Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 02-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
LOL, yeah, let's forget about actual advantages and disadvantages, and default to the "everybody's doing it" argument.
https://www.fordnxt.com/news/the-for...ohv-big-block/
Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Ah! An OHV TRUCK motor. Just like the Chevy.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Oh dear! The Cadillac engine IS an OHV engine.

The current Blackwing engine is the 4.2 liter V8. Assigned GM RPO code LTA, the eight-cylinder, Dual-Overhead Cam (DOHC) gasoline engine is the result of a new clean-sheet design. It’s also Cadillac’s first-ever twin-turbo V-8 engine. The Blackwing first launched on the 2019 Cadillac CT6.

The Cadillac Blackwing engine (LTA) is a clean-sheet design that was developed with the goal of delivering exceptional power density. It also introduces various unique design elements developed to balance performance and efficiency with compact, mass-efficient packaging.

GM says

The Blackwing engine is highlighted by the following characteristics:
  • Twin-scroll turbochargers
  • Electronic wastegate control
  • Twin water-to-air charge coolers
  • Twin throttle bodies
  • Direct injection
  • Dual-independent camshaft phasing
  • Active Fuel Management / Cylinder Deactivation
  • Variable-pressure oiling system
  • Stop/start technology
The Cadillac Blackwing engine is available in two versions:
  • A regular-output version making 500 horsepower and 553 pound-feet of torque
  • A high-output variant making 550 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque
Its interesting its built at the Bowling Green performance center. Will give the guys good experience on assembling a modern engine in preparation for the C8.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-07-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I would much prefer a NA motor over something with turbos. CAFE will force the smaller turbo motors but if they can sneak in a few more years of large CI NA motors it would be great.
If you really think smaller turbo engines help CAFE ratings, do some home work. I have followed several direct competitors over the years. The argument just doesn't hold up. Do the most obvious and direct comparison....full size pickup trucks. Look at the Ratings on the Ford Eco Boost Turbo V6 versus Chevy V8. Look at Ferrari Tubos versus a V8. Does not hold up.

I have thought a lot a lot about this over the past few years. The turbo engines make sense in two ways. One is that they have far better low and mid range torque. Two is if you are designing an all new car you can design the car around one type of engine that can be offered in different horsepower ratings.

The Honda Accord is a good example. It was offered with a 4 and a V6. The new generation that came out last year replaced the V6 with a four cylinder turbo. It allows them to design the engine compartment around one basic engine block. It allows for a light car and lower cost.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:52 AM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

If you really think smaller turbo engines help CAFE ratings, do some home work. I have followed several direct competitors over the years. The argument just doesn't hold up. Do the most obvious and direct comparison....full size pickup trucks. Look at the Ratings on the Ford Eco Boost Turbo V6 versus Chevy V8. Look at Ferrari Tubos versus a V8. Does not hold up.
What are the rest of us missing here?

Ford F-150 2.7L V6= 20/26/22 mpg
Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8 XFE = 17/24/19 mpg
Chevy Silverado 2.7L I4 = 20/23/21 mpg
The following 2 users liked this post by TheSenator:
Foosh (02-07-2019), JerryU (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:54 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Oh dear! The Cadillac engine IS an OHV engine.
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
The current Blackwing engine.....
I know. It's still an OHV engine. The Over Head Valves just happen to be operated by overhead cams rather than pushrods.

I get that you have a bonerono for overhead cam engines, just like some guys have a bonerono for large fake b---bs. Neither of these are important to me, or for most other guys.
You are more than welcome to our thoroughly-used high-mileage experimental rejects (both women and engines), if that's what turns you on.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-07-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:04 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TheSenator
What are the rest of us missing here?

Ford F-150 2.7L V6= 20/26/22 mpg
Chevy Silverado 5.3 V8 XFE = 17/24/19 mpg
Chevy Silverado 2.7L I4 = 20/23/21 mpg
The last comparison I saw were the higher output V8s against the 3.5 EcoBoost. I have not seen your numbers. You also have to be sure you are comparing similar configured trucks.

Here is the last one I saw...
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/fi...1545396085.pdf

Last edited by jschindler; 02-07-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:48 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

I know. It's still and OHV engine. The Over Head Valves just happen to be operated by overhead cams rather than pushrods.
Well maybe we can have them just play TAPS as they bury the cam in block (like that one?) engines. Have over 60 years experience with cam in block engines so its a big change for me. Could have always used a FORD or Chevy cam in block engine in the car but chose the future & did one of the first DOHC installs.

Just thinking the 33 FORD's original V8 was a flathead cam in block just like the LT1. The Chevy was a step foward moving to push rods & rocker arms but did not take the next step to over head cams until its Indy Engines. The tech will now trickle down to the C8 moving the cycle along till the next improvement or the end of ICE engines which ever comes first.

We can debate this forever & never change each other minds. Thing is the people who build the cars have made their decision so you can either buy an C8, "V", HONDA Civic, whatever or not. Eventually they will all be DOHC just like they all went from Flatheads, which died around 1953, to OHV. Time & technology continues to move forward.

BTW meant to ask. Did that supercharger in the picture come off a scrapped GM city bus or is it a rebuilt after market one?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-08-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:04 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

The last comparison I saw were the higher output V8s against the 3.5 EcoBoost. I have not seen your numbers. You also have to be sure you are comparing similar configured trucks.

Might be apples to oranges but my normal DD 3.0L DOHC T-6 will knock down 22 city & 31 @ 71mph over the road in a 3600lbs car. Have not run this one but my old one was good for 12.5 @ 114mph Rockingham NC with the same mileage.

C&D tested the base model of my current 3.0L DOHC T-6 & got 37 @ 75 with 12.9 @ 109mph Seems high as I am in the 31/32 range but do have the optional power kit that adds about 12% to the power. A lot of the people think the power numbers are underrated. Have not dynoed the car but the old one was 370rwp on a DynoJet.

Can't imagine with the manufactures getting squeezed by CAFE for mileage & the EPA for emissions that the are not taking their collective best shot at engine efficiency. No point in them doing this while wasting literally billions in development & production upgrades if the existing OHV technology will get the job done at a lower cost.

They have to balance pollution requirements & power produced. Like most things its a trade-off to get the solution that will slip by the government inspectors

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-08-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 PM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I looked at the most fuel efficient power plants listed, that's probably the difference. Those came separately from Motortrend (wasn't a comparison).
This comparison is looking at the highest trim models. Most upper trims limit the power plant choice as well.

I can believe some of the newer V8's are beating the older V6 tech though. Curious to see if the Dodge eTorque program expands with good results.
jschindler (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Very carefully so you don't miss real life please count the camshafts on this Chevrolet Indy Race engine. Trust me its not a COYOTE with Chevy Cam covers.

Formula 1
Indy car series
Odd, its almost as if racing series have strict regulations on what type of engines teams can build and run.

Since we all know thats not the case though, it seems Toyota has jumped on the pushrod trend with their 5.9L Camry engine
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

And would someone please define "better"? I keep reading that DOHC is "better", I've heard scant little objectively showing this other than "more manufacturers use it". If sheer volume is any indication, a Cruze is FAR better than a Corvette.

If a pushrod puts out the same numbers, and is seemingly less conplex and physically smaller, in which objective ways is DOHC better?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
And would someone please define "better"? I keep reading that DOHC is "better", I've heard scant little objectively showing this other than "more manufacturers use it". If sheer volume is any indication, a Cruze is FAR better than a Corvette.

If a pushrod puts out the same numbers, and is seemingly less conplex and physically smaller, in which objective ways is DOHC better?
The DOHC motor can run higher RPM, that part is better.
I had NA V8, DOHC V8 and Supercharged V8 in my Corvettes. While I liked the high revving LT5 ('95 ZR-1), I LOVED the Supercharged LS9.

GM tried a high revving Cam-in-block OHV engine (LS7), and ran into some issues. They replaced that concept with supercharging and it worked for power and torque!

Last edited by range96; 02-07-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Odd, its almost as if racing series have strict regulations on what type of engines teams can build and run.

Since we all know thats not the case though, it seems Toyota has jumped on the pushrod trend with their 5.9L Camry engine
Of course they do its a big show & they want good racing. The 1.6L V6T DOHC F1 engines (870HP) Minimum weight 319lbs & the 2.4L V6T DOHC Indy engine (900HP) minimum weight 248lbs & the 5.9L V8 NASCAR engines (870HP) are all 200mph+ runners. Main difference is the DOHC engines do it with a lot less displacement.

Don't know what a NASCAR engine weights & don't really want to know. Like the DOHC system NASCAR has not yet discovered Aluminum. The Blocks & 2 Valve heads are Cast Iron, just some more reverse Retro Moding. IIRC the Cast Iron 350 Chevy was 575/600lbs. Still remember getting my first set of angle plug alloy heads for a 350 LT1 short block over 40 years ago.

No trend there at best its a reverse Retro-Mod (they pulled the DOHC off) of a Tundra truck engine since the Lexus V8's are 5.0 DOHC & the LFA SuperCar is a 4.8L DOHC V10.

