GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue - Page 17 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Old 01-02-2019, 02:04 AM
bebezote
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
You can hear the Lambo driver floor it (and bog the car) when the light goes green. He was NOT trying to win in any shape form or fashion. I'm curious why he's even doing this....dragstrips are not the normal venue for Lamborghinis.
The AWD system is fine on them, but launch control starts DO wear stuff out (or break stuff possibly) and let's face it, Lamborghini repair bills aren't for the faint of heart.

we destroyed 3 egears on my ugr car till we got it right. .. but once it was right, it left very hard for a street car...
Old 01-05-2019, 03:33 AM
Michael A
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark View Post

I remember clearly that the C4 when it came out was rated by some of the car magazines as the best handling car in the world. History doesn’t reflect “pretty poor” in my take on the C4 looking back. But the electronic dash was a dumb idea which did go by the wayside later if that is what you are getting at, then I agree. As cool as I thought the C4 was, I would not buy one specifically because of that dash set up.
I don't think the electronic dash was a dumb idea at all. It was just not executed well. The refresh rate for the tach was too low, and the shape of the tach did not lend itself well to quickly getting an idea of the RPM. Otherwise, it was ahead of its time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael A For This Useful Post:
Tool Hoarder (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Toddiesel
CF Senior Member

Frankly I'm quite glad for the delay. C6 owners got just shy of a full decade (9 model years, but produced since JUNE 04, so really 9.5 years) for their model to be the "new hotness" before the C7 came out and the C6 became the "old and busted". Now us C7 owners get half that time before our cars become the old and busted. Thanks GM!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-05-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Shaka
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
I don't think the electronic dash was a dumb idea at all. It was just not executed well. The refresh rate for the tach was too low, and the shape of the tach did not lend itself well to quickly getting an idea of the RPM. Otherwise, it was ahead of its time.
Damn right. McClelland's baby. The fake automotive scribes killed it. It is so sad that we have to respond to comments like that. NASA's Glass Panels first arrived in the F111 D in 67 and later in commercial aircraft starting with the MD 80 in 79. Heck, you can get a state of the art glass panel in your C172 for a couple of grand now. I spent $30 gs on my first Beech Baron's IP on a Collins Flight Director system in the early 80s. I flew 'Fly the Bar' and Omega systems on early Lears. Totally obsolete now but the sloth like inertia of the general public demanded such things.
You use a different part of your brain to process information from tapes or glass IPs than you would analogue gauges. Check the tons of info F1 drivers get from their steering wheel. This type of information is subliminal. It is processed subconsciously without a cognitive acknowledgement conversion taking place in your brain.
You can restore an 84 Corvette for next to nothing including the glass panel and the throttle body replacement. McClelland struggled with dead heads around him. Him and Rudd objected to the design restrictions of the LT5 boat anchor later. The 84 Vette was the highest selling Vette ever.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:47 PM
jefnvk
CF Senior Member

Another speculative thought popped into my mind until more info comes out: electrical could also mean EMC testing. I had an issue a few years back where some steering wheel switches passed ESD just fine on their own, but when mounted in the wheel months later ended up blowing up the heated wheel controller via some ground plane they found during the same testing. If it was something like that, it could easily take a couple months to redesign protection.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:22 AM
slickstick
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mre1974 View Post
I think someone posted something about a delay and the ME being pushed back/delayed from 2020 MY to 2021 MY awhile ago...but no one wanted to believe or accept it. Electrical issues bring back nightmares of the 1984 C4. GM certainly does not WANT or NEED that to happen with the ME car...
1984? My 2005 C6 was riddled with electrical gremlins and I know I am not the only one.

C7 has not had any issues *knock on everything*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: