Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zora

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Zora

Who would like to see the Corvette be and division of it's own and separate from GM's line of cars. Making a new model for rear engine car>>> Maybe the Zora!! I'm old school and would hate to see the heritage of Corvette go away. Plus with a new model GM can keep two price levels....

RAGIN RACIN
Randy Leger
337-278-8397
sales@raginracin.com
http://www.raginracin.com

Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM
SugarDemon
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

That is an intriguing idea with merit but GM is such a bureaucracy, I don't know if they would take a step like that. Further, I just don't see the heritage going away. To me, the mid engine is simply a move forward using newer automotive technology. It's a radical move but hey, Corvette was always supposed to be a radical production car.

Every once in awhile, you just have to reinvent the thing. Moving from C1 to C2 and getting away from a hard axle was a big step to me. Also moving from C4 to C5 which was entirely CAD. You know they're going to do something with that Zora copyright but hard to tell right now.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Has anyone noticed that GM has been getting rid of some of it's "divisions" instead of adding more of them.

The Corvette has faired well under the "Chevrolet" umbrella, so no need to make it a separate "division", that would just increase overhead costs and probably make the Corvette less accessible to many prospective buyers.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
JustinStrife (12-31-2018), RJ-92 (01-07-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

GM is in Cost-Cutting mode.

It takes 100's of millions to start something like that.

GM spent Billions on Saturn.

Ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.
The following users liked this post:
mre1974 (01-06-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:28 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Oh where to start... okay... You’re “old school” and appreciate the heritage so, it’s a Corvette, and will most likely always be a Corvette, not a Zora. If GM abandons using RPO codes as the nicknames for different iterations of the Corvette, there may be a Zora trim level or version of the Corvette,

Secondly, it makes no financial sense for GM to create a stand alone brand called Corvette. It is historically a Chevrolet and will probbaly stay that way. It would be cost prohibitive to build stand alone dealers and service departments for one model of a car. That would support the wild theory of a $169,000 Corvette.

Most manufacturers have been consolidating their design, manufacturing, and dealership networks to remain profitable. Whatever name plate GM cars fall under, they all seem to need their trucks and SUVs to turn a profit. The Corvette is one model of the Chevrolet brand. It’s not like Porsche, that is one brand of the Volkswagen Group, and Porsche has multiple models including sports cars, sedans,and SUVs. That said, there could well be a Cadillac version of the Corvette ME since GM has traditionally shared platforms across the various GM brands.

So, the Chevrolet Corvette heritage should live on through the C8.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:16 PM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Not one of the prototypes we have seen look nothing like a Corvette from style to powertrain and I'm not talking about square tail lights!! LOL If I would want a European style car I would buy one and not a European look a like...

Y'll do realize the Corvette has had two assembly lines in its plant making the XLR..

Last edited by Randy@RaginRacin; 12-28-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:34 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@RaginRacin
Who would like to see the Corvette be and division of it's own and separate from GM's line of cars. Making a new model for rear engine car>>> Maybe the Zora!! I'm old school and would hate to see the heritage of Corvette go away. Plus with a new model GM can keep two price levels....
With 3 decades working for one of the largest Corporations in America, its not about scale... its about smart management... "big and dumb" is not a winning strategy, but size and scale can be a powerful advantage if used in an intelligent way.

The reason the "Old GM" went bankrupt is not because they did not have resources or great technology and talent... its because their senior management were more focused on their bonuses and severance packages than on leading the company. Too many divisions, too many obsolete inefficient factories, too many suppliers, too many dealerships competing against each other with cut-throat pricing. Sheesh!

For a premium-priced, low sales brand, Corvette can draw on a huge base of engineering, marketing, and production resources... and vice versa.

Look at VW Group... Porsche sports cars represent spit in the ocean in terms of sales, but the trickle-down technology, and "halo" marketing effects are great. Done right, it works.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:56 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

That's plain un American. The real beauty of a Corvette is that it is a Chevrolet. A real American sports car made by GMs race car division for real Americans which also built Chevettes.. The Cadillac race car is a stupid idea. The Ford GT is called a Ford and not a Lincoln. When the 53 Vette was first on public display in New York, it had the American Flag and a chequered flag crossed. At the show, they replaced the American flag with a Chevy bowtie. Bet you don't know why?
John T (01-06-2019)
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
That's plain un American. The real beauty of a Corvette is that it is a Chevrolet. A real American sports car made by GMs race car division for real Americans which also built Chevettes.. The Cadillac race car is a stupid idea. The Ford GT is called a Ford and not a Lincoln. When the 53 Vette was first on public display in New York, it had the American Flag and a chequered flag crossed. At the show, they replaced the American flag with a Chevy bowtie. Bet you don't know why?
Maybe they (Harley Earle/Bill Mitchell) wanted it to have international appeal? Maybe they were trying to appease the French? LOL
Old 01-06-2019, 02:35 AM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

If this is what it takes so that when I get a loaner I am not stuck driving a Trax again, sign me up.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

If you want to help corvette help them tap into the R&D funding over at cadillac

if you want to build a premium brand, share more tech between those marques and sell vettes out of the caddy dealers

the vette is moving upscale, and more buyers with deep pockets walk into a caddy dealer.

if you could "fix" one thing, fix the service there, and hope it trickes down

caddy is the new gm darling
Old 01-06-2019, 11:58 AM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

For some strange reason the general consensus on this forum is that Chevy is making a rear-mid-engine Lambroghini/McLaren killer for under the price of a Camaro ZL1 1LE..
vndkshn (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 12:13 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
The 1953 Corvette was never displayed to the public with the American flag in the emblem. Four days BEFORE the New York show, GM management decided to change the emblem as having the American flag on a commercial product was illegal. Right BEFORE the show the redesigned emblems were attached to the car that was to be on display.

The redesigned emblem did not have the bowtie, but only the French Fleur de Lis symbol was used. That emblem was displayed on the car at the New York show and at following press days etc. When the actual production 1953 was placed on sale, the bowtie had been added to the flag with the Fleur de Lis.

Several years ago, a neighbor of mine told me this story. In December, 1952, he was a student at GMI in Flint, MI, and they were instructed to go to the gymnasium one afternoon. When he got there, he saw the new Corvette on display, in the middle of the basketball court. He had no idea that GM was even working on a sports car.

My neighbor went on to spend his entire 40 year career at GM and retired from GM as a Zone manager. Even though my neighbor thought Corvettes were neat, and was one of the very few that saw the Corvette before it was placed on display to the public in New York, he never owned one. Unfortunately, my neighbor is now deceased.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-06-2019 at 12:41 PM.
John T (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 01:07 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

To get the name Z O R A on your steering wheel you will have to pay big bucks, 160K plus. This I know.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:17 PM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Several years ago, a neighbor of mine told me this story. In December, 1952, he was a student at GMI in Flint, MI, and they were instructed to go to the gymnasium one afternoon. When he got there, he saw the new Corvette on display, in the middle of the basketball court. He had no idea that GM was even working on a sports car.
Sorry to hear about your neighbor. He sounded like a nice guy. I graduated from GMI back in 1974. An interesting fact about GMI is that one of the buildings (Plant 35) that was part of the Chevrolet manufacturing complex located next to the university (now called Kettering Univ) is where the first 300 Corvettes were produced before production was moved to St. Louis in 1954. All the buildings in the Chevy manufacturing complex were eventually razed with the exception of the historic Plant 35 which now has become an R&D facility for KU.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Has anyone noticed that GM has been getting rid of some of it's "divisions" instead of adding more of them.

The Corvette has faired well under the "Chevrolet" umbrella, so no need to make it a separate "division", that would just increase overhead costs and probably make the Corvette less accessible to many prospective buyers.
Apples and oranges IMHO. A Pontiac that looks like a Buick that looks like a Olds that looks like a Chevy is what killed Olds and Pontiac. GM got flat out lazy in the 70s-90s (or even 00s) and that killed some of those divisions. There is nothing made by Buick/GMC/Caddy that looks like the Corvette or even close.

I think Buick/GMC is next BTW.

Originally Posted by Red67John
Oh where to start... okay... You’re “old school” and appreciate the heritage so, it’s a Corvette, and will most likely always be a Corvette, not a Zora.

IMHO, Chevy did not go out of their way to stress the "Corvette Stingray" with the C7. There is a reason. What's the real "heritage" difference between a "Corvette" and a "Corvette Stingray"? To most people, they are synonymous. Adding a "Corvette Zora" would not change the heritage at all, just grow it.

Last edited by vndkshn; 01-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:44 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Why?

That is the opposite of the way most car companies are going. Most companies are using their performance or luxury image to sell to expand volume with other vehicles. Porsche, Maserati, BMW, Mercedes are all trying to expand volume and increase market share at a lower price point, leveraging their performance cars (or image) to sell cheaper cars. You are arguing for the opposite here.

Corvette is profitable (unlike cars like the GT and Viper), but GM makes money selling Chevys, and Corvette being part of Chevy helps GM financially, it would do less so as its own brand. I also don't see a downside to it, why is it a bad thing to be a Chevy? If you are that brand conscious Corvette probably isn't for you anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To Zora

Old 01-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by auburn2
Why?

That is the opposite of the way most car companies are going. Most companies are using their performance or luxury image to sell to expand volume with other vehicles. Porsche, Maserati, BMW, Mercedes are all trying to expand volume and increase market share at a lower price point, leveraging their performance cars (or image) to sell cheaper cars. You are arguing for the opposite here.

Corvette is profitable (unlike cars like the GT and Viper), but GM makes money selling Chevys, and Corvette being part of Chevy helps GM financially, it would do less so as its own brand. I also don't see a downside to it, why is it a bad thing to be a Chevy? If you are that brand conscious Corvette probably isn't for you anyway.

Oh no. This has nothing to do with branding. I just feel the mid engine car needs to be at the minimum of a different model. Helps maintain the price level of the Corvette. If the price on a base model is jacked up to say even 80,000 GM will sell a lot less of them causing the line to go extinct.

Corvette
base
grand sport
z06
zr1
ZORA
Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@RaginRacin
Oh no. This has nothing to do with branding. I just feel the mid engine car needs to be at the minimum of a different model. Helps maintain the price level of the Corvette. If the price on a base model is jacked up to say even 80,000 GM will sell a lot less of them causing the line to go extinct.

Corvette
base
grand sport
z06
zr1
ZORA
But that would mean keeping the FE around. That actually makes sense to me, but many here swear it will never happen. I dunno, I can see it both ways, especially if the car we are seeing is moved up market (as almost a halo car).
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Randy@RaginRacin
Supporting Vendor

I see it as being a FORD GT. Hand full made at a price range above any worth while volume sales.

Quick Reply: Zora