Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 12:14 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Looks like this is settled. The C8 will come (at least initially) with a "LT2" engine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ngray-z51.html
Thread deleted.

Who posted the thread?
Old 03-22-2019, 12:18 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
Drifting

Received 702 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The CT6 that will be made and sold in China will not have a 500 HP or 550 HP Blackwing V8. It will have a turbo 2.0L 4 banger and two 100 HP electric motors for a combined 335 HP and 432 lb-ft of torque. At this point the CT6 will not be made in America after the American assembly plant is shutdown. GM is looking a maybe exporting the Chinese built CT6 back to the USA, but it's up in the air right now, due to tariffs, etc.

The CT6 never got off the ground in US sales, thus is being dropped in the USA. The few CT6's to be available with the Blackwing V8 are a drop in the bucket in sales. Meaningless to the bottom line. Cadillac sells ~150,000 in the USA out of ~350,000 total worldwide.
Lot like Buick. GM's second biggest brand & its biggest in China. Don't know the '18 numbers but '17 looked like 1.4 million units. China dominates Buick sales the U.S. was only 219,231 units in 2017. So you are looking at 1.2 million cars being sold elsewhere.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-22-2019 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Help me understand why manufacturers dont just go with the highest technology and then charge people for it.

Just throwing a wild idea out, and then tell me why it would not work...
you know how many ferrari and lambo and mclaren owners would say... "alright, i want the 1500hp vette please."

I say 1500hp because it would come with smaller turbos or maybe a massive blower... but its capable of producing over 4000hp if a customer wanted to go crazy with it with different power adders, fuel systems, and transmissions later.

Why couldn't GM do that and put themselves in first place and make everyone's jaws drop?
Because the point everyone that thinks this way is missing? Supercar owners don't own cars strictly on performance, but rather on the fact they are luxury goods that display wealth. The ZR1 already beats a handful of supercars in power at a much lower budget, people simply don't want it. Why? Because at the end of the day, Chevy simply doesn't have the prestige and cache (or fit and finish) that McLaren or Ferrari has. Dodge wasn't stealing supercar owners with the Demon, despite it being the only production car this side of a million bucks in the 800HP range.

Until you get into the silly Konigsegg/Bugatti multi-million dollar car HP wars, raw HP numbers aren't even that big of a deal to such owners. The complete car is far more important than 0-60, which is still a very American thing. Not to mention, Konigsegg and Bugatti are already within spitting distance of 1500hp, you wouldn't even really be first.

As far as performance, look at racing sports cars if you don't believe raw power doesn't matter as much. Most of them aren't besting 600hp even in the top classes. Spectators driving Corvettes to IMSA races or Camaros to NASCAR races now have more power under their hood than the race car variants do, but the road versions certainly aren't more capable machines.

and it is EVIDENT that the chinese MUST HAVE THE BEST... AT ANY COST...

Then guess how important it is that a corvette has a smaller motor? Zilch.

The rarer a car is in china, the more the chinese want it. The reason they dont like vettes, is not because of the motor size.. it is because THEY ARE NOT RARE and they think the interiors are NOT LUXURIOUS ENOUGH.
Chinese will pay 100% import tax on a car if they like the interior... they hate vettes because BMW and Aston Martin put a vette to shame on the inside.... and if they want big power, then they want ferrari, lambo, or mclaren, etc.

They think vettes are junk.
Which goes to what I was saying above. People want the Corvette to be something it is objectively not. It has always been a car in the range of most of the population that punches well above its weight, and those cost savings come from the fact it is not, and never has been, a luxury vehicle. It is never going to be seen as a competitor to a supercar on anything but a track/performance level, and the number of people buying solely on that criteria are minimal.

As far as it having a smaller motor for China, yes, that matters a lot to anyone who wants to do business in China. There is indeed a burgeoning middle class in China that opens a LARGE market to automakers. Just because the millionaires have the cash to buy Ferraris, does not mean the working class does. Car makers not named Ferrari make far more money off their base, bread and butter, models than their halo cars.

And personally, I still think if folks want to keep the C7 alive, you should cheapen up the interior, toss a hot turbo I4 in it, and price it in the mid-high $20s to compete with the BRZ and Miata and get younger folks on the ownership ladder.
The following 2 users liked this post by jefnvk:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-22-2019), Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

the way the chinese laws work, last time i checked, a car has to be built in china to not be taxed to death...

and once the car IS built in china, china has free reign to copy ANY and ALL ideas and technology and build their own, without negative consequence.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2008/12/19/b...nese-x5-clone/

So GM has no intention of making a corvette in china. Thus it having a smaller engine cylinder count is pointless.

GM is okay if china copies the buick and its technology... its a sacrifice they are willing to make.

And as far as the 1500hp vette goes, all GM would have to do is step up the interior another couple notches, and it would be game over.

People want a warranty on the cars. Ferrari, buggatti mclaren... they have dealers in china... so does GM. A Hennessey Vette has no warranty in china. A 1500hp vette from GM does have a warranty in china.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Lot like Buick. GM's second biggest brand & its biggest in China. Don't know the '18 numbers but '17 looked like 1.4 million units. China dominates Buick sales the U.S. was only 219,231 units in 2017. So you are looking at 1.2 million cars being sold elsewhere.
The "biggest dog" in Chinese politics, and the most powerful person in the nation started driving a Buick about ten years ago. Since then, Buicks have been very popular in China. Go figure.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Looks like this is settled. The C8 will come (at least initially) with a "LT2" engine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ngray-z51.html
Those images were of the 2020 build and order sheets for the c7 warp
Old 03-22-2019, 03:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Thread deleted.

Who posted the thread?
There's more information and discussion of that thread, and speculation on why it was deleted, here:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...54556-wow.html

My guess is that it was an accurate leak, since it disappeared so quickly. Wild speculation and inaccurate information threads seem to have a long life.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

right, because they dont want to mess up c7 sales for the next 45 days before the new c7 2020 is released.

Someone at GM will be fired for this one, its going to cost the company over a million dollars, no question.

This is why i did not give up my friends name or position who told me last sunday that the c7 would be in 2020 and be different than the c7s prior.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Those images were of the 2020 build and order sheets for the c7 warp
I can't rule that out. The DCT and the LT2 suggest that it's a new car though. However, the the LT2 doesn't show on the order sheet. The DCT does.

Hard to figure that GM would produce a DCT for a mid-engine C8, and another of very different configuration for a front-engine C7 (since high-volume of a part is what keeps the price down), unless GM is planning on producing both for a while
Old 03-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Dpriceslc
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 85 Posts

I can't rule that out. The DCT and the LT2 suggest that it's a new car though. However, the the LT2 doesn't show on the order sheet. The DCT does.

Hard to figure that GM would produce a DCT for a mid-engine C8, and another of very different configuration for a front-engine C7 (since high-volume of a part is what keeps the price down), unless GM is planning on producing both for a while
Yes, the LT2 does show on the order sheet.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:25 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dpriceslc
Yes, the LT2 does show on the order sheet.
Oh, you're right. My mistake.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The same DCT transaxle can be used for a front engine and a mid engine car. On the front engine Corvette, just lengthen the torque tube/prop shaft as the transmission would be mounted behind the differential, as in the mid engine, instead of in front of the differential as in the current C5/C6/C7.

It would take a new design exhaust system as the location of the mufflers in the C7 is where the DCT transmission would be mounted. That is minor, but would require a new rear fascia as the exhaust outlets would need to be located at the edges instead of in the middle of the rear bumper. Needs a new design rear fascia anyways.

This is the AMG Gt with it's front engine, torque tube and DCT, with the transmission behind the differential. On the mid engine, the engine would just be relocated behind the driver and bolted directly to the DCT without a torque tube.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-22-2019 at 04:36 PM.
BEAR-AvHistory (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 04:38 PM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

Received 988 Likes on 297 Posts

Old 03-22-2019, 05:18 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

you are ignoring the obvious, they already produced the transmissions, and/or the tooling and assembly line and factory workers are all ready to produce them... but the c8 was late to the party... so they can either shut down their transmission plant, or if its outsourced, they can sit on 20,000 transmissions that they already paid for, sit on those for the next year and let them rot...

or they can make a bunch of money from releasing a c7 to people who think the dct is god's other forgotten son, and think it is going to make the vette that much better, and run out and buy one since the miracle has finally occurred.

The goal is to make money, not make pretty cars for a few years, and lose money and go out of business

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-22-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

you are ignoring the obvious, they already produced the transmissions, and/or the tooling and assembly line and factory workers are all ready to produce them... but the c8 was late to the party... so they can either shut down their transmission plant, or if its outsourced, they can sit on 20,000 transmissions that they already paid for, sit on those for the next year and let them rot...

or they can make a bunch of money from releasing a c7 to people who think dct is gods other forgotten son, and think it is going to make the vette that much better.

The goal is to make money, not make pretty cars and lose money.
The DCT will make the C7 faster accelerating if it is half as good as the PDK. Should improve fuel economy too. Plus, GM needs real world testing before it goes into the ME.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

look up the stats of how many v6 x5 from the year 2011 to 2013 went to china... it was OVER 90% of our bmw x5's. Same for v8 autobiography rovers. Same for GL 350 and 450 suv, and porsche cayennes.

My point is... if 90% of our cars sold in the usa, are leaving our country, and being bought by the chinese, ON TOP of what the chinese dealers sell them as well....
Whoa, I think you missed my point completely and took something that wasn't there and ran with it.
All I was saying was that those companies have switched to a 2L I4 turbo engine to give them a tax advantage when selling in China. And it would be silly for them to build an engine specifically for China so they mass produced them and use them everywhere as well.
I was in no way, shape or form saying the Corvette should downsize in displacement and in fact I've been saying the opposite thing this whole time. I never said or implied anything about the Corvette selling in China or how GM would/should approach that.

Then guess how important it is that a corvette has a smaller motor? Zilch.
Couldn't agree more. With something that is a limited production car like a Corvette compared to something like a Chevy Cruize or whatever, the tax on the car wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal. However with some mass produced cheap car like a cruize they would want as much of a price (tax) advantage as possible so downsizing the engine would be an easy way to do that.

The rarer a car is in china, the more the chinese want it. The reason they dont like vettes, is not because of the motor size.. it is because THEY ARE NOT RARE and they think the interiors are NOT LUXURIOUS ENOUGH.
Couldn't agree more, Ive been saying the whole time the #1 thing GM needs to do with the Corvette is improve the overall fit and finish and the interior.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 05:46 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, in that narrow little World, have been to China a number of times. Gave a technical talk at a large conference and visited one of the Wolds’s largest shipyards. Did the same in South Korea giving an hour talk at a technical conference and visited a car assembly plant, the Worlds largest shipyard and the largest integrated steel mill. Been to Japan a number of times as well. Visited most countries in Europe including being on the Board of our Germany company and when we sold our business to. Swedish company spent a lot of time with their managers and engineers, Gave technical talks in Denmark, the Czech Republic and Romania same with South America and Mexico. Not so small or sad!
And with all these travels and all this experience you didn't notice once that these smaller displacement engine that get better fuel economy are also making less power than the larger displaced counterpart?

A 500hp 2L I4 turbo is going to get gas mileage like a ~500hp engine would, regardless of displacement, and not get gas mileage like a 180hp 2L I4 would, do you see my point? Displacement is a small factor.

In this Thread a few posts up I copied a text and listed a ~100 cars that had switched to 2 Liter, double overhead cam, turbo engines. Quoting the author who interviewed many car companies and wrote:
“This mad rush from larger-displacement V6s to smaller, turbocharged four-cylinders was first fueled by the automakers' need to improve fuel economy to meet customer demand. Fewer cylinders mean fewer parts, which means less internal friction. This makes the engine more efficient, so it burns less fuel.

The aurthors words not mine.
Kinda sounds like your words when you purposly leave out:
"as well as more stringent government regulations." i.e. displacement tax

Turbos use some of the 30% wasted energy going out the exhaust. I previously sited a WWII airplane engine that used a turbo to increase intake air pressure then after, the exhaust went through several more turbos connected directly to the prop to give 500 hp more for take off and 250 hp more when flying. Lots of wasted energy to be recovered. It’s called compound turbocharging.
Stop with the turbo talk, you can put a turbo on a larger displacement engine, this is not limited to having small displacement.

I sited the silly EPA comparisons some present as the C7, M7 clearly shows the EPA test can be manipulated. To get the EPA number the owner’s manual says shift from 1st at 17 mph that forces a shift to 4th (skipping 2nd and 3rd) then shifting to 5th at 25 mph and 6th and 7th at similar low rpm, one close to 900 rpm. No one drives that way and yes it does reduce friction but meaningless.
Anyone trying for the best gas mileage drives that way, its not by any means "unreasonable" when you are driving any other car very lightly to get the best gas mileage as well. You heavy foot any performance car and gas mileage will drop significantly, this is not limited to the Corvette. And once again since the Corvette is using a proper engine its able to actually operate like that in the low RPMs and not bog and sputter like some of the gutless smaller displaced performance engine (that get worse gas mileage as well). Go drive any other ~460hp car like you do your Corvette and the gas mileage will be similar.

ICE taxes in China are rather mindless as my last visit to Beijing, ~90% of the vehicles were battery powered, all electric bicycles! Look up Europe. Most countries have switched to mpg as a tax base, Yep few “big cid” engines used to achieve high mpg numbers, ~95% are small cid.
Yea because displacement tax(even if it was replaced a few years back) has forced so many manufacturers to build smaller displaced engines, those cars arn't going to all of a sudden disappear. Again those small displaced engine are making ~80hp - 150hp in small lightweight hatchback cars, and they will get gas mileage like a 80-150hp car. Take those same engines and modify them to make more than double the power they are making now while keeping the displacement the same and what do you think will happen to the gas mileage?

I provide this info NOT for you as I expect your closed mind will not to accept it. But for the almost 100,000 “silent majority” that have viewed it so they understand why the Blackwing, double overhead cam with independent control of intake and exhaust timing and twin turbo’s will be used in the C8. It’s being built in Bowling Green!

Fotunatly most are not in the “Round Tailight Only” mind set!
At this point you just like typing mindless things and copy/paste quotes over and over without actually understanding what they are saying. Still waiting for you to answer my questions too, like you dodged the Corvette 500hp LT1 vs BW questions again. Why are you not able to give me an answer?

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Originally Posted by jefnvk
]
As far as performance, look at racing sports cars if you don't believe raw power doesn't matter as much. Most of them aren't besting 600hp even in the top classes. Spectators driving Corvettes to IMSA races or Camaros to NASCAR races now have more power under their hood than the race car variants do, but the road versions certainly aren't more capable machines.
I agree with what you are saying here 100%, however the race cars you speak of are making that kind of power because they are restricted by the rules to do so, not because they don't want any more power. That is not to say there is no such thing as "too much power" but using restricted race cars isn't a great example.

And personally, I still think if folks want to keep the C7 alive, you should cheapen up the interior, toss a hot turbo I4 in it, and price it in the mid-high $20s to compete with the BRZ and Miata and get younger folks on the ownership ladder.
This would be a 1 way trip to killing the Corvette image immediately. GM has the I4 turbo Camaro that performs and handles tremendously well in that price bracket. If anything they would need to build a much smaller two seater (like the pontiac solstice size) with an actual good interior and good build quality to compete.
Throwing an I4 in the Corvette and making the interior even cheaper is just about the worst possible thing you could do. One of everyone biggest gripes with the car already is the interior not being the greatest and one of the biggest redeeming factors of the car is the engine is so fantastic. I don't think Ive read a single review for the Corvette (or any Corvette since the C5 at least) that said anything bad about the engine and in fact reviewers are always saying the engine should be put into more cars (like the ATS-V for example).
Old 03-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
And with all these travels and all this experience you didn't notice once that these smaller displacement engine that get better fuel economy are also making less power than the larger displaced counterpart?

A 500hp 2L I4 turbo is going to get gas mileage like a ~500hp engine would, regardless of displacement, and not get gas mileage like a 180hp 2L I4 would, do you see my point? Displacement is a small factor.

Kinda sounds like your words when you purposly leave out:
"as well as more stringent government regulations." i.e. displacement tax

Stop with the turbo talk, you can put a turbo on a larger displacement engine, this is not limited to having small displacement.

Anyone trying for the best gas mileage drives that way, its not by any means "unreasonable" when you are driving any other car very lightly to get the best gas mileage as well. You heavy foot any performance car and gas mileage will drop significantly, this is not limited to the Corvette. And once again since the Corvette is using a proper engine its able to actually operate like that in the low RPMs and not bog and sputter like some of the gutless smaller displaced performance engine (that get worse gas mileage as well). Go drive any other ~460hp car like you do your Corvette and the gas mileage will be similar.

Yea because displacement tax(even if it was replaced a few years back) has forced so many manufacturers to build smaller displaced engines, those cars arn't going to all of a sudden disappear. Again those small displaced engine are making ~80hp - 150hp in small lightweight hatchback cars, and they will get gas mileage like a 80-150hp car. Take those same engines and modify them to make more than double the power they are making now while keeping the displacement the same and what do you think will happen to the gas mileage?

At this point you just like typing mindless things and copy/paste quotes over and over without actually understanding what they are saying. Still waiting for you to answer my questions too, like you dodged the Corvette 500hp LT1 vs BW questions again. Why are you not able to give me an answer?
I have said it a few times, air, fuel, spark, air out. I know it's an oversimplification but making 500 hp takes a bunch of those no matter a 4 cyl, v8, turbo or SC. I had read a comment something like "well nobody uses 500hp anyway" which is ridiculous. The implication is drive it easy and it's a fuel sipping 4 cyl, I would say every time I'm out I find a few opportunities to drive it like a sports car! Also, where are the factory 750 hp 4 cyl?
JD_AMG (03-23-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:24 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Unlikely, since most places these days use "just in time" production and delivery, and payment is made upon delivery. Parts don't really get stockpiled any more.
Originally Posted by PCMIII
The DCT will make the C7 faster accelerating if it is half as good as the PDK. Should improve fuel economy too. Plus, GM needs real world testing before it goes into the ME.
Putting that transmission in a C7 wouldn't be real-word testing for the C8, since the C7 puts much lower torque loads on the transmission due to having less traction

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-22-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”