Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit NAIAS Is a NO!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 12:39 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since they announced the ZR1 in Dubai I guess New York is as good as any other location. Announce a new sports car in a city with limited parking locations for show attendees (or anybody else for that matter), super expensive hotel rooms, super expensive meals and a large local populace that shows no interest in cars of any type because they don't have a place to park a car if they bought one or even have a driver's license. Detroit is rough because of the weather. However, despite the weather most of the time it is easy to travel there by car, there is plenty of parking, there are plenty of reasonable rate hotels within a short driving distance of the show, meals are reasonable and it is just as good as the NY Show. I used to live a 3 hour drive from NY and an 8 hour drive from Detroit. I attended the Detroit show 3 times over a period of 4 years in the early 2000s. Never even thought about going to the NY Show due to the high costs and the lack of parking in the City.

Bill
Seriously??? There are over 30 million people in the metro NYC area... it is the number one market for just about every product sold in America including cars. The show is bigger then Detroit with all the same high end displays and more. The Javits Center has over 100,000 more square feet of exhibit floor then Detroit and every inch of it is used for this show. The show is packed every day!!!! Detroit attendance was 800k last year NYC 1.4 million.. More new model cars are introduced in NYC then any other show!!!! You can book a room in the city right now for 200 a night 160 across the river in NJ... Of course parking is a pain...I never drive into the city from Philly. Take NJ transit or AMTRAK trains into Penn Station and walk to the show ...better yet park in Weehawken NJ and take the ferry ride over that drops you off right at the car show!!!! You can ride right over the spot were Sully landed his jet in the middle of the Hudson!!! I stopped going to the Philly Auto show years ago. If your a car guy or girl NYC show rocks!!!!
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Guys -- you miss the entire point here.

These Auto shows are PR events, nothing more. GM will release different cars at different shows to get the biggest bang for a particular car or cars at these shows. If you show 1 new car, its a bigger bang than showing 2 or 3, etc.

So they space them out so that one new vehicle doesn't take all the oxygen in the room of the others.

GM will show the car when its best to show all of its new models. You guys are too focused on only one. GM is looking at the big picture.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The amount of C8's that will sell the first model year has ZERO do with where the car is introduced. Almost everyone who purchases a new 2020 C8 will not attend the show where it is introduced. Whether it is Detroit, NYC, Chicago, Paris, or just a worldwide intro on the web, those who want a C8 will buy one. They will see the car on the web, in magazines, and at dealers....not at an auto show. Yes, an introduction at a large show will create a bit more publicity, but not sales. Why do you think that more and more manufactures are ditching auto shows.I went to the L.A. show this past weekend, and absent were Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren, Rolls, and Bentley. Why? Because they don't need to be there in order to sell cars. Especially in L.A.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:49 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I was at the L.A. auto show yesterday and, while visiting the Chevy display spoke to 2 men with GM. I did my best to try to get any small piece of info out of them regarding the C8, but they were completely tight lipped. However, one of them did tell me that the C8 definitely would not be introduced in Detroit next month. And that totally makes sense since the factory was originally scheduled to reopen for tours next month but not too long ago it was announced that the factory would continue to be closed for tours until a date to be announced sometime in 2019. Logically, tours cannot begin again until after the C8 is announced and shown to the world. It could be April in NYC, next November in L.A., or possibly not at an auto show, but as a worldwide introduction, complete with press, on the internet. We will see.
Didn't Rick Conti already confirm that?
Old 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

[QUOTE=GMAN78OR;1598475171]I still believe that it is possible that it could show up in Detroit. The guys at the LA show either were told not to tell, or they have been reading this forum for some time and are as clueless as the rest of us. There is nothing in the rulebook saying that they need to give hints ahead of the official reveal. They could be waiting till the last second to pop it to the press. If it is something small that can be fixed that is delaying the car, like say a wiring harness needing a revamp, then show the car at the show and fix it later and say "Coming late 2019".

I agree....it could still show up at the Detroit auto show for it's reveal! Why is mostly everyone saying it is too late for Detroit? Saying now that the C8 will or not be in Detroit is acknowledging that the C8 exists! GM has not made the acknowledgement yet. Whether Detroit or not, I feel after the holidays sometime in January, GM will reveal this car! I would lay odds that at least 2 show car C8's are sitting just blocks away from the Cobo center right now! April at the New York car show is much too long from now to reveal this car!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 12-10-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:16 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Thanks RonnieCZ. Consistent with what I have heard about the reveal. However, your comment about the factory tours being open next month is old and no longer accurate information. I talked to a National Corvette Museum manager just two days ago; as you know they run the tours now, and BGA tours are on hold past the BASH (very end of April).

As to a GM person sharing that at the LA show, that is was not Detroit for the reveal, given how tight lipped they are, I am wondering if GM top brass was told “damp down the rumors of a NAIAS ME reveal, by authorizing our staff working the LA show to slowly let that info to come out there.
You just saved me a trip to the Bash this year. Not going if there's not C8 to see and plant tours to take.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:18 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by GMAN78OR
I still believe that it is possible that it could show up in Detroit. The guys at the LA show either were told not to tell, or they have been reading this forum for some time and are as clueless as the rest of us. There is nothing in the rulebook saying that they need to give hints ahead of the official reveal. They could be waiting till the last second to pop it to the press. If it is something small that can be fixed that is delaying the car, like say a wiring harness needing a revamp, then show the car at the show and fix it later and say "Coming late 2019".

However, they could be having an issue with a supplier. Personal opinion is the seats are behind because when you look at the seats at the ring, they are Sparco racing seats, not oem or even C7 seats. So either they wanted the best seats they could at the ring to push the car to the max(possible), or there is an issue with the seats and they needed a substitute. Or maybe this will be a factory option.
All their ring runs are done with aftermarket racing seats and harnesses. C5 and C6s were the same way. The OEM seats are great, but you can't wheel a car at the levels they're shooting for in one.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM
hunter105
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 63 Posts

I have heard NYC in April. I have also been saying this for a while now. The 1st generation C1 was introduced in NYC and now GM will be doing this with the C8 because for its time the 1st corvette was a great innovation back then. The corvette was originally designed as a show car for the 1953 Motorama display at the New York Auto Show. Now 67 years later GM will again do what it did in 1953 they will unveil the newest tech GM has set for the new corvette. And thats the fact JACK!.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:12 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
Didn't Rick Conti already confirm that?
Not sure, stopped watching his videos, as he takes 10 minutes of nothing to say one thing.
Stew24 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
If in New York, I will be there (but not driving). I already have fully cancellable without penalty hotel rooms.
Where do you recommend staying? Thinking of heading up to check it out as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:34 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
Don't believe anyone or anything on this car until GM finally acknowledges/reveals something officially! If these guys were so "tight lipped" his answer should have been "What C8?"

"I was at the L.A. auto show yesterday and, while visiting the Chevy display spoke to 2 men with GM. I did my best to try to get any small piece of info out of them regarding the C8, but they were completely tight lipped. However, one of them did tell me that the C8 definitely would not be introduced in Detroit next month."

You're right ... if they were tight-lipped about any C8 details then they would have been tight-lipped about any intro for it as well. Just sayin'
Old 12-10-2018, 05:46 PM
fla-buckeye
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

A few months back, Bill Warner announced that they would have the new C8 on display at the Amelia Island Concourse, held the first weekend in March. This would have been after the reveal. Thanksgiving weekend Mr. Warner said that they would not get the new Corvette for display, Bill asked if by chance they could get a chassis/engine display, that was a big no! That being said, the reveal will no doubt be held after March.........................so maybe NYC.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

Im confused as to why it still wouldn’t be possible to reveal in Detroit? Lack of time at this point for PR? Not trying to argue I just keep hearing people say that it’s too late but I can’t seem to find where anyone posts a good reason as to WHY it’s late for Detroit?

-Tyler

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 12-10-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
Im confused as to why it still wouldn’t be possible to reveal in Detroit? Lack of time at this point for PR? Not trying to argue I just keep hearing people say that it’s too late but I can’t seem to find where anyone posts a good reason as to WHY it’s late for Detroit?

-Tyler
It is still possible......
Old 12-10-2018, 06:59 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,834 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter105
I have heard NYC in April. I have also been saying this for a while now. The 1st generation C1 was introduced in NYC and now GM will be doing this with the C8 because for its time the 1st corvette was a great innovation back then. The corvette was originally designed as a show car for the 1953 Motorama display at the New York Auto Show. Now 67 years later GM will again do what it did in 1953 they will unveil the newest tech GM has set for the new corvette. And thats the fact JACK!.
Well, if you're saying it's fact I guess we have the final word on the subject. No need for any further threads or posts.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

pure speculation is also 100% possible.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:53 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

GM has set when and where to show this car long ago. They have a marketing strategy to get the biggest bang with this car. As someone else said earlier about the press coverage the new C8 will be on every TV morning shows, Fox & Friends, GMA, The Today Show, CBS This Morning, CNN, plus all the evening news casts, all of the New York papers, and other major US papers. That all equals free advertising for Corvette & GM. The C8 Corvette will be the top car of the NY Show.
Foosh (12-11-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Detroit NAIAS Is a NO!

Old 12-10-2018, 10:15 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...erm=2018-12-11
Old 12-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
Seriously??? There are over 30 million people in the metro NYC area... it is the number one market for just about every product sold in America including cars. The show is bigger then Detroit with all the same high end displays and more. The Javits Center has over 100,000 more square feet of exhibit floor then Detroit and every inch of it is used for this show. The show is packed every day!!!! Detroit attendance was 800k last year NYC 1.4 million.. More new model cars are introduced in NYC then any other show!!!! You can book a room in the city right now for 200 a night 160 across the river in NJ... Of course parking is a pain...I never drive into the city from Philly. Take NJ transit or AMTRAK trains into Penn Station and walk to the show ...better yet park in Weehawken NJ and take the ferry ride over that drops you off right at the car show!!!! You can ride right over the spot were Sully landed his jet in the middle of the Hudson!!! I stopped going to the Philly Auto show years ago. If your a car guy or girl NYC show rocks!!!!
That sounds too expensive and too much work. I think people had an easier time crossing the prairie in covered wagons than getting to the NY Car Show.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
GM has set when and where to show this car long ago. They have a marketing strategy to get the biggest bang with this car. As someone else said earlier about the press coverage the new C8 will be on every TV morning shows, Fox & Friends, GMA, The Today Show, CBS This Morning, CNN, plus all the evening news casts, all of the New York papers, and other major US papers. That all equals free advertising for Corvette & GM. The C8 Corvette will be the top car of the NY Show.
I never understood the strategy of putting car debuts on morning shows for people who don't work.

Quick Reply: Detroit NAIAS Is a NO!