Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit NAIAS is not happening because...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Default Detroit NAIAS is not happening because...

Because Chevy wants to sell more C7's. Let's assume that prior to the minimum 6 month delay caused by a major electrical system problem, GM was ready to introduce the ME C8 in Detroit. Production would probably begin June or July if all continued to go well. This means that the finished product, inside and out, is now ready to show in Detroit. But now there is a major delay. However, the finished product is just that...finished and could be shown in Detroit. But now, because of the delay, there is not a beginning date for production,and it could be as late as fall or winter. So GM figured that if they show the car in Detroit anyway, C7 sales will be hampered even more than they are now. Therefor,GM is holding off introduction as long as possible and until they are able to announce a shut down date for the C7 and a production date for the C8. Of course all of this is just a guess,but it makes sense to me.

Last edited by RonnieC6Z; 01-04-2019 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:20 PM
JBHunter
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The SOONER Chevy starts building mid-engine C8 Cars, the sooner they start converting Porsche, Audi R8 and maybe some Italian car guys to Corvette ownership. The longer Chevy waits, the more conversion sales they risk. The new Corvette should be quite special in looks and performance...all available at ( hoping) a relatively reasonable price. Corvette has a real chance to convert younger, upscale buyers with the C8. Now, Chevy...can we see the real car please? Next week or so?

Last edited by JBHunter; 01-04-2019 at 07:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DaveFerrari458 (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

VW held up the 2018 Golf Rs because they had a couple key changes and there were too many 2017 Golf Rs on the lots. So many of them sat on a ship or holding lots for several months past the typical new model year arrivals for VW. It’s not outside the realm of possibilities.

Last edited by C82LT; 01-04-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 PM
neile300c
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the Golf R go from front to mid engine?

Originally Posted by WGGS
VW held up the 2018 Golf Rs because they had a couple key changes and there were too many 2017 Golf Rs on the lots. So many of them sat on a ship or holding lots for several months past the typical new model year arrivals for VW. It’s not outside the realm of possibilities.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:08 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

OR, it could sell all remaining C7's in inventory because a lot of these waiters and watchers finally get to see the actual finished product and associated PRICE. Some of these waiters and watchers will absolutely fall in love with the new car and never consider getting anything else.

On the flip side some will finally discover all of their show stoppers and head on down to Chevy town and drive off in their spankin' new C7.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

If Chevy does an early preview, it will only solidify the buying plans of those waiting for the C8. It might spur others who "just can't reach" that price point to opt for a new or nearly new C7. Either way, this isn't a bad deal for Corvette enthusiasts. Trite but true: this is a win-win for Chevy.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:19 PM
C82LT
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by neile300c
Did the Golf R go from front to mid engine?
No, they added virtual cockpit, analogous to the more upscale Audi, and seven speed DSG which was originally only in the higher specd cars like RS3. People were waiting for the new car since one of the bigger complaints of the old six speed DSG was high revs at highway speeds and low speed jerkiness. The virtual cockpit is a $3k upgrade in Audi, included as part of the Golf R package at no additional cost.

Last edited by C82LT; 01-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:29 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Because Chevy wants to sell more C7's. Let's assume that prior to the minimum 6 month delay caused by a major electrical system problem, GM was ready to introduce the ME C8 in Detroit. Production would probably begin June or July if all continued to go well. This means that the finished product, inside and out, is now ready to show in Detroit. But now there is a major delay. However, the finished product is just that...finished and could be shown in Detroit. But now, because of the delay, there is not a beginning date for production,and it could be as late as fall or winter. So GM figured that if they show the car in Detroit anyway, C7 sales will be hampered even more than they are now. Therefor,GM is holding off introduction as long as possible and until they are able to announce a shut down date for the C7 and a production date for the C8. Of course all of this is just a guess,but it makes sense to me.
Keep in mind for the C7, which was less radical of a change than the C8 ME, GM announced wit would be at the NAIAS in October 2012, it was at the show in January 2013 and the first cars rolled off the BG line just after Labor Day. With the C8, it is doubtful, even if showing the car in January 2019, that it would be produced before September 2019 - now it looks like the earliest it will be shown is maybe in April with production in January 2020 as a 2021 model.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:28 AM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Still nothing I've read about when C7 dealer orders and/or production will be curtailed. I would have thought by now there would be some dates thrown out there as the '19 production is getting quite long now and I doubt they will change anything to create a '20 C7.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:44 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by trivette
Still nothing I've read about when C7 dealer orders and/or production will be curtailed. I would have thought by now there would be some dates thrown out there as the '19 production is getting quite long now and I doubt they will change anything to create a '20 C7.
In the calendar year 2018 Chevy sold less than 14,000 C7's worldwide. They can continue to produce as many C7's this year as they want, but the demand will be next to nothing. GM had better get the C8 introduced ASAP if they want 2018 to be a successful year for Corvette. I would think there are quite a few folks who will buy other than Corvette if the introduction to the C8 is postponed for quite a while.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

For once, we have a C8 thread with a lot of logic in it.
Couldn't agree more with you guys.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
In the calendar year 2018 Chevy sold less than 14,000 C7's worldwide. They can continue to produce as many C7's this year as they want, but the demand will be next to nothing. GM had better get the C8 introduced ASAP if they want 2018 to be a successful year for Corvette. I would think there are quite a few folks who will buy other than Corvette if the introduction to the C8 is postponed for quite a while.
They did better than that selling more than 20K in the US and Canada. Moreover, unlike Porsche, the C7 wasn't really marketed internationally, and they have little or no international dealer network anymore after selling off most foreign assets other than joint ventures in China, where the C7 is not sold. It's always been a US-based strategy, and they did far better in the US than anyone else by a wide margin. The sports car market is very limited.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-07-2019 at 04:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CliffB-99 (01-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Detroit NAIAS is not happening because...

Quick Reply: Detroit NAIAS is not happening because...