Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:46 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

On the 6.2L 750BHP Stingray ZR1 at Nurburgring. It was about 28 seconds slower the the non supercharged 6.5 liter DOHC when Chevy pulled the plug & went home. So the 6.2 OHV gets a supercharger the DOHC gets & extra 300cc. The 6.2 supercharged engine comes up 9BHP short. Interesting.

Maybe GM should take a shot at growing some ***** & not worry about selling Mustang & Camaro priced Stingrays. FORD has its pony cars good for the five figure market. So instead of overlaying another car line over the Mustang with a slightly higher top end pricing they went head to head with the world class supercars with a 1000 car run of $500,000 cars. Cars that they would sell you if your application form was up to their standards.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I'm sure you're right BUT that is not why I built it!

Started when I semi-retired 19 years ago. It was do one thing, go 0 to 60 in under 3.5 seconds. Had to swap the car with an 850 double umper and add two 50 cc acclertor pumps with the right pump cams to give a quick shot but dump the full load. Eliminated the rear power valve as at high "gs" off the line it uncovered the opening! Many other things as well but now zero bog or hesitation. It more than met the objective without the Nitrous!

It mostly goes to Shows and although it comes home with a trophy mostly go locally to see my other crazy car friends!

Also almost swapped it with a friend for a good condition original '63 split window! Might just do that!
Very nice car!
Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Started when I semi-retired 19 years ago. It was do one thing, go 0 to 60 in under 3.5 seconds. Had to swap the car with an 850 double umper and add two 50 cc acclertor pumps with the right pump cams to give a quick shot but dump the full load. Eliminated the rear power valve as at high "gs" off the line it uncovered the opening! Many other things as well but now zero bog or hesitation. It more than met the objective without the Nitrous!

It mostly goes to Shows and although it comes home with a trophy mostly go locally to see my other crazy car friends!

Also almost swapped it with a friend for a good condition original '63 split window! Might just do that!
SHARP ride, well done!

PC
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:25 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Why are you attributing that (Lamborgini faster lap time) to overhead cams? Don't you think that the mid-engine, all-wheel-drive, all-wheel steering, active aero, and half-million dollar price tag might have been factors?
Have you considered that The Ring has no mechanism to determine whether or not these cars are actually stock?
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
On the 6.2L 750BHP Stingray ZR1 at Nurburgring. It was about 28 seconds slower the the non supercharged 6.5 liter DOHC when Chevy pulled the plug & went home.
Do you ever feel like you're going in circles?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:35 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Do you have life insurance?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:13 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Started when I semi-retired 19 years ago. It was to do one thing, go 0 to 60 in under 3.5 seconds. Had to swap the carb with an 850 double pumper and add two 50 cc accelerator pumps with the right pump cams to give a quick shot but not dump the full load. Eliminated the rear power valve as at high "gs" off the line it uncovered the opening letting in air and going lean! Also installed a jet extension in the rear bowl. Had to add an oxygen sensor and gauge to find all that! Many other things done as as well but now zero bog or hesitation. It more than met the objective without the Nitrous!

It mostly goes to Shows and although it comes home with a trophy I mostly now go only locally to see my other crazy car friends!

Also almost swapped it with a friend for a very good condition original '63 split window! Might just do that!
Very Nice one JerryU. Who's chassis kit did you use? Mine was a combo of original parts Pete & Jake's chassis/running gear & reproduction parts with a base Gibbon's body. Original LT1 short block & heads

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-19-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Very Nice one JerryU. Who's chassis kit did you use? Mine was a combo of original parts Pete & Jake's chassis/running gear & reproduction parts with a base Gibbon's body. Original LT1 short block & heads

Neat ride. Looks like you have the same repo rubber coated running boards as I do! Great at car shows when small kids stand on the to look in.

Kyle Bond, owner of Gibbon, built the body when they were in business in Darlington SC! Actually a buddy of his from Nebraska did most of the fitting. He had about 15 folks at the time. Kyle did the flames by eye, all under the clear coat!

My chassis is from TCI, all TIG welded. Toured their facility before I picked it. They are in Ontario CA not far from daughter!
Needed a sedan as have the engine set back and it's surprising how little leg room there is in a '33/34 coupe!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-19-2019 at 03:01 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:11 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Do you ever feel like you're going in circles?
No. Not at all. Think my local Chevy dealer Hendrick who is big in NASCAR racing but drives a Porsche 918 a lot might be happy if Chevy stopped going nowhere. He has 44 brand new StingRays on the lot with discounts up to near $20,000 IIRC. Not a very healthy sign for the nameplate.

You are aware that GM sold all of 800 Corvettes in January a C7 record low & its me going in circles, really

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-19-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:22 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

^^^

Bought my early C7 (made September 2013) from Hendrick in Cary. One of the few taking a small amount of money to hold a spot! Been wondering how Rick Hendrick is going to get that 1st C8 as Chevy must have a charity auction before the first production car is built! He paid $1,100,000 for the 1st C7 Coupe and got a deal on the first Vert for an even $1,000,000 as I recall!

Recall when I called the salesman just before pricing was released and asked if I was still #9. He said yep and you'll be #9 unless Jeff Gordon wants one- then your slipping to 10th!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-19-2019 at 03:23 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

No. Not at all. ...
You are aware that GM sold all of 800 Corvettes in January a C7 record low & its me going in circles, really
Going in circles with your arguments.
JD_AMG (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

^^^

Bought my early C7 (made September 2013) from Hendrick in Cary. One of the few taking a small amount of money to hold a spot! Been wondering how Rick Hendrick is going to get that 1st C8 as Chevy must have a charity auction before the first production car is built! He paid $1,100,000 for the 1st C7 Coupe and got a deal on the first Vert for an even $1,000,000 as I recall!

Recall when I called the salesman just before pricing was released and asked if I was still #9. He said yep and you'll be #9 unless Jeff Gordon wants one- then your slipping to 10th!
Expect he will pay whatever it takes to keep the string alive. Good organization to do business with. He has a nice event every year before the VIR Oak Tree Grand Prix. They bring in one of the Porsche GTLM cars & the team drivers for a meet & greet, at his SouthPoint, Durham NC Porsche store, with the customers. Low key event that is a fun way to have Brats, Beer & bench race. He also does a nice spread at the race itself.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-19-2019 at 04:36 PM.
JerryU (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe GM should take a shot at growing some ***** & not worry about selling Mustang & Camaro priced Stingrays. FORD has its pony cars good for the five figure market. So instead of overlaying another car line over the Mustang with a slightly higher top end pricing they went head to head with the world class supercars with a 1000 car run of $500,000 cars. Cars that they would sell you if your application form was up to their standards.
That was never what the Corvette was about, so why do that with the Corvette? There's nothing stopping GM from making a new $500k model that is not a Corvette, why not do that instead and leave the Corvette as it is.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:00 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

And I'm willing to bet they would have still only sold 800 C7s in January if it had a DOHC.
JD_AMG (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
And I'm willing to bet they would have still only sold 800 C7s in January if it had a DOHC.
Correct.

PC
Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

On the 6.2L 750BHP Stingray ZR1 at Nurburgring. It was about 28 seconds slower the the non supercharged 6.5 liter DOHC when Chevy pulled the plug & went home. So the 6.2 OHV gets a supercharger the DOHC gets & extra 300cc. The 6.2 supercharged engine comes up 9BHP short. Interesting.

The Corvette as only a limited edition Chevrolet supecar for a half-mil? ***** or no *****, there is absolutely no business model in which that works for GM. That would amount to $500M in annual sales. Producing just 30,000 Corvettes a year averaging only $80,000 is $2.4 Trillion in sales. I can’t estimate what the profit on either of those would be, but in the long run, GM also annually nets 10s of millions more revenue from servicing, selling replacement and repair parts, and licensing after market goodies for all of the corvettes they can build for a mass market.

The the Ford GT is an updated replica of a classic race car, not a sports car designed and marketed to replace any mass produced Ford product.

Last edited by Red67John; 02-19-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:02 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by Randy Miller
That was never what the Corvette was about, so why do that with the Corvette? There's nothing stopping GM from making a new $500k model that is not a Corvette, why not do that instead and leave the Corvette as it is.
Not sure what the Corvette was supposed to be about. My 57, 62 & 67 where nice looking two seat cars, had a number of nice new technology features, were quick. Then came the 70's & I was gone. Kept the 67 for a quarter century. Never considered another one till I heard about the C8. What I heard was a Mid engined, DOHC Turbo V8 with a 7DCT. Sounded like a great package. Came to this site & its a lot of you can't do this & you can't do that, we need push rods, we need MT, we have tradition, its gotta be cheap. Its got all that stuff now & they can't sell it.

Think its at this point it will not do much more then the Camaro will do for less money. C&D said the Camaro ZL1 1LE's next closest performer is the Corvette Z06 with the Z07 package which costs about $20,000 more. Why a StingRay with a $20K premium to get a better performing car then a Camaro?

As for it would still be selling 800 cars a month with a DOHC I don't think it would because if GM had not ridden the down curve so long they might have already introduced the C8 I had heard about earlier.

Making the Corvette a special car again was just a thought. In the service we were told don't do nothing. Do something even if its wrong is better then doing nothing. Right now GM is doing nothing & they are down to 800 units a month with $17,000 in discounts.

I think they might have painted themselves into a coroner making the Camaro so good. You could see the plan, they were matching FORD model for model with the Mustang. So they went all the way up to a line match with the Shelby GT 500 forgetting FORD did not have a Corvette product line to protect. I don't know what the 2020 GT500 will cost but the GT350R starts in the $71,000 range with the ZL1 1LE pretty much the same.

Could be the price performance squeeze is hurting the Corvette?

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 02-19-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:18 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

..... with $17,000 in discounts.
Where can I find that discount, what dealer?

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom73
Where can I find that discount, what dealer?
https://www.hendrickchevrolet.com/Ve...model=Corvette
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Actually there is only one left. The Viper went out of business, sales volume dropped like what is now happening to the Corvette. So what we have is #9 30 seconds behind the leader. The ZR1 maybe a few seconds faster then the Z06 but Chevy hid the results so we don't know.
I doubt there was any "hiding". All the rumors say they never got a clean lap in because of weather and other cars on the track slowing the car down (probably DOHC cars that were slower )

#1 6.5L DOHC N/A 759BHP VS #9 6.2L Supercharged OHV 641BHP Z06

You still questioning DOHC vs OHV? The Aventador was able to get around the ring 30 seconds faster with DOHC cylinder heads & no forced induction.
Absolutely. That MASSIVE, HEAVY DOHC V12 wouldn't come anywhere near fitting in a Corvette, where as the OHV LT5 would fit with room to spare in the Lambo and likely save considerable weight making the car all around FASTER. Power to WEIGHT and PHYSICAL SIZE are what matters, pushrod wins again.

Ill ask again why would it matter to you if the Corvette got a DOHC V8 making the same power as their pushrod V8? Why can't you answer the question?
Old 02-19-2019, 09:28 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red67John
The Corvette as only a limited edition Chevrolet supecar for a half-mil? ***** or no *****, there is absolutely no business model in which that works for GM. That would amount to $500M in annual sales. Producing just 30,000 Corvettes a year averaging only $80,000 is $2.4 Trillion in sales. I can’t estimate what the profit on either of those would be, but in the long run, GM also annually nets 10s of millions more revenue from servicing, selling replacement and repair parts, and licensing after market goodies for all of the corvettes they can build for a mass market.

The the Ford GT is an updated replica of a classic race car, not a sports car designed and marketed to replace any mass produced Ford product.
Not sure what GM's take is but think you are way high even at the retail level. Hendricks 44 cars average out to quick look about $63K. Might not be accurate but he only lists about 6 of the 44 cars a $80 or more. So GM's price to the dealer has to be less then that. Yeah its a high volume business model but its no longer doing high volume product

Last time GM made 30,000 Corvettes was 2015 Going back to 2004 they got there 4 more times. Since 2015 33,32 29,995 25,079 18,789 800 (9,600) Why should the numbers turn around without fresh product? If FORD can sell a complete 5.0 4 cam 32 valve 460 BHP engine in a box for $8500 retail through a speed shop how much could one that might make it look more attractive add to the C8's cost?

The Stingray supercar was a thought in a different direction I don't think they can sell $500,000 cars because the GT is the Corvette is not.

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”