Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 01:04 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You can hear the Lambo driver floor it (and bog the car) when the light goes green. He was NOT trying to win in any shape form or fashion. I'm curious why he's even doing this....dragstrips are not the normal venue for Lamborghinis.
The AWD system is fine on them, but launch control starts DO wear stuff out (or break stuff possibly) and let's face it, Lamborghini repair bills aren't for the faint of heart.

we destroyed 3 egears on my ugr car till we got it right. .. but once it was right, it left very hard for a street car...
Old 01-05-2019, 02:33 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Idaho Mark

I remember clearly that the C4 when it came out was rated by some of the car magazines as the best handling car in the world. History doesn’t reflect “pretty poor” in my take on the C4 looking back. But the electronic dash was a dumb idea which did go by the wayside later if that is what you are getting at, then I agree. As cool as I thought the C4 was, I would not buy one specifically because of that dash set up.
I don't think the electronic dash was a dumb idea at all. It was just not executed well. The refresh rate for the tach was too low, and the shape of the tach did not lend itself well to quickly getting an idea of the RPM. Otherwise, it was ahead of its time.
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 AM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Frankly I'm quite glad for the delay. C6 owners got just shy of a full decade (9 model years, but produced since JUNE 04, so really 9.5 years) for their model to be the "new hotness" before the C7 came out and the C6 became the "old and busted". Now us C7 owners get half that time before our cars become the old and busted. Thanks GM!

Last edited by Toddiesel; 01-05-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I don't think the electronic dash was a dumb idea at all. It was just not executed well. The refresh rate for the tach was too low, and the shape of the tach did not lend itself well to quickly getting an idea of the RPM. Otherwise, it was ahead of its time.
Damn right. McClelland's baby. The fake automotive scribes killed it. It is so sad that we have to respond to comments like that. NASA's Glass Panels first arrived in the F111 D in 67 and later in commercial aircraft starting with the MD 80 in 79. Heck, you can get a state of the art glass panel in your C172 for a couple of grand now. I spent $30 gs on my first Beech Baron's IP on a Collins Flight Director system in the early 80s. I flew 'Fly the Bar' and Omega systems on early Lears. Totally obsolete now but the sloth like inertia of the general public demanded such things.
You use a different part of your brain to process information from tapes or glass IPs than you would analogue gauges. Check the tons of info F1 drivers get from their steering wheel. This type of information is subliminal. It is processed subconsciously without a cognitive acknowledgement conversion taking place in your brain.
You can restore an 84 Corvette for next to nothing including the glass panel and the throttle body replacement. McClelland struggled with dead heads around him. Him and Rudd objected to the design restrictions of the LT5 boat anchor later. The 84 Vette was the highest selling Vette ever.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:47 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Another speculative thought popped into my mind until more info comes out: electrical could also mean EMC testing. I had an issue a few years back where some steering wheel switches passed ESD just fine on their own, but when mounted in the wheel months later ended up blowing up the heated wheel controller via some ground plane they found during the same testing. If it was something like that, it could easily take a couple months to redesign protection.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:22 AM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
I think someone posted something about a delay and the ME being pushed back/delayed from 2020 MY to 2021 MY awhile ago...but no one wanted to believe or accept it. Electrical issues bring back nightmares of the 1984 C4. GM certainly does not WANT or NEED that to happen with the ME car...
1984? My 2005 C6 was riddled with electrical gremlins and I know I am not the only one.

C7 has not had any issues *knock on everything*
Old 01-27-2019, 03:51 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Is the C8 delayed because of electrical issues, or is the C8 delayed so gm can sell the lame 4 special addition GS's that will come out in the spring?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:19 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Perhaps, and no. Special additions of almost every make and model appear just before a gen change-over. It sells a few more cars, and perhaps captures a few more who can't accept a coming change.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:57 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

First gen C8s will be at the dealers service depts all year long. I'd wait till year 2 or maybe 3.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:46 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Yarbie
First gen C8s will be at the dealers service depts all year long. I'd wait till year 2 or maybe 3.
The C7 was an all-new car in 2014 and was remarkably bug free.

I'd like another Grand Sport, but if it debuts three years in like the C7, I don't know if I could wait. I'll see what it looks like. If it knocks it out of the park I might jump in early.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:20 AM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

GM is copying Ford successes to get top quality product launched

real delay you had been tipped off earlier

its a plot in their intent to close US factories and US jobs ...leverage an in-demand insulated volume

And is it NOT a union contract year this year?

if it is expect GM as the strike target and huge losses because GM leaders continue to fail to work with the people that work so hard in the Factories and the cyclical nature of their sales cycle isn’t the customer so much as failing to stay current with a solid product plan

you can see the press and wall street pounding Ford now for that, they got complacent and laid back when they should have been pushing the next technology two years ago.
Now the huge push is a lot too late and adding a train station to the plan doesn’t do any thing but distract too...
How short memories are
they tore down the engineering center Henry Ford build due to age and cost to modernize 30 years ago.

Back to the C8
On on the technical side you’d not see so many on the streets if they were unsafe or huge risk of bad event where the car could get non camo pics by being stranded somewhere

and there’s sure to be 100 GM engineers on this forum they all know as well it doesn’t take but a few months to fix wiring or software

smoke screens
Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Yarbie
Not sure how you know the first Gen C8s will spend their time in dealer service departments all year long, but it's been my observation that with each new generation, year 1 and 2 are spent with GM correcting problems and making "fixes", and then year 3 models show up with "improvements".
Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The above was NOT the case with the C7. The first year was as trouble-free, if not more so as any other MY through 2019.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 AM
Sunset-C6
Le Mans Master

Received 133 Likes on 75 Posts

The C8 will be AWD with electric motors powering the front wheels this new technology is the electrical problem delay. I posted this awhile ago.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:43 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The above was NOT the case with the C7. The first year was as trouble-free, if not more so as any other MY through 2019.
2014 C7s were in fact very trouble free, but introduction of the A8 auto trans and Z06 were delayed until model year 2015 and they certainly had some well documented issues until some improvements were made in 2017 and subsequent models..........

Old 01-28-2019, 01:45 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Originally Posted by jovette
2014 C7s were in fact very trouble free, but introduction of the A8 auto trans and Z06 were delayed until model year 2015 and they certainly had some well documented issues until some improvements were made in 2017 and subsequent models..........
My 2014 has been very good mechanically/electrically (knock on wood), but the panel fit/finish and paint has been worse than any of my four C5s.

Quick Reply: GM Authority: C8 Delayed 6 Months Over Electrical Issue