Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 12:19 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Fake news: NOT an issue, ever.
Is this post in jest? Mine was, or did you miss the emoji?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Suggest all get used to the idea of a higher spinning, smaller cid, more efficient, turbo engine in their Vettes!
Sure. I guess I ll have to keep my outmoded, obsolete '12 ZR1 LS9, with the motor in the front and a short deck. A real Vette.[/QUOTE]

Yep, and while driving the double overhead cam, turbo engine in my C8 I keep the '34 with it's 502 cid BB with Sanderson Headers and a Holley 850 double pumper!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:12 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Sure. I guess I ll have to keep my outmoded, obsolete '12 ZR1 LS9, with the motor in the front and a short deck. A real Vette.

Yep, and while driving the double overhead cam, turbo engine in my C8 I keep the '34 with it's 502 cid BB with Sanderson Headers and a Holley 850 double pumper!

[/QUOTE]

Thank You for the dumbest post on this Forum during the last month or so. And, you had a lot of competion.
The following users liked this post:
sidepipe seeker (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:56 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts
Default Holley Double Pumper

The first Corvette I ever rode in was a '62 with a 327 small block modified with a Racer Brown cam and a Holley 850 double pumper. It made quite an impression on me !!
Old 12-08-2018, 04:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
Thank You for the dumbest post on this Forum during the last month or so. And, you had a lot of competion.[/QUOTE]
Mine was in response to what I thought you meant to be funny.

This one is to respond to your foolish one!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-08-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:38 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Appears pretty simple to me!

GM sells cars to dealers, who sell them to customers. No doubt dealers are reducing their purchases now in anticipation of buying C8s to sell.. If GM announces their exact plans too soon to satisfy folks curiosity, how may C7's would you expect the dealers to buy?? GM will provide incentives for dealers to push C7's off the lot when they introduce the C8. All costly.
Old saying sell what's on the truck.....
JerryU (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:49 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Up until recently, very few outside of the design, engineering, and testing teams, as well as senior GM execs have seen it. However, there are folks in the GM network who will be critical to the success of the car when it debuts. They are now being allowed to see the car and have been briefed on some of the details.
Foosh's statements are absolutely true. I can guarantee that there are select dealer principals and dealer GMs that have been briefed on, and in some cases, seen the production vehicle. I have personally transported such individuals to these events. There is a lot of excitement about the C8...and upcoming products from Cadillac. Beyond the previous sentence, as close as I am, that's all I can share.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:52 PM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Hey PCMIII, here's a FACT for you.
I don't know if they're going to call the new car "Manta Ray", but I'm certain they didn't go through the time and trouble (and money) for the hell of it. They copyrighted "Zora" also, but somehow that's OK.
There is no Manta Ray. That trademark was filed in 2015. It means nothing. Domains and trademarked names are done all the time it doesn't mean a single thing. Your going to be angry when they reveal the car just remember you already heard the real info it's a low volume beast that will kill a 720 period it's not your friend at works corvette.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:08 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
There is no Manta Ray. That trademark was filed in 2015. It means nothing. Domains and trademarked names are done all the time it doesn't mean a single thing. Your going to be angry when they reveal the car just remember you already heard the real info it's a low volume beast that will kill a 720 period it's not your friend at works corvette.
Got any proof of the above or did you just pull it out of your ***?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:19 PM
C6Z06C6
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model.

Last edited by C6Z06C6; 12-08-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:48 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 865 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Z06C6
Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model. Please let there be a twin turbo V8 model.
There already is. The Blackwing being built as we speak at Bowling Green.
C6Z06C6 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 12:19 AM
blipit_
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 122 Posts

Definitely challenging the 720S with small blank steel rotors and 4S tires.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV

Got any proof of the above or did you just pull it out of your ***?
Sigh... Never in the annals of Man has so much Rumor been so believed by so many.... No one has proof of anything. GM has made it so.
Actually, I take that back. There is another Rumor more widely believed : Roswell, New Mexico 1947. They are Here.

