Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Seems ya have a plan and if that works for you do it. 458 till the new C8 of your choice make a change if ya like.

Your question was why would someone not just buy a Ferrari. Ok, for me, cost, cost of ownership, no local dealer network and I have a friend that can manage all of my concerns so I can grab his! Lol. Although not as often as I would like.

PC

Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by zcobra1

Being in So Cal, Ferrari’s do get attention, but not near as much as my 97 Viper GTS, blue/ white, so it depends.....
Most Ferrari owners I hang with are enthusiasts, do some or a lot of their own work, and the last reason they bought a Ferrari is to get attention, As a matter of fact, me in included, most are uncomfortable with the attention.
I admit I love the look of my 360, the feel of it, etc. so it is a admiration of the car itself, not the attention it may garner.

I also have a 2017 Shelby GT350, it gets as much if not more attention than the 360 Ferrari. And not all good with everyone trying to race you and blasting around to try and bait me....
I have to agree with this. I have a Viper GTS as well. I have never had a car get so much attention. I don't like all the attention but I wouldn't change the looks of the car to avoid it. Three things happen every time you take it for a drive. 1) SUVs and sedans sit in the lane next to you trying to take pictures and figure out who's driving the car, 2) Every...single...Mustang thinks you want to race them, and 3) Every AMG or M model gives you the nod and waits for you to race them. Even cops pull along side to take a look.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:26 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, when any car is almost never seen on the road, a lot more folks look at it. Pretty much the same is true of most anything folks aren't used to seeing.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, when any car is almost never seen on the road, a lot more folks look at it. Pretty much the same is true of most anything folks aren't used to seeing.
Yep, One of my collector friends has an eclectic collection, from rare 1950s Porsches to all sort of expensive mustangs to things like totally restored 1970 country squire station wagon. With the fake wood siding and the backward bench seat in the back. Yeah guess which one gets the most looks. Yeah the restored country squire station wagon. Cars are about cool design, cool performance, but most importantly cool memories. Cool memories is why there even is a multi billion dollar car collector industry.

Its why we see the 1940 and 1950 cars going much cheaper now, the people with the nostalgia and connections to those cars are dying out, now its 60's and early 70's collectors in their prime spending years. Then it will move on, only problem is these new generations dont have the same connection to cars as 50/60/70/80s gen did/do. What happens in 30 years from now? Likely the car collection industry and hobby will take a big hit, as the memories wont be strong enough to fuel the industry as it once did.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-11-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:51 PM
JustinZ06
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
Likely the car collection industry and hobby will take a big hit, as the memories wont be strong enough to full the industry as it once did.
Maybe we should start collecting iphones and ipads and leave them in their box with shrink wrap on them unused. That may be what is a collectors item in 30 years.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 PM
JustinZ06
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

And that is a pseudo serious comment. Dont think I will do it, but people will have more emotional ties with them than cars.
The following users liked this post:
tcweidner (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

So OP got me thinking. . I was like "Gee, why would I buy a mid-engine corvette over another mid engine car?!" When I couldn't figure it out, I sprung for a F1. . .

50% more seating AND stick shift!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

458's retain their value well, so you probably won't get hurt too bad if you pull the trigger and then unload it in a year or two.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
tcweidner
Racer

here is the depreciation calc. As long as you buy used, dont put too many miles on it, and god forbid dont get into an accident of any sort as to show up in a carfax, if you only hold a year or so, you wont lose too much money if you can find a buyer right away. If you buy new, you're screwed, as is always the case.

https://www.themoneycalculator.com/v...l/FERRARI/458/

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-11-2019 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by tcweidner
Yep and after a certain age, you just never know, so live for the day.
First time I went on Ferrari chat I was struck by how many posters that said they bought one after receiving a cancer diagnosis.
tcweidner (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:06 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Originally Posted by Carvin
First time I went on Ferrari chat I was struck by how many posters that said they bought one after receiving a cancer diagnosis.
Got my corvette right after spending night and day with Dad at home with Hospice for a week til his passing. Realizing he was only 20 some odd years older than me was a wake up call. Since then we have bought me my corvette, bought my wife her dream car a mercedes coupe., I likely will have one more expensive car left to buy, then we are looking to buy a shore house and retire no later than mid-late 50's. Yeah it was a wake up call for sure. Feel bad for guys who need cancer to get the wake up though.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-11-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Carvin (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 02:44 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BOWTYE8
I just sold my 458 last fall. Traded my 2016 CTSV for it.. Lost my butt on both badly...
I had a 2012. Awesome cars. Sound, you will get attention like nothing other. Especially kids. I enjoyed letting them sit in the car and get pics. If with parents they always thanked me and said I made their kids day. All worth it right there.

I use to let me 16yr son drive it to the gym on Sunday with me. We would pull up to the gas station and folks would freak out when he got out of the driver seat..
Its a race car.. Creature confronts are not there. Bluetooth is so so. Radio sucks. and if anything is wrong...BIg big $$$$
I was on my last maintance....Said I needed a battery a 900.00. and a few other minor items. Seat belt clip. Rear 3rd brake light has a chip. total would be 3400.00. NUTS!!!
I put it on consignment right that day.
I can say I owned one ...if I win the lottery I will be happy to get another.
some music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdEl3_6SyC4
Correct if you have all the work done, and do none yourself, at the Ferrari authorized dealer. I can see then charging $900 for a new battery, but everyone knows you can either change it yourself like I did, for $150 for a Bosch AGM on sale at Pep boys, or pay a independent shop for less than half the dealer if you are not doing your own work.
I had the reverse shifter break on me, if you take it to the Ferrari dealer, they replace the whole assembly, for around $3500 !

I bought aftermarket shifter lever, replaced it myself in less than an hour. Cost $85. If I had brough the part to my independent mechanic, (factory trained on the 360/430) he would charged $125, an hour labor.

When I owned a Audi Q5 diesel SUV, I was shocked how much the dealer charged for a 30K mile service, since it was just oil and filter, fuel filter, pollen/airfilter and the infamous 110 + item check list and it was almost $700 ! I was under warranty, so I did take it to the dealer. Yearly all fluid changes on the Ferrari at my independent is $995, but that is engine oil, transmission/transaxle, complete coolant flush, and brake bleed along with a complete check. Even a independent Audi dealer would charge at least that or more on that much work Q5. Point is that Ferrari ownership is not as expensive as some think if you use independent mechanics, or do small things yourself. As mentioned before, my newest insurance renewal through Liberty Mutual was just paid, and was under $500 for a full YEAR on the Ferrari.
Liberty Mutual wanted $2200 for a year on my 2017 Shelby GT350 ! I had to move that one to Geico, and still cost me $1280 for a year, 2.5 times the cost of the Ferrari that is worth more.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:50 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Ferrari ownership is not as expensive as some think if you use independent mechanics
it took me 50 years of living in the same area to finally find a good shop and that wasnt until a few years ago. Finding a good, talented honest shop is one of the hardest things to do in this country. Most shops will screw a grand mom on an oil change on her Ford Focus, man o man what one could and would do to a Ferarri owner, I could only imagine.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 PM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I have owned close to 50 cars in my life, including 11 Corvettes, Porsches, (every German car) and 2 Ferraris. It is almost impossible to buy a car that sounds better than a Ferrari. But besides that, they are crap. Lousy technology, poorly built, always in the shop and ungodly expensive to service. Give me a Corvette (currently a '16 C7 Z51) or Porsche any day.
I'm lucky enough to hang with some ferrari owners. Talk to them about fixing their cars before you buy one.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 AM
auburn2
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
I'm actually debating whether to wait for the C8 ZO6 version or buy a Ferrari 458 Italia. I figured the C8 ZO6 version is probably at least two years out. I test drove a 458 Friday and it is one hell of a car. I know the 458 is more money used and it doesn't have a warranty. But I could buy the 458 now and enjoy it for a year or two and see what happens with the C8 ZO6 when it does arrive. Thoughts?

ù
Ferraris are great but I can think of quite a few reasons why someone would buy a C8 over a 458.

1. New car. You can't buy a new 458. Many will want a new car.
2. Performance. I think the C8 will outperform the 458 on the track. Not by a lot but I think it will.
3. Reliability - anything italian is going to break and even though you might still find a 458 in warranty it won't be for long and after the warranty is over it is not like you can find a Ferrari dealer in every town to fix it. On the other hand you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a chevy dealer.
4. operating cost/practicality - A C8 will be a much, much cheaper and easier car to live with as a commuter vehicle.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:40 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by auburn2
Ferraris are great but I can think of quite a few reasons why someone would buy a C8 over a 458.

1. New car. You can't buy a new 458. Many will want a new car.
2. Performance. I think the C8 will outperform the 458 on the track. Not by a lot but I think it will.
3. Reliability - anything italian is going to break and even though you might still find a 458 in warranty it won't be for long and after the warranty is over it is not like you can find a Ferrari dealer in every town to fix it. On the other hand you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a chevy dealer.
4. operating cost/practicality - A C8 will be a much, much cheaper and easier car to live with as a commuter vehicle.
5. If you get a red C8, people are going to ask you if it's a Ferrari anyway.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm actually debating whether to wait for the C8 ZO6 version or buy a Ferrari 458 Italia. I figured the C8 ZO6 version is probably at least two years out. I test drove a 458 Friday and it is one hell of a car. I know the 458 is more money used and it doesn't have a warranty. But I could buy the 458 now and enjoy it for a year or two and see what happens with the C8 ZO6 when it does arrive. Thoughts?

If I had the budget for a 458 or used Huracan, I wouldn't give a second thought to buying a C8.

Kainedogg (01-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Old 01-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette#2
If I had the budget for a 458 or used Huracan, I wouldn't give a second thought to buying a C8.
......and no one in their right mind would! This is a feel good thread on a Corvette forum. I really like the direction GM is going with the Corvette, but to compare it with Ferrari and other high end cars is entertaining at best!
NytmereZ (01-20-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
moon2605
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. ice

......and no one in their right mind would! This is a feel good thread on a Corvette forum. I really like the direction GM is going with the Corvette, but to compare it with Ferrari and other high end cars is entertaining at best!

I agree trying to compare a 75K car to a 250k or more car is simply not apples to apples. never has been never will be. however depending on what you want the car for could easily make a Ferrari budget guy look at a vette. I think most people who say they would jump on a Lambo or Ferrari instead probably have never driven one . They are race cars and if your budget allows you to have a 250K race car you will drive 1500 miles a year then more power to you. I can afford a Lambo or Ferrari but not really. My point being that if I m not taking it to work a few days a week and enjoying the car more like a daily driver then it is a ton of money just sitting there which seems like a waste to me. Could a guy daily drive an exotic, I suppose but you would have to be tougher than me plus you wold be worried about where you park, too many miles , etc. Such a subjective thing. Of course if that guy gets a vette it will be a zo6 or zr1 variant. I do believe the 458 is one of the best looking cars on the road and the Huracan is much more visually exciting inside and out than the ZR1 in my garage. Heck a ZR1 barely gets noticed around here. Just another vette. However what a thrill to drive, what a versatile car for over 750 HP. My thought is get what you like and enjoy it and dont be worried about what anyone else thinks. If you are looking back in the parking lot you are doing good.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:05 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

ù
thats gorgous

Quick Reply: Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?