It always takes a little time for NASCAR to catch up with the rest of the world. We don't always get the word in the south. Seems like NASCAR just discovered Fuel Injection on February 26. 2012. Prior to that they were still running Carburetors. Since FI was pretty common in basic passenger cars in the 1980's just give the good old boys a little time to catch up with the rest of the automotive world on current developments.

The good news is since Camry does not offer a V8 in their cars like Chevy & Ford its nice for them to let them run the modified truck engine, guess a two car series is not a good marketing plan.. With Dodge & Nissan coming back in 2020 will be interesting to see what the motor specs are.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-08-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:30 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Of course they do its a big show & they want good racing. The 1.6L V6T DOHC F1 engines (870HP) Minimum weight 319lbs & the 2.4L V6T DOHC Indy engine (900HP) minimum weight 248lbs & the 5.9L V8 NASCAR engines (870HP) are all 200mph+ runners. Main difference is the DOHC engines do it with a lot less displacement.
NASCAR limits the size of the engine air intake to keep power and speed down, using either restrictor plates or "tapered spacers" (different specs for different tracks).
The good news is since Camry does not offer a V8 in their cars like Chevy & Ford its nice for them to let them run the modified truck engine, guess a two car series is not a good marketing plan..
Yup, that's modified for pushrod valve actuation. Their double-overhead-cam version only puts out 471 horsepower!

Last edited by Warp Factor; 02-08-2019 at 10:24 AM.
jefnvk (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Maybe GM will just mostly skip straight to actuated valve control, screw cams all together!

PC

I like cake.

Last edited by Darion; 02-08-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Darion
Maybe GM will just mostly skip straight to actuated valve control, screw cams all together!
That would be neat!

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 02-08-2019, 10:31 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Might be apples to oranges but my normal DD 3.0L DOHC T-6 will knock down 22 city & 31 @ 71mph over the road in a 3600lbs car. Have not run this one but my old one was good for 12.5 @ 114mph Rockingham NC with the same mileage.

C&D tested the base model of my current 3.0L DOHC T-6 & got 37 @ 75 with 12.9 @ 109mph Seems high as I am in the 31/32 range but do have the optional power kit that adds about 12% to the power. A lot of the people think the power numbers are underrated. Have not dynoed the car but the old one was 370rwp on a DynoJet.

Can't imagine with the manufactures getting squeezed by CAFE for mileage & the EPA for emissions that the are not taking their collective best shot at engine efficiency. No point in them doing this while wasting literally billions in development & production upgrades if the existing OHV technology will get the job done at a lower cost.

They have to balance pollution requirements & power produced. Like most things its a trade-off to get the solution that will slip by the government inspectors
You may not realize this because I use a different forum name here, but you and I know each other from the Acura Forum and we have had good conversations. My current car is a 2017 540. I know what you have. The current “40” engine is an amazing engine. BTW, I’m “jjsC6” or other iterations on other forums. I think I’m jjsc5 on the Acura forum.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

You may not realize this because I use a different forum name here, but you and I know each other from the Acura Forum and we have had good conversations. My current car is a 2017 540. I know what you have. The current “40” engine is an amazing engine. BTW, I’m “jjsC6” or other iterations on other forums. I think I’m jjsc5 on the Acura forum.
Hey, great to see you here. Do you also have a Vette or are you looking for one? Agree the 540 is a very nice car & the 3.0 B58 is a very good engine, quick luxury.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-08-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:15 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen
Does anyone else find the reports of the base model C8 getting an upgraded version of the Lt1 with an estimated 500-520hp highly unlikely.

What about the Cadillac derived 4.2l blackwing? Compact design. Built in Bowling Green. Cadillac killing the car it was designed for. 550hp and oh yeah, a reported 500hp detuned version. Sound like that’s your base and GT power plant to me.

Why not showcase your latest tech in the most important car release in decades.?
The LT1 is a fine pushrod engine that has gone as far as GM can with a low pollution engine of that type.

To get a more efficient engine it must have a smaller cid to reduce friction, use double overhead cams so the exhaust and intake valve timing can be altered independently and both can be optimized to get more low end torque and as low pollution as possible, especially in the EPA test, which is where low pollution is most important. The EPA is less concerned about issues at WOT throttle as the percent of time it's there is relatively small for a street driven car. Twin turbo's allow the power to be gained from that smaller cid, lower friction engine while using some of the ~30% wasted energy in gasoline that goes out the exhaust!

The issue of what was on some documents reminds me of the variable aero patent that recently issued that had sketches of a C7! No way is GM was going to allow a sketch of the C8 to leak out via a patent when it makes no difference to the Claims what the sketch references!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”