Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape* - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

Old 12-03-2018, 06:42 PM
  #1  
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 185
Thanked 54 Times in 23 Posts
Default Am I The Only One That See This? *Side Intake Shape*

We have seen many renderings of many different scoop shapes recently. While closely looking at a spy photo of the ME Corvette, I noticed something. We all know that, while the heavy thick tarps are gone, the camo is much more form fitting and has revealed a lot to us. But it is still hiding a lot, and is a pattern that does a good job decieving the eye. So basically its doing its purpose well lol. One of the more controversial aspects of this highly anticipated new car is the side air intake "scoop". I drew a line on the picture, which I have attached below. This is what I see. We all know that the real scoop shape is being hidden, and there is still some plastic or whatever it is hiding the shape(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it). What you see may be different, but I see a slight contour in the camo where I drew the line. Perhaps one of the great rendering artists on this site will throw together a rendering with this shape.
Zora.Info is online now  
Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 PM
  #2  
range96
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,017
Thanked 63 Times in 56 Posts
Default

If the cutout would have a little sharper angle, we could use it to open a beer bottle! A first in Corvette history.
range96 is offline  
Old 12-03-2018, 07:04 PM
  #3  
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,511
Thanked 579 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zora.Info View Post
We have seen many renderings of many different scoop shapes recently. While closely looking at a spy photo of the ME Corvette, I noticed something. We all know that, while the heavy thick tarps are gone, the camo is much more form fitting and has revealed a lot to us. But it is still hiding a lot, and is a pattern that does a good job decieving the eye. So basically its doing its purpose well lol. One of the more controversial aspects of this highly anticipated new car is the side air intake "scoop". I drew a line on the picture, which I have attached below. This is what I see. We all know that the real scoop shape is being hidden, and there is still some plastic or whatever it is hiding the shape(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it). What you see may be different, but I see a slight contour in the camo where I drew the line. Perhaps one of the great rendering artists on this site will throw together a rendering with this shape.

This has pointed out several times. Videos of the car going around the 'Ring have shown the camo wrap flexing under wind stress and revealing the outline of the shape, very closely how you have it outlined.

That shape also peaks through the black tarp in a couple spy photos taken almost a year ago.

The sketch I made of the two pictures I saw of the car nearly a year ago also show this same basic shape, though my drawing sucked and trying to draw the shape fro a front side angle is a challenge for the drawing handicapped such as myself..

Last edited by C7pimp; 12-03-2018 at 07:08 PM.
C7pimp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to C7pimp For This Useful Post:
firstvettesoon (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:49 PM
  #4  
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 185
Thanked 54 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
This has pointed out several times.
I know that. I've read many threads on this forum every single day for nearly 2 years. The reason I brought it to attention is becuase many renderings as of late have strayed far from what it is going to look like.
Zora.Info is online now  
Old 12-03-2018, 07:55 PM
  #5  
C7pimp
CF Senior Member
 
C7pimp's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,511
Thanked 579 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zora.Info View Post
I know that. I've read many threads on this forum every single day for nearly 2 years. The reason I brought it to attention is becuase many renderings as of late have strayed far from what it is going to look like.

So the question in the title of your thread was rhetorical. Got it.
C7pimp is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to C7pimp For This Useful Post:
sidepipe seeker (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 07:57 PM
  #6  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,394
Thanked 741 Times in 544 Posts
Default

As good a guess as any other..

id say it will be close and will look awesome.

i personally believe the outer projection to the outer side of the vehicle have been much too pronounced in previous excellent sketchs..

i believe the side scoops will be mild and toned down...underneath the cladding...

when gm offers a higher performance version...im not sure it will the wheellips expanded an inch or two as in orevious generations...

i believe the main styling changes for the c8 z06 model will be around the wideness of the side scoop...

the bigger the scoop...the higher the performance version and sure the rear fenders could get wider at the same time..
JerriVette is offline  
Old 12-03-2018, 08:06 PM
  #7  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Default

It is more than the shape of the intake port. The entire quarter must be enlarged (hight/width). There is no way GM got it that wrong even taking into account that they destroyed their Silverado and Camaro.
NY09C6 is offline  
Old 12-03-2018, 08:26 PM
  #8  
Kodiak Bear
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 28
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=Zora.Info;1598438317]We have seen many renderings of many different scoop shapes recently. While closely looking at a spy photo of the ME Corvette, I noticed something. We all know that, while the heavy thick tarps are gone, the camo is much more form fitting and has revealed a lot to us. But it is still hiding a lot, and is a pattern that does a good job decieving the eye. So basically its doing its purpose well lol. One of the more controversial aspects of this highly anticipated new car is the side air intake "scoop". I drew a line on the picture, which I have attached below. This is what I see. We all know that the real scoop shape is being hidden, and there is still some plastic or whatever it is hiding the shape(look at the video where Chevy showed how they put plastic on the front end of the 2019 Camaro to distort its actual shape when testing it). What you see may be different, but I see a slight contour in the camo where I drew the line. Perhaps one of the great rendering artists on this site will throw together a rendering with this shape.
[/QUOTE
Having read "The thinking eye, the seeing brain" I'm a bit causus about what I see. However, I want to see what you show as I've wanted a shape/location like that for a long time. So, I'll stick out my neck and say, THAT'S IT

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 12-03-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Kodiak Bear is offline  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 PM
  #9  
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member
 
CRABBYJ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,801
Thanked 249 Times in 161 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist
Default

That shaped scoop outline looks somewhat familiar to me.


CRABBYJ is offline  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 PM
  #10  
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 185
Thanked 54 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ View Post
That shaped scoop outline looks somewhat familiar to me.


Wow, didn't even think of that. If it does end up looking like my outline, that would be a really cool tribute to the C1. C1 is the first Corvette ever, C8 is the revolutionary change, makes sense!
Zora.Info is online now  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:09 PM
  #11  
firstvettesoon
CF Senior Member
 
firstvettesoon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,397
Thanked 1,136 Times in 415 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C7pimp View Post
This has pointed out several times. Videos of the car going around the 'Ring have shown the camo wrap flexing under wind stress and revealing the outline of the shape, very closely how you have it outlined.

That shape also peaks through the black tarp in a couple spy photos taken almost a year ago.

The sketch I made of the two pictures I saw of the car nearly a year ago also show this same basic shape, though my drawing sucked and trying to draw the shape fro a front side angle is a challenge for the drawing handicapped such as myself..

this shape has been discussed many times and is “close” to the shape shown in the leaked CAD drawing BUT the CAD scoop opening was a bit more angular and shaped more like this rendering.
Below is a body color version. I think this solution works for both eyewitness descriptions.




firstvettesoon is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to firstvettesoon For This Useful Post:
Shaka (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:14 PM
  #12  
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 185
Thanked 54 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon View Post



this shape has been discussed many times and is “close” to the shape shown in the leaked CAD drawing BUT the CAD scoop opening was a bit more angular and shaped more like this rendering.
Below is a body color version. I think this solution works for both eyewitness descriptions.




IMO the top one looks much better and closer to my outline, as well as the car we saw the scoop through the black tarp. But it would be cool if GM offered that little panel from the bottom rendering in body color or carbon fiber. Would be a nice addition. Either way, that rendering has got to be close.
Zora.Info is online now  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:15 PM
  #13  
NY09C6
CF Senior Member
 
NY09C6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,257
Thanks: 0
Thanked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
this shape has been discussed many times and is “close” to the shape shown in the leaked CAD drawing BUT the CAD scoop opening was a bit more angular and shaped more like this rendering.
Below is a body color version. I think this solution works for both eyewitness descriptions.




This looks like ****. Literarily like one design team did the front and another did the rear then bolted them together.
NY09C6 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to NY09C6 For This Useful Post:
firstvettesoon (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM
  #14  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: I'm a white nationalist too apparently
Posts: 27,030
Thanked 172 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zora.Info View Post
I know that. I've read many threads on this forum every single day for nearly 2 years. The reason I brought it to attention is becuase many renderings as of late have strayed far from what it is going to look like.

I saw what you saw. I just didn't have the tools or patience to present it. I think it pays slight homage to the old school "cove" design as well as serve a functional purpose.
Aerovette is online now  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:23 PM
  #15  
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 185
Thanked 54 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I saw what you saw. I just didn't have the tools or patience to present it. I think it pays slight homage to the old school "cove" design as well as serve a functional purpose.
I agree. It's a nice nod to the old school design.
Zora.Info is online now  
Old 12-03-2018, 09:40 PM
  #16  
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member
 
CRABBYJ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,801
Thanked 249 Times in 161 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Zora.Info View Post
I agree. It's a nice nod to the old school design.
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I saw what you saw. I just didn't have the tools or patience to present it. I think it pays slight homage to the old school "cove" design as well as serve a functional purpose.
Lots of ideas on this, and I suspect some close, but I think we are all in for a surprise. I lean toward design heritage thus this possibility intrigues me since I first saw a C1 when I was 10 in 1953. Below my original posts using the C1 design inspiration on the ME.



CRABBYJ is offline  
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 PM
  #17  
firstvettesoon
CF Senior Member
 
firstvettesoon's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,397
Thanked 1,136 Times in 415 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by NY09C6 View Post
This looks like ****. Literarily like one design team did the front and another did the rear then bolted them together.
As basic as this rendering is based on the known or assumed body lines, the design is quite cohesive and honors Corvette design language and lineage IMO.
firstvettesoon is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to firstvettesoon For This Useful Post:
Shaka (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:48 AM
  #18  
ZL-1
CF Senior Member
 
ZL-1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: IL / FL .
Posts: 3,859
Thanked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Default Heritage

It’s been a while since anyone pointed out the scoop shapes of the 1986 Corvette Indy concept and the 1990 Cerv III. I’ve been expecting something similar all along:


ZL-1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ZL-1 For This Useful Post:
firstvettesoon (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:50 AM
  #19  
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2018
Posts: 185
Thanked 54 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZL-1 View Post
It’s been a while since anyone pointed out the scoop shapes of the 1986 Corvette Indy concept and the 1990 Cerv III. I’ve been expecting something similar all along:


So, it looks like we're getting a mix of the scoop on those concepts, and the decal on the side of the C1 Corvette. I like it.
Zora.Info is online now  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM
  #20  
bdsvavars
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 19
Thanked 109 Times in 12 Posts
Default

The scoop actually has a very similar shape in my latest renders, it just has a black insert.

bdsvavars is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdsvavars For This Useful Post:
edved (12-04-2018), firstvettesoon (12-04-2018), Shaka (12-04-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: