Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if it starts at $80K?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:42 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
Default What if it starts at $80K?

I was just thinking of back to when we saw the new ME 2020 Corvette Zora Stingray testing with other cars. One of them was a Porsche 911 Turbo S, a $190K car. Now comes time to apply my theory: Since my theory relies that the C8 is going to be the actual successor to the C7, and will be FE, that would allow people to get into a new Corvette for similar to what they pay now. The ME Zora is going to be much fancier than the C8, higher performance and more advanced which would mean it commands a higher price. Also, the engine we hear is definitely muffled sounding. Although it's a V8, it may be twin turbo. What if the 2020 Zora Stingray starts at about $80K, twin turbo V8, DCT as standard, and stuff like that. The C8 FE would be about $58K. Think about it: we've seen and heard many of the new ME cars testing. Not once have we heard manual shifts. They've always been quick, crisp DCT shifts. I think it's time to accept the fact that the ME car may be DCT only. The C8 would continue on in traditional Corvette fashion, as the successor to the C7. N/A (base model), manual and automatic available, etc. The Corvette purists will be able to buy the Corvette they're used to. Those who want higher performance, something totally unique, a first for the brand, etc etc would have the ME Zora to buy. Comment down below if you have any questions about my theory.

Popular Reply

11-30-2018, 10:07 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,151 Likes on 5,984 Posts

There is no FE car in development... none.

The C8 ME will be released as a $60-$65K base car and go up from there.

GM benchmarks $190K cars because they can. That's the beauty of being a big company who can amortize costs. They can do things Porsche can for cheaper because they move more units. Corvette has always punched above it's price bracket.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I still believe the engine that is going in the C8 will be the Cadillac V8TT that was designed for the CT6
https://media.cadillac.com/media/us/...-turbo-v8.html
Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

I look forward to your theory comments.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:52 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Not4spd
I still believe the engine that is going in the C8 will be the Cadillac V8TT that was designed for the CT6
This has already been proved wrong by the CAD drawings Zerv leaked a while back. I don't however disagree that a different VERSION of this engine could find it's way in either the C8 or ME Zora. Apparently the engine is now destined for the next Escalade and/or CT5-V once CT6 production stops. By then they will probably have only made a few thousand CT6-Vs with that Blackwing engine. At least it won't be going to waste.
https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news...ts-v-escalade/

Last edited by Zora.Info; 11-29-2018 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (12-02-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:19 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Not4spd
That engine costs more to build than the LT5, which is about $5,000 more than an LT4 and $11,000 more than an LT1, and that doesn't account for all the other additional coolers and such. If the engine were to go into the base ME C8, we would be looking at an over $80k starting price, and I just don't see the ME starting above $69,995 with $1,295 freight included (continuing the trend of jacking up freight costs - FCA is now at $1,495), putting the base car's MSRP to start at $68,700.
I do agree the upper level cars will have the Cadillac V8TT instead of the LT4 and LT5 for CAFE fuel economy reasons.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by ojm
I look forward to your theory comments.
Thank you for being open minded unlike most on this forum who dismiss anything that goes against whatever their theory is. Many people have even decided on what to believe as facts, but there is nothing set in stone becuase nobody knows anything. But we can all come up with theories and try to figure this whole thing out!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:07 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

GM benchmarks $190K cars because they can. That's the beauty of being a big company who can amortize costs. They can do things Porsche can for cheaper because they move more units. Corvette has always punched above it's price bracket.
The following 6 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
firstvettesoon (11-30-2018), Gotta-Qik-C7 (12-11-2018), Kevin Marshall (12-03-2018), Ron_Attleboro_MA (12-01-2018), VETTE-NV (12-01-2018), Zaro Tundov (12-02-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:17 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

I agree with TH and many that the "base" will be "affordable" in the $60k-$65K range...but the options that we all want will push it to the c7GS level pretty fast and beyond. At close to $80 with GS type trim, it will be a winner for sure.
The following 4 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
elegant (11-30-2018), Kevin Marshall (12-03-2018), VETTE-NV (12-01-2018), Weasel (12-03-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Ah, the beauty of this forum. Opinions are passed off as fact. You have no idea if what you just said is true. You have no sources. Right now we are all just sharing our opinion, do not pass yours off as fact.
Rapid Fred (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:29 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I agree! The C8 base car price has to be in the $60-65k base price range in order to make it affordable for the typical Corvette buyer. A loaded optioned base model I am sure could reach 80K MSRP or more as the C7 Stingray does now. I would imagine the average optioned C8 would have a MSRP in the low to mid 70's.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Ah, the beauty of this forum. Opinions are passed off as fact. You have no idea if what you just said is true. You have no sources. Right now we are all just sharing our opinion, do not pass yours off as fact.
True, but I've followed Corvette development closely nearly my entire 40 years on this planet... I enjoy the new releases and the cars. Looking at the C5/C6/C7 releases for comparison we would have seen something by now if there were another FE car in the works. They would have to do powertrain validation if they were going to put in a revised motor and the 10-speed auto or something. They have to do crash/cooling validation for fascia/body panel changes. They have to make sure it all works. We would see C7 mules running around with new powertrains... that hasn't happened. Just the C8 ME.

VETTE-NV (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

We would see C7 mules running around with new powertrains... that hasn't happened. Just the C8 ME.
When you see a C7 running down the road, how do you determine what engine, transmission, or suspension it may or may not be running? Those test “mules” could be running around among us everyday and we would never know it. For an updated C7 the only thing they would need to try to hide would be new/modified body panels.

Last edited by Tom73; 11-30-2018 at 11:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom73:
jimmyb (12-03-2018), vndkshn (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:19 AM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

True, but I've followed Corvette development closely nearly my entire 40 years on this planet... I enjoy the new releases and the cars. Looking at the C5/C6/C7 releases for comparison we would have seen something by now if there were another FE car in the works. They would have to do powertrain validation if they were going to put in a revised motor and the 10-speed auto or something. They have to do crash/cooling validation for fascia/body panel changes. They have to make sure it all works. We would see C7 mules running around with new powertrains... that hasn't happened. Just the C8 ME.
But are you sure about that? Of course you aren't, it's all a guess. We have no way of knowing if GM is running around a standard looking C7 with a different engine or transmission because those would likely fit under the current car with minimal modification (or at at least visible modification).

As for mules for testing, I remember when the C4 went from the tuned port motor to the LT1. No obvious mules with all sorts of modifications were spotted related to the engine swap. When the cars went from the 4+3 trans to a M6, there were no special/distinctive mules running around testing that trans and everything related to it. If I remember correctly, there were some "standard" C5s running around with LS6s before the Z06 mules showed up.

I'm not saying they are, or have, or that there is a new FE coming (although I believe it will come a couple of years after the ME car launches), I'm just saying you can't state something as fact just because you personally haven't witnessed it.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Multiple GM insiders have leaked to multiple forum members, including myself, that there is no C8 FE even on the drawing board. C7 production will cease because demand is very near the saturation point.

And if that's not enough for you, this week's GM announcement on a massive restructuring for cost-saving reasons should be evidence enough that it's not happening. There's absolutely no way that GM leadership would support the development and production of two new Corvette platforms in the current uncertain environment, and this week's announced restructuring has been on the drawing board for quite some time. Mary Barra didn't just wake up last week and decide she needed to do something.

There will be one ME Corvette offered across a broad spectrum of price and performance.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
edved (11-30-2018), Kevin Marshall (12-03-2018), RapidC84B (11-30-2018), VETTE-NV (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 11:47 AM
FRANKENSTEIN4x42000
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NO ONE knows for sure but like many older Corvette guys I too have been following the car thru the years and have owned a few. The FE is dead we all know this and yes I can't prove it but you can all see it next year, I suspect GM will keep building the C7 alongside the C8 for a few months to help transition just like they are doing right now with the Sierra and Silverado.
Now the ME car will be about $10,000 more than the same model in the C7, the base car is using the LT1 with 500hp pretty simple carry over parts etc even less parts since the pain in the *** high speed torgue tube is gone, less weight etc. The more expensive cars will be with the TT V8 being build in Bowling Green KY, this is all so easy to figure out it's not even funny.
Also keep in mind right now the plant is running at 25% the sale of the stingray are in the dumps GM needs to ramp up production and get back to "normal" production numbers that's the main reason the ME will be priced so close to the old car. Also keep in mind the C7 was design when GM was bankrupt it's and evolution of the C6 at best, a nice for sure but an evolution none the less.
I realize I will get the reply telling me I am wrong etc but I don't care by next spring you can apologize.
I have dreamed of a mid engine corvette all my life and I will be getting one, great time to be a Vette guy.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:47 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The BG plant is operating at 27% capacity now. In other words, that is 1/4 of C7's that could be built. There are 2018 & 2019 new C7's available everywhere. Dealers, generally speaking, are ordering very few new C7's for customers and for inventory. The C7 has seen its day. With the 2020 ME C8 going into production next summer, why in the world would GM continue to offer a 2020 C7 that is practically the same car as the current C7? When the 2020 ME C8 is introduced in April at the NYC show, and prices are announced, anyone wanting a new 2019 C7 can buy one off of a dealers lot. All of this being said, my feeling is that the 2019 C7 will be the last of the front engine Corvettes.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
The BG plant is operating at 27% capacity now. In other words, that is 1/4 of C7's that could be built. There are 2018 & 2019 new C7's available everywhere. Dealers, generally speaking, are ordering very few new C7's for customers and for inventory. The C7 has seen its day. With the 2020 ME C8 going into production next summer, why in the world would GM continue to offer a 2020 C7 that is practically the same car as the current C7? When the 2020 ME C8 is introduced in April at the NYC show, and prices are announced, anyone wanting a new 2019 C7 can buy one off of a dealers lot. All of this being said, my feeling is that the 2019 C7 will be the last of the front engine Corvettes.
While it certainly is partially becuase the next new vehicle to be released in the Corvette lineup is the ME, part of the reason for the slump in C7 sales is becuase regardless of it being ME, everybody knows there is a new Corvette right around the corner. Why spend your money on an existing car when the new one will be out in a few months? There is always a slump in sales before a new model is released, and not just on the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To What if it starts at $80K?

Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tom73
When you see a C7 running down the road, how do you determine what engine, transmission, or suspension it may or may not be running? Those test “mules” could be running around among us everyday and we would never know it. For an updated C7 the only thing they would need to try to hide would be new/modified body panels.
Usually they have to have some kind of testing equipment on them. Often you see mules with these red plugs on the back (never got a clear answer if it was for fuel testing, or something to do with emissions), but you often see that, or other small differences. You'd see spy shots of a C7 doing validation testing... none of that.

With the C7 the first inkling was C6 GSs with sunken in wheels, wheelbases too long for the body work, and odd evenly spaced 4 tip exhaust (vs. C5 and C6 having 2 pairs with some space in between).

Originally Posted by vndkshn
But are you sure about that? Of course you aren't, it's all a guess. We have no way of knowing if GM is running around a standard looking C7 with a different engine or transmission because those would likely fit under the current car with minimal modification (or at at least visible modification).

As for mules for testing, I remember when the C4 went from the tuned port motor to the LT1. No obvious mules with all sorts of modifications were spotted related to the engine swap. When the cars went from the 4+3 trans to a M6, there were no special/distinctive mules running around testing that trans and everything related to it. If I remember correctly, there were some "standard" C5s running around with LS6s before the Z06 mules showed up.

I'm not saying they are, or have, or that there is a new FE coming (although I believe it will come a couple of years after the ME car launches), I'm just saying you can't state something as fact just because you personally haven't witnessed it.
Valid points... but it's 2018 not 1988 or 1990... lots more emissions and validation testing these days (anecdotal observation). Yes... theoretically they could stuff a hot-V tt motor and a 10-speed in a C7 and have it look no different, but I guaranty you'd see testing for hood/paint durability with the hot-V. There would be something.... there has been literally nothing. I would argue they'd keep the ME C8 more under wraps than a FE refresh and we've seen plenty on the C8.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Multiple GM insiders have leaked to multiple forum members, including myself, that there is no C8 FE even on the drawing board. C7 production will cease because demand is very near the saturation point.

And if that's not enough for you, this week's GM announcement on a massive restructuring for cost-saving reasons should be evidence enough that it's not happening. There's absolutely no way that GM leadership would support the development and production of two new Corvette platforms in the current uncertain environment, and this week's announced restructuring has been on the drawing board for quite some time. Mary Barra didn't just wake up last week and decide she needed to do something.

There will be one ME Corvette offered across a broad spectrum of price and performance.
Excellent point given GM's recent surge to streamline products across 4 VSS platforms.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:28 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Valid points, HOWEVER. There is a Cadillac ME car. We don't see it yet! GM is focusing on the Corvette ME car. The C8 FE would still be a couple years away. Remember the C7 is only 5 years old. Next we will see the Cadillac ME car testing, then the C8 FE car will begin testing after that. Probably late next year is when the C8 will start testing. Just my theory though.

Last edited by Zora.Info; 11-30-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:02 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Valid points, HOWEVER. There is a Cadillac ME car. We don't see it yet! GM is focusing on the Corvette ME car. The C8 FE would still be a couple years away. Remember the C7 is only 5 years old. Next we will see the Cadillac ME car testing, then the C8 FE car will begin testing after that. Probably late next year is when the C8 will start testing. Just my theory though.

There will not be an FE C8 !!!!

Quick Reply: What if it starts at $80K?