Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does GM have the the cojones to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by rob62
Is that for real, you did it? If true then c.c's would be a waste. But I have a feeling the pads may only help marginally . And that fine brake dust kills chrome if not cleaned regularly . Fact, just shy of a 500 mile road trip (Carlisle) in the ZR1, did a finger swipe of the rim and a near indiscernible amount of dust was present . My G.S. ? filthy in 10 miles.
Yes, it's for real. I installed a set of US-made Carbotech 1521s, they work great on the street, and produce very little dust. Many here swear by Chinese-made Powerstops for about half the cost of Carbotechs. I only need to clean the wheels maybe once a month, and mine is a nearly daily driver.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-27-2018 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
nmerhaut (01-03-2019), rob62 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM
The
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
They are a waste for street use. You can buy carbon ceramic pads for $200-300 for use on iron rotors and accomplish the same thing (little or no dust), while saving thousands.
When I first got my Z07 package C6 I thought the same thing as you. Since it was used I didn't take nearly the full hit to the wallet for the option so I didn't care. Now that I've experienced them though I would never get another "fun car" without them. I wash the rims once every 2 car washes and they never get really bad. I do a lot of road rallies sometimes on mountainous back roads. By the bottom I can sometimes smell burning pads from the cars in front of me and I can tell they're feeling it. I have never even noticed a difference in the pedal feel. It's nice just knowing that you have that safety net. They look bad *** too. It's always a talking point when people are checking out my car.

Last edited by The; 12-27-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:24 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by The
When I first got my Z07 package C6 I thought the same thing as you. Since it was used I didn't take nearly the full hit to the wallet for the option so I didn't care. Now that I've experienced them though I would never get another "fun car" without them. I wash the rims once every 2 car washes and they never get really bad. I do a lot of road rallies sometimes on mountainous back roads. By the bottom I can sometimes smell burning pads from the cars in front of me and I can tell they're feeling it. I have never even noticed a difference in the pedal feel. It's nice just knowing that you have that safety net. They look bad *** too. It's always a talking point when people are checking out my car.
Well you're also using them for their intended purpose too...
Is that for real, you did it? If true then c.c's would be a waste. But I have a feeling the pads may only help marginally . And that fine brake dust kills chrome if not cleaned regularly . Fact, just shy of a 500 mile road trip (Carlisle) in the ZR1, did a finger swipe of the rim and a near indiscernible amount of dust was present . My G.S. ? filthy in 10 miles.
I pretty much have to wash my vette every time I take it out of the garage so it max has 50 miles per. But the C4 rims also don't dust up the way more open, modern ones will. I have a dusty house and thus a dusty garage and if that doesn't get it, the sweat from the A/C does.

Also, I would hope 500 miles of what I imagine is mostly highway milage, would have very little dust lol. Just playing btw.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

It is amazing just how much dust these Corvette iron brakes throw.
Yeah, they stop well, but it's a PITA to keep clean.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by LB001
A forum is an assembly for discussion of matters of public interest. You pose a question on a form, this forum, and you get answers.
Yup. He posed a question. Said nothing about making a rhetorical statement.

."Rhetorical," was claiming that the Corvette is a; "working man's supercar." That's just nutty.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetals
You can almost bet there are some intense meetings at the corporate level because of the tanking economy.
The economy isn't "tanking."

Old 12-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sunsalem
It is amazing just how much dust these Corvette iron brakes throw.
Yeah, they stop well, but it's a PITA to keep clean.
It's the Brembo pads standard on Z51 and above, not the iron rotors. They are pads rated for "occasional track use." More dust = more stopping power with the exception of full carbon ceramic brakes including rotors. Aftermarket ceramic pads on iron rotors reduce dust by at least 90% by my estimation.

You're losing some stopping power by making the switch to ceramic pads, but they are more than adequate for street use.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-28-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM
GMAN78OR
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My 2 cents on the electrical system issue is that they are using more juice then they are producing. They probably are using a current gen alternator, but didn't realize the need for more fans to cool the rear radiators and the more juice needed for more gadgets in the cockpit like a bigger screen, navigation, Bluetooth, 50 usb plugins, and the coffee maker.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:24 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I normally spend an hour washing my C6 Z06 after a decent length drive. I even do a quick detail at the motel in the evenings when on a lengthy road trip. It only adds maybe 10 minutes to wash/clean the wheels ( with steel rotors and stock pads). No big deal. If the car is only dusty, I use the California duster on it, and use spray Windex and an old towel to clean the chrome wheels.

I really don't understand why so much is made of having to clean the wheels ever so often.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:50 AM
SugarDemon
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by myc7z51
This recent revelation that GM is having problems validating the C8 electrical system piqued my interest - why would a company that has been building cars for over 100 years have issues?
Why did tons of GM pickup trucks in the early 2000s have the drivers side daytime running light burn out prematurely? Why did the previous generation GMC Envoy constantly burn up the wiring sockets on the drivers side headlight? For that matter, why wouldn't the C5 hold enough of a charge to turn the motor over after sitting idle for a lousy two weeks? These things aren't as slam dunk as one might think and I can't imagine how complicated the charging system is on a techno-piece like the C8.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by SugarDemon
Why did tons of GM pickup trucks in the early 2000s have the drivers side daytime running light burn out prematurely? Why did the previous generation GMC Envoy constantly burn up the wiring sockets on the drivers side headlight? For that matter, why wouldn't the C5 hold enough of a charge to turn the motor over after sitting idle for a lousy two weeks? These things aren't as slam dunk as one might think and I can't imagine how complicated the charging system is on a techno-piece like the C8.
And why did the early C6's have the low beams shut off on their own while driving at night? GM had to recall them and do a "fix' because some engineer failed to adequately do his/her job of designing the fuse box and circuit board, etc, under the hot hood. Cars have had electric headlights for decades.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by GM5778
I actually think the delay is BS. I think they are trying to give dealers a little more time to sell the ZR1s. Many have "market adjustment" mark ups and the dealers won't get them if the C8 is publicly announced in Jan.

So IMO its more likely GM is giving the dealer network a bit more time to get rid of current ZR1 inventory, because if you have $135k+ or more for a ZR1, why not wait 6-12 months for the $150k+ highest performing C8????
I wouldn't buy a C7 even at 40% off. It would have to be 50% or more so I can Flip it for a quick sale.

Even "if" the Base model is within $10,000 of the current C7 why would I buy one?

C8 is Mid-Engine, new platform, new tech, and one of the Hottest Corvettes in history.

An American car with Porsche-like performance? Duh!!!

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 12-28-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
I wouldn't buy a C7 even at 40% off. It would have to be 50% or more so I can Flip it for a quick sale.

Even "if" the Base model is within $10,000 of the current C7 why would I buy one?

C8 is Mid-Engine, new platform, new tech, and one of the Hottest Corvettes in history.

Wait till the car is actually reveal maybe ? We don't know anything about the C8 ME beside that it's Mid-Engine. Just the thought of Chevrolet being capable of producing a PDK like transmission for their ME car is very far fetched to begin with. The reason why Porsche are so good at what they do is refinement. The Corvette platform has a long way to go to every come close to what Porsche can do.

I reserve my judgement for after the car is reveal and at least tested by car journalist or real owner. Until then , it's all hype.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:32 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
Wait till the car is actually reveal maybe ? We don't know anything about the C8 ME beside that it's Mid-Engine. Just the thought of Chevrolet being capable of producing a PDK like transmission for their ME car is very far fetched to begin with. The reason why Porsche are so good at what they do is refinement. The Corvette platform has a long way to go to every come close to what Porsche can do.

I reserve my judgement for after the car is reveal and at least tested by car journalist or real owner. Until then , it's all hype.
I wouldn't buy a C7, period.

I hate automatics, so give me a decent 6 speed.

ME with any chasis near the Camaro platform and this C8 will destroy a C7.

0-60MPH, 1320, track, etc...

Yes, Porsche has done a great job, aka the Japanese because their vehicles are "Evolutionary" vs Revolutionary.

Small incremental changes like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry which now dominate the US passenger car industry.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:54 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

It's the Brembo pads standard on Z51 and above, not the iron rotors. They are pads rated for "occasional track use." More dust = more stopping power with the exception of full carbon ceramic brakes including rotors. Aftermarket ceramic pads on iron rotors reduce dust by at least 90% by my estimation.

You're losing some stopping power by making the switch to ceramic pads, but they are more than adequate for street use.
Yeah, I know the pads are the culprit.
I'm curious how well ceramic pads hold up over time with the iron rotors...

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut

The C7 ALREADY has that...in spades.
I don't know why folks keep forgetting this...

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-28-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:01 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And why did the early C6's have the low beams shut off on their own while driving at night? GM had to recall them and do a "fix' because some engineer failed to adequately do his/her job of designing the fuse box and circuit board, etc, under the hot hood. Cars have had electric headlights for decades.
Wasn't that a bean counter? Like most GM products the design is marginal. The 360 platform couldn't support HIDs on the stock wiring and required a relay harness, like most cars do though. That being said, tinkering with their work from the 90s trucks to the present, you can see there have been corners cut on electrical. Wiring is right at the cusp of allowable voltage drop, etc. It works yea, but someone said to pull that back. When I wire my crap, I usually factor in a 1.5x safety margin. So a 10 amp circuit can handle more than 15 amps when I do it. But that adds cost. I'd rather know the fuse blows before the wire melts. Hell 14/3 romex in your house on a longer run is marginal on a 15 amp circuit...
Old 12-28-2018, 04:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yeah, I know the pads are the culprit.
I'm curious how well ceramic pads hold up over time with the iron rotors...
I've got 20K miles on Carbotech 1521s in two different C7s w/ no signs of rotor or significant pad wear.

Get notified of new replies

To Does GM have the the cojones to...

Old 12-28-2018, 09:07 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

I've got 20K miles on Carbotech 1521s in two different C7s w/ no signs of rotor or significant pad wear.
Wow, thanks for that.
Sounds like I need to order some.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Let me tell you all about "electrical problems". Mercedes unveiled their Project One at the European Auto Show in Frankfurt back in 2017, this thing is 1 mill +, a hybrid, more electrical whatnot than anything GM has to offer AND they're still in the testing stages...do you think that it stopped them from showing a mock up in their homeland with Lewis Hamilton (F1 driver for M-B), not a f'kn chance. So if you think that "electrical problems" had something to do with GM from not showing a mule that doesn't have to do anything but sit there at an auto show you're f'kn nuts. There's something more to this than an "electrical problem".

GM is feeding you a f'kn line and some of you are falling for it hook, line and sinker. They want to catch those that are on the fence, C7....or C8. They want to sell as many C7's as possible and delaying the reveal (f'k I hate that ghey term) of the C8 or ME Whatever as much possible will help.

Last edited by themonk; 12-28-2018 at 09:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
sunsalem (12-29-2018), Tennis & Golf Nut (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:50 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

The C7 ALREADY has that...in spades.

I don't know why folks keep forgetting this...
I was referring to the Mid-Engine layout which of course the C7 does not have.

Quick Reply: Does GM have the the cojones to...