Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 11:48 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Just shooting the breeze..can anyone tell us the replacement cost for a mercedes amg gts engine?

great tech...but how much does it actually cost to replace one of these twin turbo hot V v8 from mercedes benz?

did a quick google and is this accurate for a 2000 mile used engine...? And if so how much is a new one from germany?

https://www.ebay.com/i/253354074254?...176000ffe3ad85

I kind of prefer the cost structure on the possible 520 hp lt1 derivative.

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-25-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Bob Lutz predicts pricing close will be to the C7, higher hp six-figure versions to follow.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/23/...-launch-rumor/
Old 12-25-2018, 11:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Not to sound like a dick...but a 100k miles isnt that much to me as i use these cars as daily drivers....

if i need an lt1 derivative replaced...its like 10 or 12 grand installed tops...

jere is an interesting story about an amg owner getting an estimate on replacing his amg v8...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...mself-at-home/

take your heart medication before clicking on that link
Old 12-26-2018, 12:06 AM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
Christmas facts:

The list of the most Durable auto engines in the world as rated by consumers with the fewest engine problems is absolutely dominated by Dohc engines. I didn’t bother going far enough down the list to find a manufacturer that uses pushrod engines.

The list of the most hp/liter is dominated by dohc engines. Why does this matter? Because the stupid argument that pushrod engines are lighter only works if comparing same displacement.

Some seem to think smaller displacement dohc engines need forced induction to make hp. Um, see Ferrari.

There is A 2004 interview with a GM engineer who claimed that it would cost GM $400 per unit over the price of their pushrod engines to go to dohc. This number did seem of concern though. I’ll look for the interview and post if I can find it.

Merry Christmas!!
Christmas facts:

The list of the most Durable auto engines in the world as rated by consumers with the fewest engine problems is absolutely dominated by Dohc engines
Confirmation bias. Although any list I've ever seen always has GM's pushrod V6 on it. Any unbiased list of performance engines will have GMs SBC(gen1 and gen 3+) on it.

The list of the most hp/liter is dominated by dohc engines. Why does this matter? Because the stupid argument that pushrod engines are lighter only works if comparing same displacement.
hp/l is completely and utterly useless on production cars, and is plain out ricer math. Displacement is basically meaningless in this context and peak HP doesn't tell the whole story. Pushrod engines are lighter even when displacements are not equal. The 6.2L LS3 is lighter and smaller than the 5L Coyote by a good margin:

And before you start trying to quote weights, keep in mind that GM likes to weigh their engines with the 60lbs clutch assembly attached. The LSx family is under 400lbs undressed... That is in the range of smaller displaced aluminum DOHC V6s that make a fraction of the power and are still physically bigger...

Heres another good size example, how about a big ole 6.2L next to a 1.8L I4?

Whoops looks like the pushrod engine is comparable in size while making over double the power and torque.

Some seem to think smaller displacement dohc engines need forced induction to make hp. Um, see Ferrari.
You mean like the 488...oh whoops
But in all seriousness, look at the cost of those NA engines spinning to the moon to make power. Yea I think Ill take the significantly cheaper/smaller/lighter pushrod V8 that only needs to rev to ~6500rpms to make power and doesn't need a rebuild every 20K miles.

There is A 2004 interview with a GM engineer who claimed that it would cost GM $400 per unit over the price of their pushrod engines to go to dohc. This number did seem of concern though. I’ll look for the interview and post if I can find it.
Yea its a CarAndDriver interview where when asked about DOHC engines Winegarden says and I quote: " GM's party line is that some customers want what it calls "high-feature engines." " - in other words BS marketing hype.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-gets-its-due/
The following 3 users liked this post by JD_AMG:
Mikec7z (03-21-2019), rb185afm (01-23-2019), Shaka (12-27-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 01:16 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Not to sound like a dick...but a 100k miles isnt that much to me as i use these cars as daily drivers....
if i need an lt1 derivative replaced...its like 10 or 12 grand installed tops...
jere is an interesting story about an amg owner getting an estimate on replacing his amg v8...
Weird. $57K to REPAIR an engine on a car that's worth $26K?

Tadge mentioned that to replace the fuel gage sensor on a C7 would run about $4K in labor (remove engine/torque tube/transmission to remove gas tank).

Last edited by range96; 12-26-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

My point wasn't price, it was performance per liter.
I guess we got some Rudy Giulianis around here...
Old 12-26-2018, 03:01 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Something you may want to read.
https://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...t5-engine.html

A 7L LT5 would be significantly bigger and heavier (and more expensive) than an LS7.
I got news for u. There are 7L LT-5s right now in Chicagoland, and they aren’t any bigger or heavier than the original LT-5.
And they have blown the doors off an LS-7.
Old 12-26-2018, 06:24 AM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

I got news for u. There are 7L LT-5s right now in Chicagoland, and they aren’t any bigger or heavier than the original LT-5.
And they have blown the doors off an LS-7.
The stock engine is already bigger and heavier than an LS7, thats the point.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:09 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

No one denies HP per liter will be better with a dohc engine. But that is really a meaningless stat if there are no gov regs pushing you that way.

