Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do if you were GM's CEO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:12 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by WBT
Announce today that the C8 is going to be introduced at the 2019 Detroit Auto Show.
I agree GM should introduce the C8 Corvette at the NAIAS to change the news cycle to something positive - new model built in USA saving nearly 1,000 jobs.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
1) No one was talking about high end Lexus - so not sure why you are mentioning that. However, the LS500 is a LUXURY car - its not trying to be fast...your not comparing apples to apples.
2) You think a $90k LUXURY car should have side skirts? Are you joking? Show me a car design that doesn't have rock chips...not sure of your point here. I think car designers have more important focuses than rock chips...but I may be wrong.
3) Again your looking for sports car performance in a car designed and sold as a luxury car... That's like complaining your brand new Cadillac isn't as fast as my new Corvette...silly & pointless comparison.
Same point with a Lexus IS250 which I just sold. Slow *** floppy/ high body roll car for the money compared to BMW coupe for the same price.

I completely agree LS500 not a sports car which is why I called it a luxury coupe. I would buy it as a more reliable better gas mileage alternative to a Bentley Cont GT SS. However some luxury coupes are fast, sorry. If you want a slow one, there are obviously alternatives, like the LS500.

The 2010 white B GT SS with 621hp over two years and 20,000 miles did not get rock chips the way the LS500 I’ve test driven did after a 13,000 mile history. It’s less abt design and more abt how idiots care for it. My point there (and I take it you only post emotionally Guiliani) more to AtariP is that for x cost and y business segment, you always sacrifice something with a car.

Yes I would love the AMG GT I will hopefully have soon to have side skirts and any other luxury coupe I buy, depending on the design. The SuperSports looks amazing without any, but then if you’re getting 10 mpg, you can afford to redo the paint!

the REAL point of OPs post is: do we keyboard warriors have any suggestions for GM that they might be missing? The real answer is no. Business decisions in a large cap car company are more complex than me wanting the Solstice back (see my tongue in cheek answers), someone wanting the MT in the ME Vette, or making a beautiful, affordable, kick *** EV that everyone will want that has profitable margins.

Just sayin. sorry, MarionBarry, no one talks about your brand new Caddy compared to anything, that was the point of shutting that model down...

Last edited by Parcival; 12-13-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:24 PM
4VFTW
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

One thing GM (and Ford) needs to start doing is to start paying attention to what Lexus does (and has been doing). Look at the Lexus ES 350 (their 4-door sedan). You see gorgeous leather, (real) wood everywhere, amazing stereo sound quality, great gas mileage, super reliable, sleek and sexy exteriors and basically ZERO maintenance costs. Also, their dealerships treat me like a king. No BS about a loaner car, no BS about warranty, no BS about repairs getting done correctly...no headaches EVER.

Now you look at a Chevy Impala and you get the typical plastic interior, no wood, leather "inserts", cheap stereos, typical gas mileage, not even close as reliable, and you get a ton of BS from GM dealerships...

If GM (and Ford) want to stay in the game - they better start building cars like Lexus. Sad that a loaded Impala and the ES 350 are closely priced, yet the quality is night and day...

Which interior do you think offers better quality? Which car would you spend $35k on? This is what I would focus on, if I were the CEO.

Impala

ES 350
That God awful "PRND321" that Ford and GM stencil next to the shifter can make a Bugatti interior look cheap. When I was shopping SUV's for the Mrs. that garbage was insult to injury in the Explorers interior. The front buckets in the Explorer were uncomfortable in a 10 minute test drive....WTF. Wound up in a Hyundai Sante Fe because it drove as nice as the Ford , but the interior was 10yrs newer looking, better laid out and it was $4k cheaper.

Last edited by 4VFTW; 12-13-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:31 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,954 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by 4VFTW
That God awful "PRND321" that Ford and GM stencil next to the shifter can make a Bugatti interior look cheap. When I was shopping SUV's for the Mrs. that garbage was insult to injury in the Explorers interior. The front buckets in the Explorer were uncomfortable in a 10 minute test drive....WTF. Wound up in a Hyundai Sante Fe because it drove as nice as the Ford , but the interior was 10yrs newer looking, better laid out and it was $4k cheaper.
I agree - I think the Hyundai Genesis is one of the nicest looking, best bang for your buck cars around and its interior is gorgeous... Compare it to a Chevy Impala and you will vomit.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

Sign a GURANTEED contract for 5-7 million a year ….quit after 2 years.then go on vacation
Old 12-13-2018, 02:10 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Collect my multimillion dollar bonus and retire.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:46 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

One thing I did notice when I go to my local Lexus dealer here in central Illinois is how small their service bay area is. I've never seen small service areas at domestic dealers. I am by no means bashing anyone who owns a GM car. I personally got tired of the ridiculous failures on various ones I've owned. I'm sure my dad is rolling in his grave knowing I quit GM for Lexus since he worked for them for 25yrs.
Since owning Lexus I've not had to deal with any failures,check engine lights or recalls. The downside is Lexus,Toyota... just doesn't have performance like the big 3.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

My wife has a 10 year old Lexus RX. The only maintenance performed are oil and filter changes, wiper blades and a set of front brake pads. My next car may be an LC 500.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:50 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

I agree - I think the Hyundai Genesis is one of the nicest looking, best bang for your buck cars around and its interior is gorgeous... Compare it to a Chevy Impala and you will vomit.
Just curious, do you think Genesis has a good track record reliability wise vs. Lexus? Don't know too much about them. Have a friend who's possibly interested in a new G90.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:55 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
My wife has a 10 year old Lexus RX. The only maintenance performed are oil and filter changes, wiper blades and a set of front brake pads. My next car may be an LC 500.
My wife has a 14 RX and I have a 18 GS F-Sport. No issues with either. As much as I like her RX it's just incredibly boring to drive. It's just your typical soccer mom SUV but it's never in the shop for repairs which is tops for me.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:57 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Genesis is Hyundai's premium car. Track record is short but their warranty is longest in the industry like Kia and Hyundai.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:59 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by charley95
My wife has a 14 RX and I have a 18 GS F-Sport. No issues with either. As much as I like her RX it's just incredibly boring to drive. It's just your typical soccer mom SUV but it's never in the shop for repairs which is tops for me.
After my service experience with my C7, I'm ready for a 'boring" car, if it's dependable and trouble free. 40+ days out of service in 3 years is pathetic.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 12-13-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:11 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

After my service experience with my C7, I'm ready for a 'boring" car, if it's dependable and trouble free. 40+ days out of service in 3 years is pathetic.
40 plus days is ridiculous. I could see why your ready for a change which is why I changed.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Just curious, do you think Genesis has a good track record reliability wise vs. Lexus? Don't know too much about them. Have a friend who's possibly interested in a new G90.
Would I buy a Genesis OVER a Lexus - no but I am in no way putting down Genesis - Im just comparing the two. I've owned (4) Lexus, and each one of them were literally a dream to own / drive. Now, would I buy a Genesis over a GM car - absolutely. My best friend drives one (does 40k miles a year - alot of driving) and he hasn't had an ounce of trouble, and he is close to 200k miles...just oil, wipers, tires and brakes. As stated above, they offer some of the longest warranties in the business.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I don't know if it's Mary BarRa specifically or if it's the 'culture' which has been in place for decades. Granted, a company can do anything it want's if it has the will but GM's board and the culture that filters down sets the pace and standards. GM seems to be 'risk averse' and there can be several reasons for that: Share price, Fear of losing one's job by rocking the boat, etc...
Another factor, when it comes to GM **could** be union. How much influence do they have into business decisions?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

One thing I did notice when I go to my local Lexus dealer here in central Illinois is how small their service bay area is. I've never seen small service areas at domestic dealers. I am by no means bashing anyone who owns a GM car. I personally got tired of the ridiculous failures on various ones I've owned. I'm sure my dad is rolling in his grave knowing I quit GM for Lexus since he worked for them for 25yrs.
Since owning Lexus I've not had to deal with any failures,check engine lights or recalls. The downside is Lexus,Toyota... just doesn't have performance like the big 3.
The problem is the surveys based on Customer Reports of car problems don't support the conjecture. Here is the 2018 JD Power Dependability Study showing the failure results for 3 year old cars. This isn't the total number of failures it is the number of failures in the third year of ownership. Notice Chevy isn't that much different than Lexus which is at the top of the list. Basically, it says on average just about every 2015 Lexus had one reported failure. Chevy owners on the other hand had two reported failures. The reason I say one and two is because you can't have a partial failure. You can also see that Chevy came in slightly above Toyota but is a difference that isn't really a difference. These comparisons have been showing this for at least 15 years. The so called Asian quality advantage just isn't there. It is a myth. Across every brand the average number of failures per car runs between 1 and 3 with Land Rover and Chrysler being the only ones that get into the 3 range.

The study, now in its 29th year, measures the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the past 12 months by original owners of 2015 model-year vehicles. A lower score reflects higher quality, and the study covers 177 specific problems grouped into eight major vehicle categories. The overall industry average improves by 14 PP100 to 142 PP100 from 156 PP100 in 2017.

“For the most part, automotive manufacturers continue to meet consumers’ vehicle dependability expectations,” said Dave Sargent, Vice President, Global Automotive at J.D. Power. “A 9% improvement is extremely impressive, and vehicle dependability is, without question, at its best level ever. For people looking for a new or used model, now is a good time to find that special vehicle.”

Following are some of the study’s key findings:
  • In-vehicle technology continues to be most problematic: Audio/Communications/ Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN) remains a troublesome category for vehicle owners, receiving the highest frequency of complaints. The two most common problems relate to built-in voice recognition (9.3 PP100) and built-in Bluetooth connectivity (7.7 PP100).
  • Mass Market brands continue to close the gap with Luxury brands: The Mass Market average (143 PP100) is now just 7 PP100 behind the Luxury average (136 PP100). This is a result of many high-volume vehicles rewarding their owners with excellent long-term dependability.
The 2018 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 36,896 original owners of 2015 model-year vehicles after three years of ownership. The study was fielded in October-December 2017.

Bill
Old 12-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Genesis is Hyundai's premium car. Track record is short but their warranty is longest in the industry like Kia and Hyundai.
Saying the Genesis is a premium car though is like calling a Big Mac a gourmet burger.

Get notified of new replies

To What would you do if you were GM's CEO?

Old 12-13-2018, 05:07 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
Saying the Genesis is a premium car though is like calling a Big Mac a gourmet burger.
Actually he said: "Genesis is Hyundai's premium car" - which is 100% accurate. But to go step further, I would say its a very high quality car, especially the $70k G90 model...
Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts
Default Grab the engineering Development tiller

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
I don't know why Mary Bara is running GM. Most of GM's cars are uninspired. Dealers suck. Advertising sucks. So...given all that, what would you do if today you were announced as GM's new CEO?

1. Every model would have a hatchback as a 2nd or 3rd option.
2. come out with a small cheap 2 door sports car.
3. Mini pickup WAAAY under $30k
4. A proper Cadillac WITHOUT the 'art and design' ugliness.
5. Two Tier the Vette....C7 at under $50k and the C-8 as proposed.
6. Stop the stupid electronic gimcrackery....OPTION 1 NO @#$% TV Screen on the dash! WTF!
7. Many more 2 door versions....notice GM only makes two 2 door cars.
8. Admit that Hybrids and electric vehicles are not worth the hype. (bye bye Volt, see ya soon Bolt). $37000 for a car that can't drive to the next state.

They used to call GMC "general mess of crap".....Now its all of GM!

Last edited by L-46man; 12-13-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:19 PM
jag71usa
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I would scrap the current c8 design and start all over. Task the design team to come up with a design with soft lines and flowing flair/ambiance to the car.
The following users liked this post:
Atari_Prime (12-13-2018)

Quick Reply: What would you do if you were GM's CEO?