Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan

Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM
NewYuriCity
Racer

Received 235 Likes on 86 Posts

Regardless of whether unlimitedPower is correct or not, that "GT" emblem was for the 2016 Opel GT concept, it is not something new.

The following 5 users liked this post by NewYuriCity:
elegant (12-06-2018), jagamajajaran (12-06-2018), mre1974 (12-06-2018), PCMIII (12-06-2018), Quinten33 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by zr_kaizen
Hey all - professional marketer here and I'm bored, so I'm going to break down this post and analyze it to figure out 1) if this person is a GM leaker and 2) SEO implications for news outlets.

Many have already commented on how the author diffuses responsibility and distances themselves away from clarification opportunities. It's standard playbook for leakers and fakers, so no news there. As is the same with any forum post, the admins/owners of CorvetteForum could IP trace and zero in on these authors to potentially reveal more information/authenticity. Something interesting here is that the author decides to uppercase "Eagle has Landed"...which doesn't align with grammar usage throughout the post. For the most part, AP style is used in this post (proper use of hyphen, periods in quotations in the correct place, etc.), so it's odd to see a misstep in grammar like this, unless it's a style choice. If it's a style choice, it's kind of repeated in the "Joey the Chevy Cruze expert" jab.

I'm interested in the fact that there is little keyword stuffing in this post. If GM wanted to this post to spread organically, we would see more instances of "Corvette Manta Ray" throughout the post. Instead what we see is lower-tier websites report on this (ie Motor1, GM Authority), which makes sense. These sites are hungry for clicks, so of course we're going to see them pick it up. It's interesting to see The Drive report on this as well, they are in the middle regarding auto-journo sites. Must be a slow news week. Either way, if this is a post from GM, it would be a test of viral-potency rather than seeding SEO for the "Corvette Manta Ray."

Speaking of keywords, we see more instances of "Grand Sport" more than "Manta Ray" in the post. Chevrolet has a confusing brand story when it comes to model trims and versions (ZR1, ZL1, Z51, Z71, RS, SS, GS, Z06, etc...) so re-positioning the brand around "Grand Sport" makes sense from a strategy perspective. Buyers are more likely to remember a car called "Eldorado" more than "XTS."

Again from a brand story and cohesion perspective, this is a tough sell for most buyers who have an affinity for GM. One of the biggest value props that GM leverages is the fact that any Chevrolet dealership is able to work on a Corvette because of the repair/maintenance framework GM has established to sustain their product lines. Taking away ease of access cannibalizes the perception around "America's Sports Car."

In my opinion, most of these "leaks" are bogus. Real leaks come in the form of solid evidence (think CAD schematics, photos, etc.), and I've seen PR/HR/fraud teams come down hard on leakers and plug the hole ASAP. I had key art leaked a few years ago and we were able to track down the source within 48 hours. That person worked for a third-party adjacent to the product I was working on, and because they broke NDA, they were terminated immediately.

Nobody wants to lose their job. We all need to eat. The risk/reward is minimal when it comes to leaking real information.

Now if this is GM seeding information and building anticipation among the faithful...it's possible. But highly unlikely. GM marketers aren't young guns breaking into new media to impact their target audience. No, they are box-product, old school marketers, who take pride in their marketing activations for their product. They rely on traditional beats for amplification and promotion across channels.
Thanks for the input, I love analyzing and I think you hit some interesting points. When the OP used the term "Eagle has Landed", that was my first hint that this was not a GM employee. If this is someone who works close with the Corvette project, I would have to say it's someone on the supplier end, contracted by GM. Interesting point about SEO and key words. I think the writing style of this individual resembles a personal want/need to share this information with the Corvette community. I agree, that if this were GM, there would be an image or more specific information such as dates, price, production, performance data, etc... and it would have been proof read and approved by GM Legal, and likely fed to the highest bidder aka news/media outlets.

