Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C8 info from GM Corporate Employee, Camaro getting ZR1 engine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 12-18-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I can't believe hardly any of that post. It contradicts stuff we've known for months. 12-16 months for the ME reveal???
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:09 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter Raulerson
I can't believe hardly any of that post. It contradicts stuff we've known for months. 12-16 months for the ME reveal???
Not if we don't know how long the rumored electrical issue has been known.

And per the discussion, it's:
" Me: When is it going to be available to the public?

Her: Not for a while, I would say at least 12 -16 months.

Me: When will GM reveal the car to the Public?

Her: This spring, we are actually working on the Press Release now.

The following 2 users liked this post by ShagVette:
John T (12-17-2018), Tennis & Golf Nut (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:11 PM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

Very interesting information, especially the V6 motor. GM might just have a twin turbo V6 running around in the race version right now, hard to tell from the sound track we all heard but as the old saying goes, race on Sunday and sell on Monday could be the catch to get people on board with the V6. . We just have to be patient about it, sounds like soon we will finally get to see what it will look like inside and out
Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
I wrote as much as I could remember immediately after hanging up.

I had no idea she knew anything about cars. She is a secretary in a department that would know about new car releases.
Sounds like she is privy to a lot a detailed inside information even in her position as a secretary. If what she said is true, it wouldn't take GM very long to figure out who leaked that information. And, if that's the case, she should be afraid for her job because there would be serious repercussions for divulging information like that. I hope you know you may have accidentally put her job in jeopardy. As much as we'd all love to hear more, just think of the consequences for her. Trust me, GM would not take any one doing this lightly. That's JMHO.
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:29 PM
max pl
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Like Trump, I try to use common sense.

A Base 2020 ME Corvettte with 500HP+ (V8) for $70,000.00?

Even the base will probably be less than 3.5 seconds 0-60MPH and 11's in the 1320 .

ZL1 MSRP = $73,990.00

Shelby GT350R (2018) MSRP = $79,490.00

Base Porsche 911 MSRP = $121,850.00
you lost me there.

Last edited by max pl; 12-17-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Looking forward to hearing about what happened to the v6 corvette when reality rears its ugly head and we find out his is a lot of bull.

i still enjoyed the read...always fun to dream..

we will find out when GM wants us to..l

could part of this be accurate?

Sure...no secretary gave out this information...and jeopardized her job...

jmo
Old 12-17-2018, 06:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I wrote as much as I could remember immediately after hanging up.

I had no idea she knew anything about cars. She is a secretary in a department that would know about new car releases.

That's all I'm going to say.
If this is true, you've said far too much. You are putting her at great risk for losing her job. There's way too much identifying information you posted. It shouldn't be too hard for corporate security to narrow down to a few people with the information you provided. She trusted you and you put the conversation on a public forum? I really hope you disguised everything "she" said. Of course, that begs the question whether this is at all real.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by max pl
you lost me there.
Deleted

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 12-18-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamr616
Sounds like she is privy to a lot a detailed inside information even in her position as a secretary. If what she said is true, it wouldn't take GM very long to figure out who leaked that information. And, if that's the case, she should be afraid for her job because there would be serious repercussions for divulging information like that. I hope you know you may have accidentally put her job in jeopardy. As much as we'd all love to hear more, just think of the consequences for her. Trust me, GM would not take any one doing this lightly. That's JMHO.
My thoughts as well.

If this is true then I'd think of it as a massive leak. Although as far as the C8 goes the only new (disappointing) info is to do with the delivery date. That and the V6 I guess.

Usually, people with good sources are keen to protect them. Not so much in this case. Which makes me wonder.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Even the base will probably be less than 3.5 seconds 0-60MPH and 11's in the 1320 .

ZL1 MSRP = $73,990.00

These are all completely wrong. The ZL1 starts at 62k, the GT350R starts at 67k, and the base 911 is about 95k. I don't know why you wouldn't just look up the MSRP instead of posting incorrect info.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:57 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

"Study Group" = Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

ZL1 MSRP = $73,990.00

That Porsche price is for a 4S, not a base car. The updated 2020 pricing for base hasn't been released yet far as I can tell.

Pricing for the 2020 911 Carrera S starts at$113,200 while the Carrera 4S is $120,600—representing an increase of over $8000 over the 991. Both will arrive at US dealers next summer.Nov 28, 2018

At current a base 2019 911 comes in at just under $92k so looks like they will look to stay under $100k for the 2020

PC
Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I really don't see this as a massive leak whatsover:::: Maybe the V6 but the rest? From where I sit I heard nothing new.

As for T&G, he checks out, right? He has the informer's back, female-male or whatever.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
These are all completely wrong. The ZL1 starts at 62k, the GT350R starts at 67k, and the base 911 is about 95k. I don't know why you wouldn't just look up the MSRP instead of posting incorrect info.

Deleted

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 12-18-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:23 PM
RedBaroness
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 58 Posts

The problem I see with this is that Camaro sales have been in the tank not because they have a powerful model, but because they don't have a good offering on the lower end. They aren't touching Challenger or Mustang sales because those two have lower end models that make up a LOT of their sales. A new one with even more horses isn't going to revitalize their total sales numbers. The average person who wants a Mustang or a Camaro and considers them a dream car (the top cars Americans consider) can't afford a new 770hp Camaro. A new higher horse version isn't going to cause their lower end ones to sell better.

While I agree that a C8 will be a bit higher price, the stories I've heard that Chevrolet wants to corral all current Stingray and Grand Sport and even Z06 drivers into higher end Camaros and make the Corvette a special car at expensive prices sounds like a sure fire way to cause lots of additional pain and suffering with GM sales. People who bought even a lower version Stingray bought a Corvette because it was a Corvette and NOT a Camaro. If Chevrolet is thinking they are suddenly going to ship and sell 15,000 of these overseas, I still don't think they are looking at the market correctly. While there are some crossover sales, many Porsche people aren't about to buy a Corvette. And in this country Porsche only sells about 10k 911s, Boxsters and Caymans each year. Ferrari, etc. sell 8,500 cars a year worldwide and Lamborghini about 3,800 for their record number. So the real question is....all the people who are keeping the sales numbers up for Corvette....are they going to buy a new Camaro instead? Or keep their C7 instead? Or go in another direction entirely? This $160k+ C8 rumor that keeps running around isn't going to move 18,000 units a year. So what else are they going to build at Bowling Green or will production drop to record low numbers? Corvette has been a profit maker for the company and suddenly pissing away 80% of your regular customers to try and cater to a bunch of current Porsche buyers (people buying Ferrari and Lambo do it for history, panache, etc and likely aren't that interested). Even the Viper vanished.

Acura thought they could sell a new NSX, going from a much lower priced vehicle to much more of a complex supercar. It has failed utterly this year. Last year they did okay, but now sales are sometimes single digits in a month and their total sales in Europe are tiny at best. People indicated they weren't willing to pay $160k+ for an Acura. Chevrolet has been dealing with that right now...people were willing to buy a Prius, but not a Volt. They were willing to buy an Accord but not an Impala. An interview with a guy who helps people locate the best car for them indicated that when he presented the Chevrolet option they weren't even as concerned about the price at times as much as it is was a "Chevy".

Although the current C7 GS, Z06 and now ZR1 hold LOTS of lap records and compete with the cars that cost multiples of their price, often beating them, you'd think that such a bargain would make more people WANT to buy them. But it doesn't and hasn't drawn massive numbers of buyers where they are sold overseas. It hasn't cost Porsche sales either, their closest realistic competitor in that market. The Cadillac CTS-V which was road tested at $100k plus with options had what many still call a "cheap interior" compared to many, so although the C7 interior took a massive leap forward, it would require another leap that far ahead, beyond what we really see hailed in even their luxury Cadillac cars now.

I'm sure they think they know who wants to buy one, but a post on here on part of the reason WHY a Porsche costs more showed in the parts....door hinge to door hinge, interior fastener to interior fastener. The Chevrolet bits are fine...they work and many are likely used on other vehicles lowering their cost. Has Chevrolet completely abandoned every other part in their inventory to create a totally new car with every single part built to what Porsche engineers would design? They already build a capable engine and a stiff chassis and quality suspension components and sell a massively capable Camaro with a Z06 engine for even less than the Z06. For them to think that the base end is 160k, it would require a quality upgrade to all areas.....interior materials, door hinges, everything. Something completely different and beyond anything they've really done before.

The Corvette has provided amazing performance for a realistic amount of money for many who worked hard and wanted something nice that wasn't Ferrari level pricing. This recent spate of 600-800 horsepower cars with Demons and Camaros and Mustangs has turned a lot of things topsy turvy, but even back in the day, Corvette offered similar engines but in an amazing looking package compared to the rest of what America offered. It's never been a massive seller overseas. Porsche has a history and a racing presence that Corvette doesn't. Ferrari does as well. Not to say they haven't been present, but a Corvette has never won the 24 Hours of LeMans. They have not been in Formula 1. They don't proliferate in series around the world like Ferrari or Porsche.

So I'm not sure....who do they think will be this market of buyers and how many of them will there be to buy one of 3 variants of a new "Chevy" with a base price of $160k and likely regularly would be over $200k with options for the performance model? Yes, there are people out there with money. Of course there are. But they haven't been buying the NSX in droves. The average Porsche 911 buyer is closer to 62, older than the current average Corvette buyer. To think they will bring in younger blood just isn't realistic to me by having this new car and suddenly reinvigorating people who have never bought one but could afford this price range. The younger buyers with money are there, but there aren't that many of them!

We might be nearing the end of ICE powered vehicles, but to go so far away from their customers in the vain hope that their new car will suddenly have a completely different set of buyers strikes me as failure on the way. They are still Chevy dealerships. My dealer has a great waiting area and for Corvette buyers does offer loaners, but not Corvettes. If you paid $190k for your Corvette and got a base Chevy Colorado as a loaner....it's not like getting a Panamera, Cayman or Cayenne...even a base one. I see complaints on here all the time. While the other brands aren't perfect either by any means, they seem to offer a different purchase and maintenance experience not regularly found at a Chevy dealership.

I love my brand new 2019 Z06....but if they go that expensive I won't likely be buying another. I do well, but I can't see spending that kind of money on a car. I could nearly buy an L-39 warbird and let people pay me to teach them to fly warbird jets and help pay for owning it...and go faster than the C8 could and go upside down, straight up and straight down. And with the radar removed up front, I could likely carry more luggage with me on a trip. I could get a racecar and trailer and go enjoy the track with something made to be there. I could do a LOT of things for that kind of money. So once they've finally snagged me...far younger than the average buyer...they may be telling me soon I have to have a Camaro, one that someone spending $30k to buy one might not know the difference between their car and mine. I don't like having what everyone else does, so telling me I have to have a Camaro is the best way to tell me it's time to move on again after this car if these rumors are true.

Just my .02. Which may not be worth even that
The following 3 users liked this post by RedBaroness:
Fagunza (12-18-2018), Red67John (12-17-2018), Tennis & Golf Nut (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

FYI Camaro getting a ZR1 engine will not make it as fast as a C7 ZR1, a Z06, or probably even a Grand Sport. Camaro is heavier with metal body panels instead of fiberglass, not ideal (50/50) weight distribution (nose heavy), amongst other factors.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 12-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New C8 info from GM Corporate Employee, Camaro getting ZR1 engine.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:34 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

A Secretary would be the first person I would think knows quite a bit - they have to document a lot of inside info for Their bosses

Its like when you want some up front info at the doctors office - you ask the nurse and she usually can tell you if shes willing

No way C8 is going to be starting at 70k imo going to be a lot more than that
Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Deleted

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 12-18-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:45 PM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

I dont care whats in it for a engine still a Camaro day and night difference - like comparing a Mustang to a Corvette - no contest

Quick Reply: New C8 info from GM Corporate Employee, Camaro getting ZR1 engine.