Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do if you were GM's CEO?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Red67John
I would do pretty much what Mary is doing: eliminate the vehicles that dont sell; ramp up production on those that do sell; invest in R&D, especially for alternative fuel vehicles; and, eliminate redundancy and inefficiency throughout the corporation.

I would however explore the possibilities of producing more contemt and all new models in the U.S, instead of Mexico. Unfortunately most Americans today do not seem to care about where their goods are manuafactired, as long as they have their job and the money to spend. It’s a mixed bag that most of the vehicles with the highest domestic content are foreign brands. They at least are employing American workers.
increase levels of automation in US factories, move to 3d advanced design and manufacturing, make quality products that are competitive in a global market.

I don't think we are keeping pace on any of these IMHO. We have some very smart people, but the car business is in a big technology shift and only the agile will survive this cut

gm is a big boat and has alot of inertia to make course corrections which unfortunately with long product lead cycles, the more agile companies steal market share

if GM could build an NSX type car with some porshe P1 quality sprinkled in and get it to market for 100k, the world would fall at their feet with such an achievement

and they have all the parts and smarts in the bin but no vision to execute and build world class cars at price points no one else can touch

that's where GM has a largely unexploited "skunk works" that has been gutted so no new SR71 type advancements soon just when they are needed

go look at guys like Kevin Czinger with the Blade making an ultralight and strong chassis with carbon tube (cheap) and printed alum knuckles. That's disruptive and what GM needs

release the engineers to advance the state of the art, deliver it at a working mans price, and kick global butt on quality end engineering technical elegance

if not, stay an also ran, wither and die. Your competitors are already headed here to produce tomorrows cars today.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:13 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ He makes some good points.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Actually he said: "Genesis is Hyundai's premium car" - which is 100% accurate. But to go step further, I would say its a very high quality car, especially the $70k G90 model...
I saw this car last year at the Washington DC auto show. I agree. This car is very impressive. It had the best paint of any car I saw at the show. No orange peel. Paint was better than Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lexus...everything. #1!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:34 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

If I were Mary, I would find a Harley Earl! Beauty still sells cars!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Reinforce by redesigning the wheels they are putting on Z06 & GS models. Other issues can wait.

Quick Reply: What would you do if you were GM's CEO?