Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:36 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If the C8 has non-defeatable stop start like the rest of the GM lineup, then i guess the C7 will be my last Corvette.
Same here...I would never buy ANY vehicle that has the non-defeatable variety.
Hell, even the defeatable stop/start is a PITA.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
I think that eith the C8, we will see our first $200K Corvette. If the C8 ZR1 has a TT V8, DCT, and hybrid system I definitely see it costing around $170K. The C7 ZR1 already starts at $120K, and the 3ZR ZTK pushes $150K. So, it would make sense that a top model C8 ZR1 fully loaded could hit $200K. And it would be a hell of a a bargain, as usual.
Zerv02-bandwagoner. Can you not read your own "$200,000.00" posts!?
Old 12-16-2018, 03:05 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
You don't need a working electrical system to show a mock up at a car show.
Yea kind of like lucas equipped cars.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
A Note: Both of my Mercs have this start stop system. And after a year, both systems quit working without me doing anything at all. I think there is a special/second battery that has "lost its charge".
Old 12-16-2018, 05:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Aircraft use 28v, not 24v. Anything aviation is expensive due to requirements for air worthiness.

If you lose an alternator on a car, you can pull over miles down the road before your battery drains. Problems are a lot worse 13k feet in rhe air.
https://www.experimentalaircraft.info/articles/aircraft-electrical-systems-8.php

Last edited by SouthernSon; 12-16-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:07 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie

are you serious? Read what you said. Almost ALL C7 owners are old Gucci bag wearing women and bald ball cap wearing guys. Ive been a Corvette owner of some type for 20 years and I can tell you they are one of the tackiest owners on the planet. GM already markets Corvette garbage bags and caps online and in dealerships.
Wow...just, WOW.

So other than EXAGERATION and GENERALIZTATION, what are your thoughts about the supposed electrical issues of the C8?

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-16-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:14 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Not sure why you feel the need to keep posting your opinion on this multiple times.

Also, you're posting this in a delayed electrical issue thread, not the price thread where it belongs. You just wrote in another thread trying to correct someone else "Really wish people would pay attention to the forum before trying to contribute. Between that, and people posting in the wrong sections despite them being clearly labelled, it can get frustrating."
We're got 5 guys here that KNOW....the WHOLE enchilada that is the C8.
And all of them post all of the time so as to not lose ground to the other 4.
To your point, it is OK for one of the self appointed 5 to HIJACK a thread (as they do continually), but for the rest of us, we probably need to keep our mouths shut and just bask in the glory of the Fab Five's REALLY GOOD GUESSES.
The following 2 users liked this post by jimmyb:
sunsalem (12-16-2018), vndkshn (12-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Aircraft use 28v, not 24v. Anything aviation is expensive due to requirements for air worthiness.

If you lose an alternator on a car, you can pull over miles down the road before your battery drains. Problems are a lot worse 13k feet in rhe air.
Not really, you simply run on the magnetos (no battery required) and turn off all electrical. Even with retractable gear you simply pull the fuse, and begin cranking.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

My 2018 VW Golf R has stop/start (and a DCT). Before I can completely remove my foot from the brake pedal, the car starts. If i reduce foot pressure on the brake pedal, the car starts even though my foot is still on the pedal. I can also turn it off manually. And, if i put the car in "race" mode, start/stop is disabled. So my guess is that it won't be something we despise on the C8.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:26 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What good is a bogus Purchase Order? Purchase Orders are in fact legal documents. They're like checks. You can't just scrap a purchase Order without consequences. Doesn't sound right.
Yes, it is a legal document, yes, they get modified, amended, or cancelled all the time. Like all other good legal documents, they will specify what the penalty for non performance is and any alterations get sent back to legal, purchasing and marketing to deal with. Long and short of it, though, is when GM or Ford or any other OEM goes to a supplier and demands a change, the supplier doesn't have a whole lot of practical options if they wish to remain in the OEMs good graces.

Originally Posted by RACE U
Just because they are announcing this problem now, does not mean they just found it. This maybe an issue they have been working on for a while but purposely waited to announce until they had a more firm date as to when it would be resolved.
+1. The extent of an issue or the complexity of a fix isn't always evident at first
Old 12-16-2018, 07:59 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
GM hasn't announced this electrical issue or anything at all related to the C8. It's based off an insider report.
Whatever. you apparently didnt get my point, which yes, is potentially hypothetical.....but then again, most everyone posting all of these threads are speaking as if everything they write is fact......probably less than 10% written by others on the C8 topic have any truth.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Zora.Info
I think car manufacturers have auto start stop the wrong way. Instead of pressing a button to turn the system off every time you turn on your car, you should press a button to turn the system ON when you turn on your car. If you know you're going to be doing a lot of city driving, or just plain stop and go, then you can press the button when the need arises. I know a lot of the auto start stop delete kits have it working this way so if you want to turn the system on, you press the button that used to turn the system off.
If manufacturers could do it the way you suggest they would. In order for a fuel saving measure to qualify under CAFE requirements, it must be default ON every time the car is started. The average clueless driver would never turn it ON if default was OFF, thus it would be completely ineffective as a fuel saver.

I suspect it was an oversight in the regulations to even allow the OFF button. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that oversight and been corrected, and since GM is late to stop/start implementation they may have no choice with regard to eliminating the OFF button. The early adopters of start/stop got away with providing a button.

To those who say they will never buy a car with start/stop, you may well be actually saying you'll never purchase another new, gasoline-powered vehicle.

Originally Posted by themonk
You don't need a working electrical system to show a mock up at a car show.
That would accomplish next to nothing at best, and would be a big mistake at worst. It would only heighten hysteria about when it would be available and how much. Many manufacturers have introduced concept cars, hinted that development would be underway soon, only to end up with egg on their faces several years later, with no car in production. Think NSX and Supra.

I think GM is handling this the best way, which is to promise nothing, show nothing, and talk about nothing until production plans, pricing, and availability are all decided and ready to be announced.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-17-2018 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 AM
rulesoflogic
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As almost everyone reading this knows, the conversion from 6-volt to 12-volt happened, for the most part, in the 1950s. The C8 delay is yet another example of why an electrical infrastructure upgrade is way overdue for all cars.

https://disaffectedmusings.com/2018/12/14/c8-wait/
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
I hate to do the tin foil crap but with the current "response" from the community regarding pricing it wouldn't surprise me if they just badge/brand this thing as a Cadillac--

I guess Chevy didn't realize it's current "buyers" never "caught on" to the "fact" that you can't produce a mid engine rear mount car for 60k and now that they are all disappointing they may make some "other changes" at this point nothing would surprise me. There are only a few of us on here that realize a 720s killer for half the price would be GREAT-- but the consensus on here is "if it's not 60k I don't want it." I have a feeling they are going to go Cadillac on this one or just make one Zora model.. who knows.
I've been saying it's going to be a Caddy for over two years and have been ridiculed to the max. I still think it will be under the Caddy canopy. It doesn't make sense to have it as a Chevy considering the customer base for the Corvette...
Old 12-17-2018, 12:59 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Wass
My 2018 VW Golf R has stop/start (and a DCT). Before I can completely remove my foot from the brake pedal, the car starts. If i reduce foot pressure on the brake pedal, the car starts even though my foot is still on the pedal. I can also turn it off manually. And, if i put the car in "race" mode, start/stop is disabled. So my guess is that it won't be something we despise on the C8.
Every manufacturer has a different way of going about it.
Some do it better than others.
In my Grand Cherokee it works similar to your Golf, engine restarts when brake pressure decreases.
However, there is a slight delay when quick starts from a standstill are wanted.
Imagine how this would work in a Sportscar (no more burnouts?)...

Originally Posted by Foosh

To those who say they will never buy a car with start/stop, you may well be actually saying you'll never purchase another new, gasoline-powered vehicle.
That would be an excellent way to push me further to the EV solution (already looking hard at a Tesla ).

Think NSX and Supra.
The Japanese culture had as much to do as anything else with this.
The following users liked this post:
Wass (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If indeed the C8 has been delayed to correct problems in the design, that's better than manufacturing cars with known significant issues.
But...

Both the C3 and C4 were delayed by a full model year to correct problems, but initially they both turned out to be pretty poor cars anyway. It took a couple years of production to iron out the kinks.
Perhaps, GM is going to get it right this time. Perhaps.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

The Japanese culture had as much to do as anything else with this.
Cultural questions aside, from a marketing perspective it was not a smart move to debut a "concept car" and over-promise. GM is clearly not making that mistake in this case.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-17-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Quote added due to intervening post.

Get notified of new replies

To GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
If manufacturers could do it the way you suggest they would. In order for a fuel saving measure to qualify under CAFE requirements, it must be default ON every time the car is started. The average clueless driver would never turn it ON if default was OFF, thus it would be completely ineffective as a fuel saver.

I suspect it was an oversight in the regulations to even allow the OFF button. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if that oversight and been corrected, and since GM is late to stop/start implementation they may have no choice with regard to eliminating the OFF button. The early adopters of start/stop got away with providing a button.

That would accomplish next to nothing at best, and would be a big mistake at worst. It would only heighten hysteria about when it would be available and how much. Many manufacturers have introduced concept cars, hinted that development would be underway soon, only to end up with egg on their faces several years later, with no car in production. Think NSX and Supra.

I think GM is handling this the best way, which is to promise nothing, show nothing, and talk about nothing until production plans, pricing, and availability are all decided and ready to be announced.
I am looking at the new 2019 Audi A7 as a daily driver, It has the 48 volt mild hybrid driveline with auto start/stop..

The 2018 model has a automatic start/stop system that does have a button to disengage the auto start/stop function. In addition, the 2018 Audi A7 will restart in the same mode as when the car has been shut off.

So if you have the auto start/stop turned off and you go to a restaurant for lunch and shut the car off; When you return and restart the car, the auto start/stop function will still be off(since that was the selection that the system was when the car was shut off). Same goes for the car if the auto stop/start system was on when the car was shut off. When the car is restarted, it will be with the auto start/stop mode on.

I'm guessing that that same feature will be on the 2019 A7 as I have not been able to find any thing to say it has been discontinued for 2019.

Do you have a .gov link that says that Audi can't do that anymore?

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-17-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:45 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I am looking at the new 2019 Audi A7 as a daily driver, It has the 48 volt mild hybrid driveline with auto start/stop..

The 2018 model has a automatic start/stop system that does have a button to disengage the auto start/stop function. In addition, the 2018 Audi A7 will restart in the same mode as when the car has been shut off.

So if you have the auto start/stop turned off and you go to a restaurant for lunch and shut the car off; When you return and restart the car, the auto start/stop function will still be off(since that was the selection that the system was when the car was shut off). Same goes for the car if the auto stop/start system was on when the car was shut off. When the car is restarted, it will be with the auto start/stop mode on.

I'm guessing that that same feature will be on the 2019 A7 as I have not been able to find any thing to say it has been discontinued for 2019.

Joe

​​​​​​The 19 A7 is hot looking. Good choice for your DD and I absolutely love the Audi interior best in the business short of some true exotics.

Audi really did a great job with the whole design and the headlamps and taillamps are some of the coolest I have seen.

Good luck with the new car I am sure you will love it!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoesC5

No, as I suggested, I said I wouldn't be surprised if that happened. Given your report, it obviously hasn't been mandated yet.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-17-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Quick Reply: GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue