Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there even a Key Fob anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:48 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

What if you don't carry your smartphone all the time?
Old 12-01-2018, 01:54 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
What if you don't carry your smartphone all the time?
Then you won't drive if you don't. That's why we should not be forced into this situation.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:31 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
The Tesla Model 3 opens the doors and starts the car with the presence of your smartphone. Recently, Lincoln announced that the upcoming Aviator will do the same thing. I see no reason for the key fob anymore. Everyone has a smartphone. Why are we seeing pictures of this outdated key fob for the C8? That's supposed to impress us? What's next, a leaked picture of a C8 Compact Disk player?
If Chevy wants to do a phone app in addition to a fob, that's okay I suppose. For all you know, they will. But they need to provide fobs as well.

Seemingly benign proposals to make one technology dependent on another have unfortunate consequences:

If you use an app to start the car, every single smartphone bug and foible becomes a problem with your car. Dead phone battery? (they last about 1/1000 as long as fob batteries) Bad firmware update? Unpatched security hole? Car won't start. Apple or Google make an API change and GM doesn't keep up? Now it's your car's problem. Replace your phone with the latest thing (like an iWatch 4) but the car app doesn't support it? Oh well.

Chevy isn't going to maintain development of apps forever, so after a decade you'd see owners forced to carry around old phones just to get into their car. People will buy obsolete phones on eBay just to use as spare keys. Eventually the network protocols will change and you won't even be able to load the old apps at all. Talk about "outdated."

The last thing I want standing between me and successfully starting my car is a flaky Bluetooth-based consumer electronics gadget. The standard of quality is so much lower. On a phone, failed connections and even lockups are par for the course. On a car, those sort of malfunctions are a big deal that can force a recall.

Proximity sensing is a crapshoot with phones as the primary key. Phones are fragile. Fobs are tough. One could go on.
The following 3 users liked this post by torquetube:
ByByBMW (12-01-2018), MikeG37 (12-01-2018), Zaro Tundov (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 03:43 PM
z8ra
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 120 Posts

without the fob gm would lose out on a lot of profit.. i doubt the fob and programming cost anywhere near what they charge..: "According to Consumer Reports, If you lose the key and fob, “you can expect a dealer replacement and programming to cost $200 or more, depending on the vehicle and the key's design."
I dont think they should get rid of the fob, but if it could primarily use my phone I would like that, and then have a slim fob that fits in a wallet as a backup, and also have a traditional fob for people that carry key chains and they can continue to charge them the ridiculous amount.

Last edited by z8ra; 12-01-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:10 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

The Tesla Model 3 opens the doors and starts the car with the presence of your smartphone. Recently, Lincoln announced that the upcoming Aviator will do the same thing. I see no reason for the key fob anymore. Everyone has a smartphone. Why are we seeing pictures of this outdated key fob for the C8? That's supposed to impress us? What's next, a leaked picture of a C8 Compact Disk player?
And if you lose your phone? Can't drive. Or need to leave your car at the dealer or let someone borrow it for a day or two? Leave your phone with them?
Old 12-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

After replying once, and reading the rest of the posts in this thread I have come to a conclusion. The OP expects the 2020 Corvette ME to be state of the art, on top of all the new tech, etc. And one of those ways is by advancing past the traditional key fob. As many have pointed out, there are many issues with this idea. I think eventually down the line, there could/ should still be a key fob of course but also the option to use your phone. We already have the Chevy app that let's you start your car, unlock your doors. But not as an NFC device. Also the new Cadilalc XT4 uses this new NFC feature, which puts it not beyond the realm of possibility for expansion across other GM models.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:49 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
I heard, from a VERY reliable source, they're gonna implant a chip in the owner's *** at the dealership upon delivery.
Makes sense - that would line up with most of the dealer experiences I have had over the years anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Tesla's smartphone app is so buggy, they had to design, certify and start selling fobs to pissed off Model 3 owners.

https://www.inverse.com/article/4921...tphone-anxiety

This is the same reason I don't have smartphone controlled door locks for my house. I love technology, but sometimes there's nothing wrong with the old way of doing things.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
ByByBMW (12-01-2018), JimNeedsC7 (12-01-2018), Zaro Tundov (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 10:54 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I feel like I am reading a transcript to a GM product planning meeting. My gosh! I can't believe all the naysayers on here when it comes to anything new. Rather than making suggestions to improve things, it is "It can't done", "It will never work", "What if the battery goes dead?", "What if...".

I can only imagine the response on here when the passive entry system was proposed.

By the way, Porsche has already figured out how to open the frunk with your hand being in proximity.

I'm really going to throw a wrench into the works. I think they should be looking at biometrics, too. The iPhone XS uses facial recognition to unlock the phone.

If GM doesn't improve their quality, and start innovating, there won't be a GM, and there won't be a Corvette. GM is failing. It is estimated by 2025, Ford will surpass them in sales. GM has a finite number of car lines to cancel, and plants to close. I doubt the Corvette will be the last car line to be cancelled.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:31 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

^^^^ let me guess you want all the best things for the Corvette but you only want to pay $60K for it?? Going by all your posts, you seem to be praying the C8 does not go up in price! I too want the best GM has to offer for the Corvette and tired of some corners being cut just to keep the price around a base of $60K. I am hoping GM pays attention to all the finer details and they can charge me whatever they reasonably want. I am ok with paying more for a better Corvette! If it happens to price out some of the bottom 10-20% so be it! Maybe they can still offer an updated FE as well (which is currently an amazing car) and appease the people that want to pay $60K+.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:37 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
^^^^ let me guess you want all the best things for the Corvette but you only want to pay $60K for it?? Going by all your posts, you seem to be praying the C8 does not go up in price! I too want the best GM has to offer for the Corvette and tired of some corners being cut just to keep the price around a base of $60K. I am hoping GM pays attention to all the finer details and they can charge me whatever they reasonably want. I am ok with paying more for a better Corvette! If it happens to price out some of the bottom 10-20% so be it! Maybe they can still offer an updated FE as well (which is currently an amazing car) and appease the people that want to pay $60K+.
This is what I keep saying! So many here want all this stuff but only want to pay $60K and that simply won't happen. That's why I keep suggesting that the ME car we see driving around is a whole new model to the Corvette portfolio. It will start a bit higher than the regular FE Corvette, but have much higher performance, quality and tech. The FE car would be the actual C8 and come out in a couple years, and would start around where the C7 starts, and be the true successor to the C7 just like the C7 was to the C6 and so on. This would allow people to continue buying their $60K Vettes, the purists to keep buying new FE Corvettes. And those who want higher performance, quality and tech will have the Corvette Zora. 2 Corvettes, plus the Cadillac ME would also explain the massive Corvette plant expansion.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:57 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Mainly because it isn't outdated. There are many reasons why people would want a key fob including dropping the car off for service, letting a friend drive it, unlocking the car when the battery is dead, etc, etc, etc.

Bill
Old 12-02-2018, 03:14 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

A battery powered Tesla not having any power......now that's pretty ironic.

You need a physical key to at least get to the power system, plain and simple........for now anyways.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 AM
Corvette_Nut
Melting Slicks

Location: Hailing From The Mean Streets Of Irvine, California
Received 4,153 Likes on 1,314 Posts

What If You Still Carry This In Your Back Pocket....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut

Michael A (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM
dkssud3
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you lose your phone, you lose your car! XD
Old 12-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm all for my phone being able to do everything a key fob can, bring it! Just give me a key fob too. :-)

PC
ByByBMW (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:27 AM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthy08
I have a new Ram and I can start, stop, unlock/lock, & set off the alarm with my phone app. Im sure a new vette will do that, if not then lol
GM has had that for a long time,I can start my GM trucks with the app,lock and unlock,set off alarm ect.

Get notified of new replies

To Why is there even a Key Fob anyway?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:05 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

As someone that just got a Model 3, I like the card. However, the bluetooth unlock on the car is spotty from what I read (mine doesn't work yet). I find it frustrating to open the trunk or unlock all the doors on the vehicle without a simple push of a button. For this reason I am going to be buying the Model 3 FOB (they are optional).

Last edited by Chrisrokc; 12-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:16 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

I feel like I am reading a transcript to a GM product planning meeting. My gosh! I can't believe all the naysayers on here when it comes to anything new. Rather than making suggestions to improve things, it is "It can't done", "It will never work", "What if the battery goes dead?", "What if...".

I can only imagine the response on here when the passive entry system was proposed.

By the way, Porsche has already figured out how to open the frunk with your hand being in proximity.

I'm really going to throw a wrench into the works. I think they should be looking at biometrics, too. The iPhone XS uses facial recognition to unlock the phone.

If GM doesn't improve their quality, and start innovating, there won't be a GM, and there won't be a Corvette. GM is failing. It is estimated by 2025, Ford will surpass them in sales. GM has a finite number of car lines to cancel, and plants to close. I doubt the Corvette will be the last car line to be cancelled.
Sounds like nonsense to me. The last thing a Corvette owner would leave the brand over is some whiz bang BS around opening the door locks. Corvette owners, by and large, are DRIVING enthusiasts; keep the car light and high performance and we'll likely be happy with however GM thinks is best to open/unlock doors.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:37 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by carsnpars
Battery died, can I use my smartphone to get in the dead car?

yes. Two ways according to the owners manual.

1. Use cell phone to online order a crowbar to pry open door.

2. If faster service is needed, - Grasp the cell phone firmly and swiftly strike the side glass repeatedly until the window breaks. If cell phone breaks first stop and call for hel... oh wait....
Michael A (12-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Why is there even a Key Fob anyway?