Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 12:30 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Learn how to quote.

Originally Posted by JerryU
I'll keep repeating why small cid engines are more efficient for the other ~80,000 folks who viewed this thread and may again as you obviously elect not to understand!
Don't tell me, SHOW ME. Find me a performance car with around the same weight, same high power output, and number of gears and one with a significantly smaller displaced engine than the other and with a significant increase in gas mileage.

My Answer: I've told you a number of times but you don't listen or what to understand:
  • Smaller cid's have less friction, less surfaces for the friction, pistons on walls and bearings.
  • The smaller cylinders have less surface to conduct the hot combustion gas into the cars coolant- That's ~30% of a ICE wasted energy.
Clearly this is going no where because you don't seem to know anywhere near as much as you want to believe you do. So ill ask this, why don't we have 100cc engines powering modern cars then?
What you keep failing to understand is in a performance application a smaller displaced engine making the same power as a larger displaced engine is not only going to be working harder (using more gas) but will also likely be geared more aggressively to compensate for the lack of low end torque it will have and the higher RPMs it has to spin. That is another thing that will hurt its gas mileage. Why does the S2000 get such lousy gas mileage despite being a 2L I4 making only 240hp? The Corvette of the time using 5.7-6L V8 gets better gas mileage, WHY IS THAT?

• Independent control of intake and exhaust timing takes tow overhead cams that allow optimizing mpg when cruising and max power at higher rpm.
  • Turbo's use some of the exhaust energy, which is another ~30% of a ICE wasted energy. When someone questioned, he was surprised when I quoted the WWII compond tubo's that AFTER a turbo boosted the intake pressure to all that was needed, the exhaust went through other turbos that delivered 500 hp on take off and 250 cruising directly to the prop. Google compound turbos you'll see they are being developed to make more efficient engines.
AGAIN, this has NOTHING to do with displacement, stop repeating it.

My Answer: BS!
Proof?

You have no idea how F1 works! Mercedes, Ferrari etc are major players in defining the rules. If Ferrari thought NA large displacement engines, which are cheaper to build, would provide equal mpg or even close they would get that in the rules- BUT they are much smarter and understand automotive science, thermodynamics, heat transfer etc!
F1 forced the limited the displacement, not Ferrari or MB. F1 was wanting to use 4 cylinder and the teams were opposed to it. Lets not pretend like Ferrari truly cares about the environment and decided to make F1 cars more gas efficient because of that.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:51 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I'll keep repeating why small cid engines are more efficient for the other ~80,000 folks who viewed this thread and may again.
Assuming that's correct for a moment, just for the sake of argument: While some Corvette buyers care a lot about fuel economy, how many of them would make a purchasing decision on a 1 or 2 mpg difference one way or the other? My guess would be pretty close to zero.

You have no idea how F1 works! Mercedes, Ferrari etc are major players in defining the rules. If Ferrari thought large displacement engines, which are cheaper to build, would provide equal mpg or even close they would get that in the rules- BUT they are much smarter and understand automotive science, thermodynamics, heat transfer etc- and their own test results!
If Mercedes and Ferrari are the most experienced at getting the most power out of small displacement engines, it only makes sense that they would try to leverage the rules to take best advantage of this in F1.

This is rather unrelated to production cars, where displacement restrictions do not apply.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

It looks as though the implication is being made that because F1 cut out refueling that they doubled efficiency going V6 turbo at 1.6L compared to the V8 NA 2.4L. Thing is that's not how it worked, refueling was banned in 2010 and they were still using the V8 at the time. Teams were required to increase the capacity of the fuel cell to accomadate the changes, that tank essentially doubled in size.

2014 came the switch to the V6 turbo and fuel regulations changed which would require that they use as much as 60% less fuel. Max rpm dropped from the V8, 19k to 15k, fuel flow rates were capped and power initially dropped, Kers was added. Today they are back in the power and still on smaller amout of fuel with a small bump in capacity this year.

So what does it all mean, not much really, these are F1 engines after all and no main stream manufacturer is doing what they do with engine tech and expense.

PC
The following 2 users liked this post by Darion:
JD_AMG (03-17-2019), Warp Factor (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Typo.
The point is the gas mileage is coming from the fact they are making less power and less rpm AND have the addition of the KERS, NOT just because the displacement is lowered.
Lol, ok, I was just clearing up that the numbers ya used were not current where HP is concerned or accurate for size. I think for the purpose they run, 5 to 6 mpg is pretty damn good. Haha, most of the greenies dont agree though.

PC
Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
It looks as though the implication is being made that because F1 cut out refueling that they doubled efficiency going V6 turbo at 1.6L compared to the V8 NA 2.4L. Thing is that's not how it worked, refueling was banned in 2010 and they were still using the V8 at the time. Teams were required to increase the capacity of the fuel cell to accomadate the changes, that tank essentially doubled in size.

2014 came the switch to the V6 turbo and fuel regulations changed which would require that they use as much as 60% less fuel. Max rpm dropped from the V8, 19k to 15k, fuel flow rates were capped and power initially dropped, Kers was added. Today they are back in the power and still on smaller amout of fuel with a small bump in capacity this year.

So what does it all mean, not much really, these are F1 engines after all and no main stream manufacturer is doing what they do with engine tech and expense.

PC
It's NOT that they can't refuel that makes them use half the gas they did before! Here is some real data in statements some form a few years ago and it's gotten even better! BTW the short term (~6 seconds) KERS is mostly used for passing in a few Track sections and NOT the reason:
  • What makes the F1 cars so green is their thermal efficiency. While road cars have been stuck around 30% thermal efficiency, Formula One Cars have exceeded 45% and are continuing to improve.
  • Formula 1 cars have gotten much more efficient than the cars of 2002, let alone 1952. In 2002, cars were 3.0L V10's, and refueling was allowed.
  • As of the 2014 season, all F1 cars have been equipped with turbocharged 1.6-litre V6 engines. Turbochargers had previously been banned since 1988. This change may give an improvement of up to 29% fuel efficiency
  • (This quote is probably translated from German!) Every might know about thermodynamic efficiency of engine from school days they say its 15-20% during those days. During 2015 Mercedes Engineers have achieved 45 % and their target was 50 % for this season. ( ie 50 percent of energy from fuel is delivered to the engines crankshaft. To note it was 29% in 2014 season all the three engines where V6 1.6 liter engines.
I quote the last "probably translated from German" as, in addition to the awkward English, it notes from School Days they knew 15 to 20% efficiency. Not in the US as we don't have many studying science- many do in Germany!

Yep regardless of the foolish info expounded by some posters, large cid engines are NOT as efficient as smaller ones and insisting on "round taillights" will just get EV's here sooner! Fortunately GM is smarter than that!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:08 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Think the choice for racing versions of the street cars almost does not matter. At a couple of Porsche meet & greets in comjunction with the Oak Tree Grand Prix had a chance to talk to Earl Bamber and Nick Tandy who drive for Porsche. The cars are so heavily penalized to make them all equal (for better closer racing) that most have a lot less power then the cars that are sold at the dealerships. Restrictor plates, ballast etc. have made sandbagging an art form.
Speaking of Nick Tandy he just was on the podium at the Sebring 12 Hours where Porsche finished 1st. FORD & Chevy also were on the podium with a 2nd & 3rd place finish. BMW's new 4.0L DOHC V8 powered M8 finished 4th. Nice to see all our brands mixing it up.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-17-2019 at 02:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 02:25 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Speaking of Nick Tandy he just was on the podium at the Sebring 12 Hours where Porsche finished 1st. FORD & Chevy also were on the podium with a 2nd & 3rd place finish. BMW's new 4.0L DOHC V8 powered M8 finished 4th. Nice to see all our brands mixing it up.
And the LS powered Cadillac's went 1, 2, 3, overall and DPI class
JD_AMG (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 02:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I think you said you'd rather have an EV. That is where you and I are direct opposites, I would not have one! I'll keep driving my Street Rod with it's 502 cid pushrod NA BB that gets ~10 mpg regardless of gas cost! When AOC and 100+ plus others are finished lets see where that price ends. Bet closer to $10/gallon as Europe! The ICE has a way to go to waste less energy or we will be driving EV's! I'm voting for more efficiency!

Yep, F1 is using a 1.6 Liter turbo engine getting 800+ hp and have decreased their gas use by over 50% and beating track speeds. No refueling allowed or needed for the same length race! Watch the race in Australia in the morning and see it in real time!!

PS: If you think I spend the time to convince you of the reasons and science- I don't! Probably no hope. It's the ~86,000 silent majority who have viewed this thread not some of the ~400 vocal minority who have posted that may appreciate why we'll be getting a more efficient, double overhead cam, 4 valves/cylinder, twin turbo Blackwing engine in the C8! That with a KERS hybrid and Stop/Start will help put put off EVs! Like not having round taillights- most will accept the change!
Please post up Steve Carlisle's obituary when it hits the newspapers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp

As to "friction". my 7L Z06 with it's eight cylinders runs at~1600 RPM when I'm driving a 70 MPH on the highway and I'm getting 29-30 MPG.

My 2.3L four cylinder daily driver has to run at 2800 RPM at 70 MPH to get the same speed and fuel economy.

Do you think that running the 4 banger at nearly twice the RPM has anything to do with the amount of losses due to friction in the amount of work done each mile traveled?

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-17-2019 at 02:43 PM.
JD_AMG (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

It's NOT that they can't refuel that makes them use half the gas they did before! Here is some real data in statements some form a few years ago and it's gotten even better! BTW the short term (~6 seconds) KERS is mostly used for passing in a few Track sections and NOT the reason:
  • What makes the F1 cars so green is their thermal efficiency. While road cars have been stuck around 30% thermal efficiency, Formula One Cars have exceeded 45% and are continuing to improve.
  • Formula 1 cars have gotten much more efficient than the cars of 2002, let alone 1952. In 2002, cars were 3.0L V10's, and refueling was allowed.
  • As of the 2014 season, all F1 cars have been equipped with turbocharged 1.6-litre V6 engines. Turbochargers had previously been banned since 1988. This change may give an improvement of up to 29% fuel efficiency
  • (This quote is probably translated from German!) Every might know about thermodynamic efficiency of engine from school days they say its 15-20% during those days. During 2015 Mercedes Engineers have achieved 45 % and their target was 50 % for this season. ( ie 50 percent of energy from fuel is delivered to the engines crankshaft. To note it was 29% in 2014 season all the three engines where V6 1.6 liter engines.
I quote the last "probably translated from German" as, in addition to the awkward English, it notes from School Days they knew 15 to 20% efficiency. Not in the US as we don't have many studying science- many do in Germany!

Yep regardless of the foolish info expounded by some posters, large cid engines are NOT as efficient as smaller ones and insisting on "round taillights" will just get EV's here sooner! Fortunately GM is smarter than that!
When I was in the Air Force in the early- mid 1960's one of our airmen(E-1) had a 1955 MG TF two seater sports car. It had a cast iron 1.5L 4 banger with 63BHP and 76 lbs-ft of torque.

He swapped in a 1962 all aluminum 3.5L V8 from a wrecked Oldsmobile F85. It had 155 BHP and 230 lbs-ft of torque. He also used a B-W T-10 4 speed from a wrecked Corvette C1.

I doubt the weight of the car changed much , if any. I suspect that the aluminum V8 with the T-10 weighed less than the cast iron L4 with the heavy 4peed it originally came with.

I never asked him a about his before and after gas mileage, but I can sure guess what his response would have been(gas prices ranged from 17 cents a gallon(price wars) to 31 cents a gallon back then.

I do know he could lift the front wheels off the ground when he shifted into 2nd gear, even though he still had the original wire wheels with the skinny width original tires on the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-17-2019 at 03:06 PM.
JerryU (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

England's Rover bought the F-85's 215CI tooling to use in its sedans and Land Rover off-road vehicles. I ran a Morgan +4SS which was a modified Triumph engine. They also produced a +8 version which had the Buick 215CI twin of the F-85 engine. The 215 was very popular in its day as a transplant into small European cars.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-17-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:18 PM
Darion
Safety Car

I'll take LT2 for the win Alex!

PC

Oh and no extra BS like axel lift, moving aero, electric doors, over the top sound deadening, start stop, lane departure, cylinder deactivation, active suspension, ect. Lol
Old 03-17-2019, 05:05 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Please post up Steve Carlisle's obituary when it hits the newspapers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp

As to "friction". my 7L Z06 with it's eight cylinders runs at~1600 RPM when I'm driving a 70 MPH on the highway and I'm getting 29-30 MPG.

My 2.3L four cylinder daily driver has to run at 2800 RPM at 70 MPH to get the same speed and fuel economy.

Do you think that running the 4 banger at nearly twice the RPM has anything to do with the amount of losses due to friction in the amount of work done each mile traveled?
This is what I've been telling him but it doens't seem he can grasp this concept.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Friction losses are area dependent and probably higher at higher rpm but my guess not in proportion. GM has the numbers.

The surface area conducting combustion gases into the coolant (where ~30% of the energy is wasted) are much more dependent on area.

GM and other manufacturers know the numbers and they produced the 2.7 Liter double overhead cam turbo engine for the Silverado (585,000 sold in 2018) because of efficiency. That is why engines in most parts of the world are smaller, not that they like the buzz!

Only in the US are we enamored with big cid- like my 502 cid! If building a Street Rod today would use the 572 cid crate engine!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-17-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep regardless of the foolish info expounded by some posters, large cid engines are NOT as efficient as smaller ones....
Unfortunately, your F1 examples have failed to furnish evidence for that claim. Sure, F1 engines became more fuel efficient, after the rules required that they do so. The engine displacement reduction was a separate rule requirement, mostly to prevent the cars from going so fast that too many people got killed.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:06 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

It is interesting how F1 is being referenced so much here. So much so that it sounds like F1 is the be all, end all. We must remember that the F1 engines are pure race engines designed to meet specific rules/guidelines. They are not at all streetable. Once you made them streetable you would would probably lose any advantage that they may have had.

Commentary: F1 is so regulated that there is basicly no difference in the top cars/teams. Almost no way to innovate. Their races are nothing more than follow the leader around the track with very little passing/position changes among the lead cars. And the races are so short that they are basicly an extended sprint. Everything depends on qualifications and getting off the starting line.

I watched the Australian race list night. The front four, 1 through 4, on the first lap was the same at the finish line. May as well run a green/white/checker and be done with it.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Friction losses are area dependent and probably higher at higher rpm but my guess not in proportion. GM has the numbers.

The surface area conducting combustion gases into the coolant (where ~30% of the energy is wasted) are much more dependent on area.

GM and other manufacturers know the numbers and they produced the 2.7 Liter double overhead cam turbo engine for the Silverado (585,000 sold in 2018) because of efficiency. That is why engines in most parts of the world are smaller, not that they like the buzz!

Only in the US are we enamored with big cid- like my 502 cid! If building a Street Rod today would use the 572 cid crate engine!
European registration fees are higher for vehicles with higher displacement engines. That's why they like smaller engines, it has nothing to do with a smaller engine being inherently superior to a larger engine.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
European registration fees are higher for vehicles with higher displacement engines. That's why they like smaller engines, it has nothing to do with a smaller engine being inherently superior to a larger engine.

Also when discussing supercars, gas mileage and gas costs have no meaning. They move in a world that most of us can only dream about. The manufacturers are only reacting to government regulations.

Last edited by Tom73; 03-17-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 03-17-2019, 06:16 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I welcome the diversity.

Getting tired of the same old...Europe/etc does it like this, we should, too. F that!
Warp Factor (03-17-2019)
Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Friction losses are area dependent and probably higher at higher rpm but my guess not in proportion.
I think you're starting to get closer to where you need to be. Friction losses are roughly area dependent, increasing at a 1:1 ratio. Hydrodynamic losses are very different, increasing with the square of speed! Double the rpm, and the drag increases four times!
This is an important distinction, since there is practically no metal-to-metal contact in a modern engine, during operation. In other words, there is next-to-no "friction" at operating speeds. The parasitic drag is due to the moving parts operating in an oil film, and the fluid or hydrodynamic drag which comes from that.

That's why there is so much emphasis on the use of lower-viscosity oils these days. They reduce hydrodynamic drag (thus increasing power and fuel economy). as long as they don't get so thin that they result in metal-to-metal contact.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-17-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:53 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I think you're starting to get closer to where you need to be. Friction losses are roughly area dependent, increasing at a 1:1 ratio. Hydrodynamic losses are very different, increasing with the square of speed! Double the rpm, and the drag increases four times!
This is an important distinction, since there is practically no metal-to-metal contact in a modern engine, during operation. In other words, there is next-to-no "friction" at operating speeds. The parasitic drag is due to the moving parts operating in an oil film, and the fluid or hydrodynamic drag which comes from that.
Absolutely right - big displacement and low piston velocity is the way to efficiency, not small pistons and high rpm. Ferrari 3.0L DOHC V-12's sing like Pavorati, but are really not very efficient. That is why BIG power (ships, locomotives, trucks) goes with large displacement in-line engines, usually I-4's and I-6's.

With regard to waste heat, force on the crank is driven by pressure on the piston head, That pressure is result of the total volume of air and fuel per stroke. The wall thermal transfer area goes up by the square of the piston diameter and the circumference times the stroke (also a squared number). The volume of combustion gas and thus motive force is a function of the cube of these dimensions. Hence, all other things being equal, a larger piston is thermally more efficient than two smaller ones of the same displacement, even if frictional losses are the same.

OK, so why is the new Silverado 2.7L more efficient than the 5.3L V-8 it is replacing ? Answer is the turbo which increases volumetric efficiency and compression ratio, and the the fact that it is an I-4 which means large pistons. Large turbo I-4's are the future, gents. Couple a 3.0L I-4 with an integral starter generator and a big battery, and you have the IC engine of the future, including Corvette. The DOHC V-8 solves no problems and just adds cost and weight.

Last edited by dcbingaman; 03-17-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”