Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 AM
Vernon
CF Senior Member

Buy the Ferrari now and enjoy the experience.
You’ll either love it and carry on with the brand, or say “been there, done that.” You likely won’t lose too much in depreciation (you won’t recover taxes, etc.).
I have a budget for different household and living expenses, including recreation vehicle expenses (cars and motorcycles, and associated costs). If you have the means - fits within your recreation vehicle budget - and desire, do it with no regrets.

Last edited by Vernon; 01-08-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Vette_Pilot
CF Senior Member

Which ever one you get make sure it doesn't scrape your driveway!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Vette_Pilot For This Useful Post:
z edge (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 03:12 PM
Zaro Tundov
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06 View Post
I'm actually debating whether to wait for the C8 ZO6 version or buy a Ferrari 458 Italia. I figured the C8 ZO6 version is probably at least two years out. I test drove a 458 Friday and it is one hell of a car. I know the 458 is more money used and it doesn't have a warranty. But I could buy the 458 now and enjoy it for a year or two and see what happens with the C8 ZO6 when it does arrive. Thoughts?
Since it's your money I'm spending, I say go for it. You may even like the 458's naturally aspirated engine so much that you decide to skip the ZO6 entirely, assuming it's powered by a twin turbo V8.

It's not a mid-engine, but have you considered getting a used Ferrari F12 Berlinetta? GM will definitely never put anything in the Corvette like a Ferrari V12. You would get to experience a classic Ferrari engine that is unlike anything else you're ever likely to own. Hell, it's so unique you could even justify keeping the F12 after you get the C8 ZO6.

Old 01-08-2019, 03:20 PM
tcweidner
CF Senior Member

I have one more expensive car in my future before I retire and start pinching pennies, if a Ferrari or McLaren arent realistic, I'm pretty sure I can get a Maserati GranTurismo with its Ferrari engine package. Not exactly the same but close enough
Old 01-08-2019, 04:01 PM
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member

I'm actually debating whether to wait for the C8 ZO6 version or buy a Ferrari 458 Italia. I figured the C8 ZO6 version is probably at least two years out. I test drove a 458 Friday and it is one hell of a car. I know the 458 is more money used and it doesn't have a warranty. But I could buy the 458 now and enjoy it for a year or two and see what happens with the C8 ZO6 when it does arrive. Thoughts?
I think you should buy a private island and build a race track there to run around it with your Ferrari.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 PM
moon2605
CF Senior Member

I test drove a Huracan right before I bought a ZR1. The suspension is nice. the car looks fantastic inside and out. Seems a little hard for an old fat man to get in and out of. But what really put me off is it was noisy. Not to say the corvette is a Cadillac but the Corvette seems more user friendly to me. I also looked at some reviews on the 458 ( one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion) and I expect it to be very similar to the Lambo. Rich mans track car. I like cars I can drive to work and enjoy that way. I don't always have time to go for just a ride. ,I also looked at car faxes on Lambos and Ferrari. low miles , lots of owners. I think once the new wears off they take the wife's Mercedes to dinner. So I bought the ZR1 and have no regrets. I also have an Audi R8 V10 that is a pleasure to drive. One of these days I will probably upgrade to the R8 V10 Plus if it drives as nice as the standard V10. I know I got a little off track but these are the 2 cars I have purchased while waiting for the ME to come out. They are both easy to live with . The Audi has been bullet proof and I expect the ZR1 to be the same. As far as insurance being cheap on any of these cars it is if you put low miles on them. I insure based on 8-10K miles a year. The Ferrari was going to cost the same as the ZR1 and the Audi combined. However choosing a car is such a personal and subjective thing. Hell I love them all I think. Enjoy whatever choice you make. You cant go wrong if you are smiling once its done.
The Following User Says Thank You to moon2605 For This Useful Post:
bgspot (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Vette_Pilot
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Red67John View Post
A couple of years ago my wife and I stayed at the beautiful Carmel Valley Ranch while attending Monterey Car Week. It was soooo cool to stand out on our deck looking out across the property and just listen to all the exotic European cars whining through the valley and the twisties in the hills. That said, it was equally cool to listen to hear Corvettes and other race cars at Laguna Seca and a parade of vintage Shelby Mustang racers that drove from the raceway over and into the Quail Golf Resort.

Originally Posted by moon2605 View Post
I test drove a Huracan right before I bought a ZR1. The suspension is nice. the car looks fantastic inside and out. Seems a little hard for an old fat man to get in and out of. But what really put me off is it was noisy. Not to say the corvette is a Cadillac but the Corvette seems more user friendly to me. I also looked at some reviews on the 458 ( one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion) and I expect it to be very similar to the Lambo. Rich mans track car. I like cars I can drive to work and enjoy that way. I don't always have time to go for just a ride. ,I also looked at car faxes on Lambos and Ferrari. low miles , lots of owners. I think once the new wears off they take the wife's Mercedes to dinner. So I bought the ZR1 and have no regrets. I also have an Audi R8 V10 that is a pleasure to drive. One of these days I will probably upgrade to the R8 V10 Plus if it drives as nice as the standard V10. I know I got a little off track but these are the 2 cars I have purchased while waiting for the ME to come out. They are both easy to live with . The Audi has been bullet proof and I expect the ZR1 to be the same. As far as insurance being cheap on any of these cars it is if you put low miles on them. I insure based on 8-10K miles a year. The Ferrari was going to cost the same as the ZR1 and the Audi combined. However choosing a car is such a personal and subjective thing. Hell I love them all I think. Enjoy whatever choice you make. You cant go wrong if you are smiling once its done.
It must be nice to have lifestyles to support the kind of activities that you fine folks can do!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Vette_Pilot For This Useful Post:
DWS44 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:05 PM
moon2605
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Vette_Pilot;1598650469]It must be nice to have lifestyles to support the kind of activities that you fine folks can do!!! [/QUOTE

Thanks I guess. LOL . After turning and burning for close to 40 years I scrounged up some nice toys. Been upgrading for years. I have worked very hard and continue to do so. I also have been very fortunate and I am very grateful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon2605 For This Useful Post:
Basil2000 (01-13-2019), bgspot (01-10-2019), Kainedogg (01-13-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:22 PM
Lotsacubes
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=moon2605;1598650763]
Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot View Post
It must be nice to have lifestyles to support the kind of activities that you fine folks can do!!! [/QUOTE

Thanks I guess. LOL . After turning and burning for close to 40 years I scrounged up some nice toys. Been upgrading for years. I have worked very hard and continue to do so. I also have been very fortunate and I am very grateful.
You're the first owner I've had the opportunity to ask about the R8..... why? For my passion vehicles, even my truck.... if it doesn't motivate me to look back when walking away it's just an appliance. Really no disrespect intended (you're thinking... yeah sure) but the R8 doesn't stimulate me at all. What about it excited you? This is pretty far afield of a C8 topic.... Thx
Old 01-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Atari_Prime
CF Senior Member

The answer is always Ferrari. The 458 is one of the best sports cars ever made.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 PM
moon2605
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Lotsacubes;1598650895]

You're the first owner I've had the opportunity to ask about the R8..... why? For my passion vehicles, even my truck.... if it doesn't motivate me to look back when walking away it's just an appliance. Really no disrespect intended (you're thinking... yeah sure) but the R8 doesn't stimulate me at all. What about it excited you? This is pretty far afield of a C8 topic.... Thx

I agree totally on the looking back. When i quit looking back or they give me a lot of heartburn they are gone. The R8 is simply a great car to me. The V10 sounds great, performs well. The engine bay is beautiful. The R8 can truly be used for a daily driver with really no compromise. It is my cruiser. They are fairly unique. I very rarely see them out. I think part of that is they are not really a popular car. I think more people may agree with your thoughts on it than mine. I always wanted a mid engine and this is what I bought. Fit my budget. I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. If you ever get a chance to drive one you should. You may not fall in love but might understand a little better why guys like me do enjoy the car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon2605 For This Useful Post:
bgspot (01-10-2019), Lotsacubes (01-09-2019), MsEllie (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Fogboundturtle
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=moon2605;1598651030]
Originally Posted by Lotsacubes View Post

I agree totally on the looking back. When i quit looking back or they give me a lot of heartburn they are gone. The R8 is simply a great car to me. The V10 sounds great, performs well. The engine bay is beautiful. The R8 can truly be used for a daily driver with really no compromise. It is my cruiser. They are fairly unique. I very rarely see them out. I think part of that is they are not really a popular car. I think more people may agree with your thoughts on it than mine. I always wanted a mid engine and this is what I bought. Fit my budget. I guess beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. If you ever get a chance to drive one you should. You may not fall in love but might understand a little better why guys like me do enjoy the car.
Did you see the Top Gear episode where they take 3 super cars and calculate how many picture would be taken of each car : ! was a Ferrari 458,spider, a McClaren MP4-12C and a Audi R8. Turns out no one gave a F* about the Audi. While the Ferrari and Mclarens were turning head everyone. So if you want a stealthy supercai, the Audi R8 is the perfect choice. If you want crowd everywhere you go, pick a Ferrari or a McClaren.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Spanis...rcar_Road_Trip

Last edited by Fogboundturtle; 01-09-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:06 PM
moon2605
CF Senior Member

[QUOTE=Fogboundturtle;1598651127]

Did you see the Top Gear episode where they take 3 super cars and calculate how many picture would be taken of each car : ! was a Ferrari 458,spider, a McClaren MP4-12C and a Audi R8. Turns out no one gave a F* about the Audi. While the Ferrari and Mclarens were turning head everyone. So if you want a stealthy supercai, the Audi R8 is the perfect choice. If you want crowd everywhere you go, pick a Ferrari or a McClaren.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Spanis...rcar_Road_Trip

Dang. You're a tough crowd on us Audi guys. LOL . The 458 is truly a beautiful car. If you don't love the looks of the 458 Check your pulse. The Mclaren 720 is another fantastic looking car and the performance is off the charts. Kills every thing. Unfortunately too many $$ .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon2605 For This Useful Post:
ArmchairArchitect (01-09-2019), MsEllie (01-10-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

So, besides old Ferraris, and hearsay, does anyone here actually own a new one?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:15 PM
ZEEEE06
CF Senior Member

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
So, besides old Ferraris, and hearsay, does anyone here actually own a new one?
Old 01-09-2019, 04:45 PM
FrankLP
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
... I could buy the 458 now and enjoy it for a year or two and see what happens with the C8 ZO6 when it does arrive. Thoughts?

Name:  photo801.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  972.7 KB

Last edited by FrankLP; 01-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM
Dr. ice
CF Senior Member

I would go with the 458 all day long and every day. Superior retention of dollars invested in the car and won’t see yourself coming and going at every intersection. Truly a beautiful and special car!

Last edited by Dr. ice; 01-09-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Thoughts?

ù
Heck, if I were you - I'd buy one if I wanted one. That's a damm pretty car!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 PM
ojm
CF Senior Member

On the flip side who now can even buy a C8
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Dr. ice
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ojm View Post
On the flip side who now can even buy a C8
......or even see a C8😏

Last edited by Dr. ice; 01-09-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: