Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong. - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 PM
  #1  
Tyler_RN_EMT
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tyler_RN_EMT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default Key Fob leaks and solid steel rotors are enough proof for me.... prove me wrong.

Ok ..... so the recent leaked key fobs prove to me:

A. The Midengine corvette is coming... soon
B. There will be a Cadillac variant (at some point)

and the small steel steel rotors on the Nurburgring test mules prove:

A: this will REPLACE the current C7
B: it will be priced compareitively to the outgoing C7 in base form.

Seems as simple as that...

Prove me wrong?

-Tyler
Tyler_RN_EMT is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:38 PM
  #2  
Plexoer
CF Senior Member
 
Plexoer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: St.Louis
Posts: 248
Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I tend to agree with you.
Plexoer is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:04 PM
  #3  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Seems accurate.
NY09C6 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:35 PM
  #4  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 547
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT View Post
Ok ..... so the recent leaked key fobs prove to me:

A. The Midengine corvette is coming... soon
B. There will be a Cadillac variant (at some point)

and the small steel steel rotors on the Nurburgring test mules prove:

A: this will REPLACE the current C7
B: it will be priced compareitively to the outgoing C7 in base form.

Seems as simple as that...

Prove me wrong?

-Tyler
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:52 PM
  #5  
FringbirdAloha
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Sunbelt
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
Being able to buy a Midengine super car for 67k ought to be enough to drive sales higher than usual.
FringbirdAloha is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:53 PM
  #6  
NORTY
CF Senior Member
 
NORTY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Carlsbad Ca
Posts: 8,550
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
LOL, this post is loaded with funny!
NORTY is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NORTY For This Useful Post:
jrob56 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:57 PM
  #7  
rmorin1249
CF Senior Member
 
rmorin1249's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 5,626
Thanked 1,161 Times in 826 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18
Default

If the C8 flops the BG Assembly Plant can be retooled to assemble other vehicles. I hope the smart people at GM have accurately estimated the sales of the C8 and new Cadillac such that the BG plant will be a profitable operation.
rmorin1249 is offline  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:59 PM
  #8  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 547
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha View Post


Being able to buy a Midengine super car for 67k ought to be enough to drive sales higher than usual.
Right. Being able to buy the equivalent of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which is the car the ME has been benchmarking for over a year, for $67K would be amazing. The Turbo S starts at $190K, however, so unless Corvette has a magic robot that can build cars for less than half the price of Porsche, your business case makes no sense. GM is not in the nonsense business since Mary Barra took over.
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:00 AM
  #9  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 875
Thanks: 0
Thanked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
LOL, this post is loaded with funny!
I donít even know if itís funny or maybe a crying matter...
PCM is gonna have to eat so much crow...Heís gonna bring that bird species to extinction.
pietro c7 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 AM
  #10  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NORTY
LOL, this post is loaded with funny!
That is being kind.

Last edited by NY09C6; 11-30-2018 at 12:01 AM.
NY09C6 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:01 AM
  #11  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 875
Thanks: 0
Thanked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT View Post
Ok ..... so the recent leaked key fobs prove to me:

A. The Midengine corvette is coming... soon
B. There will be a Cadillac variant (at some point)

and the small steel steel rotors on the Nurburgring test mules prove:

A: this will REPLACE the current C7
B: it will be priced compareitively to the outgoing C7 in base form.

Seems as simple as that...

Prove me wrong?

-Tyler
Yes Tyler ,we could close the thread.
pietro c7 is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 12:02 AM
  #12  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 547
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by pietro c7 View Post


I donít even know if itís funny or maybe a crying matter...
PCM is gonna have to eat so much crow...Heís gonna bring that bird species to extinction.
So Corvette is building a ME that will cost $60K? A glorified Fiero is not going to compete with anything.
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 AM
  #13  
Tyler_RN_EMT
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tyler_RN_EMT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Right. Being able to buy the equivalent of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which is the car the ME has been benchmarking for over a year, for $67K would be amazing. The Turbo S starts at $190K, however, so unless Corvette has a MAGIC robot that can build cars for less than half the price of Porsche, your business case makes no sense. GM is not in the nonsense business since Mary Barra took over.


Not sure how ďMagicĒ it is but they sure do have some robots. Take the ďPorscheĒ badge off and the price would fall tremendously right out of the gate..... plus Iím sure the BASE MEC8 isnít going to directly compete with an upper level Turbo S but it may still give it a run for its money!

-Tyler
Tyler_RN_EMT is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 AM
  #14  
VistaVette
CF Senior Member
 
VistaVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 411
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Right. Being able to buy the equivalent of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, which is the car the ME has been benchmarking for over a year, for $67K would be amazing. The Turbo S starts at $190K, however, so unless Corvette has a magic robot that can build cars for less than half the price of Porsche, your business case makes no sense. GM is not in the nonsense business since Mary Barra took over.
The cost of a Porsche has a lot less to do with the manufacturing costs than the badge. Porsche has one of, if not the highest, profit per car of any manufacturer. A Porsche could cost (retail) significantly less and still be profitable for the company:

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...n-a-sacred-cow
VistaVette is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to VistaVette For This Useful Post:
NewYuriCity (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 AM
  #15  
NewYuriCity
CF Senior Member
 
NewYuriCity's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2017
Posts: 149
Thanked 107 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Brakes can be replaced in a couple hours so they are not conclusive of anything. There a many reasons why the final brake set might not be mounted. One is that they are simply not ready yet. Another is that they were not testing the brakes; only the suspension was being evaluated with the aero. But the reason you are wrong is that the ME will not sell more than 40K units annually and will likely average 25K over the first 5 years. Corvette/GM did not invest hundreds of millions of dollars into BGA to make such a miniscule number of vehicles because the losses would be prohibitive. Corvette must have a profitable business case or call it a day.
Actually, there are precisely ZERO reasons to test a CTF car on a racetrack with anything other than the production brake package. The brakes are such an important part of the handling package such as ABS and stability control that even besides the fact it would make no sense to design and manufacture a brake package outside of the production specification the testing done would be essentially useless without the production brake package.
NewYuriCity is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 AM
  #16  
PCMIII
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: Annandale VA
Posts: 547
Thanked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT View Post




Not sure how ďMagicĒ it is but they sure do have some robots. Take the ďPorscheĒ badge off and the price would fall tremendously right out of the gate..... plus Iím sure the BASE MEC8 isnít going to directly compete with an upper level Turbo S but it may still give it a run for its money!

-Tyler
I am pretty sure they have robots in Germany too and likely they are better than the ones we have. Please explain why the Corvette engineers have been benchmarking the ME against the Turbo S for more than a year if they don't intend the ME to compete with it? They should have been benchmarking against the Cayman GTS if that was the price target.
PCMIII is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:04 AM
  #17  
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member
 
Tool Hoarder's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: Virginia Beach Virginia
Posts: 3,586
Thanked 392 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Agree with you other than the Caddy part. Just because there's a FOB that had a Caddy logo means nothing. The C8 FOB that just leaked clearly had a 3D printed rougher insert where the emblem goes. That part replaced the part with the Caddy emblem. My guess is they're using the "fanciest" FOB they have which was a Caddy unit, they updated the buttons for the ME shape/features needed and only recently added the C8 emblem to keep it under wraps. The front of the FOB has the same buttons/profile as the C8 emblem one.

We've seen no Caddy mules testing. Not saying it might not eventually happen, but I don't think it's currently happening.
Tool Hoarder is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 AM
  #18  
VistaVette
CF Senior Member
 
VistaVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Las Vegas NV
Posts: 411
Thanked 84 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
I am pretty sure they have robots in Germany too and likely they are better than the ones we have. Please explain why the Corvette engineers have been benchmarking the ME against the Turbo S for more than a year if they don't intend the ME to compete with it? They should have been benchmarking against the Cayman GTS if that was the price target.
The current car competes on a performance level with the 911 but compares at a Cayman price point. Price does not always equal performance. Just because the Turbo may be a benchmark does not in anyway indicate that the base modle Vette is the car they intend to mark that performance level.
VistaVette is offline  
Old 11-30-2018, 11:12 AM
  #19  
Tyler_RN_EMT
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tyler_RN_EMT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
I am pretty sure they have robots in Germany too and likely they are better than the ones we have. Please explain why the Corvette engineers have been benchmarking the ME against the Turbo S for more than a year if they don't intend the ME to compete with it? They should have been benchmarking against the Cayman GTS if that was the price target.
Iím guessing for the same reasons they tested the C7 against the Ferrari 458, Audi R8, and Mclaren MP412-C as seen in the below photos prior to the C7 release.... all of these cars had retail prices in Ď13 of 150k-250k +. That doesnít mean the corvette is going to be in that same price range.







-Tyler


Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 11-30-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Tyler_RN_EMT is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler_RN_EMT For This Useful Post:
fasttoys (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:15 AM
  #20  
Tyler_RN_EMT
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Tyler_RN_EMT's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: Pendleton Indiana
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder View Post
Agree with you other than the Caddy part. Just because there's a FOB that had a Caddy logo means nothing. The C8 FOB that just leaked clearly had a 3D printed rougher insert where the emblem goes. That part replaced the part with the Caddy emblem. My guess is they're using the "fanciest" FOB they have which was a Caddy unit, they updated the buttons for the ME shape/features needed and only recently added the C8 emblem to keep it under wraps. The front of the FOB has the same buttons/profile as the C8 emblem one.

We've seen no Caddy mules testing. Not saying it might not eventually happen, but I don't think it's currently happening.

very good point! I also noticed the backing plate on the corvette fob looked 3D printed..... that caddy fob though is definitely past prototype stage.... it is premolded to receive the caddy logo.... and when turned over it clearly shows the mid engine car. They may possibly be using this same fob for future caddy cars though but wouldnít have those front icons.
Tyler_RN_EMT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: