Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:30 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,147 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT

very good point! I also noticed the backing plate on the corvette fob looked 3D printed..... that caddy fob though is definitely past prototype stage.... it is premolded to receive the caddy logo.... and when turned over it clearly shows the mid engine car. They may possibly be using this same fob for future caddy cars though but wouldn’t have those front icons.
I'm guessing the FOB unit is an existing Caddy FOB hence the Caddy logo. Anyone know what the CT6 FOB looks like? I'm saying they started with that and added me buttons and only lately added a C8 emblem piece.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I'm guessing the FOB unit is an existing Caddy FOB hence the Caddy logo. Anyone know what the CT6 FOB looks like? I'm saying they started with that and added me buttons and only lately added a C8 emblem piece.

Current CT6 and most other caddy fob.... it could definitely (and most likely) be the next generation caddy fob..... but why go through the process of putting the mid engine buttons in a future caddy only fob.... all valid points though!
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
I look at it from the other side. The first year the C8 will push production to the max and may result in OT to meet the demand (subject to any production issues). Second and third year will be full production. Year four and five may see a drop to the 20k to 25k range. Of course this is based on a realistic pricing point. If they try to turn the C8 into a halo car, all bets are off and the Vette is dead.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:50 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYuriCity
Actually, there are precisely ZERO reasons to test a CTF car on a racetrack with anything other than the production brake package. The brakes are such an important part of the handling package such as ABS and stability control that even besides the fact it would make no sense to design and manufacture a brake package outside of the production specification the testing done would be essentially useless without the production brake package.
IF the car in question was unwrapped (meaning all aero and airflow is production), THEN I would agree with everything you said. But, given the cars were still heavily wrapped, there are several possible reasons to test without the production brakes. Number 1 is simply internet buzz. Another is baselining the suspension (ride as much as anything else). Another is baselining things like the transmission, or steering, or... literally hundreds of things.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:54 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 857 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

. Of course this is based on a realistic pricing point. If they try to turn the C8 into a halo car, all bets are off and the Vette is dead.
Not for me. The ME is interesting, but hardly compelling given the styling and tricky handling, not to mention no manual or cargo space.
I would like to see a refreshed C7 Grand Sport with the Blackwing and 10 speed auto or 7 speed manual, plus heated steering wheel, blind spot monitor, etc. All for under $70K.
Also, I would like to see a Corvette SUV similar to the Lambo Urus. Am I dreaming?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:23 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

The ME is interesting, but hardly compelling given the styling and tricky handling, not to mention no manual or cargo space.
Car isn't even released and you already know exactly what it will look like, how it will handle, exactly what transmission options there will be and how much cargo room it has? One hell of a magic 8 ball you have there.
Steven Beaver (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:27 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Not for me. The ME is interesting, but hardly compelling given the styling and tricky handling, not to mention no manual or cargo space.
I would like to see a refreshed C7 Grand Sport with the Blackwing and 10 speed auto or 7 speed manual, plus heated steering wheel, blind spot monitor, etc. All for under $70K.
Also, I would like to see a Corvette SUV similar to the Lambo Urus. Am I dreaming?
Dreaming, probably. I feel the the ME will be the only model. Originally I thought there may be two models for a transition period but have moved over to the one model school of thought. If the FE should be extended for 1 - 2 years it would only be a basic car without any upgrades, just a base 2019 extended for a limited amount of time.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
LOL, this post is loaded with funny!
Indeed, most of PCM's posts on this subject have been a great source of entertainment for many us.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:28 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha

Being able to buy a Midengine super car for 67k ought to be enough to drive sales higher than usual.
Edited. In my humble opinion, the Corvette is not a super car.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 11-30-2018 at 11:28 AM.
bluman (12-08-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:35 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Edited. In my humble opinion, the Corvette is not a super car.
But it has or comes close to super car performance figures
Old 11-30-2018, 11:38 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vndkshn
Car isn't even released and you already know exactly what it will look like, how it will handle, exactly what transmission options there will be and how much cargo room it has? One hell of a magic 8 ball you have there.
At best it will look like the renders we have here, which are good but not must have. Mid engine cars handle very differently from FE because of physics. Manual transmissions are not worth it to auto makers. Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars. You seem to have a problem with logical thinking.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