Now in theory you could drop to a v6 NA dohc to make the same PEAK HP as the LT and save a few pounds but now you lost all the low end torque and killed the street driving experience. But the big issue with that is it does not fit the corvette from a marketing standpoint and you will not see GM go this route for the base car. You may see it in the later years with an electric front axle as some hybrid variant along side the base model.

Originally Posted by sunsalem
I guess we got some Rudy Giulianis around here...
Old 12-26-2018, 10:56 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
The stock engine is already bigger and heavier than an LS7, thats the point.
Yes and my point is that increasing its displacement does nothing in terms of “adding” weight. And a 5.7 L LT-5 NA could be built to surpass the output of a 7L LS-7. Oh and it wouldn’t drop any valves either. No need to talk about where the reliability was. The ad above says it all.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 12-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Yes and my point is that increasing its displacement does nothing in terms of “adding” weight. And a 5.7 L LT-5 NA could be built to surpass the output of a 7L LS-7. Oh and it wouldn’t drop any valves either. No need to talk about where the reliability was. The ad above says it all.
How does the weight of the DOHC LT5 compare to the weight of the LSx454 that can handle up to 2500 HP.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
No one denies HP per liter will be better with a dohc engine. But that is really a meaningless stat if there are no gov regs pushing you that way.

FWIW, back-in-the-day I bought new a 1996 Mustang Cobra with a 4.6L DOHC that made 305hp and 305lbs (big numbers for the time).
After some aftermarket exhaust work, it was the most awesome sounding American V8 I have ever heard.
NO govt. regs forced Ford to make that engine back then.

Now in theory you could drop to a v6 NA dohc to make the same PEAK HP as the LT and save a few pounds but now you lost all the low end torque and killed the street driving experience. But the big issue with that is it does not fit the corvette from a marketing standpoint and you will not see GM go this route for the base car. You may see it in the later years with an electric front axle as some hybrid variant along side the base model.
I don't disagree.
Most manufacturers that are doing high-powered hybrids are using small V6 turbos, rather than NAs.
The one that stands out in my mind as an exception is the La Ferrari with its V12.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:33 PM
golden2husky
Burning Brakes

Received 293 Likes on 193 Posts

Lots of good points on the virtues of both valve trains. However, this is going to be GM's halo car and as such it has to match up to the perception of what is the best type of engine design. If you asked a 100 random people (who had an opinion) of which design represents the most forward thinking, the DOHC would be the design selected by the vast majority of them. Regardless of all the virtues of a cam-in-block design, people perceive them as more pedestrian than a DHOC engine and they would likely point to all the supercars that have chosen to have the cams in the head. They won't recall the fact the OHC design dates back 100 plus years. They will recall that as engines evolved the valve actuation moved to the heads. Will GM put a LT engine in the base model? Probably. And you can guarantee that every magazine story will have half a paragraph explaining why that design was chosen. And most people will perceive the car to be lacking a "proper" motor until the "Cadillac" motor becomes available. And by that point the C8 will be yesterday's news. Like it or not, perception is reality.
The following 2 users liked this post by golden2husky:
ConcernedCitizen (12-26-2018), sunsalem (12-27-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 04:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Sales and performance matter more than perception. Keeping Corvette a budget performer has been the key to its continuing success. You just can't sell many $100K 2-seat sports cars, certainly not more than 10-15K annually, worldwide. GM has been incredibly successful w/ a "halo" car starting at around $60K, regardless of the "elite" looking down their noses at its "inferiority." It's gained far more favorable publicity based upon how much "bang for buck" it delivers.

It would make no sense for GM mgmt to deviate from that successful strategy, but it's always possible. I've seen other corporate mgmt. teams lose their collective minds before, and suffer severe consequences as a result.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-26-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:12 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

DENIAL ain’t no river in Egypt Jerri.

https://blog.cargurus.com/2017/02/01...younger-buyers
And whats yours or the articles point??? Truth of the matter is, even though the corvette is a sports car bargain its still a lot of money and most people don't consider spending 50K+ on a car (especially one with only 2 seats) to be practical. So why in the hell are people expecting the younger generation to suddenly/magically hop into a vette. Where i'm at in Shreveport, LA there aren't many young people in vettes let alone a C7. If i drive over to Dallas or Houston I see plenty of young people in the C7 as well as equally or more expensive cars.

For a young person to be driving a vette you need the perfect storm:

1. Need the income
2. Need to not have baggage, i.e. kids, student loan debt, etc.
3. Be into sports cars
4. And if they like sports cars then ACTUALLY like the vette

How the hell does having some particular engine suddenly change any of the above??? Maybe a negligible influence on #4??

Last edited by bgspot; 12-26-2018 at 05:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jefnvk (12-28-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 05:18 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Thats irrelevant.

Never said increasing displacement increases weight, just saying the old LT5 was a big, heavy engine. Still a great engine but Id rather have a smaller, lighter pushrod engine for a sports car. Lower center of gravity, can be mounted lower and closer to the center of the chassis for better weight distribution. Thats what a sports car is all about right? Handling balance and being lightweight? That fits the pushrod V8 perfectly.

FWIW, back-in-the-day I bought new a 1996 Mustang Cobra with a 4.6L DOHC that made 305hp and 305lbs (big numbers for the time).
After some aftermarket exhaust work, it was the most awesome sounding American V8 I have ever heard.
NO govt. regs forced Ford to make that engine back then.
Those cars did sound awesome, unfortunately that's all they did, that lump of an engine was MASSIVE and heavy while making mediocre power. Look at the difference between the old 5.0 and the mod motor when stripped down:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...02vs46dohc.jpg

And look at the difference of the LS7 compared to the terminator V8. A little over 400hp with a supercharger and its massive and heavy while the little LS7 is making 500+hp. Which would you rather have in your sports car? A small lightweight V8 that makes more power or a big heavy V8 that makes less power?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...3&d=1501791986

Sorry the pushrod V8 wins this one again.

Originally Posted by golden2husky
Lots of good points on the virtues of both valve trains. However, this is going to be GM's halo car and as such it has to match up to the perception of what is the best type of engine design. If you asked a 100 random people (who had an opinion) of which design represents the most forward thinking, the DOHC would be the design selected by the vast majority of them. Regardless of all the virtues of a cam-in-block design, people perceive them as more pedestrian than a DHOC engine and they would likely point to all the supercars that have chosen to have the cams in the head. They won't recall the fact the OHC design dates back 100 plus years. They will recall that as engines evolved the valve actuation moved to the heads. Will GM put a LT engine in the base model? Probably. And you can guarantee that every magazine story will have half a paragraph explaining why that design was chosen. And most people will perceive the car to be lacking a "proper" motor until the "Cadillac" motor becomes available. And by that point the C8 will be yesterday's news. Like it or not, perception is reality.
If you ask random people vast majority wouldn't know what a DOHC or pushrod engine is. If you ask the car enthusiast community specifically for V8s, some might say DOHC, but those familiar with the LSx family would say pushrod - look what is now the most commonly swapped engine out there - replacing a TON of DOHC engines. Put those guys that say the like DOHC better in a pushrod LSx car, tell them its DOHC and they wouldn't know the difference - because its irrelevant. What is relevant is real world results, like weight, center of gravity, physical size (being able to mount the engine lower and closer to the center of the car) and the torque curve.

For the base car making ~500hp goal I don't see any advantages in using a DOHC V8 over the LT1. The LT1 will be smaller, lighter (despite the DOHC being smaller displacement, the LSx family is comparable in size to a 4L 1UZ DOHC V8), and cheaper, all of which adding to the result of a better driving sports car. For something like 650+hp and staying NA then sure at that power level a DOHC V8 would be reasonable as it would be tougher making a pushrod engine pass emissions and meet NVH requirements at that kind of power level without going to bigger displacement. But that is at a significantly higher power level and staying NA. Id rather have a lighter TT pushrod V8 for that kind of power.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:28 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

That's crazy money but it doesn't surprise me. A couple years ago I had a 550SL for six months. During that time, it was in the shop 10 times and racked up $22K in repairs.....and these were minor things, not engine or transmission. I sold it before the warranty expired and bought a 2017 GS. I can only imagine what that thing would have cost me if I'd kept it. It was a spectacular car, but a complete POS as far as reliability is concerned.
JerriVette (12-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 12-26-2018, 06:27 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Much cheaper for an OHV motor to be repaired/replaced. I believe I remember somewhere that a Chevy OHV V8 averages 800 fewer parts than a 32V, DOHC TT motor.

BTW, we have seen a C7 invoice that showed $17,000 for a completely new LT1 (including removing of the lunch one, install of the new one). And in comparison an LT4 replacement with a new one is $30K.

Wonder what a C8 Z06 TT, DOHC, 32V motor would cost if a new one were needed? For sure however, less than an exotic’s comparable motor by far.

Last edited by elegant; 12-26-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:22 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

I think the estimate is a little high for a brand new LT1....dry sump

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...29997/10002/-1

and the lt4 is

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...32702/10002/-1 14 grand

Last edited by JerriVette; 12-26-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Much cheaper for an OHV motor to be repaired/replaced. I believe I remember somewhere that a Chevy OHV V8 averages 800 fewer parts than a 32V, DOHC TT motor.

BTW, we have seen a C7 invoice that showed $17,000 for a completely new LT1 (including removing of the lunch one, install of the new one). And in comparison an LT4 replacement with a new one is $30K.

Wonder what a C8 Z06 TT, DOHC, 32V motor would cost if a new one were needed? For sure however, less than an exotic’s comparable motor by far.
I think the estimate is a little high for a brand new LT1....dry sump

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...29997/10002/-1

and the lt4 is

https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...32702/10002/-1 14 grand
Elegants price is installed. But if you blow a motor you will usually not need a complete engine, just a short block, or if really bad a long block. That will be a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Tom73; 12-26-2018 at 10:45 PM.
JerriVette (12-26-2018)

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”