Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What level of mechanical issues do you think the ME car will have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 02:09 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

Default What level of mechanical issues do you think the ME car will have?

GM has great engines and great engineers. But, with everything done the first time, there are bugs to work out.

They have had decades to tinker with the front engine V8 layout, but this is going to give GM some new and different problems to solve.

I believe in GM, but am somewhat worried that this first attempt at this layout will end up with some lurking mechanical gremlins popping up down the road .

Old 12-07-2018, 02:22 PM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

Overheating.Hopefully they have learned their lessons!
Old 12-07-2018, 02:27 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Orange peel, bent rims, and major software updates.

Oh, you said mechanical. OK:
Suspension, engine, and DCT - that should cover it.

Last edited by ShagVette; 12-07-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Docbrock
GM has great engines and great engineers. But, with everything done the first time, there are bugs to work out.

They have had decades to tinker with the front engine V8 layout, but this is going to give GM some new and different problems to solve.

I believe in GM, but am somewhat worried that this first attempt at this layout will end up with some lurking mechanical gremlins popping up down the road .
Nothing major. The use of modern CAD, especially in the past 5 years, is a far cry from what auto manufactures used before. GM just renewed it's contract with Siemens, whose product-design software is called NX and is just about flawless. Chrysler Group and Daimler AG announced they were switching to NX for future vehicle designs. Both had used Dassault's CATIA product-design software for more than two decades. The usual production issues will occur. DB bought Chrysler because of their use of CATIA. The C8 will set standards for the auto industry because of that and the advancement in material science.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:33 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Hopefully dropped valves are a thing of the past.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Oh, for heaven's sake. We really are scraping the bottom of the speculation barrel now.

However, Shaka speaks the truth. Modern CAD design tools have pretty much eliminated introductory surprises, which is why it is no longer true that first MY vehicles should be avoided.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-07-2018 at 02:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
Corvette ED (12-07-2018), Glenn Quagmire (12-07-2018), ShagVette (12-07-2018), tcinla (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 02:36 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Oh, for heaven's sake. We really are scraping the bottom of the speculation barrel now.
Only a few more months left of it.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:44 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Only a few more months left of it.
You can bet the usual complainers will have problems with a lot of stuff well after the first ME rolls off the line.
The following 2 users liked this post by Glenmcp:
Corvette ED (12-07-2018), Glenn Quagmire (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 03:53 PM
GOC
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 114 Posts

The DCT transmission would be the first to come to mind. I expect the LT1 engine ME to be the most reliable, but I think the excitement is with the 4.2 and 5.5 which will have their own list of kinks to work out. Turbo engines in general will have a higher chance of things going wrong as there are more related parts.

For those that already have a C7 LT1, I don't see it as a big upgrade to buy the initial ME offering other than it's a new ME car. I would wait until the new engine versions come out but wait at least 2 years into it to see how it's working out.
The following users liked this post:
bgspot (12-28-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

GM will get the vast majority of it right.

Drag racers who go for max 60' and tune out things like torque management will cause the DCT to be a high touch and expensive item to maintain.

It will be interesting to see if GM limits its use or voids warrantees for using launch control regularly. Other manufacturers do this due to the delicate nature of the clutches.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

The C8 ME is a great move for the high performance vehicle franchise.
This one really needs to be done exceptionally well. Hopefully, GM gets it right “out the gate”.
And they know the necessity for “get it right” more than we do!

Corvette engineers and faithful have “dreamed of” the ME for a very long time.
I certainly hope “dreams come true”!

Old 12-07-2018, 05:29 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
GM will get the vast majority of it right.

Drag racers who go for max 60' and tune out things like torque management will cause the DCT to be a high touch and expensive item to maintain.

It will be interesting to see if GM limits its use or voids warrantees for using launch control regularly. Other manufacturers do this due to the delicate nature of the clutches.
No problem for Golf R owners. Perhaps it's just the Tremec ones that are delicate? Any evidence for this assertion?

From Volkswagen UK Customer Services

Subject: VW-2016/05-010792

Dear Mr xxxx

I am writing following our conversation on 18 May 2016, regarding the Launch Control feature on your Golf. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

I can confirm there is no usage limit for the Launch Control Feature on your Golf. Further information regarding the correct operation and observations of this feature can be found in your vehicle’s Owner’sManual.

I hope this information proves to be of use. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Kind regards

James Taylor

Customer Relations Advisor

Volkswagen Customer Services Centre

Tel: 0800 083 3914

E-mail: customerservices@volkswagen.co.uk

Internet: www.volkswagen.co.uk
Old 12-07-2018, 05:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Shaka
Nothing major. The use of modern CAD, especially in the past 5 years, is a far cry from what auto manufactures used before. GM just renewed it's contract with Siemens, whose product-design software is called NX and is just about flawless. Chrysler Group and Daimler AG announced they were switching to NX for future vehicle designs. Both had used Dassault's CATIA product-design software for more than two decades. The usual production issues will occur. DB bought Chrysler because of their use of CATIA. The C8 will set standards for the auto industry because of that and the advancement in material science.

While it's not a 100% of all units produced problem, was the NX software used with the A8 transmission? Or was that earlier? Was it then used to solve the problem of some A8's ?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:16 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Another inane thread. Since you're so concerned, please do not buy the car...or at least wait until year five.
VETTE-NV (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 06:37 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

If tested why would there be major problems? anyway under warranty. I doubt the average Corvette driver would abuse an expensive car.
My problem can only make one purchase and the C8 is just around the corner. Will wait it out likely, unless the C7 has attractive pricing.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:43 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
No problem for Golf R owners. Perhaps it's just the Tremec ones that are delicate? Any evidence for this assertion?
A golf a really?

Isn't that just one step above a Vespa torque wise?

And yes there is evidence. Google for the manufactures that limit the number of launch controls allowed, or those who void the warrantee for using it.

Last edited by NY09C6; 12-07-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Another inane thread. Since you're so concerned, please do not buy the car...or at least wait until year five.
Thanks for your pleasant response.

Get notified of new replies

To What level of mechanical issues do you think the ME car will have?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire

ojm (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:26 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
You can bet the usual complainers will have problems with a lot of stuff well after the first ME rolls off the line.
If it was like the c7... "My car was delivered with the coolant 2mm below the 'Full' line.... Can anyone recommend a good lemon law atttorney?"
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 132 Likes on 75 Posts

Are you old enough to remember the Pontiac Fiero, Chevrolet Corvair.....rear/mid engine is not new. How about the Ford Pantera

Quick Reply: What level of mechanical issues do you think the ME car will have?