Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about new paint shop

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 05:12 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Question about new paint shop

While I was setting at a stop light this morning, there was a brand new Cadillac next to me. The way the sun shone on it, there was an awful lot of orange peel in the finish.
Question is, and take into account I know nothing on how the production process for car goes: if the new paint shop is so new and big, could they actually use that as a central paint facility for caddy? Paint the panels there and send them to assembly plants?
Maybe this has been addressed before, maybe not. Maybe a stupid question. Logistics might be a nightmare. But for a supposed high end car, the finish wasn't all that.
Thanks
Old 12-01-2018, 06:34 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by sluggballz
While I was setting at a stop light this morning, there was a brand new Cadillac next to me. The way the sun shone on it, there was an awful lot of orange peel in the finish.
Question is, and take into account I know nothing on how the production process for car goes: if the new paint shop is so new and big, could they actually use that as a central paint facility for caddy? Paint the panels there and send them to assembly plants?
Maybe this has been addressed before, maybe not. Maybe a stupid question. Logistics might be a nightmare. But for a supposed high end car, the finish wasn't all that.
Thanks
You're right, logistics would be a nightmare. And with Cadillac having quite a bit of trouble right now, it would make no sense. Most Cadillac buyers are spending their retirement checks on it and don't care about the quality. Cadillacs are cars they always fantasized and they always wanted. But the Cadillacs they wanted are very different from the new ones. Corvettes are basically a halo brand for GM, so they want to focus on quality. New Corvettes have basically nearly perfect paint. Other GM vehicles not so much. Although Cadilac is technically a halo brand as well. The Cadillac ME will be made at BG, so it will be painted there as well. But painting all Cadillacs there would be not worth it.

Last edited by Zora.Info; 12-01-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Just a side note, my buddy said they have a lot of coats of paint makes me wonder why the orange peel. As said before these are massed produced cars with probably little wet sanding or whatever the more exotics have done.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:51 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by ojm
Just a side note, my buddy said they have a lot of coats of paint makes me wonder why the orange peel. As said before these are massed produced cars with probably little wet sanding or whatever the more exotics have done.
Paint has next to nothing to do with it. It's all the clear coat. Every vehicle has orange peel. It just depends on the painting method and the clear coat which is why some have a ton and some have next to none. And the exotic manufacturers spend time wet sanding and/or polishing to get the finish right.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:05 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

My cousin won a new C7 a couple years ago at the Museum. He just traded it in for a 2019 Grand Sport. It's white. He says it is the worst paint job he's had on a Corvette..... and it came through the new paint process in BG. He even had communications with Kai (in writing) that explained why his was below expectations. With that said, our dozen plus Corvettes since 1968 are what they are..... mass produced production line vehicles. If you want show quality, have 'em repainted at a custom shop for $10K+ or go buy a Porsche or other limited production exotic for a $50-100K+ premium. . Remember, these are just Chevys.....

Sorry, but welcome to the real world.....
Old 12-01-2018, 11:10 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by tooold2race
My cousin won a new C7 a couple years ago at the Museum. He just traded it in for a 2019 Grand Sport. It's white. He says it is the worst paint job he's had on a Corvette..... and it came through the new paint process in BG. He even had communications with Kai (in writing) that explained why his was below expectations. With that said, our dozen plus Corvettes since 1968 are what they are..... mass produced production line vehicles. If you want show quality, have 'em repainted at a custom shop for $10K+ or go buy a Porsche or other limited production exotic for a $50-100K+ premium. . Remember, these are just Chevys.....

How did he win a C7? And if the paint was so bad, why did he buy it? I'm sorry but I see too many holes in this story. And there is no reason for a repaint on a brand new car. Most problems are in the clear coat and are easy to repair by simply polishing. If the defects are really bad, westsanding is an option too.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:24 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Please read!!! He won one a couple years ago. They have drawings once a month since 'forever'..... He sold it and bought a NEW 2019. Do I need to read the rest to you????
Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Sorry, not acceptable at all. A new GS is how much, with a worse paint finish than the average family sedan at half the price.

