Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Ok ..... so the recent leaked key fobs prove to me:

A. The Midengine corvette is coming... soon
B. There will be a Cadillac variant (at some point)

and the small steel steel rotors on the Nurburgring test mules prove:

A: this will REPLACE the current C7
B: it will be priced compareitively to the outgoing C7 in base form.

Seems as simple as that...

Prove me wrong?

-Tyler
Old 11-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Plexoer
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 144 Posts

I tend to agree with you.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:04 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Seems accurate.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:35 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT

Prove me wrong?

-Tyler
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:52 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
Being able to buy a Midengine super car for 67k ought to be enough to drive sales higher than usual.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 387 Likes on 242 Posts

LOL, this post is loaded with funny!
The following users liked this post:
jrob56 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 10:57 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

If the C8 flops the BG Assembly Plant can be retooled to assemble other vehicles. I hope the smart people at GM have accurately estimated the sales of the C8 and new Cadillac such that the BG plant will be a profitable operation.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:59 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha

Being able to buy a Midengine super car for 67k ought to be enough to drive sales higher than usual.
Right. Being able to buy the equivalent of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which is the car the ME has been benchmarking for over a year, for $67K would be amazing. The Turbo S starts at $190K, however, so unless Corvette has a magic robot that can build cars for less than half the price of Porsche, your business case makes no sense. GM is not in the nonsense business since Mary Barra took over.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
I don’t even know if it’s funny or maybe a crying matter...
PCM is gonna have to eat so much crow...He’s gonna bring that bird species to extinction.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:01 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
That is being kind.

Last edited by NY09C6; 11-29-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:01 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Prove me wrong?

-Tyler
Yes Tyler ,we could close the thread.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pietro c7

I don’t even know if it’s funny or maybe a crying matter...
PCM is gonna have to eat so much crow...He’s gonna bring that bird species to extinction.
So Corvette is building a ME that will cost $60K? A glorified Fiero is not going to compete with anything.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:33 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Right. Being able to buy the equivalent of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which is the car the ME has been benchmarking for over a year, for $67K would be amazing. The Turbo S starts at $190K, however, so unless Corvette has a MAGIC robot that can build cars for less than half the price of Porsche, your business case makes no sense. GM is not in the nonsense business since Mary Barra took over.

Not sure how “Magic” it is but they sure do have some robots. Take the “Porsche” badge off and the price would fall tremendously right out of the gate..... plus I’m sure the BASE MEC8 isn’t going to directly compete with an upper level Turbo S but it may still give it a run for its money!

-Tyler
Old 11-30-2018, 08:53 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Right. Being able to buy the equivalent of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which is the car the ME has been benchmarking for over a year, for $67K would be amazing. The Turbo S starts at $190K, however, so unless Corvette has a magic robot that can build cars for less than half the price of Porsche, your business case makes no sense. GM is not in the nonsense business since Mary Barra took over.
The cost of a Porsche has a lot less to do with the manufacturing costs than the badge. Porsche has one of, if not the highest, profit per car of any manufacturer. A Porsche could cost (retail) significantly less and still be profitable for the company:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...n-a-sacred-cow
NewYuriCity (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:55 AM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Actually, there are precisely ZERO reasons to test a CTF car on a racetrack with anything other than the production brake package. The brakes are such an important part of the handling package such as ABS and stability control that even besides the fact it would make no sense to design and manufacture a brake package outside of the production specification the testing done would be essentially useless without the production brake package.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:01 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Not sure how “Magic” it is but they sure do have some robots. Take the “Porsche” badge off and the price would fall tremendously right out of the gate..... plus I’m sure the BASE MEC8 isn’t going to directly compete with an upper level Turbo S but it may still give it a run for its money!

-Tyler
I am pretty sure they have robots in Germany too and likely they are better than the ones we have. Please explain why the Corvette engineers have been benchmarking the ME against the Turbo S for more than a year if they don't intend the ME to compete with it? They should have been benchmarking against the Cayman GTS if that was the price target.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:04 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Agree with you other than the Caddy part. Just because there's a FOB that had a Caddy logo means nothing. The C8 FOB that just leaked clearly had a 3D printed rougher insert where the emblem goes. That part replaced the part with the Caddy emblem. My guess is they're using the "fanciest" FOB they have which was a Caddy unit, they updated the buttons for the ME shape/features needed and only recently added the C8 emblem to keep it under wraps. The front of the FOB has the same buttons/profile as the C8 emblem one.

We've seen no Caddy mules testing. Not saying it might not eventually happen, but I don't think it's currently happening.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I am pretty sure they have robots in Germany too and likely they are better than the ones we have. Please explain why the Corvette engineers have been benchmarking the ME against the Turbo S for more than a year if they don't intend the ME to compete with it? They should have been benchmarking against the Cayman GTS if that was the price target.
The current car competes on a performance level with the 911 but compares at a Cayman price point. Price does not always equal performance. Just because the Turbo may be a benchmark does not in anyway indicate that the base modle Vette is the car they intend to mark that performance level.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

I’m guessing for the same reasons they tested the C7 against the Ferrari 458, Audi R8, and Mclaren MP412-C as seen in the below photos prior to the C7 release.... all of these cars had retail prices in ‘13 of 150k-250k +. That doesn’t mean the corvette is going to be in that same price range.

-Tyler

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 11-30-2018 at 10:17 AM.
fasttoys (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Agree with you other than the Caddy part. Just because there's a FOB that had a Caddy logo means nothing. The C8 FOB that just leaked clearly had a 3D printed rougher insert where the emblem goes. That part replaced the part with the Caddy emblem. My guess is they're using the "fanciest" FOB they have which was a Caddy unit, they updated the buttons for the ME shape/features needed and only recently added the C8 emblem to keep it under wraps. The front of the FOB has the same buttons/profile as the C8 emblem one.

We've seen no Caddy mules testing. Not saying it might not eventually happen, but I don't think it's currently happening.

very good point! I also noticed the backing plate on the corvette fob looked 3D printed..... that caddy fob though is definitely past prototype stage.... it is premolded to receive the caddy logo.... and when turned over it clearly shows the mid engine car. They may possibly be using this same fob for future caddy cars though but wouldn’t have those front icons.

Quick Reply: Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.