Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not More Doom & Gloom, But Positive BGA News

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default Not More Doom & Gloom, But Positive BGA News

I am tired of reading here how the car is going to cost $169,000; that the Bowling Green is threatened since it is only working at 27% capacity; the still-majorly-disguised car we have seen so far is not even close to attractive; that we might not even have a 2020 Corvette; and, so many other negative inaccuracies.

The atmosphere of doom and gloom here, and the outright misinformation among so many about the Corvette’s future is downright depressing, and why I am here less than before. Let me give you one article that just appeared that shows, surprise, the Bowling Green Assembly Plant will be hiring. (No, not for building SUV’s or similar erroneous theories.)

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturi...=hero-headline

There is a lot of additional positive news upcoming about the 2020+ Corvette that I can not share here at this time, but I was pleased to just see one public article that addresses part of the doom and gloom incorrect assumptions often postulated.

And for the first person who below sarcastically posts, “well the article does not say that more than one person is going to be added to BGA,” (even with the tongue-n-check emoji), that post will just prove my major point in starting this thread. I will not be further posting on this thread. I will however be reading it to see if it becomes more of the same negative, depressing tone that has become pervasive here the last few months, or if the the realists say, enough with the negative spiraling threads based on grossly inaccurate information and conclusions.

Last edited by elegant; 12-14-2018 at 07:55 PM.
The following 35 users liked this post by elegant:
91ZR1 (12-15-2018), ArmchairArchitect (12-20-2018), bdsvavars (12-15-2018), ByByBMW (12-14-2018), capevettes (12-15-2018), CorvettoBrando (12-19-2018), dcbingaman (12-16-2018), DebRedZR1 (12-20-2018), dmaxx3500 (12-29-2018), fasttoys (12-15-2018), firstvettesoon (12-14-2018), Foosh (12-20-2018), george vee (12-14-2018), H Watkins (12-15-2018), hypnotoad (12-20-2018), jagamajajaran (12-14-2018), John Micheal Henry (12-15-2018), Larshelt (12-14-2018), LB001 (12-20-2018), MrBrightside (12-16-2018), NewYuriCity (12-20-2018), OnPoint (12-15-2018), Red67John (12-14-2018), REZ1 (12-20-2018), roadbike56 (12-19-2018), Steve Garrett (12-14-2018), TNBUSA (12-15-2018), tooold2race (12-14-2018), TSanders (12-20-2018), Vernon (12-15-2018), Weasel (12-15-2018), XC6VETTE (12-15-2018), Z51VetteFan (12-15-2018), ZishanM (12-15-2018), ZL-1 (12-16-2018) and 30 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:00 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

Elegant, I'm with you! Paul Thanks!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:06 PM
Michael A Riley
Burning Brakes

Received 810 Likes on 221 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Thank you for posting this. As a small business owner , I have been thinking that GM is just doing what they need to to survive, and shuffle resources to more worthwhile, profitable endeavors. Some of this means plants closing, some of this means changing up the corvette. I for one think it’ll all work out and am excited to add a C8 to my stables one day.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I think its normal to be disappointed the c8 is not going to officially be released in january...

that said in the spirit of your wishes..we have a lot to be grateful for this holiday season.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
dcbingaman (12-16-2018), ojm (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:18 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Elegant I hear ya! I'm a half full or full kinda guy, but it's gone nuts in here. Having spent most of my time in C5 Forced Induction it's just shocking. In that section we have had a fair share of arguments and antagonists over the many years but nothing like here.

I'm looking forward to the ME, I feel the foundation we have seen is strong even without the fine details. A new Vette for me has been long coming, the C6 and 7 just weren't a hit for me. That being said they are part of the family and I wave at em any chance I get and respect the step forward GM has made with both generations.

I will continue to check in here waiting for the next tangible update.

Thanks for sharing,

PC
Old 12-14-2018, 08:20 PM
warhawkmcdaniel
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 93 Posts

I plan on getting a souped up C8 ASAP.Unfortunately there seems to always be more negative than positive,especially now as we are in a period prior to model info release.I don't want just positive news,I want the news the haters and the junk.I would rather deal with real info along with the fake news than control the idiots.Occationaly one of the nut jobs gets info that seems fake but turns out to be real.

Usually it's better to pay less attention to the forum until we get real news.

It's a Wonderful Life is playing on USA network!
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Thanks John.... appreciate the positive positivity! I'm looking forward to seeing the first ever ME Corvette!! So cool that it will happen in my lifetime!!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:54 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I am tired of reading here how the car is going to cost $169,000; that the Bowling Green is threatened since it is only working at 27% capacity; the still-majorly-disguised car we have seen so far is not even close to attractive; that we might not even have a 2020 Corvette; and, so many other negative inaccuracies.

The atmosphere of doom and gloom here, and the outright misinformation among so many about the Corvette’s future is downright depressing, and why I am here less than before. Let me give you one article that just appeared that shows, surprise, the Bowling Green Assembly Plant will be hiring. (No, not for building SUV’s or similar erroneous theories.)

There is a lot of additional positive news upcoming about the 2020+ Corvette that I can not share here at this time, but I was pleased to just see one public article that addresses part of the doom and gloom incorrect assumptions often postulated.

And for the first person who below sarcastically posts, “well the article does not say that more than one person is going to be added to BGA,” (even with the tongue-n-check emoji), that post will just prove my major point in starting this thread. I will not be further posting on this thread. I will however be reading it to see if it becomes more of the same negative, depressing tone that has become pervasive here the last few months, or if the the realists say, enough with the negative spiraling threads based on grossly inaccurate information and conclusions.
I too am fed up with all the negativity on the C8 forum.

I am amazed that so many guys who are enthusiasts and love Corvette can be at a constant state of argument over the information posted by a few .

That being said THIS is another I KNOW GREAT NEWS ABOUT THE C8 but won't share it thread.

Why state that you have positive news if you have ZERO intention of sharing with the members of this forum.

This is just as bad as the it's 169k or its a 56k car threads.

I am tired of the wait and fortunately there are great alternatives to the Corvette.

GM can sit by and say nothing and watch many who have waited patiently get fed up and spend their money on a competitive brand.

I have had a deposit in since January of 2016. I also told myself if I could not order by February or March of 2019 I would simple buy another toy with a different manufacturer.

It's not that I need another toy as I already have a 2016 SC 757 and a 2015 458. It's more that I have lost the enthusiasm I had for the C8 due to the long wait and not even one thing official from GM to keep me interested and more important excited.

I have read and watched a number of articles and videos on the 2020 911s.

Orders can be placed in January per my local Porsche dealership and I can expect a late summer early fall delivery.

So GM just lost a sale as I was and still am ready and prepared to spend 150k plus on a another super car / high performance toy.

GM should have noted how Dodge handle the roll out of the Demon. While that is not my type of car they created great level of excitement and kept the Mopar faithful complete interested in the car.

GM has to know everybody who is a car enthusiasts knows that the car is coming.

Time to keep the loyal Corvette Guys and gals excited about the car or be prepared to lose many to the other great option available too us all.

Here's to hope that GM throws out some real information to the faithful soon.

To all my Corvette friends and fellow enthusiasts I wish everyone a safe and happy holiday and a prosperous New Year!!

Last edited by vetteman41960; 12-14-2018 at 08:58 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by vetteman41960:
ojm (12-14-2018), pickleseimer (12-14-2018), roadking40 (12-15-2018), vndkshn (12-17-2018), Z51VetteFan (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone "needs to know" about the 2020 Corvette in December of 2018 or they'll go buy something else. If you are that impatient, for God's sakes go buy something else! I think you'll be sorry you did, but if that's your mindset, by all means knock yourself out. Nobody cares. I want to get a Samsung S10+. It will be announced in late February and I can hardy stand it! But I will. Nobody cares about that either and I don't blame them!
DebRedZR1 (12-20-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Life is too short to worry about things you can't change and It's just a CAR. Happy Holidays to Everyone.
DebRedZR1 (12-20-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:04 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Exactly how I feel. Lots of pointless bitching and misinformation. Thanks for the post.
CorvettoBrando (12-19-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

John,

Thanks for the article. BGA has been considered a choice job to land for many years. Those who work there are very loyal to Corvette and very glad to be there. Would be a great move for any employee of one the plants affected by the closures.

As for the ME and its release timing, whether it's delayed, it's cost, and all the other hyperventilating going on here - GM will release it when it's ready to go. That's what testing and development is about. Kinda funny how some seem to think the timeline is theirs. It's not. It's GM's, and they'll release when it's ready. As I've mentioned to others, I hope they are flogging the ever-loving daylights out of these rigs. Run the hell out of them. Overload the systems. Do repeated launch control activated launches. Redline it over and over. Overheat it. Stress the thermal management to the brink. Over and over. Break stuff. Break a lot of stuff. Identify all the weak links and determine which ones don't have sufficient durability headroom and redesign them to give them that headroom.

Time to do that is now. Not after they're in the showroom. Test. And develop. If GM is breaking stuff on the C8, I say, "Good for them!" I'd be disappointed if they weren't. I'll be happily waiting to receive mine when they have it good and ready to go.

And I'm not worried about the pricing - I'm pretty confident it'll have a rational pricing structure to the multiple variants of ME.

All is needed is a bit of patience. Pretty easy for the crowd to get itself worked up into a lather within its own echo chamber. All for naught, btw.
The following 5 users liked this post by OnPoint:
427muscle (12-19-2018), capevettes (12-15-2018), DebRedZR1 (12-20-2018), Foosh (12-20-2018), Vernon (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:25 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
I'm not sure why anyone "needs to know" about the 2020 Corvette in December of 2018 or they'll go buy something else. If you are that impatient, for God's sakes go buy something else! I think you'll be sorry you did, but if that's your mindset, by all means knock yourself out. Nobody cares. I want to get a Samsung S10+. It will be announced in late February and I can hardy stand it! But I will. Nobody cares about that either and I don't blame them!
When what we are talking about is a toy. It's not that I need anything. I simple am tired of the wait.

