Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Old 12-20-2018, 11:10 AM
ArmchairArchitect
CF Senior Member

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Liked 348 Times in 212 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII View Post
Probably right. GM is killing the little guy's car, the Cruze, and firing all the workers while it expands the plant building the rich man's car, the Corvette, and brings out an expensive new model that guzzles gas.
Definitely not politically correct. So delay it until the political heat cools down and spend more time getting everything right.

Meanwhile, refresh the C7 and add the Blackwing engine/10 speed AT drivetrain while making more options standard equipment. Now everyone is happy.
The Corvette is not a new model. And count on the C8 being even more fuel efficient than the C7.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Liked 6,935 Times in 3,967 Posts

Wow, he's back with the same delusional, blather. Ignore, ignore, ignore.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:23 AM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 2,751 Times in 2,014 Posts

Probably right. GM is killing the little guy's car, the Cruze, and firing all the workers while it expands the plant building the rich man's car, the Corvette, and brings out an expensive new model that guzzles gas.
Definitely not politically correct. So delay it until the political heat cools down and spend more time getting everything right.

Meanwhile, refresh the C7 and add the Blackwing engine/10 speed AT drivetrain while making more options standard equipment. Now everyone is happy.
Hmm, agree it's not politically correct especially when you are making the macho Truck folks who buy 550,000 Silverados accept a 2.7 Liter L4 (albeit an efficient, 4 valve/cylinder, turbo that produces 320 hp!) BUT THE HEAT WILL NOT COOL DOWN!

You're dream of a semi-supercar will NOT be the first C8 introduced, if it ever comes! Your comment about the GM slush box 10 AT is something I would NEVER buy! I'll accept a more efficient DCT but not a "slush box" that needs a cooling system similar to the engine adding to ineffciency! Never had one in a DD in 60 years and won't start.

You can bet the C8 will have Stop/Start and perhaps some Braking Energy Recover System, even if as simple as our BMW SUV, which ONLY charges it's larger AGM battery when coasting or braking. It includes a meter showing when it works. Perhaps we'll get even more energy saving features. We'll see.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-20-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:33 AM
PCMIII
CF Senior Member

Liked 153 Times in 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Wow, he's back with the same delusional, blather. Ignore, ignore, ignore.
Why don't you give us some more inside information from your secret source? Tell us exactly what is going on at Corvette HQ. Yeah right.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM
PCMIII
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect View Post
The Corvette is not a new model. And count on the C8 being even more fuel efficient than the C7.
Will the C8 be more fuel efficient than the Cruze? GM is killing a common man's car and firing all the builders while it invests hundreds of millions in a rich man's car. You don't see a political problem there?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Sub Driver
CF Senior Member

Liked 400 Times in 225 Posts

Why don't you give us some more inside information from your secret source? Tell us exactly what is going on at Corvette HQ. Yeah right.
Could you do the same? Didn't think so.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:39 AM
PCMIII
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JerryU View Post

You're dream of a semi-supercar will NOT be the first C8 introduced, if it ever comes!
So Jerry, why did you fail third grade English?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:40 AM
PCMIII
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sub Driver View Post
Could you do the same? Didn't think so.
No, because I never claimed to have inside information like many phonies here.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,372 Times in 995 Posts

Hmm, agree it's not politically correct especially when you are making the macho Truck folks who buy 550,000 Silverados accept a 2.7 Liter L4 (albeit an efficient, 4 valve/cylinder, turbo that produces 320 hp!) BUT THE HEAT WILL NOT COOL DOWN!

You're dream of a semi-supercar will NOT be the first C8 introduced, if it ever comes! Your comment about the GM slush box 10 AT is something I would NEVER buy! I'll accept a more efficient DCT but not a "slush box" that needs a cooling system similar to the engine adding to ineffciency! Never had one in a DD in 60 years and won't start.

You can bet the C8 will have Stop/Start and perhaps some Braking Energy Recover System, even if as simple as our BMW SUV, which ONLY charges it's larger AGM battery when coasting or braking. It includes a meter showing when it works. Perhaps we'll get even more energy saving features. We'll see.
Folks that buy 550,000 Silvers DO NOT have to accept a 2.7L four banger. It is the standard engine on the LT and the RST models, BUT one can choose other optional engines in those models.

The 4.3L 6 is standard on the Work Truck and Custom Trail Boss.

Two versions of the 5.3L 8 are standard on the LT Trail Boss LTZ and the High Country. and optional on the LT and the RST, and optional on the WT, Custom and Custom Trail Boss.

The 6.2L 8 is optional on the LTZ and the High Country.

Then there is the 3.0L diesel that is optional on the LT, RST, LTZ and High Country.

6, read that 6, engines, are either standard or optional on the 2019 Silverado, so don't say 550,000 people are stuck with the 2.7L 4 banger if they want to purchase a 2019 Silverado.

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-20-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep, I understand, just like folks won’t have to buy the base C8 engine. Easily fixed by GM in upcoming years with price to meet their Corporate mpg goal!

Now if the person who speculated there will be a C8 called the “Butterfy Ray,” that will have a 4 cylinder (as there is a small Ray by that name) as l speculated “tongue-in-check” it fits with my “the C8 will have 160 hp F1 KERS type system. If the Silverado L4 engine with 320 hp with the 160 hp electric motor/generator that will be a total of 480 hp, 20 more than the LT1!

As I have also speculated. that system could extend Stop/Start and only have the gas engine start when you are near cruising speed in “normal driving.” When driving in anger you get all 480 horses. The KERS gets it’s power by storing some of the now wasted braking energy. Perhaps not in the first C8 but expect in the future!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-21-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:47 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

So Jerry, why did you fail third grade English?
It's typing I never learned as I was taking all those engineering courses! Not as bad when on one of my two computers or my iPad. BUT can't see how anyone can use a cell phone!
Old 12-20-2018, 02:48 PM
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,372 Times in 995 Posts

^^^^^^^

I suspect that the C8 base will have a 475-490 HP LT2 6.2L with a Mlld-hybrid 48 Volt system(belt driven alternator that also serves as the starter) with a ~10 KW Lithium ion battery, start/stop and regenerative braking, like is found in the Audi A7,
The following users liked this post: JoesC5
JerryU (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 03:04 PM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,377 Times in 1,042 Posts

^^^
Yep, I understand, just like folks won’t have to buy the base C8 engine. Easily fixed by GM in upcoming years with price to meet their Corporate mpg goal!

Now if the person who speculated their will be a C8 called the “Butterfy Ray,” that will have a 4 cylinder (as their is a small Ray by that name) as l speculated “tongue-in-check” it fits with my “the C8 will have 160 hp F1 KERS type system. If the Silverado L4 engine with 320 hp with the 160 hp electric motor/generator that will be a total of 480 hp, 20 more than the LT1!

As I have also speculated. that system could extend Stop/Start and only have the gas engine start when you are near cruising speed in “normal driving.” When driving in anger you get all 480 horses. The KERS gets it’s power by storing some of the now wasted braking energy. Pehaps not in the first C8 but expect in the future!
It's funny...after a lifetime of high HP cars/trucks/SUVs, I've come to the conclusion anything over 400hp is kinda useless on the street.

The following users liked this post: sunsalem
Foosh (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
The need is partly marketing but I'd have to say the ~525 hp I have in my ~3000 lb ProSreet Rod is fun! However with only positraction, no nannies and even with 53% of the weight on the rear, 16.5 inch section width sticky Micky Thompson's, with a 4 bar link suspension and adjustable coilovers it is a bit scary on a 0 to 60 run IF one tire loses traction. It makes a very quick right turn in the direction of the spinning tire. You get about 1/2 second to lift or you're in a ditch!

The C7, even the Grand Sport is traction limited off the line is not exciting as it stays straight and the "nannies" keep you out of trouble.

I recall driving a friends '67 435 hp 427 cid Vette and when you got on it tried to change lanes when you shifted! As long as you were ready, it was fun! That was more than the 1967 Vette OEM tires and chassis could handle!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-21-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM
jefnvk
CF Senior Member

Liked 275 Times in 168 Posts

Will the C8 be more fuel efficient than the Cruze? GM is killing a common man's car and firing all the builders while it invests hundreds of millions in a rich man's car. You don't see a political problem there?
GM is killing the "common man's" car because the common man decided he or she would rather buy CUVs and pickup trucks. If the common man demanded passenger cars, GM and Ford wouldn't dump them, but they're both reading market trends.

This isn't a Cruze v Corvette decision, its a Cruze v Trax decision.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:23 PM
jim2527
CF Senior Member

Liked 166 Times in 146 Posts

The Corvette line of cars is exceptionally profitable for GM. Build what makes money, kill what doesn't.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:24 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

Liked 797 Times in 482 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk View Post

This isn't a Cruze v Corvette decision, its a Cruze v Trax decision.

This. So much, this.

Now, getting the general non-car enthusiast public to realize that is a whole other problem.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Liked 6,935 Times in 3,967 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
It's funny...after a lifetime of high HP cars/trucks/SUVs, I've come to the conclusion anything over 400hp is kinda useless on the street.
Absolutely true, but I'd actually go lower. The only use they get on the street by those still possessing a DL is an occasional few-second blast up to maybe 90-100 on those few occasions when no one's looking.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:55 PM
sunsalem
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,377 Times in 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Absolutely true, but I'd actually go lower.
You have more courage than I do to post that on THIS forum.
The only use they get on the street by those still possessing a DL is an occasional few-second blast up to maybe 90-100 on those few occasions when no one's looking.
Truth.
Too much traffic, too many cops...takes all the fun out of owning a Corvette or any other high HP vehicle.
Unlike many around here, I didn't buy a Z06 to putter around town as just another old man poser.

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-20-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 679 Times in 467 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
Most of the time, yes.
But...

We take 2-3 month road trips to the middle of nowhere. When you're on a mountain road behind motorhomes and the short passing zones only come up unannounced every five miles, you want every pony you can get for the passing. Two people + luggage + 3-5 thousand foot altitude makes it worse.
I'm actually disappointed in the passing performance of our 2017 compared to our 2009. An extra 25 hp barely cancels the ~150 extra pounds.

The ME C8 may not have the trunk space we need, and we may end up buying another C7 as our "final and forever" Corvette. If so, I'll be looking hard at a Z06.
The following users liked this post: Gearhead Jim
JerryU (12-21-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: