Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
For sure, I think they should off active suspension, and will, I'm just not interested. I'm all about simple, direct so maybe that makes me pretty outdated! Imagine what I'll be like in 25 years if I get to my 70s. Ha

PC
Am already there.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Am already there.
Good for, God bless and keep it light, have fun.

PC

Last edited by Darion; 02-02-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
I'm 32, hardly old. As long as it is putting up the numbers it needs to, which it currently is and I have zero reason to suspect it won't in the future, I couldn't care less if it is DOHC, OHV, a boxer, or a rotary.

Ok, maybe not a rotary. Point is, no, the average Corvette owner doesn't care about the engine internals. I bet the majority of buyers couldn't even tell you what DOHC stood for, let alone what it is. Most care about HP, displacement, and maybe torque, roughly in that order. If you REALLY care that much about a car needing to have DOHC are you willing to defect and buy a Mustang, to put your money where your mouth is?
I'd change that order to:

torque, HP, displacement...
Old 02-02-2019, 02:53 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Think you are missing the point. Lots of whining about the possibility of GM doing a DOHC engine for the mid engine Corvette. The Mustang engine was used as an example because I have the engine, not the Mustang & am somewhat familiar with it day to day on the road. Its also the only mass production American DOHC engine being produced with tens of thousands on the road in trucks & cars.

GM has the Cadillac the 4.2L Twin Turbo V-8 GM estimated at 550 horsepower and 627 lb-ft of torque. Since its a newer design & 4.2L it should be lighter & smaller then mt 5.0L.

GM based on printed patent applications looks to be putting a Chevy derived DOHC in the new Corvette. Just trying to demonstrate that really a good thing. Its not a size & weight killer that the OHV guys are claiming based on my personal experience. Will most likely extend the usable rev range by 1,000rpm at the minimum.

I would also very much disagree that average Corvette owner does not car or is not interested in the topic. Think an Impala buyer would not car but just look at the posts to this site on the subject.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-02-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:55 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

Oh that would be my personal order, but HP is much more easily marketed and bandied about as a baseline.

I would also very much disagree that average Corvette owner does not car or is not interested in the topic. Think an Impala buyer would not car but just look at the posts to this site on the subject.
I was amused to find out there is a Chevy Cruze forum too, where people sit around and talk about their Cruzes. Only a small percentage of any ownership base is going to be an active member of a forum, though, they are not representative of the ownership base as a whole.

Last edited by jefnvk; 02-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Think you are missing the point. Lots of whining about the possibility of GM doing a DOHC engine for the mid engine Corvette.
Not whining, just an awareness that a very old technology (overhead cam) isn't necessarily superior to another very old technology (in-block cam using pushrods). Yes, overhead cams are clearly superior in small displacement engines operating at 9000 rpm and above. Larger displacement engines are more limited by piston speed than valve actuation, and won't have any kind of decent longevity with either method of valve actuation at such high rpm's

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-02-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Not whining, just an awareness that a very old technology (overhead cam) isn't necessarily superior to another very old technology (in-block cam using pushrods). Yes, overhead cams are clearly superior in small displacement engines operating at 9000 rpm and above. Larger displacement engines are more limited by piston speed than valve actuation, and won't have any kind of decent longevity with either method of valve actuation at such high rpm's
Interesting how things work today, we are told it's all about tolerance, accepting all types of view.......right up to the point where ya have a different point of view! Then its whining and not really understanding how you are wrong. I see a smaller displacement TT coming in the ME, fine by me, I just would prefer not to have it, even when it is faster.

PC
Old 02-02-2019, 08:41 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

OK I see now it was the physical dimensions that bother you. Personally I don't care what size the power package as long as it fits the chassis. I have put it into a chassis smaller then the current C7 so its a wash on size since. Hey I even have a trunk.
Blah blah blah you have a kit car, not a production car, don't bother bringing up external dimensions of your kit car to compare to external dimensions of a production car to compare engine bay space, apples to oranges.

Someone is currently trying to swap a Coyote in an old 4th gen Fbody chassis, which is 74" wide ,wider than your kit car, yet IT DOES NOT FIT. The Coyote is literally too wide and they are going to have to cut into the shock tower to get it to fit, yet a 7+L LSX fits with room to spare, and even old big blocks fit with room to spare, yet the "little" 302 doesnt...

As shipped FORD Racing Engines listed the 5.0L engine at 444lbs fresh out of the box. Looks like things you said are not there actually are there straight out of the box which is on the ground to the left. Friction disc, pressure plate, alternator, not included with the engine

The LT1 crate engine on the other-hand does not have a flywheel, clutch, starter etc.
They must be doing it different with the LT1 then as the old LSx's usually always come with flyhweel and clutch at least.

You keep saying that but I don't see how 444lbs is a heavy engine. Maybe to you it is but you have not come up with a weight for the LT1 less clutch & alternator but with a flywheel & starter, so I have no idea what you consider too heavy.
According to GM a fully dressed LT1 is around 465lbs, this was when they did a power point on the C7 when it was new, comparing how the LT1 was lighter than BMWs 4.4L which was over 500lbs. I think its safe to bet the LT1 is under 400lbs undressed just like the LSx's were.

I don't see why it would be any heavier than an LS7.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ls7-crate.html

We don't really know what the C8 power goal is or did you see something?
Do you disagree with the power assumption for the base car?

Yeah but since they can go from 412 to 580 with minor changes in a N/A engine package without going to supercharging why would you not build it?
Cost? Reliability? Emissions? NVH?

So far you have not shown anything material on weight being a major factor since the LT1 has the less equipment then the Coyote at the given FORD weight.
Well have to wait for someone to do a gen V LT1 swap to see what everything weighs since the numbers are not direct yet. Again I think its safe to assume the weight is around the same as the LSx engines though, I don't see why not.

Both physical forms will fit the car so bigger is a BS straw man.
Wrong, and lets not pretend that if it was the other way around you wouldn't be arguing for it.

Summit racing has the FORD Racing 460 BHP Gen 3 (2018) COYOTE for $8499.99 The Chevrolet 460HP LT1 is listed at $9,726.78. No big LT1 price advantage there. Maybe the General should just buy Coyotes from FORD relabel them as ORCA'S & save a $1200 on every C8 sold. They are already doing coop transmissions.
I rather have the $7900 LT1 thats smaller and probably lighter too...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...9997/overview/

Ill give kudos to Ford for FINALLY catching up to GM in building an actual good NA V8, it took them long enough...

Last edited by JD_AMG; 02-02-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:55 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

EDIT: Found this on size by Hot Rod magazine.

This might kill the "its to big stuff". Looks like the COYOTE is 4" wider then a Chevy by a solid 2" on center line.

Ford 5.0-liter DOHC V8:
Length: 26.08 inches
Height: 28.89 inches
Width: 29.05 inches
Weight: 430 pounds (with accessories)

GM 6.2-liter LS3 V8:
Length: 28.75 inches
Height: 28.25 inches
Width: 24.75 inches
Weight: 418 pounds (with accessories)

OK Chevy wins the weight by 12lbs. So the Chevy goes from my original estimate of 21lbs heaver to 12lbs lighter.

0.03 lbs per HP @ 500 HP, Congratulations.

​​​
Looks like they didn't measure head to head for the width of the LS3 like they did the Coyote, to be fair head to head width the LSx should be around 22", you can see here when including the coilpacks and plug wires into width its 23"

The following users liked this post:
Michael A (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Forget size, weight, hp, etc, etc. the bottom line is that the LT1 gets the job done for 80+% of Corvette buyers. And it does it at a very low cost to Chevy.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Blah blah blah you have a kit car, not a production car, don't bother bringing up external dimensions of your kit car to compare to external dimensions of a production car to compare engine bay space, apples to oranges.
Someone is currently trying to swap a Coyote in an old 4th gen Fbody chassis, which is 74" wide ,wider than your kit car, yet IT DOES NOT FIT. The Coyote is literally too wide and they are going to have to cut into the shock tower to get it to fit, yet a 7+L LSX fits with room to spare, and even old big blocks fit with room to spare, yet the "little" 302 doesnt...
I will have to remember not to try to put a Coyote into an old F body thanks for the tip. They do fit Current Mustangs however & 72" wide Kit Cars. They even fit old Mustangs, wonder it the engine is to big or the F-body is just crappy on space utilization.

Looks like they didn't measure head to head for the width of the LS3 like they did the Coyote, to be fair head to head width the LSx should be around 22", you can see here when including the coilpacks and plug wires into width its 23"
Nice try but the outer edge of the Coyote Cylinder head is as wide as it gets. The coil pack & plugs are under the valve covers just like an Elephant Hemi. The plugs are dead center in the 4 valve head. AFAIK the Chevy will not run without coil packs & the wires to connect them to the plugs so you need room in the engine compartment for them. So I will stay with HR's 24.75"

You still have 2" advantage to each side a big deal for retro-moding an F-Body. Think the rear of the Z06 is 77"+ in width, if the new car is similar they should be able to squeeze in a 29" wide engine.

They must be doing it different with the LT1 then as the old LSx's usually always come with flyhweel and clutch at least.
According to GM a fully dressed LT1 is around 465lbs, this was when they did a power point on the C7 when it was new, comparing how the LT1 was lighter than BMWs 4.4L which was over 500lbs. I think its safe to bet the LT1 is under 400lbs undressed just like the LSx's were.I don't see why it would be any heavier than an LS7.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ls7-crate.html
The engines were both weighed by Hot Rod ready to run the Chevy was 12 lbs lighter. In my first post I used the 465lb # for the Chevy. Based on Hot Rod I cut you slack & went with their 418LB number. I also used there 430lb# for the FORD which I found on a number of sites. Point in there is not a big spread in the numbers.

Yes the BMW V8 is over 500lbs. That why I like the I6T

Do you disagree with the power assumption for the base car?
Yes Cadillac is doing 500 in its base vs 550 in its factory tune version of the 4.2 DOHC V8. Would hate to see the new Corvette come out with less power then a Cadillac 4 door sedan.

Cost? Reliability? Emissions? NVH?
You have the cost for a 460HP vs 460HP the Ford is about $1200 less. The 580HP is not out as a crate engine yet its in the 350GT so what ever the Ford car warranty it is. Yes they pass emissions. My crate engine was 24 month 24000 miles full replacement or repair by FORD Performance.

Car has over 10,000 miles on it since March 2015. Went down with a dead fuel pump. Pump was a electric aftermarket unit. Replaced with a T-Rex & has been good to go for the past 18 months. Transmission is a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 3:55LSD. Car passed each year the THSSC track tech inspection & is eligible for their events.

It was EPA emissions legal out of the box but in NCDMV use requirements do not require me to maintain the emissions system & car is not subject to an annual emissions test. The car has no emissions controls. It does maintain its O2 sensor for the engine management system

The car under NCDMV is registered as a 1965. NVH car has headers into side pipes no mufflers.

Well have to wait for someone to do a gen V LT1 swap to see what everything weighs since the numbers are not direct yet. Again I think its safe to assume the weight is around the same as the LSx engines though, I don't see why not.
Weights tend to be pretty flat across a series. Don't see any big change in any of them. Right now the only weight shift for the Chevy & Ford is adding a supercharger. Be interesting to see what the 4.2 Caddy checks in at.

Wrong, and lets not pretend that if it was the other way around you wouldn't be arguing for it.
Actually I would ignore it. Put an original LT1 350/370HP mechanical lifter crate engine into this & had to modify the frame.

I rather have the $7900 LT1 thats smaller and probably lighter too...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/n...9997/overview/
The 435HP Coyote is $6798.99 From Summit Racing

Ill give kudos to Ford for FINALLY catching up to GM in building an actual good NA V8, it took them long enough...
I am sure that will please them to no end. Seriously I think on the engines the key dimension is not the width. Its a mid rear engine & I would be worrying about length for packaging it & the transaxle behind the driver. Right now you have one at each end of the car so its not an issue with it up front.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-03-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:42 PM
Jorge_C6_C4
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree looking forward to the C8 would be nice to get another Corvette. I would like active suspension in the mix. Have in on current cars & comfort mode, makes nice with my wife.
I believe there is only one active suspension Corvette in private hands, this one:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...OTOTYPE-201599

Not a bad deal considering its rarity and history. Do we really think the next car is going to have active suspension?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:08 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jorge_C6_C4
I believe there is only one active suspension Corvette in private hands, this one:

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...OTOTYPE-201599

Not a bad deal considering its rarity and history. Do we really think the next car is going to have active suspension?
The magnetic ride control system of today makes this is an obsolete setup, but interesting nonetheless. Should do well at auction.

Wish I still had my '67 BB 3X2 mechanical lifter 4MT Hooker Side Pipe Coupe. Manual steering & brakes, no A/C to sell there.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-03-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:01 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

In the early 1960's I was driving an American made 2 door sedan that was built in 1946 and had an overhead cam engine with a 2.25" stroke that had a 6,000 RPM redline. My 2009 Corvette overhead valve engine with it's 4.00" stroke has a 7,000 RPM redline.

While my 2009 3175 pound car gets excellent gas mileage, my 1946 1155 pound car got even better.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:41 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Maybe not. The 4.2 Caddy Blackwing is rated at 550 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 627 lb-ft of torque from 3200 to 4000 rpm. Red Line IIRC is 6500. Power drops off around 6,000rpm. Not to shabby for 256CI. The engine is definitely designed (tuned?) for torque rather then power. The 4.4 BMW V8 is 600HP but only 553ft lbs, MB 577HP - 516ft lbs, Audi 605HP - 553ft lbs.

Cadillac says the new 4.2 is actually a little lighter and a little more compact than the LT4. One thing they did do is reduce the bore centers from 4" to 3.7" Can't find if they changed the V angle but it is a Hot-V which removes any exhaust equipment from the outer side of the head.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-03-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
In the early 1960's I was driving an American made 2 door sedan that was built in 1946 and had an overhead cam engine with a 2.25" stroke that had a 6,000 RPM redline. My 2009 Corvette overhead valve engine with it's 4.00" stroke has a 7,000 RPM redline.