Corvette brand, broken down to specific models makes sense. Hopefully trim levels and engine codes will also be simplified. For example, Base, Premium, Limited. No longer confuse ZR1, Z51, LT1, 1LT. People may not like the name Manta Ray, I don't, but people will adjust and love it just like how people complained about the taillights of the C7. It can't be Stingray, it has to be new, but not completely new to Corvette. To maximize Corvette sales and longevity, Corvette has to be treated different from Chevrolet. Chevrolet and most main-stream brands need to maximize customer convenience to stay current. Corvette customers value quality over convenience.

Corvette should be low volume, high profit, high quality (product and experience). Totally different than any other GM make and model. This will cause a problem for those super high volume Corvette dealers now, as their strategy has been high volume, low profit (what customer experience?). They will need to restructure, likely have X amount of Tech's for X amount of Corvettes sold. Problem is, these guys push the cars across the country and will likely never service 90% of their sales. If GM allows this strategy to continue, then that is bad news for the smaller dealers, like it's been for decades, and doesn't solve anything such as the bad rap that Chevy dealers have for Corvette sales and service. So we will either see an increase in Corvette dealers or a decrease. Depending on the difficulty GM sets to obtain "Corvette Certified" status. We won't know until the car is revealed.

What we need to remember is the mid-engine is a totally new breed. GM and the Corvette dealers will now be the "expert" on these cars, not the buyer. The previous strategy of pumping out Corvettes with no customer experience worked fine because the customers usually knew more about the car than the person selling them. Just give the customer the best price and the buyer is your best salesperson. This is a game changer, GM knows it, and it sounds like they are handling the ball.

Also, another thought, the OP makes some strong points such as a Grand Tour model, more luxury that has Cadillac behind the design. We all know that Cadillac will have their sister model due to the key fob leak. And IMO the key fob leak was a GM leak. GM has a social media team, they have a legal team, their leaks are typically a image. And they let the internet run wild with it. They knew that Cadillac was rumored to be the mid-engine car and Corvette would remain front engine. With all the hype of this mid-engine car, why not throw a bone to make it seem like a Cadillac again. Smart move IMO, this will build hype for the Cadillac, as that has been neglected. They have to sell those too! And, it will make the Corvette reveal, maybe, kinda, a surprise again (for some, not most). I think we are getting close to hearing from Chevrolet, or GM soon. A date announcement, teaser video, something. It's coming very soon. Or, an improv reveal in Detroit.

If this is a bogus leak, props to the OP for stirring up the internet. From my experience, I gather there is a lot of truth to the OP's post.

Last edited by n8dogg; 12-06-2018 at 01:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VETTE-NV (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
And most people on these Corvette forums that believe only one configuration is moving forward have yet to rationalize the tripling of the Bowling Green Plant size (950,000 to over 3,000,000). Why would GM triple the size of the plant to still build only one configuration when the old plant did just that. In fact the old plant had a 53,807 production back in the C3 year of 1979.
The 1979 Corvette was produced in St. Louis. They moved Corvette to BGA in 1981.

In the end, what difference does it make if GM produces 5 different name plates at BGA? How does that impact Corvette?
How about we stop highjacking this thread with BGA capacity

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-06-2018 at 01:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
Corvette ED (12-06-2018), VETTE-NV (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Post # 244 and counting. We have a contender here!! LoL
P.S. - The obligatory "Forum dudes, stop the madness now and close it down"... Carry on.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
The 1979 Corvette was produced in St. Louis. They moved Corvette to BGA in 1981.

In the end, what difference does it make if GM produces 5 different name plates at BGA? How does that impact Corvette?
Actually, they are building 5 different nameplates at BGA today.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:44 PM
solotronics
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Take my money GM!
You had me at "frighteningly powerful" and DCT.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:08 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by solotronics
Take my money GM!
You had me at "frighteningly powerful" and DCT.
The Hellcat Red Eye has 800 hp for under $72K. How much more frightening do you need?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:40 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
And you actually do have real evidence and knowledge because you work for Corvette, right? You know nothing more than anyone else here but you feel entitled to demean anyone you disagree with. Thanks for that!
hi pot, meet kettle
VETTE-NV (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:49 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ShagVette
hi pot, meet kettle
I have never claimed to have inside information like many people on this forum do.
I have never claimed to know more than other people do.
I have researched facts and analyzed them in a logical way which is highly annoying to many
people who prefer rumors and wild speculation. How about you?
Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Has it ever occurred to you that many of those who claim to have received inside information really did? Meanwhile you sit there, Googling away, and drawing bizarre conclusions.

As I've said many times, I really don't care whether you believe me or not. What I've said here will be confirmed soon enough.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-06-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Corvette ED (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:07 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I have never claimed to have inside information like many people on this forum do.
I have never claimed to know more than other people do.
I have researched facts and analyzed them in a logical way which is highly annoying to many
people who prefer rumors and wild speculation. How about you?
Not really the point. Your posts are almost always demeaning and argumentative when people disagree with you, yet you accuse other people of being demeaning. Your lack of introspection and self-awareness is truly over the top. I'm guessing it is a world record.

jcsperson (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:13 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

The Hellcat Red Eye has 800 hp for under $72K. How much more frightening do you need?
nar·row-mind·ed
/ˌnerōˈmīndəd/
adjective
adjective: narrow-minded
  1. not willing to listen to or tolerate other people's views; prejudiced.synonyms:intolerant, illiberal, reactionary, conservative, parochial, provincial, insular, small-minded, petty, blinkered, inward-looking, narrow, hidebound, prejudiced, bigoted;
    informalredneck
    "our school has no place for such narrow-minded teaching"antonyms:tolerant
Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

We've really come to this point that we're insulting each other because others have different ideas??! This is ridiculous. I've said it many times and I'll say it again: we're all just playing the waiting game. Some know more than others, but there is NO reason to insult people just becuase their thoughts differ from yours! Seems like there's a bunch of kindergartners on here.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:20 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Goaty
Manta Ray is a ridiculous name, I just can't believe that is what it will be called. That's how they will attract younger, affluent import drivers? I don't think so. The name alone is embarrassing.
Rumor has it that the C9 will be called "Rock Lobster."

The following 2 users liked this post by dvarapala:
Atari_Prime (12-06-2018), bigsapper (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:27 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dvarapala
Rumor has it that the C9 will be called "Rock Lobster."

Atari_Prime (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
nar·row-mind·ed
/ˌnerōˈmīndəd/
adjective
adjective: narrow-minded
  1. not willing to listen to or tolerate other people's views; prejudiced.synonyms:intolerant, illiberal, reactionary, conservative, parochial, provincial, insular, small-minded, petty, blinkered, inward-looking, narrow, hidebound, prejudiced, bigoted;
    informalredneck
    "our school has no place for such narrow-minded teaching"antonyms:tolerant
Where did that definition come from, that seems a very poor definition. As a matter of fact the synanyms are very narrow minded. Defining Illiberal, reactionary, and conservative which are verious view points as narrow minded is narrow minded. Also use of the word redneck is extremely narrow minded as it effectively derides an entire cultural life style.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:56 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Yes they are and on the mid engine the front marker lamps are integrated into the headlamp housings and the rear marker lamps are integrated into the taillamp housings.

Many other cars use this same design.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan

Old 12-06-2018, 04:19 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Actually, they are building 5 different nameplates at BGA today.
Yes. I meant 5 distinctly different cars (Corvette/Malibu/Equinox/etc)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Not really the point. Your posts are almost always demeaning and argumentative when people disagree with you, yet you accuse other people of being demeaning. Your lack of introspection and self-awareness is truly over the top. I'm guessing it is a world record.
Stop Reading My Posts, duh!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:31 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb

The massive expansion of the plant by a factor of 3 times it's original size certainly does play into GM's future plan of the Corvette. Mary Barra just came out and gave an intended 80% production capacity directive for all plants going forward. They now have to pay back this huge expansion cost. They will never recoup that cost with one configuration going forward. Not only will both FE and ME configurations go forward, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cadillac ME and Corvette SUV is in the mix. They have so much space available to them now they will have to produce more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Manta Ray: GM's bold new plan