Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual clutch vs 8l90 tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 07:08 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by onpoint
hopefully the me's dct will be as robust as porsche's. Road and track beat on a porsche pdk and tried to break it. They failed:

https://youtu.be/a5drctw-q7o?t=2

a m a z i n g!!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 11:28 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Well, bottom line is, should the DCT in the new Corvette prove troublesome, we will certainly hear about if here, FIRST. I still tin GM laid a turd w/ the A8 (having a 2015 and a buddy w/ issue on his also). Issues are not just w/ the Corvette, but plenty of threads in forums where ever GM put that transmission. A6 was solid in comparison. My M240i has the ZF 8 speed and that tranny is the best I've ever owned.

BMW dropped the DCT on the new M5 in favor of a ZF. It certainly dones't seem to impact performance as one car Magazine got a 0-60 is 2.85 seconds. I got one comment when I first mentioned BMW switch in the M5 this earlier in this thread, Comment was something to the effect that BMW's reason for dropping the DCT was the M5 would be driven for groceries and such. Following that logic, isn't that the purpose of most of the performance cars sold to the public? What percentage actually see competition or track use? Most are driven on public roads for commutes or pleasure with some forays into the spirited driving driving realm (and then, mostly straight line acceleration fun)...

I'm wondering if we will see them shift (no pun intended) from the DCT on BMW's future performance line to the ZF 8 speeds.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Well, bottom line is, should the DCT in the new Corvette prove troublesome, we will certainly hear about if here, FIRST. I still tin GM laid a turd w/ the A8 (having a 2015 and a buddy w/ issue on his also). Issues are not just w/ the Corvette, but plenty of threads in forums where ever GM put that transmission. A6 was solid in comparison. My M240i has the ZF 8 speed and that tranny is the best I've ever owned.

BMW dropped the DCT on the new M5 in favor of a ZF. It certainly dones't seem to impact performance as one car Magazine got a 0-60 is 2.85 seconds. I got one comment when I first mentioned BMW switch in the M5 this earlier in this thread, Comment was something to the effect that BMW's reason for dropping the DCT was the M5 would be driven for groceries and such. Following that logic, isn't that the purpose of most of the performance cars sold to the public? What percentage actually see competition or track use? Most are driven on public roads for commutes or pleasure with some forays into the spirited driving driving realm (and then, mostly straight line acceleration fun)...

I'm wondering if we will see them shift (no pun intended) from the DCT on BMW's future performance line to the ZF 8 speeds.
While BMW went back to a slush-o-matic transmission, There are another 19 brands that use a DCT(will be 20 brands when the C8 is released).

Old 12-23-2018, 02:38 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

the zf autobox is imoressive but then again so is the dct..

off the line the torque convertor auto is quicker...from a fifty mph roll...the dct pulls the tq convertor automatic quite handily..

good insight in the video to answer why in a sports car especially many believe the dct is the better choice.

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-23-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:41 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette

off the line the torque convertor auto is quicker...from a fifty mph roll...the dct pulls the tq convertor automatic quite handily..

good insight in the video to answer why in a sports car especially many believe the dct is the better choice.

https://youtu.be/egKSnA21wNk
I suppose that converter is on bmw, am i right?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JerriVette

https://youtu.be/egKSnA21wNk

Which car in the video has a DCT?

It's not the Mercedes AMG E63S.

the AMG E63s has a 9 speed MCT transmission, which is a slush-o-matic(planetary gear automatic) but instead of a torque convertor it uses multiple clutch discs with a pressure plate(like used on a manual transmission) that is actuated by the car's computer instead of the drivers left foot.

Then it must be the BMW...nope...not the BMW.

But, the BMW is quicker off the line.

The 4.0L AMG has 603 HP with 4515 lbs curb weight.

The 4.4L BMW has 617 HP with 4370 lbs curb weight.

Greater displacement and horsepower with less weight favors the BMW in 0-60 acceleration, so it's not all by ONLY comparing the torque convertor against a multi disc clutch..

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-23-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:57 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

If that is the case , why would BMW decide against using one in their new M5?

Have owned 3 generations of the M5 & a big M fan as I owned over 14 of them. BMW is changing their focus & moving their M-cars in a direction a lot of the M fans are not happy with. One irritation is adding the M badge on every car they build calling it the M package when it's not a true M car. One main reason BMW dropped the DCT is to save money and to get better fuel economy with 8 speed and even 10-speed transmissions for the future. My V10 M5 had a single clutch as much as I loved that car it was horrible for passengers as it was jerky. My 2013 V8-Turbo M5 has a DCT, love that car and very happy with that transmission, it's very fast with smooth shifts when you need it to be. My current 2010 M3 has a DCT developed in conjunction with Getrag, I love this transmission. I had a new 2018 M5 for the day, BMW is trying to move me into the all-wheel-drive 137k faster version which has a 0 to 60 in 3 seconds flat (many of the mags are getting these times). One take away from my day was the transmission, it was smooth and had a similar feel to the DCT but in the end, it is not the same, automatic made the car to boring, I prefer the DCT.

ME/DCT. I hope the new Corvette has all the controls BMW installs in their DCT. They allow you to change the speed of the shifts and so many other unique options that make them way more fun compared to the Porsche PDK cars I have owned. Now a 9k rev GT3 Rs is on another level I meant all other versions they sell not GT cars.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-23-2018 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Which car in the video has a DCT?

It's not the Mercedes AMG E63S.

the AMG E63s has a 9 speed MCT transmission, which is a slush-o-matic(planetary gear automatic) but instead of a torque convertor it uses multiple clutch discs with a pressure plate(like used on a manual transmission) that is actuated by the car's computer instead of the drivers left foot.

Then it must be the BMW...nope...not the BMW.

But, the BMW is quicker off the line.

The 4.0L AMG has 603 HP with 4515 lbs curb weight.

The 4.4L BMW has 617 HP with 4370 lbs curb weight.

Greater displacement and horsepower with less weight favors the BMW in 0-60 acceleration, so it's not all by ONLY comparing the torque convertor against a multi disc clutch..
nice transmission type, is something similar i was refering to in my post #54 just without converter. Add a converter in this one that can be used when high torque is required and you get my trans idea i was speaking about

so in this way would be possible to avoid converter slipping during curbs exit.

Last edited by Christi@n; 12-23-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Christi@n

nice transmission type, is something similar i was refering to in my post #54 just without converter. Add a converter in this one that can be used when high torque is required and you get my trans idea i was speaking about

so in this way would be possible to avoid converter slipping during curbs exit.
The reason AMG removed the torque converter and replaced it with multi-clutch disc's was because of high torque(627 lb-ft) being applied by the engine..

Put your left foot on the brake pedal and your right foot on the accelerator pedal and mash it to the floor. Wait until the engine RPM stabilizes at 4000 RPM and remove your left foot from the brake pedal(and hold on).

Last edited by JoesC5; 12-23-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

The reason AMG removed the torque converter and replaced it with multi-clutch disc's was because of high torque(627 lb-ft) being applied by the engine..

Put your left foot on the brake pedal and your right foot on the accelerator pedal and mash it to the floor. Wait until the engine RPM stabilizes at 4000 RPM and remove your left foot from the brake pedal(and hold on).

This sounds a little bit strange to me.
Torque converter usually can hand big torque (see at c7 z06) and it can multiplies it from 1,5 to 2 times from engine exit crank.

I think this mod could be for other reason such as more control in order to avoid the converter slip
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Christi@n

This sounds a little bit strange to me.
Torque converter usually can hand big torque
Yup. Plenty of diesels making over 1000ft lbs out there as well as drag racers well over 3000 hp.

whatever reason MB did this was not because of torque issues
Old 12-27-2018, 04:05 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

Sorry, my bad. I should have been more specific. I should have specified a u-turn within the transmission. If you go external you could keep adding components and assemblies to your hearts desire and have the power doing circles all around the engine and car.

Note: let’s keep this civil and drop the name calling. Okay?
The Turbo 425 is a single transmission case, the U-turn is done within the transmission.

Note: never called you a name, beginning to see the problem is more a lack of comprehension.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Not sure why all the focus on torque converter during acceleration, The problem with torque converter transmissions has always been doing a correct downshift. I haven't driven an A8 on track so I don't know if it can handle downshifts any better than the C6 A6 but if it can't then a DCT is the only way to go.

Bill
Old 12-28-2018, 04:50 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Upshifts and downshifts with the current A8 are a bit sluggish especially when using the paddles.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:21 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure why all the focus on torque converter during acceleration, The problem with torque converter transmissions has always been doing a correct downshift. I haven't driven an A8 on track so I don't know if it can handle downshifts any better than the C6 A6 but if it can't then a DCT is the only way to go.

Bill
it all depends on which track you play on. I would guess there are far more Corvettes visiting drag strips than road coarses.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM
jsmbluecar
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

All I know is that I would much rather drive around the DCT in my Ferrari than drive my A8 Corvette. The A8 gets the job done, but the Ferrari is on a different level of driving pleasure in comparison. If they can get a DCT in there that's good for a reasonable price they would be crazy not to.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NY09C6

it all depends on which track you play on. I would guess there are far more Corvettes visiting drag strips than road coarses.
And even more visiting the national parks.
The following users liked this post:
The Clevite Kid (04-07-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 01:39 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Upshifts and downshifts with the current A8 are a bit sluggish especially when using the paddles.
UNLESS the car is being driven aggressively.

My Z shifts fast when I take it on my "private" roadcourse () thru the hills where I live.
During normal operation around town it is slower, but not annoyingly so.
When left in Auto Mode it is very smooth IMO.
Originally Posted by jsmbluecar
All I know is that I would much rather drive around the DCT in my Ferrari than drive my A8 Corvette. The A8 gets the job done, but the Ferrari is on a different level of driving pleasure in comparison. If they can get a DCT in there that's good for a reasonable price they would be crazy not to.
Having driven a 458 on a track, I concur.
The Ferrari is in a different universe.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:55 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

And even more visiting the national parks.
And even more covered up sitting in the garage.

Quick Reply: Dual clutch vs 8l90 tranny