Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 announcement

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default C8 announcement

I hope the new C8 announcement isn't until the engineers are satisfied that the car is ready and tells management so..
Old 01-06-2019, 07:05 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

CaliforniaJack, wisdom on our part, and your hope will be granted, i.e., why the car is still being developed right now, has not yet been revealed. Let anyone forget, it is called a testing and development process for a very good reason.

GM is acutely aware that the C8 must be a home run out of the box. The first year of the C7, it won 21 major awards. The ME is a massive difference from 65 years of front engine Corvettes, and it can not be a “well its okay” result. It must be a home run right out of the box, and why like you CJ, I in the camp of “take as much time as you need to get it just right.”

I love my C7 Z06 and worst case is that I get to drive it longer before I trade it in. Gee that wonderful news it and itself.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:53 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
I hope the new C8 announcement isn't until the engineers are satisfied that the car is ready and tells management so..
If the amount and length of time we have seen the camo cars on the road is any indication, the C8 should be ready to go.
Of course, I don't know if this is actually the case.
Its gestation has been long...work on the ME started before the bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by elegant

GM is acutely aware that the C8 must be a home run out of the box. The ME is a massive difference from 65 years of front engine Corvettes, and it can not be a “well its okay” result. It must be a home run right out of the box, and why like you CJ, I in the camp of “take as much time as you need to get it just right.”
Agreed.
With a completely new chassis, powertrain, AND paradigm of what a Corvette is, GM has to toss a touchdown hit a homer.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:26 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
CaliforniaJack, wisdom on our part, and your hope will be granted, i.e., why the car is still being developed right now, has not yet been revealed. Let anyone forget, it is called a testing and development process for a very good reason.

GM is acutely aware that the C8 must be a home run out of the box. The first year of the C7, it won 21 major awards. The ME is a massive difference from 65 years of front engine Corvettes, and it can not be a “well its okay” result. It must be a home run right out of the box, and why like you CJ, I in the camp of “take as much time as you need to get it just right.”

I love my C7 Z06 and worst case is that I get to drive it longer before I trade it in. Gee that wonderful news it and itself.
I understand your point, but was the C7 later years problematic with automatics? where was the testing on those.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:12 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Looks like the original post and most of the thread's been deleted.

While it's basically harmless automotive claims, I guess deleting messages is the new norm for dealing with any level of "incriminating" information.

No worries though. We'll get the real deal exactly when we're supposed to.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Never mind
Old 01-07-2019, 09:37 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliforniaJack
Unfortunately, you need to keep engineers in line. There is always improvement to be made, at some point someone else needs to step in and say "good enough". Development can't be open ended if you ever want the thing to be produced.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 announcement

Quick Reply: C8 announcement