Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 11:52 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

McLaren is going the exact opposite. They cover up everything and don't want customers touching them. The 570s has the engine under a storage compartment. There's no way to see the engine at all.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:55 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
McLaren is going the exact opposite. They cover up everything and don't want customers touching them. The 570s has the engine under a storage compartment. There's no way to see the engine at all.
Actually that is incorrect. The engine covers are removable. The old 12C has a regular engine lid that you could open right up, the new ones you have to unbolt. Still easy though.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:36 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

One of the things you must also take into account is this is GM and I highly doubt they will spend a lot to up the way the engine looks back there.

If you think they will give us Ferrari looking manifold covers you are dead wrong. I'm expecting just plastic covers that say Corvette on them and that's about it. The engine may be back there for the C8, but the craftsmanship and details will NOT be on par with other Mid engined cars.

Feel free to disagree, but they are not gonna spend time making the engine a "work of art" so to speak, just because of where it's at.
The following users liked this post:
Puttnutt24 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:25 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp
One of the things you must also take into account is this is GM and I highly doubt they will spend a lot to up the way the engine looks back there.

If you think they will give us Ferrari looking manifold covers you are dead wrong. I'm expecting just plastic covers that say Corvette on them and that's about it. The engine may be back there for the C8, but the craftsmanship and details will NOT be on par with other Mid engined cars.

Feel free to disagree, but they are not gonna spend time making the engine a "work of art" so to speak, just because of where it's at.
I think this is exactly right and for this reason I'm skeptical there will be a glass viewing window for the base engine. Who wants to show off a mess of plastic covers and hoses?

The hand built engine options, maybe they'll nicely styled for presentation behind a window. Cadillac's Blackwing is worthy of display despite going under a metal hood, so for the "Z" C8s maybe we'll have similar beauty. Based on the CAD drawing...maybe?

Puttnutt24 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Actually that is incorrect. The engine covers are removable. The old 12C has a regular engine lid that you could open right up, the new ones you have to unbolt. Still easy though.
Correct but they don't want you to see the engine. You have to remove these covers to get to it. It's not like popping the hood if someone asks you if they can see the engine. You have to do some real work to get to it.

McLaren views the engine as "a lump". It's just something that powers the car. What it looks like is not important.

Last edited by Sin City; 12-02-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Perhaps the last great under the hood view in our lifetimes-- Ferrari 458 speciale

Last edited by Sin City; 12-02-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:43 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Perhaps the last great under the hood view in our lifetimes-- Ferrari 458 speciale
It does look nice, but I prefer the Bugatti Chiron. Two air intake manifolds sticking up, one on either side of the carbin fiber spine running down the center of the car. Made of high end aluminum, one has the Bugatti logo, the other "1500", for the 1500 HP the car has. Yes it costs $3M and is one of the nicest cars in the world, but since you named a $700K and said a general "in our lifetimes" I figured why not.

Last edited by Zora.Info; 12-02-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:55 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,682 Likes on 1,862 Posts

GM will probably leave it to aftermarket suppliers to offer fancy-shmancy dress-up parts for the engine bay, just as they have been for years.
Puttnutt24 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:23 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I hope we can see the engine through the hatch glass, and if so, what we see is good looking. And if so, I would pay extra for a really nice engine cover if GM were to offer it.
OnPoint (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 03:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I hope we can see the engine through the hatch glass, and if so, what we see is good looking. And if so, I would pay extra for a really nice engine cover if GM were to offer it.
Amen. And it doesn't cost much do. Anybody who's ever laid eyes on a Katech dressed engine for example (just one example of many) knows it can be readily done, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do.

Please, GM dress the engine well and show it off.
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
elegant (12-02-2018), Michael A (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

I completely agree with this. The textured powder coated manifolds on Ferrari's is something to behold in person.

I just don't see GM creating anything like that in a mass produced car. Plastic covers that we can customize aftermarket are almost certain without a doubt all we are gonna get from GM.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

McLaren views the engine as "a lump". It's just something that powers the car. What it looks like is not important.
Well McLarens definitely don't sound good
Old 12-02-2018, 06:13 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Sometimes would not even want to see engine, like check oil is about it. I hate wrenching on cars, but honestly nothing is cooler then a great car motor.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by ssidekickbp

I hope you are wrong, but you probably aren't. GM hasn't had a good looking engine since the C4 ZR1. Before that, you would probably have to go all the way back to the very early 70's. It's a shame GM just can dress an engine. This would be their golden opportunity.

Well, at some point, there may not be much to look at in there anway. Maybe a power controller and couple of electric motors.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:05 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael A
I hope you are wrong, but you probably aren't. GM hasn't had a good looking engine since the C4 ZR1. Before that, you would probably have to go all the way back to the very early 70's. It's a shame GM just can dress an engine. This would be their golden opportunity.

Well, at some point, there may not be much to look at in there anway. Maybe a power controller and couple of electric motors.
What?! The LT4, LT5, L5P Duramax are all great looking engines.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Z51VetteFan
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 157 Posts

I guess the definition of a supercar, varies, for me. I don't think the Corvette is a supercar, even the ZR1. It's a good ole American sports car. I don't believe the C8 will be a supercar, either. The new Ford GT, is more of a supercar than the C8 will ever be. Exclusivity, and performance, aren't all that make up the definition of a supercar, for me. I guess it just depends on the car. Although a Ferrari F355 is one of the best sounding cars, on the planet, prove me wrong, is mid engine, is a Ferrari, and should maybe fit into that category, I don't think it is. I think in 1999 it was a supercar. But, by todays meaning, I don't think it is. Just like I don't think the Ferrari California, is, either. I also don't think the Lexus LFA or the Nissan GTR, are supercars. They all have supercar performance, I just dont think they are supercars.

GMs cad drawings, of what's "apparently" the C8, looks like a nightmare to me. Those little boxes, at the top, based on how the engine is configured, would have to be intercoolers. They would apparently have to be air to water, intercoolers, because there are no fins on them and they aren't even in the airflow, unless GM plans on making some sort of scoop. The turbo arrangement, is a mess, the intake pipes are waaaay too long, and flat. BMW, and Mercedes, have been using hot "inside V" engine configurations. This just makes more sense from a mid engine, standpoint. The turbos are right on top, in the center of the V. and the intakes are on either side, where the headers would normally go. The intakes, on either side, could be ducted straight to the side vents, behind the doors, for fresh intake air. GM, is designing brand new engines, and can't even go this route.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

That's true. The LT4 and LT5 look good. I don't know about the Duramax. You may have post a picture.

Get notified of new replies

To Let's see under the hood?

Old 12-02-2018, 11:45 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
I guess the definition of a supercar, varies, for me. I don't think the Corvette is a supercar, even the ZR1. It's a good ole American sports car. I don't believe the C8 will be a supercar, either. The new Ford GT, is more of a supercar than the C8 will ever be. Exclusivity, and performance, aren't all that make up the definition of a supercar, for me. I guess it just depends on the car. Although a Ferrari F355 is one of the best sounding cars, on the planet, prove me wrong, is mid engine, is a Ferrari, and should maybe fit into that category, I don't think it is. I think in 1999 it was a supercar. But, by todays meaning, I don't think it is. Just like I don't think the Ferrari California, is, either. I also don't think the Lexus LFA or the Nissan GTR, are supercars. They all have supercar performance, I just dont think they are supercars.

GMs cad drawings, of what's "apparently" the C8, looks like a nightmare to me. Those little boxes, at the top, based on how the engine is configured, would have to be intercoolers. They would apparently have to be air to water, intercoolers, because there are no fins on them and they aren't even in the airflow, unless GM plans on making some sort of scoop. The turbo arrangement, is a mess, the intake pipes are waaaay too long, and flat. BMW, and Mercedes, have been using hot "inside V" engine configurations. This just makes more sense from a mid engine, standpoint. The turbos are right on top, in the center of the V. and the intakes are on either side, where the headers would normally go. The intakes, on either side, could be ducted straight to the side vents, behind the doors, for fresh intake air. GM, is designing brand new engines, and can't even go this route.

The pressurized intake pipes in this photo look way too long. Ferrari doesn't use a hot V setup for their 488. Their engine certainly performs great.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 AM
C7BB
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I’ll add my .2 cents... I’ve had a couple of “cool” cars in the last 5 or so years, but that doesn’t make them neither exclusive, or exotic as each has their own identities that define what they represent. 1st on the list was my 07 Z06 with a bad *** LS7. In 07 that was a fairly rare car with what I considered a beautiful under hood view. Quintessential Chevrolet biiiiig small block hp! Sounded amazing and looked killer! NOT EXOTIC THOUGH....

Next came my C7... built that car up to be EVERYTHING my childhood dreams wanted in a car. Cammed, S/C’d, headers, sounded AMAZING, looked so badass under the hood, NOT EXOTIC THOUGH...

Next came my Porsche Turbo S. A stupid fast car I built for drag racing and roll racing, that had some cool features that made it crazy rare. 1 of 86 built for it’s year model based on options... yes, exclusive, NOT EXOTIC! Zero pazaz under the “bonnet”. Rear engine car with no emphasis put into making the engine compartment attractive. It’s all business.

Next McLaren 650S... over $50k in REAL carbon fiber add on’s accentuating the lil engine that could (3.8L TT V-8) that had a rear hatch similar to the Ferrari to really show off that gorgeous engine compartment. That was was both exclusive and exotic. See where I’m going here?

Next car... my lil Mclaren 570S ( current car)... special color, special options, same lil 3.8L T/T’d V-8 that makes decent power as well as has exotic looks. Zero hood/bonnet reveal to the motor, except you can actually see the engine through the honeycomb vents in the rearward section of the car. Exotic, BUT NOT EXCLUSIVE! They keep building these cars. My Porsche and McLaren 650S were waaaaaay more rare as per their build sheets and options, but only one was both exclusive and exotic as well as showcasing its engine!

Btw... to the guy who doesn’t think Macs sound good has obviously never heard one at full song. 8,500rpm sounds unreal in the drivers seat, and to my friends trying to catch me. 😬

Moral to my long post... if Chevrolet wants to appeal to a broader audience including those across the pond, they need to stick to their roots. Big American
V-8’s, sleek looks, (not exotic) lots of power, creature comforts, and lastly, a car that isn’t stupid expensive, they’ll knock it out of the park like they did with the C7. Don’t try to be something you’re not. Never ever ever gonna compete with exclusivity like the exotics. Don’t even try. Something to be said for being different (not exotic).
Puttnutt24 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 12:33 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

THIS was a good looking engine in a Vette.
Not those Tupperware motors.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 12-03-2018 at 12:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dominic Sorresso:
Puttnutt24 (12-03-2018), Z51VetteFan (12-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Let's see under the hood?