Something Tells Me GM Management Has Delayed the C8 - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Something Tells Me GM Management Has Delayed the C8

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something Tells Me GM Management Has Delayed the C8

Old 12-06-2018, 12:14 PM
  #21  
JerryC5
CF Senior Member
 
JerryC5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: St.Louis MO
Posts: 2,817
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

I believe there is a correlation between the plant closings that Mary Berra announced, and the C8. Both are being done in the best interests of GM and it's stockholders.
The closing of plants that are way under capacity and the elimination of slow moving models will boost profits, trim down the company, make it more agile, and provide addition funds for new R&D.

So there is a delay in the C8 , so what? It only means that GM is doing it correctly, solve the problems before the car is sold.
JerryC5 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:21 PM
  #22  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,935
Thanked 1,286 Times in 976 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Speednet View Post
Well, right or not, I think at least the notion that the car would be introduced at the Detroit Auto Show (like the C7 was) is pretty much a no-go at this point -- which may possibly point to some kind of delay. The various dealer videos are interpreting the lack of a Detroit introduction as a signal that it will then be done in New York in the Spring, but I don't think there is any specific knowledge about that, just some educated guesses.

A delay would be a much bigger deal at GM with these cuts going on right now, so if there are problems I imagine they have very difficult decisions to be made between budgetary and quality dictates.
An "introduction" at an auto show does not mean in production.
The C8 doesn't HAVE to be on the road by February.

I don't believe a Detroit intro would be anything but good for the brand.
GM needs good news right now.

sunsalem is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 PM
  #23  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 14,799
Thanked 5,862 Times in 3,427 Posts
Default

Salem, while what you say is true, there's a distinction between "concept car" intros and production car intros. The latter are usually revealed along w/ production plans and dates. GM's not ready to talk about those subjects yet.
Foosh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Foosh For This Useful Post:
Corvette ED (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 01:38 PM
  #24  
Speednet
CF Senior Member
 
Speednet's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: Bridgewater NJ
Posts: 1,661
Thanked 261 Times in 142 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
An "introduction" at an auto show does not mean in production.
The C8 doesn't HAVE to be on the road by February.

I don't believe a Detroit intro would be anything but good for the brand.
GM needs good news right now.
True, introduction does not mean production, but once they officially unveil the car, the clock starts ticking until it goes into production. The worst thing they could do is introduce the car and then delay it. Talk about the worst PR ever. By delaying the introduction GM can say that's the way it was supposed to be, and avoid all the bad press.

Last edited by Speednet; 12-06-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Speednet is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:58 PM
  #25  
Zaro Tundov
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 341
Thanked 150 Times in 91 Posts
Default

GM has planned for electrification for many years now so they would already have fit C8 into their long term strategy.

If there is a delay, then it's more likely to be due to the pile up of C7 inventory than any engineering challenges. If it is an engineering delay then that's great, at least they caught the problem instead of dropping a defective product on the market.
Zaro Tundov is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:59 PM
  #26  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 20,522
Thanked 580 Times in 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

For GM to announce/reveal a new expensive “fun toy” car that only a tiny fraction of their customers can ever afford, at the same time they are laying off thousands of workers and closing other factories, would be a PR disaster which could make the current uproar seem like a bunny fart.
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
  #27  
Zaro Tundov
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2018
Posts: 341
Thanked 150 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
For GM to announce/reveal a new expensive “fun toy” car that only a tiny fraction of their customers can ever afford, at the same time they are laying off thousands of workers and closing other factories, would be a PR disaster which could make the current uproar seem like a bunny fart.
It was never planned to be announced "at the same time" as the layoffs. The plan was for the New York auto show that starts March 30th.

Also, BGA employs nearly 1000 works to build a highly profitable product with pride. If GM can't spin that positively then they deserve bad press.

Zaro Tundov is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:00 PM
  #28  
FrankLP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
FrankLP's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,756
Thanked 250 Times in 201 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
When no schedule has been announced, there can be no delay. If GM had announced they'd be revealing the new Corvette at DTW or NYC in 2019, and then cancelled that plan, that would be a delay.
with this 100%. Thank you Foosh.
FrankLP is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:16 PM
  #29  
GOC
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2017
Posts: 188
Thanked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Default

With all the talk of the C7 inventory piling up, does anyone know the real inventory number on the market in-stock at the dealers? That would give a much better idea of whether poor sales and high inventory of the C7s are the reason GM is keeping a tight lip about the C8.

From what I see currently, there aren't any desperate sale discounts being offered by dealers. Most of the "Sales" I've seen during the Thanksgiving sales and holiday deals were around 12% off give or take a few. It is nothing like the up to 25% off that we saw during the same time last year from a few dealers when they were trying to get rid of their inventory.

GM also isn't offering any real incentives for Corvettes which doesn't make sense if they are desperate to get rid of them.

Last edited by GOC; 12-06-2018 at 03:33 PM.
GOC is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:22 PM
  #30  
RonnieC6Z
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Posts: 968
Thanked 166 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
When no schedule has been announced, there can be no delay. If GM had announced they'd be revealing the new Corvette at DTW or NYC in 2019, and then cancelled that plan, that would be a delay.
Here is what makes total sense to me. When it was announced that the BG plant was closed for tours beginning in June of 2018 ( or was it June of 2017?), it was also announced that the plant would reopen for tours in January of 2019. Logically, doesn't that indicate that the ME C8 would be introduced in January of 2019 at the Detroit show?
However, recently GM announced that the BG plant would not open for tours next January, and that the opening date for tours was yet to be determined. That tells me that a 2019 Detroit introduction is no longer happening, which indicates a delay in the introduction and production start up of the ME C8. There you have it!
RonnieC6Z is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:37 PM
  #31  
mschuyler
CF Senior Member
 
mschuyler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Bainbridge Island WA
Posts: 3,301
Thanked 2,003 Times in 917 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GOC View Post
GM also isn't offering any real incentives for Corvettes which doesn't make sense if they are desperate to get rid of them.
I agree. If GM was serious about reducing inventory they would have a bunch of "Red Tags" for $10,000 off in addition to dealers incentives. That's what they ave done in the past toward the end of the year.

mschuyler is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:40 PM
  #32  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 14,799
Thanked 5,862 Times in 3,427 Posts
Default

Ronnie,

There's certainly some logic there. It's quite possible a Detroit unveil was a working target within the Corvette team many months ago.
Foosh is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 03:51 PM
  #33  
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Gearhead Jim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 20,522
Thanked 580 Times in 400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov View Post
It was never planned to be announced "at the same time" as the layoffs. The plan was for the New York auto show that starts March 30th.

Also, BGA employs nearly 1000 works to build a highly profitable product with pride. If GM can't spin that positively then they deserve bad press.
"At the same time they are laying off thousands of workers and closing other factories" is actually a period of time. It won't happen overnight.
The closings and layoff were announced around the beginning of December, it will be weeks/months/years before all of that is finished.

If we start seeing interviews on the evening news with kids whose Daddy was laid off before Christmas while GM is making millions, there's no way they will be able to spin that in a positive direction.
How many reporters, especially the TV types, even understand the concept that a company must make a profit and continue to do so over time, to continue those well paying jobs?
Gearhead Jim is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 PM
  #34  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,935
Thanked 1,286 Times in 976 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Salem, while what you say is true, there's a distinction between "concept car" intros and production car intros. The latter are usually revealed along w/ production plans and dates. GM's not ready to talk about those subjects yet.
So it seems.

Originally Posted by Speednet View Post
True, introduction does not mean production, but once they officially unveil the car, the clock starts ticking until it goes into production. The worst thing they could do is introduce the car and then delay it. Talk about the worst PR ever. By delaying the introduction GM can say that's the way it was supposed to be, and avoid all the bad press.
OK, fair enough.
However and IMO, the C8 program should be further along than that.
Some of it was started before the bankruptcy...
Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z View Post
Here is what makes total sense to me. When it was announced that the BG plant was closed for tours beginning in June of 2018 ( or was it June of 2017?), it was also announced that the plant would reopen for tours in January of 2019. Logically, doesn't that indicate that the ME C8 would be introduced in January of 2019 at the Detroit show?
However, recently GM announced that the BG plant would not open for tours next January, and that the opening date for tours was yet to be determined. That tells me that a 2019 Detroit introduction is no longer happening, which indicates a delay in the introduction and production start up of the ME C8. There you have it!
Your logic is unassailable, sir.

BTW, the suspension of tours started in June 2017 and was slated for 18 months.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/b...urs-18-months/

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.
sunsalem is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 PM
  #35  
ojm
CF Senior Member
 
ojm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,302
Thanked 55 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 638HP View Post
Relax... GM is doing exactly what I would expect, creating a buzz and building up hype in the market.

Probably, but seems would slow down C7 buyers.

ojm is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:17 PM
  #36  
jimmyb
CF Senior Member
 
jimmyb's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 6,480
Thanked 844 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GOC View Post
With all the talk of the C7 inventory piling up, does anyone know the real inventory number on the market in-stock at the dealers? That would give a much better idea of whether poor sales and high inventory of the C7s are the reason GM is keeping a tight lip about the C8.

From what I see currently, there aren't any desperate sale discounts being offered by dealers. Most of the "Sales" I've seen during the Thanksgiving sales and holiday deals were around 12% off give or take a few. It is nothing like the up to 25% off that we saw during the same time last year from a few dealers when they were trying to get rid of their inventory.

GM also isn't offering any real incentives for Corvettes which doesn't make sense if they are desperate to get rid of them.
This forum says "they" are "desperate" to get rid of them...GM doesn't seem to be (desperate, that is).
It should be pointed out that the FORUM decided (assumed) that Detroit 2019 was going to be the reveal....there has not been a peep from GM.
I am not convinced that the intro is going to be at ANY car show. With something this big, why not do a stand alone event?

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-06-2018 at 08:20 PM.
jimmyb is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:21 PM
  #37  
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
elegant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,764
Thanked 1,387 Times in 682 Posts
Default

First, see have zero evidence that the ME is going to be delayed.

Second, as to a stand alone reveal option, lets says your attendance is beyond spectacular and you have 25,000 attendees. That pales in comparison to the average 1,100,000 annual New York Auto Show attendance.

The exception to that could be the Indy 500 where attendance is 250,000, the average U.S. television audience is 4,900,000 with an additional 2,000,000 estimated worldwide watchers. Have a public reveal the night before, charge attendance, have a named performer like Bruce Springsteen, and through in race tickets, and might this be the reveal choice.

With the ME the highly-probable Pace Car for the May 26th event, that could be a winning place for the reveal.

Still, I think not.

Last edited by elegant; 12-06-2018 at 09:34 PM.
elegant is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to elegant For This Useful Post:
jimmyb (12-07-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:45 PM
  #38  
JDSKY
CF Senior Member
 
JDSKY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: Western WI
Posts: 295
Thanked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Default

At the risk of my entire business I am compelled to disclose some inside information specifically addressing the current rumors and speculation surrounding the possible delays of the Corvette Manta Ray in hopes this will quell the possibility of any further significant distress and disappointment across the Corvette fan base and most importantly the membership herein.

There will be no delays of the new car and the launch will go on as planned and in the venue as has been previously selected. All testing has been completed and the car has surpassed all established benchmarks and expectations. In fact, it is so good any and all pre-announce marketing efforts have been placed on temporary hold until 45 days prior to the specified launch date. Hold onto your hats gentlemen and gentle ladies. The Eagle will be Landing soon.
JDSKY is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 PM
  #39  
JerriVette
CF Senior Member
 
JerriVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2003
Location: Bergen county NJ
Posts: 10,395
Thanked 742 Times in 544 Posts
Default

37 days until the detroit auto show.

we will find out then.
JerriVette is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 09:58 PM
  #40  
Jackie Chan
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 733
Thanked 68 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 89L98 View Post
GM is "holding" off on the ME because of all the unsold C7s on dealer lots. No mystery here. Its pretty simple. The biggest generational change is coming. Revealing too soon will be the dagger in the heart of C7 sales. The C7 will be old news over nite. The high volume dealers know this. But, of course, are not saying it.
no factory incentives on vettes is why we aren't selling them. It's also helping current owners with resale value IMO. once gm decides to move vettes all it will take is some money. Remember the frenzy of 2017 with big incentives?
Jackie Chan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: