Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual clutch vs 8l90 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
The only way you get smooth shifts and a smooth take off in a DCT is with slipping clutches which produces heat and wear. Below 20 mph presents a big problem and many other situations described else where..
A TC at slow speeds is a fluid coupling which produces heat but no wear. You can't get the same level of smoothness in a DCT but it will cost you if you do.. A properly designed TC in place of the odd gear clutch pack in your DCT would be a cool thing. (Excuse the pun) There are some out there. I wouldn't want one anyway. Why no one has gone the way of the LFA, I don't know.
Two of my four cars have conventual manual transmissions with conventual dry clutches and neither has any auxiliary cooling to keep the clutch cool. Yet the other two vehicles I own have planetary gear automatics with torque convertors and both have auxiliary cooling to keep the transmission from overheating.

Most new DCT's have wet clutches and overheating the clutch discs would be very rare. Even AMG, on some of their high horsepower models use a planetary gear auto transmission but without a torque convertor. Instead, they use a multi-disc wet clutch like used with a conventual manual transmission or a DCT.

What makes you think that a computer controlled clutch slippage in a DCT would generate more heat and wear than your left foot controlled clutch slippage with a manual transmission, like in my Z06?

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-18-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Two of my four cars have conventual manual transmissions with conventual dry clutches and neither has any auxiliary cooling to keep the clutch cool. Yet the other two vehicles I own have planetary gear automatics with torque convertors and both have auxiliary cooling to keep the transmission from overheating.

Most new DCT's have wet clutches and overheating the clutch discs would be very rare. Even AMG, on some of their high horsepower models use a planetary gear auto transmission but without a torque convertor. Instead, they use a multi-disc wet clutch like used with a conventual manual transmission or a DCT.
A clutch over heat warning light comes on on all exotic car's dash with DCTs and the car simply shuts down. Watch the video I posted. You have to learn how to drive DCTs to prevent it. You the guy that makes things up.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:08 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Has NEVER happened on my Boxster, even when driving at an auto-x or a HPDE. Never. One does not have to "learn" how to drive a DCT. Maybe if you get a poorly programmed one but those of us who have driven the PDK know that most folks saying all this folderall about DCT's have never driven a PDK.
PS. I just went back and looked for your video and can't find it. Could you post the video again or at least what post it was in? Thanks

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-18-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Has NEVER happened on my Boxster, even when driving at an auto-x or a HPDE. Never. One does not have to "learn" how to drive a DCT. Maybe if you get a poorly programmed one but those of us who have driven the PDK know that most folks saying all this folderall about DCT's have never driven a PDK.
PS. I just went back and looked for your video and can't find it. Could you post the video again or at least what post it was in? Thanks
Old 12-18-2018, 02:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,431 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Hopefully the ME's DCT will be as robust as Porsche's. Road and Track beat on a Porsche PDK and tried to break it. They failed:

The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
ByByBMW (12-18-2018), isellpower (12-19-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 02:45 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Two of my four cars have conventual manual transmissions with conventual dry clutches and neither has any auxiliary cooling to keep the clutch cool.
One of your two cars with conventional manual transmission needs auxiliary cooling, the dreaded "clutch pedal on the floor" in C5s and C6s is the result of slipping the clutch too much in spirited driving. The heat generated causes the fluid in the "over the shaft" clutch actuator to boil...air bubbles don't compress very well.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:49 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tom73

A transaxle usually has the output shafts from the differential about midway back on the transaxle case. You usually have the transmission wrapped around the differential. Very hard to stick a differential in the middle of an existing transmission.
There's more than one way to skin a cat, you obviously didn't read the rest of my post so here it is:

"The Turbo 400/3L80 from the '60s was adapted to the front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado/Oldsmobile Tornado by casting a transaxle case to use the guts of the Turbo 400 and incorporate a differential, it was called the Turbo 425."

The differential doesn't have to go in the middle of the transmission...unless there's a law I'm not familiar with.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:14 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

Yet Audi replaces the 8 speed auto that is used in the 2018 A7 with a 7 speed DCT in the 2019 A7. And that is a luxury 4 door sedan/hatchback starting at $69,000, where people expect a smooth operating transmission.
It's already been said and I'll say it again. What the owners of high end German brands put up with is unprecedented. If GM put DCT's in high end cars people would be ranting that they are total piles of trash but the same thing happens in a German car and most consumers just put up with it as a German quirk. The first thing that came to my mind after getting my DCT is... my Dad would never put up with this thing. It would be back to the dealer over and over and he'd lemon law it. Also that same wet clutch you are raving about causes issues at cold temperatures.

Originally Posted by Bikerjulio
I drive one daily with none of these problems. Do you?
I have 5 vehicles so I don't daily mine but I do in fact own one and yes it can be clunky in slow speed situations, backing up a hill, etc. One can not expect a computer to know exactly what the driver is thinking / about to do all the time so it's going to get the clutch pressure wrong at some point and have to adjust after the fact. This is what makes them not the best in these situations.

Go on ANY forum of a car that has DCT (rennlist, bimmerforums, etc.) and you will find people saying these exact same things. There are certainly people who ignore the symptoms... that's fine... but to say they are as smooth as a regular auto is simply not grounded in reality. Do some looking... "PDK shudder uphill" boom... thread on rennlist with responses saying "that's normal for a DCT"

There is also a reason why Acura makes a DCT that has a Torque Converter. If the problem didn't exist why in the heck would a manufacturer fix it?

Old 12-18-2018, 03:29 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
One of your two cars with conventional manual transmission needs auxiliary cooling, the dreaded "clutch pedal on the floor" in C5s and C6s is the result of slipping the clutch too much in spirited driving. The heat generated causes the fluid in the "over the shaft" clutch actuator to boil...air bubbles don't compress very well.
Air does compress and that's only part of the issue, but that's neither here nor there. I was under the assumption that the pedal to the floor issue was actually due to the exhaust routing by the line rather than the clutch itself. But I've only heard stories, I have no first hand experience so theres that as well.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Air does compress and that's only part of the issue, but that's neither here nor there. I was under the assumption that the pedal to the floor issue was actually due to the exhaust routing by the line rather than the clutch itself. But I've only heard stories, I have no first hand experience so theres that as well.
The reason why the clutch pedal sticks to the floor in the C5 and C6 is the poorly designed seals on the throwout bearing slave cylinder. It's the super fine clutch disc particles that create the problem.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Shaka
A clutch over heat warning light comes on on all exotic car's dash with DCTs and the car simply shuts down. Watch the video I posted. You have to learn how to drive DCTs to prevent it. You the guy that makes things up.
Can you direct me to the page in the respective owners manual dealing with DCT clutch overheating warning lights on the 2019 Audi A7 or the 2019 Porsche Panamera, or the 2019 AMG GT or the 2019 Acura NSX or the 2019 Ford GT?

The following 3 users liked this post by JoesC5:
ByByBMW (12-18-2018), isellpower (12-19-2018), thebishman (12-20-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

What makes you think that a computer controlled clutch slippage in a DCT would generate more heat and wear than your left foot controlled clutch slippage with a manual transmission, like in my Z06?
i dont think that dct are made to slip, they just engage clutch and go ( the same you do with manual)
problem is that there no torque moltiplication
Old 12-18-2018, 04:40 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Christi@n

i dont think that dct are made to slip, they just engage clutch and go ( the same you do with manual)
problem is that there no torque moltiplication
But there is no torque multiplication in a manual either so I don't understand why that is a problem?
Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

A nice type of tranmsson IMO could be a modern traditional auto like 8l90 or a zf, though equipped with an heavy duty lock up clutch that handles can all the torque so it could be engaged even on high rpm too.

in this trans idea i want to use conv for stop, starting and in case of torque demand, so the transmission would be locked up for more time than a traditional automatic.
Also this clutch would be a performance part not just an item to reduce mpg,

Last edited by Christi@n; 12-19-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

But there is no torque multiplication in a manual either so I don't understand why that is a problem?
no torque moltiplication both for manual and dct.
converter only can produce torque moltiplication

Anyway is not a problem, but why delete a well tried mechanism with a long story that can such a kind of magic developes torque, to fill in one that can not do it?

Last edited by Christi@n; 12-18-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
There's more than one way to skin a cat, you obviously didn't read the rest of my post so here it is:

"The Turbo 400/3L80 from the '60s was adapted to the front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado/Oldsmobile Tornado by casting a transaxle case to use the guts of the Turbo 400 and incorporate a differential, it was called the Turbo 425."

The differential doesn't have to go in the middle of the transmission...unless there's a law I'm not familiar with.
The late 60’s Eldorado/Toronado had the engine mounted normally in a fore aft configuration with the torque converter mounted on the back of the engine as was also normal. But the transmission was mounted beside the engine on the passenger side with the output shaft pointed towards the front. The torque converter drove the transmission via a special 2” chain. The transmission then connected to a differential that was mounted between the front wheels.

The reason a transaxle has the differential output stubs around the middle of the housing in a mid-engine configuration is for engine placement. If you put the differential at the rear of the transmission then you would have to move the engine forward (or the wheels backwards) 12 to 18 inches. Guess you could put the differential ahead of the transmission but then you would have issues of getting the power past the differential to the transmission and then back to the differential.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:47 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Christi@n

no torque moltiplication both for manual and dct.
converter only can produce torque moltiplication
But you said, "problem is that there no torque moltiplication"
i'm asking WHY that is a problem.

Edit: Never mind, saw you edited your other post.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 12-18-2018 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Christi@n (12-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Dual clutch vs 8l90 tranny

Old 12-19-2018, 08:47 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Air does compress...
Not with one stroke of the clutch pedal. Let me be more specific, air is not incompressible.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:51 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

The reason why the clutch pedal sticks to the floor in the C5 and C6 is the poorly designed seals on the throwout bearing slave cylinder. It's the super fine clutch disc particles that create the problem.
You can say the "super fine clutch disc particles" cause the problem but in reality, it's heat that causes the clutch fluid to boil. I'm willing to listen to your theory on how "super fine clutch disc particles" can boil clutch fluid.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:58 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

But you said, "problem is that there no torque moltiplication"
i'm asking WHY that is a problem.

Edit: Never mind, saw you edited your other post.
thought about this post, got that i've used a local "way to say" here. "The problem is" usually used when someone not completely agree with something even if not a real problem. (This case was lack of converter)...

most likely the right word would be: "just there's no torque multiplication", that's the same here in Italy (just = the problem is)

Last edited by Christi@n; 12-19-2018 at 09:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (12-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Dual clutch vs 8l90 tranny