Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there even a Key Fob anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 12:39 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
A battery powered Tesla not having any power......now that's pretty ironic.

You need a physical key to at least get to the power system, plain and simple........for now anyways.
they need to add a hand crank dynamo to charge the battery Gilligan style!
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:55 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Sounds like nonsense to me. The last thing a Corvette owner would leave the brand over is some whiz bang BS around opening the door locks. Corvette owners, by and large, are DRIVING enthusiasts; keep the car light and high performance and we'll likely be happy with however GM thinks is best to open/unlock doors.
I'm sorry. I must be mistaken. I thought the Corvette Marketing group wanted to get some new, younger buyers. What's the average age of a Corvette buyer? 62?

The Corvette has always been a test bed for new technology. The Corvette was one of the first with passive entry way back in 1993.

The other reason for updating the entry/drive system is security. The fobs are too easily spoofed by thieves. Updating the entry/drive system will not raise the price by any appreciable amount. The costs can be amortized over the rest of the GM fleet as it is rolled out to other models.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
The other reason for updating the entry/drive system is security. The fobs are too easily spoofed by thieves. Updating the entry/drive system will not raise the price by any appreciable amount. The costs can be amortized over the rest of the GM fleet as it is rolled out to other models.
This.

This is why GM should make some changes. I believe all of the new Tesla Fobs use BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) to confirm entry. This allows for two things. Potential for more functionality and enhanced security. It would be hard to clone one of these Fobs. Some of this crowd might not be aware, but it is easy to get a single repeater to repeat your car's Fob from inside the house or business. This allows theives (of both vehicles and items) to access and start your car without actually having your key.

Zaro Tundov (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Can you imagine the hue and cry and angst if GM proclaimed that in order to drive your new car a smart phone was required? It would make the elimination of round tail lights seem like a walk in the park.

Last edited by mschuyler; 12-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.
ByByBMW (12-03-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I'd love to have a mobile phone that could lock/ unlock my car, lock/ unlock my home, pay for all my items and contain all my relevant info. And do it without requiring me to open an App or some other such nonsense.

Seems incredibly easy to accomplish and rather freeing. Really I'd just one Biometrics for the payment part. Think of how much less crap you could carry around with you.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:55 PM
JayLord
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't know but it looks cheap... GM...
Old 12-04-2018, 05:03 PM
revilingfool
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like keys. Having a phone be your key is stupid.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Lots of people not reading the entire thread or even anything beyond the first post, and posting negative comments. The other car companies have a key card that's small enough to fit in your wallet that can be used in lieu of a phone. Something will have to change at some point. The fobs are not secure.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:44 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

The other car companies have a key card that's small enough to fit in your wallet that can be used in lieu of a phone. Something will have to change at some point. The fobs are not secure.
Love my C7, but never forget that this same company knowingly endangered drivers - for years - for less than a dollar per car, rather than design a functional ignition switch!

GM is a big, big business and making money will always be the bottom line, not keeping current with the latest tech - lots of their previous products prove that.

I agree that this needs to change and the sooner the better - I just don't recommend holding your breath for GM to do the right thing until they are forced to.

Just sayin
Michael A (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Lots of people not reading the entire thread or even anything beyond the first post, and posting negative comments. The other car companies have a key card that's small enough to fit in your wallet that can be used in lieu of a phone. Something will have to change at some point. The fobs are not secure.
Had one of those in my Mercedes. Worked well enough, I guess, even though the car was a POS. What's the real difference between a wallet card and a Fob? isn't it the same thing in a different format? It doesn't have buttons to push but it unlocks the car via proximity and lets you start it up. Obviously it transmits just like a Fob, so why could it not be intercepted just like a Fob?

Old 12-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Had one of those in my Mercedes. Worked well enough, I guess, even though the car was a POS. What's the real difference between a wallet card and a Fob? isn't it the same thing in a different format? It doesn't have buttons to push but it unlocks the car via proximity and lets you start it up. Obviously it transmits just like a Fob, so why could it not be intercepted just like a Fob?
The car requires you to physically touch the card to the B pillar to unlock the car. It won’t do anything in your pocket or wallet. That is “safer” because the signal is not transmitted over a distance so it is hard to copy. I would imagine the card is using a RFID.

The phone is using low energy Bluetooth. Since the last update it has been working great on my Model 3.

Michael A (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

That is a stupid idea !!! Wait until the hackers get electronic equipment to steal your car !!!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

i miss the UE0 RPO code...
my view is the simpler you keep the systems, the better they work & more satisfied folks are overall. all this 'connected' bullcrap is just another bunch of expensive stuff to have to fix, have glitching out, get hacked, go unsupported after a few years (just try to buy C5 parts nowadays...), etc.
heck, i even still use the door key more often than my fob unlocker button.

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Not everybody has a smartphone. E.G. My wife. And a few, very few, other folks I know, including a member of my Corvette club.
same here, and i won't for so long as i can help it.

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Can you imagine what it's going to be like in 15, 20, 25 years when there's no more manufacturer support for all this current wizardry. These vehicles are going to be completely worthless.
people don't think long-term any more... it's all about what's here & now. only losers keep old stuff around forever anyway.

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
What if you don't carry your smartphone all the time?
Then you won't drive if you don't. That's why we should not be forced into this situation.
shoot - i leave my phone at the house all the time
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

If the concern is security, switching to always-on, trackable, network-connected, timesharing programmable computers (phones) running numerous 3rd-party apps, on multiple generations of hardware from multiple vendors is not the way to go about it. It is much simpler to develop a secure fob.
ByByBMW (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:12 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wgood
That is a stupid idea !!! Wait until the hackers get electronic equipment to steal your car !!!
News flash! They already have it.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:15 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by torquetube
If the concern is security, switching to always-on, trackable, network-connected, timesharing programmable computers (phones) running numerous 3rd-party apps, on multiple generations of hardware from multiple vendors is not the way to go about it. It is much simpler to develop a secure fob.
I guess Apple Pay is in big trouble then. It's a lot easier to plug a security hole on an upgradeable phone, than on a non-upgradeable fob.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

You want electronic security? Go back to a real key, but we all know how easy that is to defeat.
I for one, and maybe I am the only one, will not buy any car that NEEDS a cell phone app to control the entry, start, go features. For one thing, they are way to easy to lose, break, get lost. Yep, I'm getting old. And maybe that could change depending on...............................who knows? But today at least, an app for a cell phone is out of the question for me and ESPECIALLY the wife. You know the saying, happy wife, happy life.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-08-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is there even a Key Fob anyway?

Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

The key fob thing for me is totally unreasonable as I just like having a physical piece of my car that I can hold the "unlocks" the fun. Honestly having everything bound to a phone or app that could also be used with a smart watch is brilliant and likely capable of being more secure.

I personally want to have a more involved start up sequence like in race cars where you turn on power, fuel pumps, fans and finally crank the engine over with a push to start button. Talk about theft deterrence, since wannabe thieves can't drive stick, imagine them trying to figure out how to start a car where you manually switch on all your auxiliary systems! Of course I just like this idea on a toy car where starting the car should be theatric. My C7 startup always gave me grin with the quick rev off turnover and then settling into idle, it felt like the car was restraining itself waiting for you to give it the go ahead with the loud pedal.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:06 AM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

Looking at the future of a key FOBS !

Old 12-08-2018, 05:28 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by norge1956
Looking at the future of a key FOBS !
more touchscreen electronic bullcrap?! that's disgusting

Quick Reply: Why is there even a Key Fob anyway?