At best it will look like the renders we have here, which are good but not must have. Mid engine cars handle very differently from FE because of physics. Manual transmissions are not worth it to auto makers. Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars. You seem to have a problem with logical thinking.
The C7 renders weren't all that great -the real car was much better. Additionally there was a patent floating around a month or so back indicating a manual trans is likely
Old 11-30-2018, 11:41 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tom73

If the FE should be extended for 1 - 2 years it would only be a basic car without any upgrades, just a base 2019 extended for a limited amount of time.
What would be the point of that? The C7 is not selling now as the only Corvette, except the ZR1. Who would buy the basic car now?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:44 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VistaVette
Additionally there was a patent floating around a month or so back indicating a manual trans is likely
Corvette is putting their money into the DCT instead of developing a manual. The new generation of buyers can't drive a manual.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:21 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

IF the car in question was unwrapped (meaning all aero and airflow is production), THEN I would agree with everything you said. But, given the cars were still heavily wrapped, there are several possible reasons to test without the production brakes. Number 1 is simply internet buzz. Another is baselining the suspension (ride as much as anything else). Another is baselining things like the transmission, or steering, or... literally hundreds of things.
The vast majority of those "literally hundreds of things" are tied into the braking system, including the suspension, including ride, including steering. These are CTF cars, not IVERS. They're not testing to see how systems work from a design side anymore that was complete probably close to a year ago. They're making small tweaks to programming the chassis control systems and making sure the car is manufacturable. The production version of everything else on the car was used on those Nurburgring test cars, it is completely unrealistic to think anything but the production version of the brake rotors were used too.
RapidC84B (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:08 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,147 Likes on 5,983 Posts

The vast majority of those "literally hundreds of things" are tied into the braking system, including the suspension, including ride, including steering. These are CTF cars, not IVERS. They're not testing to see how systems work from a design side anymore that was complete probably close to a year ago. They're making small tweaks to programming the chassis control systems and making sure the car is manufacturable. The production version of everything else on the car was used on those Nurburgring test cars, it is completely unrealistic to think anything but the production version of the brake rotors were used too.
I hope you're wrong on one area... that stupid spoiler. I hope it was a place holder for an active rear spoiler that approximated the "up" position. Doubt it though...
Old 11-30-2018, 02:00 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Renders... based off of camoed mules running around and vague descriptions of those who claim to be in the know. Gotcha.

Mid engine cars do handle differently, but that does not equal "tricky handling". But hey, if one ME car is "tricky", they all must be huh? Note that isn't what ANYONE in the industry says, but hey, you know the truth huh?

It's highly unlikely we will see a true manual, but again, we don't KNOW anything, do we? Oh wait, your magic 8 ball....

Cargo space may or may not be a priority. As much bitching about it as we see from a segment here, surely GM also realizes that a total lack of space is a bad idea. But again, we don't KNOW what it will or will not be able to carry, except from you with your magic 8 ball.

And I have the problem with logical thought? Based on what? Things we don't KNOW? Basing what you BELIEVE will be based on nothing but rumor and guessing is not logical. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Old 11-30-2018, 02:03 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

It all depends on what the purpose of the cars on the Ring were. Like our friend PCM, we don't KNOW what they were trying to accomplish there, so basing your beliefs on that and calling it scripture is a bit premature. Without the actual airflow the car will experience without camo, the car could behave much differently, possibly negating any benefit of "brake testing". And in the end, carbon ceramic brakes are not a requirement.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:06 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

And I have the problem with logical thought? Based on what? Things we don't KNOW? Basing what you BELIEVE will be based on nothing but rumor and guessing is not logical. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
I have never actually seen the curvature of the Earth, but I don't believe it is flat. How about you?
Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Cargo space is not a priority for ME cars.
Cargo space is not usually a priority for sports cars in general, yet the Corvette still found room for it. Sports cars generally don't use leaf spring, the Corvette does. The Corvette breaks a lot of trends so trying to apply logic based on other ME cars may not be all that logical.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.