Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why no “it has Camaro taillights” threads this time around?

Old 12-26-2018, 08:14 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,755 Likes on 4,214 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The C7 tail lights are terrible, they always were. This is a C8 forum so complaining about the C7 is fair game. It's a renewed topic because many of us, if not most, don't want the C8 to have anything in common with the C7, aka Cormaro.
:iagree & I can afford a C7 or whatever else I want. I also haven’t run out of excuses as to why I didn’t buy a C7 as there was only one reason - I think it’s ugly. I wanted a very specific Corvette & when I found it, I bought it. It happens to be a C6 and imho much better looking than a C7.

I peruse the C8 section because I love Corvettes and am interested to see what is next & decide if I will be adding to my garage like many others here.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:13 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,830 Likes on 659 Posts

That looks like crap. And worst of all, at night from a distance it is very hard to tell if those lights belong to a Camaro. A Corvette should never be mistaken for a Camaro.
Crap, huh? Let's see your car jacka$$. It's always fun to see pics of an '84 Fiero on a Corvette forum.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

The C7 tail lights are terrible, they always were. This is a C8 forum so complaining about the C7 is fair game. It's a renewed topic because many of us, if not most, don't want the C8 to have anything in common with the C7, aka Cormaro.
Yeah, I'm sure you'll be buying a C8.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:16 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JABCAT

:iagree & I can afford a C7 or whatever else I want. I also haven’t run out of excuses as to why I didn’t buy a C7 as there was only one reason - I think it’s ugly. I wanted a very specific Corvette & when I found it, I bought it. It happens to be a C6 and imho much better looking than a C7.

You can afford anything you want and you bought a C6? Yeah, that makes sense.

You and Atari_Prime should get a room...you sound like a great pair.

Last edited by BMadden; 12-26-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by BMadden
You can afford anything you want and you bought a C6? Yeah, that makes sense.

You and Atari_Prime should get a room...you sound like a great pair.
You really think EVERYONE likes, or must like, the styling of the C7? It’s a mean looking beast for sure, but there’s an awful lot going on, much of which might seem very dated in a few years. Here’s an analogy. Almost everybody loves Lambo’s Muira, which is a reasonably simple and wonderfully elegant design. Others prefer the later Countaches — scoops, splitters, spoilers and rockers galore. But, Lamborghini backed off quite a bit from those extremes. Similarly, there’s a great argument for the C8 to move away from the C7 motif into a simpler and more elegant look.

Not a knock on C7s at all. They’ve sold a bunch of them and I like them all except for the ZR1 and the “full race” Z06. And I REALLY like the taillights. Regardless what they do with the C8, give it some nicely sculptured lenses on the butt...
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred

You really think EVERYONE likes, or must like, the styling of the C7? It’s a mean looking beast for sure, but there’s an awful lot going on, much of which might seem very dated in a few years. Here’s an analogy. Almost everybody loves Lambo’s Muira, which is a reasonably simple and wonderfully elegant design. Others prefer the later Countaches — scoops, splitters, spoilers and rockers galore. But, Lamborghini backed off quite a bit from those extremes. Similarly, there’s a great argument for the C8 to move away from the C7 motif into a simpler and more elegant look.

Not a knock on C7s at all. They’ve sold a bunch of them and I like them all except for the ZR1 and the “full race” Z06. And I REALLY like the taillights. Regardless what they do with the C8, give it some nicely sculptured lenses on the butt...
I’ve owned every generation Corvette except for the C7 because i just don’t like it. For a number of reasons. Obviously lots of others do, and that great them and for Chevrolet. I’ll reserve judgement on the C8 until I see the real thing, especially the cockpit, which needs to be improved significantly since that’s the view of the car that I want to see most offten.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:53 AM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Both the C7 and C8 (so far) appear to have "brand design" where they are purposely trying to make the rear ends look similar to all the rest of the cars, the same way as Chevy decided to make the fronts all have a chrome bar across the grills. The rear ends of the C7 and the latest camaro are eerily similar and neither are that far removed from the rest of the lineup (excluding trucks/SUVs). This is going to be more apparent after the rest of the cars are phased out and all we have are Camaro's and Corvette's, which will have very similar themes.

Its shitty brand focused design strategy and it is ruining the natural design of the car. It has resulted in a C7 with an ugly rear and what looks like a C8 with less ugly but no less out of place rear.

The C6 is the last one that had a consistent design from front to rear. It didn't look like anything else in the lineup, just like all the generations before it.

Last edited by StanleyTTU; 12-27-2018 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Red1990VT (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 04:01 PM
SugarDemon
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

I think it would be a gawd awful shame if they kept the Camaro styled tailights. You spend so much energy and time designing a whole new Corvette and then keep that old design? There are so many cool things you could do with LED taillights these days that would accent the entire design. You want to design a car that looks like it’s doing 200mph, even when looking at it from the back.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:11 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You win the dumbest post of the day award. If you are mistaking ANY Camaro for a C7 from the rear, in ANY light, or ANY distance, you need to get your eyes checked.
LOL... my wife, (god bless her) see's a camaro and says "They've got their vette out too"
Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Red1990VT
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 40 Posts

The Gen 2 Camaro showed up in 1970, two model years after the C3 Corvette debuted with what eventually became the iconic 4 round tail lights signature of the Corvette. I don't recall being bothered that the Camaro copied the Corvette.

I think what happened with the C7 is the perception that Corvette was now copying a cheaper model.

People who are really into Corvettes, to the point of taking part in forums about them, want the Corvette to be unique and special. Putting a design cue from a lesser car on it was like showing a disrespect to the car, to tradition, and to the fan base.
tuxnharley (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Pop-up headlights were added in the 1963 model year so they are not a Corvette traditional styling cue but round tail lights started with the first model year and continued up to the C7 design (except for the ovals on the C5, which are pretty much the round styling cue and the squared off tail lights of some C4 models). Round tail lights on a Corvette should always be in the stylists tool box. C7's tail lights look like **** IMHO. If I ever bought one I'd have to find a kit to change it over to round.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

My issue with the C7 back is to do more with the bottom half (black part) rather than the taillights themselves.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:40 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BMadden
Sorry, but if you don't think this looks wicked then I don't know what to say.

I think it looks great!

Even though I love the round tails on previous Corvette generations, I've always thought the C7's tails were/are a nice revolution in the design of the Corvette's taillights.

I also think this revolution was needed to broaden the overall stylistic possibilities that the rest of the car was going (and will continue to go) through.
GundamX7X (12-30-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 12:35 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Possible C8 tailights?
Old 12-30-2018, 05:09 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
My issue with the C7 back is to do more with the bottom half (black part) rather than the taillights themselves.
Yoo mean something like this.

rsvette12 (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 05:45 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Pop-up headlights were added in the 1963 model year so they are not a Corvette traditional styling cue but round tail lights started with the first model year and continued up to the C7 design (except for the ovals on the C5, which are pretty much the round styling cue and the squared off tail lights of some C4 models). Round tail lights on a Corvette should always be in the stylists tool box. C7's tail lights look like **** IMHO. If I ever bought one I'd have to find a kit to change it over to round.
Forget something?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:06 PM
GundamX7X
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Want to talk about parts and design sharing, have you seen BMW, ughhhh 🤢🤮

Get notified of new replies

To Why no “it has Camaro taillights” threads this time around?

Old 12-30-2018, 11:27 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Forget something?

When you see them lit up from behind they are round
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,176 Posts

I never understood the hatred for the c7 taillights ...

i never looked at them and felt the c7 tailliht was an issue. Same for whatever ahift gm does with the c8..

GundamX7X (12-31-2018)
Old 12-31-2018, 10:41 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
When you see them lit up from behind they are round
That's my boy, double down and never look back....
"Often wrong, never in doubt"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why no “it has Camaro taillights” threads this time around?