Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE - says Corvette Mike Vietro

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 12:34 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 868 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
That's not a very good source.
Spande did an interview where he made that statement. Find the interview and you will find the quote.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Spande did an interview where he made that statement. Find the interview and you will find the quote.
Sure ok. I'll spend the rest of the day looking for a source for you. Anything else, boss?

Old 12-04-2018, 12:54 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Let me 'splain it to you slowly.

CORVETTE capacity at BGA is 33,000 annually and Spande was likely referring to the ME.
TOTAL rated capacity by LMC assuming 2 shifts of 8 hours/day 6 days/week with line speed of 20/hour is 74,000 annually working 39 weeks
MAXIMUM capacity increasing the shifts to 10 hours/day and the weeks worked to 42 is 100,000 annually.

Obviously GM is not going to produce just 33K cars/year at BGA going forward, so other vehicles in addition to the ME will be built there using skillet line production.
You are full of contradictions. Why did you say and I quote, "Spande NEVER said that" and now you are saying he did?
GM hasn't even acknowledged they are making a ME so Spande couldn't be referring to that. In fact, he was talking about C7 production since that is what the whole presentation was about.
Everything you say has giant holes in it and you have absolutely no credibility at this point.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 12-04-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It really does feel like we're talking to a 14 yr. old here.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:18 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

It's hilarious how people get so angry and aggressive when it comes to stuff like this. None of of know as much as we think we do. We're all playing the waiting game until GM blesses us with the reveal or even a teaser. Relax guys.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I don't claim to know much at all. I simply report here what I'm told from people who are in a position to know current status. However, even they will be the first to admit that things like production plans, roll-out dates, etc. are not cast in stone at this point.

What is maddening is clueless folks who just make stuff up and have fun watching it go viral as if it's the truth. Nothing will be set until there is some sort of official GM announcement, and even then, things could change in response to economic factors.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-04-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't claim to know much at all. I simply report here what I'm told from people who are in a position to know. However, even they will be the first to admit that things like production plans, roll-out dates, etc. are not cast in stone at this point.

What is maddening is clueless folks who just make stuff up and have fun watching it go viral as if it's the truth.
I never said it was you. It's a Ion of people that are doing that. And honestly I'm so tired of "people in the know", becuase it seems that they are all saying stuff that contradicts another person "in the know" and it's all so annoying.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Everything you say has giant holes in it and you have absolutely no credibility at this point.
Then why are you reading what I post? Unfortunately, you cannot comprehend business concepts.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Didn't Mr. Spande indicate that the production line speed at BGA will be slowed down and they will not produce as many cars per day using the updated equipment? How many cars per day will they produce if they only run one 8 hour shift? Thanks and I hope I don't start a new argument.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Then why are you reading what I post? Unfortunately, you cannot comprehend business concepts.
Business concepts have nothing to do with contradicting yourself. Why do you make one comment in one thread and the exact opposite in another? Nice try to deflect but ultimately a failure.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
I never said it was you. It's a Ion of people that are doing that. And honestly I'm so tired of "people in the know", becuase it seems that they are all saying stuff that contradicts another person "in the know" and it's all so annoying.
That's a fair observation on "people in the know." All I can say about that is that I have a high degree of trust in the folks I've spoken with, and they are being very careful about what they say. They use a lot of terms like, "probably," "our best estimate at this time," "more than likely," and "things could change, but." I try to reflect that level of fuzziness in all my posts on this subject. That's why I went nuclear above when my favorite logic-challenged pundit clipped a post of mine and quoted me, trying to make it look like a categorical assertion I simply did not make.

The main thing that pushes my button is folks posting BS with categorical certainty. Those things can't possibly be true, because they pertain to final decisions that have not yet been made.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-04-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:02 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Didn't Mr. Spande indicate that the production line speed at BGA will be slowed down and they will not produce as many cars per day using the updated equipment? How many cars per day will they produce if they only run one 8 hour shift? Thanks and I hope I don't start a new argument.
At the NCM Bash last April, Spande said that production had been reduced to 11.5 cars/hour from 17.5 running one 8 hour shift 4 days/week. That is 368 cars/week which would be 15,000 cars/year operating 41 weeks.
Spande said production had been reduced because the C7 is in the 5th year of production and smoothing out the scheduled run enables the plant to operate continuously instead of stop/start which he said is very undesirable. He did not say that 11.5 cars/hour was the highest possible or that production could not be expanded to multiple shifts and longer workweeks. In fact, he pointed out that the plant had major improvements to materials handling and storage with much higher capacity than before.

Finally, Spande talked about integrating ZR1 production into the existing assembly line. He noted that the front half of the ZR1 is completely different from the Stingray and requires completely different methods of building it. Yet he said that there was no problem at all integrating the ZR1 production into the rest of the manufacturing operations. Everything went smoothly. The obvious implication is that different models can be built simultaneously at BGA even if they require much different techniques, processes and materials.

It is also obvious that BGA is not going to build just 15,000 cars/year going forward and Spande never put any number on what future production volumes would be.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:06 AM
R.I.B.S.
Melting Slicks

Location: On a Tropical Island in the South Pacific Roscoes Incredible BBQ Sensations
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran Chef
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I agree there is no comparison in size, My point was that GM can surely build more than one model in a single plant and based on posts above they are already doing it in a couple plants both in the US and China. I don't see any reason that the BG plant couldn't be reconfigured to build more than one model and if the Corvette ceases production it could be converted to build something else given all the money GM just put into it. Time will tell.
Maybee they could open an air conditioning mfg. facility?

Quick Reply: CORVETTE PLANT IS SAFE - says Corvette Mike Vietro