So I will spend my money on a 911s. Again it's just a toy to add to my garage of other toys.

I don't need the Callaway SC757 or my 458 because their just toys.

Adding a C8 is just another toy. So do I need a C8 no who needs a Corvette to most of us it's just a weekend toy not a DD that we have to have.

Life short if you want something why wait when there are so many options too choose from.

My point is GM will lose buyer as the C7 is old in the tooth and the C8 is not acknowledged. So yeah lots of guys like me will just buy another toy from a another manufacturer.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:53 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,515 Likes on 2,319 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Fantastic post!
Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Sorry I ain't buying it. Another PR stunt. GM will not be hiring new people who are leaving for whatever reason. Its cutting people. "Transferring" is nothing more than offering someone else a job somewhere else if they want to move their entire family. The plant still closes and the town suffers the same.

Closing plants is closing plants. And making electric vehicles takes a lot fewer people. Some of what they are closing will never come back because they are ICE based.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:17 AM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
John,

Thanks for the article. BGA has been considered a choice job to land for many years. Those who work there are very loyal to Corvette and very glad to be there. Would be a great move for any employee of one the plants affected by the closures.

As for the ME and its release timing, whether it's delayed, it's cost, and all the other hyperventilating going on here - GM will release it when it's ready to go. That's what testing and development is about. Kinda funny how some seem to think the timeline is theirs. It's not. It's GM's, and they'll release when it's ready. As I've mentioned to others, I hope they are flogging the ever-loving daylights out of these rigs. Run the hell out of them. Overload the systems. Do repeated launch control activated launches. Redline it over and over. Overheat it. Stress the thermal management to the brink. Over and over. Break stuff. Break a lot of stuff. Identify all the weak links and determine which ones don't have sufficient durability headroom and redesign them to give them that headroom.

Time to do that is now. Not after they're in the showroom. Test. And develop. If GM is breaking stuff on the C8, I say, "Good for them!" I'd be disappointed if they weren't. I'll be happily waiting to receive mine when they have it good and ready to go.

And I'm not worried about the pricing - I'm pretty confident it'll have a rational pricing structure to the multiple variants of ME.

All is needed is a bit of patience. Pretty easy for the crowd to get itself worked up into a lather within its own echo chamber. All for naught, btw.
In general, I see our forum banter as a great opportunity to participate in the social venue/forum where we dream, speculate, reflect and communicate about our shared passions with America's Sports Car.
The optimists and pessimists ultimately co-exist and make our experience more dynamic...interesting!

Having lived 5 decades as a "car nut" , I view the past couple of decades as a re-birth of the "muscle car era" that I dreamed of enjoying in the 60's and early 70's but lacked the financial means to realize.
Today, I can realize my dreams as a 'car nut'. And who knows, maybe a C8 will be part of that dream.
I'm still hopin' to get a C7 ZR1 to join my C6 ZR1.

My motivation for participation in CF is to engage in respectful communication where we share and enjoy reading about one another's 'love affair' (my wife calls it 'obsession") with the automobile.
And typically as I do in face-to-face communication, I choose to ignore the 'naysayers', but I 'err' as well.

Back to the thread, and in particular, OnPoint's hopes for GM to release the C8 "when it's ready to go." (excellent points!)
The engineering and testing necessary to revolutionize America's Sports Car to ME architecture and more directly compete/play with the European super and hyper cars of ME and similar RE architecture is HUGE!!!

I hope for GM, GM employees, and for us, the Corvette faithful, that GM hits a "HOME RUN" with the C8!
Then, too, selfishly, I'll have another high performance car to dream about and aspire to own!

Realizing Zora's dream of some four decades ago to build the ME Corvette is almost here...WOW, that's EXCITING NEWS!!!

Save the WAVE!

Last edited by Vernon; 12-15-2018 at 01:25 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vernon:
CorvettoBrando (12-19-2018), OnPoint (12-15-2018), rsinor (12-20-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 01:46 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Wait...why are CUSTOMERS of GM carrying their water for them?
Unless there is $$$ involved, there is no need for cheerleaders.
Either the C8 is a hit and worth the wait, or it isn't.
'Nuff said.

Get notified of new replies

To Not More Doom & Gloom, But Positive BGA News

Old 12-15-2018, 04:00 AM
G35c6MT
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Let’s see:

C4 1984-‘96: 13 model years
C5 1997-‘04: 8 model years
C6 2005-‘13: 9 model years
C7 2014-??: 6+ model years

Why complain that the C7 has been around for too long? Easier/Earlier access to spy shots doesn’t mean a car will be produced any sooner. In fact, with the switch to ME I’d expect the R&D period to be even longer than before. Just enjoy the ride.
Rapid Fred (12-15-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 05:34 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

John, thank you for your thoughtful post. It echoes a lot of what I have been feeling. You can PM the insider info to me ��
As On point said, patience is a virtue. This is a car worth waiting for. I won't be buying a Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by capevettes:
OnPoint (12-15-2018), rsinor (12-20-2018)
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

You forgot.....'.It's going to be a CADILLAC'

Quick Reply: Not More Doom & Gloom, But Positive BGA News