stays quiet though.
jagamajajaran (11-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Engine Key leaked *New*

Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLooking
That has been a staple on other GM remotes recently. You.push the button and pull on the bottom ring to pull off the lower chrome wrap. The bottom has a physical key attached and exposed when pulled apart. It is used to get into the car if the remote battery is dead or car battery is dead.

Also I recently and unfortunately found out that this.unlocks the spare tire lock on the Escalade. Dang screws.
​​​​​
Thanks for the info, had no idea. Our 13 Yukon Denali has the regular key fob, that's pretty good idea though.

PC
Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
^^^^ Cars like what? A Corvette sits above most Audi's.....Lambo is a different story.
It's a lame key fob for an Aventador or an R8, both of which are significantly more expensive than a 'Vette.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

^^^ True

Quick Reply: Mid Engine Key leaked *New*