They aren't just Chevys. Ridiculous for all the money spent investing in BG and the C8, if it ends up having the same **** pore orange peel.

It's an insult other vehicles look better, and your suggestion to have a new car repainted is OMFG laughable.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Please read!!! He won one a couple years ago. They have drawings once a month since 'forever'..... He sold it and bought a NEW 2019. Do I need to read the rest to you????
No, I think you need to reread my reply before rudely suggesting that I should be read to. I understand he won the FIRST car, and then asked how. I understood he sold the FIRST car to buy the SECOND car, the 2019. I then asked why did he BUY the SECOND car if the paint supposedly is so bad. I think you are the one that needs to read.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:38 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

He bought the 2nd car then found the paint to be significantly below expectations AFTER all the noise about the NEW paint facility.

My point is that 'paint' has been an issue on Corvettes for closing on 70 years!!! I still buy 'em because they are Corvettes but I don't try to compare 'em to my Ferrari or Aston Martin or Mercedes. They are what they are and to quote the motoring press since day 1, " a GREAT value... for the money". I'm tired about all the whining about the paint finish. I think it darn good for what it is at the price point. If it isn't good enough for others expectations, move on....
The following users liked this post:
elegant (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

He bought the 2nd car then found the paint to be significantly below expectations AFTER all the noise about the NEW paint facility.

My point is that 'paint' has been an issue on Corvettes for closing on 70 years!!! I still buy 'em because they are Corvettes but I don't try to compare 'em to my Ferrari or Aston Martin or Mercedes. They are what they are and to quote the motoring press since day 1, " a GREAT value... for the money". I'm tired about all the whining about the paint finish. I think it darn good for what it is at the price point. If it isn't good enough for others expectations, move on....
I do agree with the second part of your statement, however I still have to argue with you about the first. Expectations don't really matter, the simple fact is if paint is in bad shape (like you said it is) it is in bad shape, plain and simple. Meeting expectations has nothing to do with that. Unless your expectations are set really really low to the point that you would accept bad paint on a $70K car.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:49 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My C7 had the worst paint job on any car I ever owned. Places on it looked like someone painted over a pizza. It was so bad I was afraid to take it down would cut through the paint.

I'm hoping the new paint facility takes care of this issue.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
Paint has next to nothing to do with it. It's all the clear coat. Every vehicle has orange peel. It just depends on the painting method and the clear coat which is why some have a ton and some have next to none. And the exotic manufacturers spend time wet sanding and/or polishing to get the finish right.
Yes that was what I meant to say. My buddy said his caddy had so many layers of clear coats.

Last edited by ojm; 12-02-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:28 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
You're right, logistics would be a nightmare. And with Cadillac having quite a bit of trouble right now, it would make no sense. Most Cadillac buyers are spending their retirement checks on it and don't care about the quality. Cadillacs are cars they always fantasized and they always wanted. But the Cadillacs they wanted are very different from the new ones. Corvettes are basically a halo brand for GM, so they want to focus on quality. New Corvettes have basically nearly perfect paint. Other GM vehicles not so much. Although Cadilac is technically a halo brand as well. The Cadillac ME will be made at BG, so it will be painted there as well. But painting all Cadillacs there would be not worth it.
This entire reply is nonsense from you claiming to know "most Cadillac buyers" & why they are buying Cadillacs, to GM "wanting to focus on quality" of Corvettes, to new Corvettes having basically near perfect paint. I don't think I've read one post from you yet that contains any factual information, but you sure are confident in your mis-information & dismissing those whose information you feel is just opinion. :roll eyes:

To the OP, GM has always had issues with paint & orange peel. I can't think of one GM vehicle I've owned that did not have substantial orange peel, yet many other of my vehicles from other manufacturers have nearly no noticeable orange peel so it obviously can be done

Last edited by JABCAT; 12-02-2018 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Most major brands have orange peeled paint. Orange peel seems to be prevalent since the manufacturers switched over to more environmentally safer paints and solvents along with the base coat/clear coat paint jobs. The other thing I have noticed is the orange peel isn't consistent from one car to the next of one brand. I have seen Camry's with almost no orange peel and others on the same dealer lot with lots of orange peel. Sort of like maybe the weather at the plant the day the car is painted affects the paint.

Bill
Old 12-02-2018, 10:04 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I guess after awhile I don't worry about orange peel.

Two incidents: at a car show, my older C6 car was parked outside the "show cars"--guy walks up and asks, is that a re-paint--says he's been a car painter for 30+ years? No, it's factory. He said, damn, they are really getting it right. It's an '08.

Second one was a Porsche friend went Corvette shopping with me a few years back, commented on the lousy paint on the outdoor Corvettes in the gleaming mid-day sun. I asked him if we could look at his fav brand, Porsche across a very busy street. We crossed and as were walking the new-car lot of Porsches, in the bright sun it was easy to see the waves and "peel" of the cars. When we got inside, several new ones were also easy to see the "peel."

He was, to say the least, very dismayed. Why? Because now he knew when he went home he had to look at his car and would see the same as these new cars, Corvette AND Porsche.

Bill D is right: most new cars have some form of "peel". If Corvette gets it down below a certain level due to the new paint booth, I say, great! If not, so what? It doesn't lessen the ride, handling and punch of the Corvette to me. jmo.
The following users liked this post:
SLWRNU (12-05-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:57 AM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by JABCAT
This entire reply is nonsense from you claiming to know "most Cadillac buyers" & why they are buying Cadillacs, to GM "wanting to focus on quality" of Corvettes, to new Corvettes having basically near perfect paint. I don't think I've read one post from you yet that contains any factual information, but you sure are confident in your mis-information & dismissing those whose information you feel is just opinion. :roll eyes:

To the OP, GM has always had issues with paint & orange peel. I can't think of one GM vehicle I've owned that did not have substantial orange peel, yet many other of my vehicles from other manufacturers have nearly no noticeable orange peel so it obviously can be done
Oh look, we got a know it all.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about new paint shop

Old 12-02-2018, 02:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

All production cars have OP if you look closely enough under the right lights, from various angles. It's in both base and clear coats.

The only way to avoid it entirely is wet sanding and polishing after base coat application, then wet sanding and polishing after clear coat application. That's a paint job starting at $40K, and robots can't do it.

It is done on some very high $$$ cars, but nothing I'm aware of under $300K. You'll also see some of these crazy expensive paint jobs on high-end custom cars.

The new paint plant has most definitely reduced it on C7s, but it has not eliminated it. That would be impossible in the C7 price bracket.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-02-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:39 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is done on some very high $$$ cars, but nothing I'm aware of under $300K. You'll also see some of these crazy expensive paint jobs on high-end custom cars.
None under $300K? All McLarens are polished and/or wetsanded from the factory, leaving no orange peel. The finish is basically perfect. This is done on even the $200K 570S.

The new paint plant has most definitely reduced it on C7s, but it has not eliminated it. That would be impossible in the C7 price bracket.
Actually, it would be nice to see this done on the ZR1's. Another way to make it more high end and more special than it already is. Something extra to set it apart from the lesser models. The C6 ZR1 was delivered in enclosed trailers for example. I think there are some things, even simple ones, that could be done by Chevy to enhance the ZR1 buying and ownership experience.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
My C7 had the worst paint job on any car I ever owned. Places on it looked like someone painted over a pizza. It was so bad I was afraid to take it down would cut through the paint.

I'm hoping the new paint facility takes care of this issue.
Sorry yours does but ours is pretty good as is our C5.

Quick Reply: Question about new paint shop