Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Engine Key leaked *New*

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
That is a trait I hope does not take hold on the Corvette brand.
Really? That's sad! Thankfully, GM hasn't listened to some of the people with mediocre standards otherwise the Corvette would still be a sh*t bucket as it was years ago!
Old 11-30-2018, 12:23 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
Don't think either the Lambo or Audi fobs look any better than my C7 Z06 fob to be honest. In fact, they look terrible for cars like that.
Ever held one in your hand? Even the base Audi fob feels heavy and substantial, with nice textures to the metal and plastic bits.

The C7 fob feels like it was made by Fisher Price. It's light and cheap feeling.
The following users liked this post:
DaveFerrari458 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Did the 2005 Corvette interiors squeak? Was it the retractable roof?
Don't know about the 2005 Vette.

The XLR had the nifty retractable hardtop, which was very cool.
But it squeaked...so did everything else in the interior (or so it seemed).
Old 11-30-2018, 02:23 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Ever held one in your hand? Even the base Audi fob feels heavy and substantial, with nice textures to the metal and plastic bits.

The C7 fob feels like it was made by Fisher Price. It's light and cheap feeling.
I don't really care about how it feels...it's not like I spend a lot of time fondling my key fob. I merely pointed out that it looks like garbage for something that comes with a $400k car.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

For something you put in your pocket light is the most important characteristic.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:19 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,953 Likes on 940 Posts

Guys - lets take a step back for a second...those C8 keys look as fake as photos of Big Foot. They may be the accurate in terms of shape and size (cant argue for or against that) but no way would GM make a C8 logo look that sloppy...NO WAY. Look at how clean the C7 key logo looks - even the C6 logo is clean and crisp on my FOB...and that's after 13 years worth of usage...compare for yourself...

Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Why are you guys bitching about a key FOB? With a modern car it never leaves your pocket. Part of how GM gives us these cars for less is using their economies of scale. If that means using an existing FOB with a new logo then fine. That's not what I care about.... at all.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:25 AM
GMAN78OR
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with you mayor. I just was thinking it was a super early prototype. 3D printed black housing with a placeholder emblem. If you look at the Caddy one it looks nice and detailed like the C7 fob.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:09 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Summary of thread:
Some people think the new fob looks too cheap for a Vette.
Same people say the car is a going to cost $60k.

Umm,.... At that price point, they have to take advantage of the parts bin and put lipstick on a pig.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:37 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NY09C6
For something you put in your pocket light is the most important characteristic.
C7 fob = 1.5oz
Audi fob = 2.1oz

I had one left over from when I owned an S5, so I weighed it. You're not going to notice an extra half ounce in your pocket. But it feels nicer in your hand partially due to the extra weight.

This doesn't change my enjoyment of the car one bit. But it's just another one of those details that cause people to not view Corvette as a premium product.
DaveFerrari458 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

C7 fob = 1.5oz
Audi fob = 2.1oz

I had one left over from when I owned an S5, so I weighed it. You're not going to notice an extra half ounce in your pocket. But it feels nicer in your hand partially due to the extra weight.

This doesn't change my enjoyment of the car one bit. But it's just another one of those details that cause people to not view Corvette as a premium product.
I think you're the only person I've ever heard say that the Corvette's reputation is lessened by the texture and feel of the key fob. I'm truly at a loss right now.
Boiler_81 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:41 AM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Unfortunately some of the usual suspects are out and they're ok with Walmart qualities in certain aspects of the Corvette or in their life. It's one of those things that if you have to explain it then no point in continuing. Anyways when one is paying $70K, $100K or $160K+ for a car, there should be certain quality standards that come with that high-line item.

A key FOB is not a make or break it deal for me with the Corvette but I would like a nicer more substantial key FOB.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:02 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Guys - lets take a step back for a second...those C8 keys look as fake as photos of Big Foot. They may be the accurate in terms of shape and size (cant argue for or against that) but no way would GM make a C8 logo look that sloppy...NO WAY. Look at how clean the C7 key logo looks - even the C6 logo is clean and crisp on my FOB...and that's after 13 years worth of usage...compare for yourself...

If you look at that side of the FOB, it appears to have been 3D printed. . .
Old 11-30-2018, 12:17 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458

Unfortunately some of the usual suspects are out and they're ok with Walmart qualities in certain aspects of the Corvette or in their life. It's one of those things that if you have to explain it then no point in continuing. Anyways when one is paying $70K, $100K or $160K+ for a car, there should be certain quality standards that come with that high-line item.

A key FOB is not a make or break it deal for me with the Corvette but I would like a nicer more substantial key FOB.
If that's directed at me I'm not a "usual suspect" and I'm not OK with "Wal-Mart quality" in my life. I just think obsessing over the texture and feel of a key fob is f***ing stupid. We're talking about a mid-engine sports car here, not a little piece of electronics that should remain in your pocket 95% of the time. This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts about this forum.
trumanjd1 (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:20 PM
Timz16
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

C7 fob = 1.5oz
Audi fob = 2.1oz

Call me unsophisticated, but I will give up half an ounce in key fob weight to save $100k on entry price. To me, the beauty of Corvette is supercar performance at a moderate price. I'm not a player at $170k, and I suspect a very large percentage of current Vette owners would be out as well.
BMadden (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:38 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Timz16
Call me unsophisticated, but I will give up half an ounce in key fob weight to save $100k on entry price. To me, the beauty of Corvette is supercar performance at a moderate price. I'm not a player at $170k, and I suspect a very large percentage of current Vette owners would be out as well.
My S5 was 65k new. Their base A3/A4/A5 cars start in the low to mid 30s. They come with nice keys, and premium interiors, among other things. I don't see your point.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:22 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BMadden
If that's directed at me I'm not a "usual suspect" and I'm not OK with "Wal-Mart quality" in my life. I just think obsessing over the texture and feel of a key fob is f***ing stupid. We're talking about a mid-engine sports car here, not a little piece of electronics that should remain in your pocket 95% of the time. This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts about this forum.
It's directed at some people as a whole. No one is obsessing about a FOB, but like I said it's the little things that matter specially on high-line brands. A car that is currently $60-150K is definitely a high-line brand. And no Walmart quality does not belong in this price category! Again, if it needs to be explained then no need to continue! And I (and many) can say the acceptance of mediocrity just to save a few bucks and keep the Corvette down drives me nuts!!!

Last edited by DaveFerrari458; 11-30-2018 at 01:23 PM.
skank (12-01-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Mid Engine Key leaked *New*

Old 11-30-2018, 01:29 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

It's directed at some people as a whole. No one is obsessing about a FOB, but like I said it's the little things that matter specially on high-line brands. A car that is currently $60-150K is definitely a high-line brand. And no Walmart quality does not belong in this price category! Again, if it needs to be explained then no need to continue! And I (and many) can say the acceptance of mediocrity just to save a few bucks and keep the Corvette down drives me nuts!!!
A little more here, a little more there and you get scope creep and end up with a more expensive car than you intended to hit margin goals. The Caddy key has perfectly fine finish. This whole discussion is moot as the C8 logo'd FOB is clearly rapid prototyped.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I don't care what the FOB looks like as long as it's 100% functional. I'm more concerned about it's size than it's appearance.. I want the FOB as small, and as thin, as possible, so it fits comfortably in my pants pocket.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:42 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I get what you're saying. But at the same time the guys designing the parts for this car have a hand in cruzes, Sonics, pickups etc. They're not coming from a background of "Only the best." They're coming from a background of "make it work and look alright." The C5 fob was literally the same fob gm used across all models... they've gotten better and sometimes hit some elements out of the park. For who they are and what they're doing with what they have, I am not complaining. GM isn't banking on corvette sales to survive, the car could disappear tomorrow for all they care. (Although the B.G. expansion was done for some reason.) That's how I see it anyway lol.

Quick Reply: Mid Engine Key leaked *New*