Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape* - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 AM
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bdsvavars View Post
The scoop actually has a very similar shape in my latest renders, it just has a black insert.

Looks a little overdone to me and very Audi R8ish. But that C1 like shape is close to perfect IMO. Maybe more like the lower rear cove on the C7 GS formed similar to the C1 as you depict.

The Following User Says Thank You to CRABBYJ For This Useful Post:
wingman1659 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:56 AM
sidepipe seeker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Side scoops are there to direct air into the engine coolant radiators.....much in the same fashion as the Ferrari Testarossa
Old 12-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Old School
CF Member

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ View Post
That shaped scoop outline looks somewhat familiar to me.

That shape also looks familiar to me. Maybe it will be built in France.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old School For This Useful Post:
CRABBYJ (12-04-2018), firstvettesoon (12-04-2018), sidepipe seeker (12-04-2018), z edge (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 AM
firstvettesoon
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,136 Times in 415 Posts

For massive quantities of air!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Buddhaman

So have we written off the side scoops from the C8R that was briefly seen? All the renders and postulation lately has been that the design is completely different or there's some extra panel that'll be there.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:16 PM
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Buddhaman View Post
So have we written off the side scoops from the C8R that was briefly seen? All the renders and postulation lately has been that the design is completely different or there's some extra panel that'll be there.
Zoom it towards the bottom of the scoop. You'll see that whole rear quarter panel is an overlay, there is a gap there. They need a wide fenders to fit wide wheels. That car also has many other more aggressive aero components that will never be see on the street car.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:28 PM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zora.Info View Post
Zoom it towards the bottom of the scoop. You'll see that whole rear quarter panel is an overlay, there is a gap there. They need a wide fenders to fit wide wheels. That car also has many other more aggressive aero components that will never be see on the street car.
Seen all the images, studied all the images. Zoomed in, don't see it. Where is this supposed overlay in the image above?
Old 12-04-2018, 01:45 PM
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Old School View Post
That shape also looks familiar to me. Maybe it will be built in France.

Now that I hold my iPad sideways, I see what you mean. Maybe more clues here?.

The Following User Says Thank You to CRABBYJ For This Useful Post:
z edge (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Jaylars
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
If the cutout would have a little sharper angle, we could use it to open a beer bottle! A first in Corvette history.
Well let's not forget the C3 hood latch plate. Cousin showed me this bottle opener in the 70's.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaylars For This Useful Post:
range96 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jaylars View Post
Well let's not forget the C3 hood latch plate. Cousin showed me this bottle opener in the 70's.

I missed this gem, my first Vette was an '86.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:37 AM
NORTY
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Zora.Info View Post
(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it).
That "cloaking" wasn't a design for looks or style. It was GM aerodynamicists working on reducing "lift" and channeling more air for cooling.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 AM
alienranch
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*?

No. Everyone has. It just isn't reflected in every rendering out there.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
That "cloaking" wasn't a design for looks or style. It was GM aerodynamicists working on reducing "lift" and channeling more air for cooling.
What are you talking about? It was to make it harder to see what the shape of the front end was while it was a camoed test mule. You are misinformed.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

I missed this gem, my first Vette was an '86.
Well then you missed the gem that was the 84'.

Beautiful two-tone silver and gray paint...then coupled with an engine you can't really modify, a B pillar brace that cracks over time, a windshield wiper switch that must be replaced about once a year, and sensors that may randomly turn off your instrument panel requiring you to bang your fist on the dash until they turn back on. Great car? No. Personality? Yes. Strangely would love to have another one just like it...fully restored (even though that would only last a few days).
Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime View Post
Well then you mlssed the gem that was the 84'.

Beautiful two-tone silver and gray paint...then coupled with an engine you can't really modify, a B pillar brace that cracks over time, a windshield wiper switch that must be replaced about once a year, and sensors that may randomly turn off your instrument panel requiring you to bang your fist on the dash until they turn back on. Great car? No. Personality? Yes. Strangely would love to have another one just like it...fully restored (even though that would only last a few days).
The '86 had its own list of issues, head gaskets leaking, ignition key contact problem, clear top spider webbing, headlight door gear shearing, overdrive unit failures, limited slip clutch...
I still loved that car! Replaced it with a ZR-1. Loved that even more. Replaced that with a ZR1. Loved that even more. And the story keeps repeating itself. Stay tuned.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:26 PM
trivette
CF Senior Member

The way I see it when viewing the most updated colorized images there is an upper portion of the side scoop that is a part of the upper door skin. Does this extra width create a problem when parking next to another vehicle or in one's garage? Maybe an illusion, but seems like this portion would extend out further than the door skin itself.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

The '86 had its own list of issues, head gaskets leaking, ignition key contact problem, clear top spider webbing, headlight door gear shearing, overdrive unit failures, limited slip clutch...
I still loved that car! Replaced it with a ZR-1. Loved that even more. Replaced that with a ZR1. Loved that even more. And the story keeps repeating itself. Stay tuned.
I forgot about the headlight door gear issue. Thank you GM for plastic gears on those. The solution was to replace the motor with the motor from I believe 88 '- forward.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: