Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor

Putting that transmission in a C7 wouldn't be real-word testing for the C8, since the C7 puts much lower torque loads on the transmission due to having less traction
Not only that but why in the world would they need to "test" it on the C7 first. They have been testing them on the C8 for well over a year at this point.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:35 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Unlikely, since most places these days use "just in time" production and delivery, and payment is made upon delivery. Parts don't really get stockpiled any more.

Putting that transmission in a C7 wouldn't be real-word testing for the C8, since the C7 puts much lower torque loads on the transmission due to having less traction
I disagree with both lines... theres no way GM and a transmission manufacturer's deals can be that much in GM's favor that GM had not already promised they would keep the trans manufacturer busy as they negotiate a very low price for buying in bulk. GM would be held to a contract as well. Backing out of such a deal could put a Trans factory out of business if they geared up for production of that many transmissions.

As far as testing in the c7 goes, its a no brainer... IF they can get the trans to break in the c7 z or zr1, then they can go back to the trans makers and say...

"see, your promises about your products capability are empty, we knew big low end torque would destroy these, we need a better unit or we need to find a new supplier for the c8 flagship models which are going to have more grip and put more strain on the trans and rear diff than this c7 could ever dream of."

If you recall, and maybe i have to fish the threads up as proof, i said long ago that the c8 and c7 would be revealed this year, and would be produced side-by-side, and the new c7 would have the engine and trans from the c8... and then the c7 would have final editions for the reamining 2 years until 2021 or 2022, and then let the public THINK the front engine is dead..

and once the public buys up all the remaining c7's... then have the announcement that Corvette is a brand, is making a small suv, and the c8 front engine car, which will have an all new look.

Corvette will have multiple models, theres no reason not to. GM is going after Porsche hard.

GM would not have gone through the hassle to invent a cabin that was compatible with both front and rear engine configurations... they would have just made a new frame for ME cars only, and just called it a day.... but they openly have admitted that the cabin frame serves both cars.

They will share the cabin frame between the 2 cars, and there will always be 2 cars, with temporary dead zones in between on the FE for marketing drama to get people to buy up the remaining c7's

Last edited by Mikec7z; 03-22-2019 at 07:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 PM
GrandSport 2017
Pro

Received 996 Likes on 301 Posts

Well that worked out well today. Everyone forgot the topic GM didn't want everyone talking about yesterday. There getting good at the game.
Mikec7z (03-22-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 02:02 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I don’t think the DCT will work in the C7 without some major re-engineering. Current design is engine, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft,transmission,and differential.

One option would be to replace the transmission with a DCT out of some other front engine Car, if it would fit in that limited space. Since the DCT has self contained clutches, it would eliminate the clutch up front resulting in a configuration of engine, flywheel, driveshaft, DCT, and differential. (Dint know if it would be an issue but the driveshaft would be turning end time the engine was running.)

Another option would to use the transaxle that has been developed for the C8. You would replace the transmission and differential with the transaxle and also eliminate the front clutch. This configuration would be the engine, flywheel, driveshaft, and transaxle. But this would probably require a complete re-engineering of the rear suspension.

So, no DCT for the C7.

Last edited by Tom73; 03-23-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Mikec7z (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:22 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
I disagree with both lines... theres no way GM and a transmission manufacturer's deals can be that much in GM's favor that GM had not already promised they would keep the trans manufacturer busy as they negotiate a very low price for buying in bulk. GM would be held to a contract as well. Backing out of such a deal could put a Trans factory out of business if they geared up for production of that many transmissions.
I can understand your reservations, but contracts between auto makers and suppliers are often extremely biased in the auto makers favor. The auto makers have that much buying power. For a supplier, getting a major contract from an auto producer can make the difference between sinking and staying afloat. The auto makers know this and leverage it to the max.

For example, many contracts stipulate that if there is a problem with either supply or quality which shuts a production line down, the supplier will pay many thousands of dollars per hour for the time the line is shut down, and this can happen even if it was a result of the auto makers quantity forecasts being at fault. You'll even get scenarios where suppliers hire private charter jets to get parts there on time, in an effort to avoid the huge expense penalties of shutting a line down.

I'm not just making this up, I'm around this sort of stuff on a regular basis.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-23-2019 at 08:32 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Warp Factor:
Boiler_81 (03-23-2019), Foosh (03-23-2019), jefnvk (03-23-2019), JerryU (03-23-2019), Mikec7z (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 09:35 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
I don’t think the DCT will work in the C7 without some major re-engineering. Current design is engine, flywheel, clutch, driveshaft,transmission,and differential.

One option would be to replace the transmission with a DCT out of some other front engine Car, if it would fit in that limited space. Since the DCT has self contained clutches, it would eliminate the clutch up front resulting in a configuration of engine, flywheel, driveshaft, DCT, and differential. (Dint know if it would be an issue but the driveshaft would be turning end time the engine was running.)

Another option would to use the transaxle that has been developed for the C8. You would replace the transmission and differential with the transaxle and also eliminate the front clutch. This configuration would be the engine, flywheel, driveshaft, and transaxle. But this would probably require a complete re-engineering of the rear suspension.

So, no DCT for the C7.
Who seriously believes that GM is going to spend precious R&D funds to “re-engineer” the C7 drivetrain because they couldn’t get the C8 ready in time? Pour more money into a platform that is at the end of its product life cycle? Sorry, not going to happen. They would want to maximize every dollar of profit IF they had to extend that life cycle, not start re-amortizing additional investment over a limited production run which in turn increases the cost of each unit. Nope, no way.
And I doubt very highly that GM turned the switch on and has an inventory of 20K transaxles sitting around for the C8.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Kodiak Bear
Drifting

Received 715 Likes on 427 Posts

Getting back to the use of the LT and wanting something in the 500 to 550 hp range, I haven't heard any mention of a MAHLE Jet Ignition type application to the LT series. That would appear to be some F1 technology that is a easy apply to the LT and should result in some appreciable HP gains.

II don't have a feel for the $s, there may well be a less expensive way to achieve the intended levels.

Last edited by Kodiak Bear; 03-23-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:55 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 868 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Who seriously believes that GM is going to spend precious R&D funds to “re-engineer” the C7 drivetrain because they couldn’t get the C8 ready in time?
I seriously believe GM is going to up-grade the C7 drivetrain because they want to sell FE cars along with ME Corvettes. Without an upgrade, there is no way the FE can keep selling, but with the LT2 and DCT, there is definitely a market.
tooold2race (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 12:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
I seriously believe GM is going to up-grade the C7 drivetrain because they want to sell FE cars along with ME Corvettes. Without an upgrade, there is no way the FE can keep selling, but with the LT2 and DCT, there is definitely a market.
You mean like the C6 that started life with a 4 speed auto and a 6.0L 400 HP engine just to have a new 6 speed auto and a new 6.2l 430/436Hp engine take over without a generational change. Of course, GM also switched from the T56 to the TR6060 manual transmission without a generational change to justify it, three years into the C6 run. How about the C6 steering wheel that was changed after just one year because of the backlash. Also some eight years after the C6 introduction, the seats were changed in the C6 to a different design. And then the 427 7L engine showed up in a convertible at the end of the C6's run.

Or, how about the C7 that started life with a 6 speed auto and then lost it to an 8 speed auto, without a generational change.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-23-2019 at 12:55 PM.
PCMIII (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 01:03 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

If the C8 won't be offered in a manual, then I'd think GM would especially want to keep a manual in the C7, rather than switching to a DCT.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

If the C8 won't be offered in a manual, then I'd think GM would especially want to keep a manual in the C7, rather than switching to a DCT.
Why not both?
Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

For the base 2018 Stingray, the M7 amounted to 13% of production.

Maybe GM doesn't feel that that is enough take to warrant the expense of having two transmissions available. IF the order guide is for an upgraded FE 2020 Corvette, then it not having a GS, Z06 or ZR1 offered could possibly mean that GM might be intending that the FE continue on as the entry level 2020 and the ME be the higher level offerings. Sorta like Porsche's Boxster/Cayman being the entry level model and the 911 being the higher level entry with all the high performance models being variations of the 911..

Just idle speculation as to what might be up GM's sleeve.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-23-2019 at 01:54 PM.
tooold2race (03-24-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 02:09 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
For the base 2018 Stingray, the M7 amounted to 13% of production.

Maybe GM doesn't feel that that is enough take to warrant the expense of having two transmissions available. IF the order guide is for an upgraded FE 2020 Corvette, then it not having a GS, Z06 or ZR1 offered could possibly mean that GM might be intending that the FE continue on as the entry level 2020 and the ME be the higher level offerings. Sorta like Porsche's Boxster/Cayman being the entry level model and the 911 being the higher level entry with all the high performance models being variations of the 911..

Just idle speculation as to what might be up GM's sleeve.
DCT won’t work in a C7. Maybe a new design FE but not the existing C7.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Thinking this thread has finally jumped the shark!!

PC
Old 03-23-2019, 03:57 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Why do you think a DCT won't work in the existing C7 layout?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:40 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't see why it wouldn't work. See Joe's post #1072.

But I also don't see why GM would invest that much development in a retiring model.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:47 PM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

you FE people are delusional. Enough already.

Get notified of new replies

To Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”

Old 03-23-2019, 04:51 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha
you FE people are delusional. Enough already.
We've been buying FE Corvettes for decades and nobody thinks that is delusional.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:06 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Why do you think a DCT won't work in the existing C7 layout?
I don't see why it wouldn't work. See Joe's post #1072.

But I also don't see why GM would invest that much development in a retiring model.
See #1084.

Not a bolt in operation. Would need to re-engineer the car.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
The first cars to utilize OHC engines was the Maudslay designed by Alexander Craig and introduced in 1902 and the Marr Auto Car designed by Michigan native Walter Lorenzo Marr in 1903. The first DOHC car was a 1912 Peugeot which won the French Grand Prix at Dieppe that year.
Off subject for a minute but how about Harry Miller? Ettore cloned Harry’s motors- Jano and the Alfa straight eight had the most glorious sound, like an exotic big block Chevy.

Quick Reply: Unlikely base MEC using “upgraded LT1”