While my 2009 3175 pound car gets excellent gas mileage, my 1946 1155 pound car got even better.
You owned a Crosley? Was one on my block when I was in Grammar School in the early 1950's. Saw the Jeep knockoff once at the beach in Seaside Heights NJ. Was a 2 seater with some surfboards on the rear deck. We used to surf Lavallette & Pt. Pleasant.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-03-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Maybe not. The 4.2 Caddy Blackwing is rated at 550 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 627 lb-ft of torque from 3200 to 4000 rpm. Red Line IIRC is 6500. Power drops off around 6,000rpm. Not to shabby for 256CI. The engine is definitely designed (tuned?) for torque rather then power. The 4.4 BMW V8 is 600HP but only 553ft lbs, MB 577HP - 516ft lbs, Audi 605HP - 553ft lbs.

Cadillac says the new 4.2 is actually a little lighter and a little more compact than the LT4. One thing they did do is reduce the bore centers from 4" to 3.7" Can't find if they changed the V angle but it is a Hot-V which removes any exhaust equipment from the outer side of the head.
Blackwing shows incredible promise but I worry it will be plagued by the same reliability problems as BMW's hot V V8s. The concentration of so much heat in the V results in failure of valve stem seals, gaskets, and all nearby hoses. Guys are having them fail at 20K miles and requiring a $10,000 service to replace the valve stem seals. That's if they're lucky - the unlucky one's have them fail after the powertrain warranty expires.

I hope Cadillac thought this through beyond "let's build a hot V like BMW!" That's what they did with the twin turbo V6 and the result was a coarse and unreliable engine that was inferior to the LT1. Stupid management at GM is always ruining their products!

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 02-03-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Shaka (02-05-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 02-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Maybe not. The 4.2 Caddy Blackwing is rated at 550 horsepower at 5700 rpm and 627 lb-ft of torque from 3200 to 4000 rpm. Red Line IIRC is 6500. Power drops off around 6,000rpm.
How is that better than an LT4 or LT5 engine?

What's the advantage of overhead cams if they're only spinning the engine to 6500 rpm? Just to be trendy? The the real advantage of overhead cams comes into play on engines which spin much faster, where harmonics and instability start to be a problem on pushrod valvetrains, like some of the motorcycle engines that spin 8000-13000 rpm.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-03-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:44 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

What's the advantage of overhead cams if they're only spinning the engine to 6500 rpm? Just to be trendy? The the real advantage of overhead cams comes into play on engines which spin much faster
More air in and out means more power per cubic inch. A four-valve DOHC engine will generally provide that air in/air out better than a two-valve OHV will.

A smaller displacement is far more advantageous when it comes to annoying things like: emissions. Again, I'm generalizing here, but the bigger the engine cylinders get, the more crud they put out all through the rev range. So: if you can produce plenty of power to get the car moving at "emissions testing" speeds (likely off-boost or pretty close to it), and then have the boost come in to produce gobs of torque when it's needed, you've got yourself a winner.

I'm not terribly keen on it, but that's where we're headed.

My question is: how is the development cost for this engine going to be amortized? The single most expensive part of a new generation's development is and has always been the engine. And, thankfully, we've had the truck group pay for that for us. That allows us to buy a Corvette for relatively little money, all things considered. Sure the LT1/4/5 engines are a bit different than the SBCs in the trucks, but the base of the engine and most of its development is all there in the truck. Cool. I like that. Affordable Corvettes are a good thing.

What other car besides the Cadillac is thie V8 going into? Caddies certainly don't sell in enough volume to even remotely come close to the needed amortization. And neither do Corvettes, of course. Are they going to plop the base of this new DOHC into a truck at some point? Because if they don't, then the cost of our up-level car with that ****-ant little DOHC is going to sky-rocket.
BEAR-AvHistory (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 01:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You owned a Crosley? Was one on my block when I was in Grammar School in the early 1950's. Saw the Jeep knockoff once at the beach in Seaside Heights NJ. Was a 2 seater with some surfboards on the rear deck. We used to surf Lavallette & Pt. Pleasant.
My grandmother's sister bought it new after the war ended. She drove it back and forth between Little Rock, Arkansas and New York City all the time until she moved to little Rock in the middle 50's. That was a hard trip in that little car. In 1961 she had to quit diving and I bought the car for $50 from her as I needed something with great gas mileage as I was a college student.

Around 1956, my Dad's youngest brother had one of the little 2 seater Crosley Hot Shots. It had water/alcohol injection as it had high compression pistons installed. That was a sight as he is 6'4" and was a real cowboy at that time.

Those Crosley's were the ugliest things around, but I sure had a lot of fun with mine.

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-03-2019 at 02:04 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (02-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”