Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 convertible

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:42 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

RE: 50%/50% weight distribution.

..The largest driving disasters happen when the rear weight is a lot greater than front.

.The 1960s Chevrolet Corvair was one such driving disaster. Extremely uncontrollable trying to drive fast in turns.

..Some Porsches, same thing. Very uncontrollable.

..From my experience, the Corvette is very controllable and predictable in the experienced
drivers' hands.

​​​​​​​.

​​​​​​​.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-30-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:29 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Joe, do you just make this stuff up? I drove a 1963 Corvair for several years as a teenager. It was definitely not "extremely uncontrollable trying to drive in fast turns". Although it was difficult to get it to go fast. Much of the hype surrounding Ralph Nader's "Unsafe at Any Speed" was debunked by a 1972 Texas A&M University safety commission report for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that found that the 1960–1963 Corvair possessed no greater potential for loss of control in extreme situations than its contemporaries.
The following users liked this post:
mikemote (10-10-2019)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:28 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

The issues with the Corvair had much less to do with its rear weight bias than its swing axle. Once the Corvair's suspension was updated to full independent in 1966 it was transformed into a great car. Very similar to a Porsche, but at a much lower price point.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:37 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
It is only the great expertise of Doug Fehan and the Corvette race team, that the C5.R, C6.R and the C7.R has been doing so well with front engine configuration.
Well, when you have an essentially blank sheet and you are not constrained by the design of the production car, it is perhaps not too difficult to be successful.

After all of the BS about the C7 being a front-mid design (as opposed to the C3), the race cars ARE front-mid designs with the engine further back in the chassis and lower.

Of course, the success of the racing Corvettes has absolutely nothing to do with the production car other than the similarity in body shape.

But, as Panoz proved a few years ago, a modern front-mid design ultimately can not compete against an equivalent mid engine design. Which has also been proven by the fact that all modern formula cars have been mid engine for the last 65 years.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 12-30-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Well, when you have an essentially blank sheet and you are not constrained by the design of the production car, it is perhaps not too difficult to be successful.

After all of the BS about the C7 being a front-mid design (as opposed to the C3), the race cars ARE front-mid designs with the engine further back in the chassis and lower.

Of course, the success of the racing Corvettes has absolutely nothing to do with the production car other than the similarity in body shape.

But, as Panoz proved a few years ago, a modern front-mid design ultimately can not compete against an equivalent mid engine design. Which has also been proven by the fact that all modern formula cars have been mid engine for the last 65 years.
the c7 corvette no only competes but beats most exotic rear mid engine sports cars on the road and the track.

the Grand sport at half the price of the mclaren 570 equals its lap times at VIr..

dont get me wrong i am ordering a c8 yet to call the c7 grand sport, z06 or zr1 uncompetitive to the rear mid engine exotics from a performance aspect is foolhearty...

the corvette leterally tears them up ..

that said the rear mid engine corvette will be even better so what the hell...time to open up the wallet and order one..

every new corvette is better than the last generation.

this new one will be different enough that spending the money will be worth it to many of us..

those who hold onto their c7 s a little longer will definitely not be driving outclassed vehicles.

i fully expect the c7 z06 to out perform the standard c8 both on the street and the track...

JMO
Old 12-30-2018, 12:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
Agreed. It's really tough making a mid-engine car look good IMO and that doesn't look good to me. Why is there such fascination with a mid engine Corvette is beyond me. GM has proven that the front engine RWD platform can perform just as good or out-perform a mid engine setup for years now. Why change it at all.
Mercedes has also proven that there is still life left in the good ole' front engine 2 seater. Their AMG GT R PRO has run the Ring in 7:06 with only 577 horsepower, and the upcoming Black Series will better that time.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
The concept that 50/50 weight distribution is perfect five decades old, “old wives tale.” It was candidly used extensively by Corvette in the 1960’s as they were progressively improving the car by approaching 50/50 weight distribution, and after further progression over a couple of more years, the Corvette ads noted that they had finally achieved the perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

if you look at the best sports cars right now, most of them average right around 58% rear wheel weight distribution. It is only the great expertise of Doug Fehan and the Corvette race team, that the C5.R, C6.R and the C7.R has been doing so well with front engine configuration.
My '64 has a 47/53 weight distribution and the front engine 2019 AMG GT has a 46/54 weight distribution. Both are front engine, and my '64 has a heavy iron block and heads sitting between the front axle and me. Install a modern LS7 in my '64 and the weight distribution would be better than the AMG GT.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:43 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Joe, do you just make this stuff up? I drove a 1963 Corvair for several years as a teenager. It was definitely not "extremely uncontrollable trying to drive in fast turns". Although it was difficult to get it to go fast. Much of the hype surrounding Ralph Nader's "Unsafe at Any Speed" was debunked by a 1972 Texas A&M University safety commission report for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that found that the 1960–1963 Corvair possessed no greater potential for loss of control in extreme situations than its contemporaries.
it is the only car that was fully tested and proven, by the govt, to be safe.

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
The issues with the Corvair had much less to do with its rear weight bias than its swing axle. Once the Corvair's suspension was updated to full independent in 1966 it was transformed into a great car. Very similar to a Porsche, but at a much lower price point.
that swing axle issue was solved in 64 by the addition of a transverse spring between the rear wheels, very similar to the 63 Vette.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I still have a 1965 Corvair coupe. The car is very stable unless you alter the recommended tire pressures. You put 15 psi in the front tires and 28 psi in the rear. Failure to keep the front tires at the recommended pressure will cause considerable oversteer.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM
RealPilot
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As far as a test drive goes, head over to Spring Mountain after they get the C8's in and spend a few $$$ and really learn how the car handles from the people who know. You won't get to drive a convertible, but there won't be a lot of difference between the two;
Just my thoughts on a real test drive !!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:52 AM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

RealPilot, you might consider going to your UCP and setting this: