Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see under the hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 02:13 PM
Puttnutt24
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Let's see under the hood?

One big plus about a front engine car is yes, you can see whats under the hood.
Besides glass panels and a dozen and a half screws to remove the rear "lid", how accessible do you think the engine bay (if you can even call it that) will be in the new C8 Corvette.
Will we miss "poppin the hood" and checking out the engine bay as we know it today?

Last edited by Puttnutt24; 12-01-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:32 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

In sure there will be some that will miss the FE experience (in this and other aspects).

There will be others that will be excited about the "new world experiences " that a/their ME Corvette provides.

Count me in the latter... that all the new experiences will be very exciting and enticing.

I'm really hoping there's a version of the ME Corvette that puts the power plant on full time display... like many of the Ferraris do.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankLP:
purple heart (12-02-2018), Puttnutt24 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 02:51 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

I'm not sure what you are talking about, many mid-engine cars have their engines quite visible in the back.
The following users liked this post:
Puttnutt24 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

You wanted to see the hood? Here you go. Similar to a Koenigsegg or the reverse version of the last gen Ford GT's rear hood. It should make servicing easy, and you should be able to see the engine through the glass window. It should also be pretty easy to open, otherwise they would not have gone through the trouble to open it just to check something like you see in this photo. In fact, I bet it may open just like the current C7 and previous generations' rear hatches. Except unlike those cars with a big cargo space, you'll be staring at would would otherwise be in the front of the car in previous generations :-).

Last edited by Zora.Info; 12-01-2018 at 02:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Puttnutt24 (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Its gonna pop open just like a C6 C7... Its funny when folks compare things on the c8 to super cars. The vette is NOT a super car.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Its gonna pop open just like a C6 C7... Its funny when folks compare things on the c8 to super cars. The vette is NOT a super car.
Why? What defines a supercar? With the new 2020 Corvette Zora, the Corvette will finally have one thing down: being rear mid engine. Other than that, all it needs is performance. And if 7 generations are any indication, it will perform. My 2 requirements for a supercar are being ME and being fast. Idk about everybody else though.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Why? What defines a supercar? With the new 2020 Corvette Zora, the Corvette will finally have one thing down: being rear mid engine. Other than that, all it needs is performance. And if 7 generations are any indication, it will perform. My 2 requirements for a supercar are being ME and being fast. Idk about everybody else though.
Having a mid-engine has nothing to do with supercars since there are supercars with front engines. Performance, exclusivity, and exotic qualities are what make a supercar (everything about a supercar is super). We will have to see if the C8 compares with the other supercars but if it has a starting price of 65k dollars it will likely not be a supercar. It will be a great performing sports car just like it is now.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Having a mid-engine has nothing to do with supercars since there are supercars with front engines. Performance, exclusivity, and exotic qualities are what make a supercar (everything about a supercar is super). We will have to see if the C8 compares with the other supercars but if it has a starting price of 65k dollars it will likely not be a supercar. It will be a great performing sports car just like it is now.
Exclusivity and exotic are the same thing. That brings your arguement down to performance, which I already stated. That means we agree on that part. And yes, being mid engine actually does have a lot to do with it. Mid engine, high performance and exotic. That's a supercar. And Corvette are somewhat exotic.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:30 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

I’d say that a supercar has to have exceptional performance(for its time) and attention to detail. It must be focused on performance and it must also be exclusive. I disagree that it must be mid-engine: The 812 Superfast, LFA, ZR1, Viper, Nissan GTR, and AMG GT R are all supercars in my mind.

The engine should, at the very least, be easy to access. However, it may not be visible from outside the car. If you look at the leaked key fob, there’s a button that opens the frunk, as we would all expect. However, there’s also a button to open the rear hatch. I wouldn’t expect a key fob to have a button that lets you pop the hood of your car, so I believe that the area over the engine will be a rear trunk. This would provide a place to store a Targa top, which is expected to be standard on the C8. It could also give to C8 more storage space than any sports car or exotic on the market, which is something that traditional Corvette owners would appreciate.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:54 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Exclusivity and exotic are the same thing. That brings your arguement down to performance, which I already stated. That means we agree on that part. And yes, being mid engine actually does have a lot to do with it. Mid engine, high performance and exotic. That's a supercar. And Corvette are somewhat exotic.
How easy is it to look up the definition of a word? Exclusivity and exotic are not even remotely close in meaning, lol. Look at it this way, new supercars are not affordable to middle class people. The everyday corvette is America's blue collar sports car, there is nothing exclusive or exotic (remember two different words with two different meanings) about it. The fact is that corvette is a great performing sports car but doesn't come close to a true supercar.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

How easy is it to look up the definition of a word? Exclusivity and exotic are not even remotely close in meaning, lol. Look at it this way, new supercars are not affordable to middle class people. The everyday corvette is America's blue collar sports car, there is nothing exclusive or exotic (remember two different words with two different meanings) about it. The fact is that corvette is a great performing sports car but doesn't come close to a true supercar.
I disagree. High exclusivity is exotic. Low exclusivity is not exotic. Simple.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

I disagree. High exclusivity is exotic. Low exclusivity is not exotic. Simple.
You had the chance to look up the words and still failed to figure it out? Here are some links for you. I cant believe with all the information we have available to us someone can legitimately argue about the definition of words.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exotic
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exclusive
Old 12-01-2018, 07:10 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

You had the chance to look up the words and still failed to figure it out? Here are some links for you. I cant believe with all the information we have available to us someone can legitimately argue about the definition of words.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exotic
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/exclusive
I am baffled that you can't understand me.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

You said they are they same thing and they are absolutely irrefutably not. Now maybe what you are thinking is they are related. I could see how you could say exclusivity and exotic qualities are related however, they are not the same thing. Even then I would say you could have something that is exclusive without being exotic. For example, a 1969 Camaro ZL-1 is exclusive (only 69 produced) but not exotic.

Last edited by Sub Driver; 12-01-2018 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

You said they are they same thing and they are absolutely irrefutably not. Now maybe what you are thinking is they are related. I could see how you could say exclusivity and exotic qualities are related however, they are not the same thing. Even then I would say you could have something that is exclusive without being exotic. For example, a 1969 Camaro ZL-1 is exclusive (only 69 produced) but not exotic.
Finally we are agreeing. I admit I confusing the two. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:07 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Baffled is what someone does to an optic in order to prevent stray light from harming the image passing through.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Isn't that bafflING?

Get notified of new replies

To Let's see under the hood?

Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Yarbir gets it.

I hope the Corvette never becomes a supercar. It needs to remain the best bang for the buck car that most people can eventually afford. Taking it to supercar status will kill it.

Last edited by NY09C6; 12-01-2018 at 08:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NY09C6:
edved (12-02-2018), Puttnutt24 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by NY09C6
Yarbir gets it.

I hope the Corvette never becomes a supercar. It needs to remain the best bang for the buck car that most people can eventually afford. Taking it to supercar status will kill it.
There are not enough Corvette buyers to keep the Corvette alive if it priced similar to other cars, most of them exotic, that have achieved true supercar status. It needs to stay affordable to the "working man/woman" in order to survive. GM does not have the resources to sink the money they have sunk into the BG Assembly Plant to build a car that does not sell at least 25K units per year as a minimum.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:32 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
There are not enough Corvette buyers to keep the Corvette alive if it priced similar to other cars, most of them exotic, that have achieved true supercar status. It needs to stay affordable to the "working man/woman" in order to survive. GM does not have the resources to sink the money they have sunk into the BG Assembly Plant to build a car that does not sell at least 25K units per year as a minimum.
And that is why the C8 will be FE and the successor to the C7, and the ME 2020 Corvette Zora Stingray will be priced higher with higher quality, performance for those that can afford a little more money and want better performance and quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zora.Info:
Puttnutt24 (12-02-2018), VetterFlyer (12-02-2018)

Quick Reply: Let's see under the hood?