Last edited by tcinla; 12-10-2018 at 01:54 PM.
JerryU (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:53 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Oh my lord...I didn't say there WAS, I said they TRADEMARKED the name. EVERY person here is aware that companies trademark stuff ALL THE TIME.

As for the rest of your post, did you get tired of using caps and punctuation? But you believe ONE YEAR FROM NOW, the newly released production mid-engine Corvette is going to be (in no particular order):
1. A McLaren 720S killer
2. A "low volume" car

Old 12-10-2018, 06:38 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
"I’m close enough to the inside to know the following about GM’s plans for the Corvette."
So this guy is not on the inside of Corvette or GM. There is no explanation of his sources or how he got his information.
Anyone with actual knowledge who breaks GM's information embargo is terminated immediately and permanently, period.

"If you don’t believe me then that’s fine, I wouldn’t either if I was in your shoes."
So now he is off the hook for any BS being spread. Got it.

"The C8 Corvettes at Nürburgring are the real thing."
Did anyone not know this? Why is he telling us this?

"A DCT transaxle is used in all C8 Corvettes, no exceptions."
Everyone knows this too. What is the point?

"The R&D investment in the DCT is said to be equivalent to that of both the manual and automatic in the C7 - they knew they had one chance to get the DCT right."
This is a nonsense statement: GM spent basically nothing additional for the transmissions in the C7 and if they built a DCT like the A8, they did not get it right. Should have bought a Getrag and saved time and money.

Bottom Line: This guy is a PR person or salesman who has heard some rumors.

What will GM do with all those Cadillac Blackwing TTs that now have no home with the CT6 cancelled?
Gee, I wonder?
I agree! Publish the source or it is not news. One has to think that GM will control release of info and I bet even GM figured out that people may post Corvette information on this site. It isn't that hard to figure out where this person posted from for the average tech nerd. If he is truly an insider then he probably signed a non-disclosure agreement which could mean legal issues if he violated it.

If Corvette does go expensive then it will be the end of it. Most people that buy Corvettes are retired people on a fixed income and those that would buy a Porsche/Ferrari first will still buy one first.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 865 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I agree! Publish the source or it is not news. One has to think that GM will control release of info and I bet even GM figured out that people may post Corvette information on this site. It isn't that hard to figure out where this person posted from for the average tech nerd. If he is truly an insider then he probably signed a non-disclosure agreement which could mean legal issues if he violated it.

If Corvette does go expensive then it will be the end of it. Most people that buy Corvettes are retired people on a fixed income and those that would buy a Porsche/Ferrari first will still buy one first.
Good point about the NDA. They usually carry huge financial penalties so any fool who breaks the information embargo is really going to pay the price.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan

It isn't that hard to walk into a Starbucks or any other place with a public hotspot, and publish a post with an IP address untraceable to the poster. And, those who have had information verbally shared by friends and associates are not going to violate their trust if they are honorable people.

So, as has been said many times, you can believe it or not, your choice. That's what's going on here in some instances, and some of the info is news and is credible. You'll just have to wait for the type of verification you're looking for when GM starts talking.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-10-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan

Old 12-10-2018, 08:47 PM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I doubt they will get rid of the Z06 and ZR1 RPO codes entirely if this is true. They will come back in time.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Patriot10
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts

Manta Ray

Me likey..
Maxie2U (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 PM
duanesZ06
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 264 Likes on 161 Posts

GM has one stab at this no second chance's. And I believe the OP has some real info. Also I believe they are going to compete with the exotics, so they will have a super upgraded interior version. I love what I just read I believe Corvette has a bright future and will help GM stay competitive for years to come.It could be the reason for trimming the dead out of the company make room for the future. Oh one more thing, they will be over $100,000 at least some of them all cars are costing more like everything else. You people who want a world class supercar on here for $60,000 get real you get what we have all been asking for better shifting better suspension better interior better this better that etc etc etc you ask for it you got it and it ani't Toyota!!!!!!!!!!! CORVETTE MANTA RAY love it!!!!

Quick Reply: Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan