Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by tcweidner
with the US infrastructure the way it is, its hard to have nice things. Here is the NE, the roads are so bad, even in the nicest neighborhoods. We bought my wife the mercedes coupe she always wanted last year, she had low profile tires, the NE roads laughed at them. One pothole put a bubble in the tire, next one pops it all within the first year. I've had my restored 69 fastback black on black gorgeous 69 mustang totaled by a starbucks coffee ******* not paying attention. So yeah, I fantasize about getting a McLaren one day, but I'm not sure with the roads as they are its even possible to enjoy it even if my wife did somehow loses her mind and says go for it.
Very good point! I can justify daily driving a $65K Corvette knowing full well, it's going to suffer some major or minor damage, perhaps even totaled at some point. There's no way I would do that in a Ferrari or McLaren, and if I can't use a vehicle as a daily driver, I'm not buying it. I simply have zero interest in owning a garage queen.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-07-2019 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
bgspot (01-10-2019), tcweidner (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:26 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Have a 16 Z now (along with other stuff). My next car will likely be either a 458 or a 488 because I just want to have one at this point, even if it is not the better performing car. It's a bucket list thing. To be honest, a mid-engine C8 would have to be incredible for me to choose it over a Ferrari. Interesting time for me, to have a mid-engine Corvette available. We'll see.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, I gotta agree about roads, esp. in the NE and the not-so-far-away Midwest where you can see a car disappear in a pothole around Chic., Detroit, Cleveland, etc. And then, my fear is to be on a road that's being rebuilt---it's a disaster for paint and other parts.

Question to OP: if, in fact, the Ferraris of today are so much better-built then older models, (and this is a serious question), what do you anticipate will be your annual cost to maintain the car for let's say 2 years, and then 3 years?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:04 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 741 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Well, I gotta agree about roads, esp. in the NE and the not-so-far-away Midwest where you can see a car disappear in a pothole around Chic., Detroit, Cleveland, etc. And then, my fear is to be on a road that's being rebuilt---it's a disaster for paint and other parts.

Question to OP: if, in fact, the Ferraris of today are so much better-built then older models, (and this is a serious question), what do you anticipate will be your annual cost to maintain the car for let's say 2 years, and then 3 years?
I found this on Ferrari chat.
​This is an expensive piece of metal. This is a total indulgence that has an irrational foundation. There are faster, less costly cars out there. But, this is the top of the mountain for sports cars. If you are a true car enthusiast, you will not regret your purchase. I have never smiled wider in a car than I have in ferraris. If you purchase the car, the only money you are out is (maybe) sales tax and the depreciation for the time you have it. Which is money, but it's not like you "spend" 250k on the car and there is no value left. If you put 100k down, it's not like you can't get out of it if you had to. As far as yearly fees, there's not much. Insurance, registration, and not much else. Before 2012 models, you have to pay for servicing. So $1200 a year there. No problem. There is cost. There is risk. But there is reward. A big reward.​​​​​​
Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
I have owned close to 50 cars in my life, including 11 Corvettes, Porsches, (every German car) and 2 Ferraris. It is almost impossible to buy a car that sounds better than a Ferrari. But besides that, they are crap.

Lousy technology, poorly built, always in the shop and ungodly expensive to service. Give me a Corvette (currently a '16 C7 Z51) or Porsche any day.
I have several friends/business associates who are filthy rich, $30M+ net worth.

They have owned Ferraris, Lambos, McClaren (the worst) etc... all of them said NEVER again. For all the reasons you stated.

In the shop more than in their own garage, parts/service is thru the F'n roof and the only thing it attracted was Teenage boys and older guys in their 50's, lol.

PITA to park, always worried about it, and everyone thinks you're a douchebag.

They had to buy other cars aka Corvettes, Porsche, and Lexus to actually have as a daily driver.

They look pretty, but that's about it.

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 01-07-2019 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
koreanbeefcake (01-10-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

with the US infrastructure the way it is, its hard to have nice things. Here is the NE, the roads are so bad, even in the nicest neighborhoods. We bought my wife the mercedes coupe she always wanted last year, she had low profile tires, the NE roads laughed at them. One pothole put a bubble in the tire, next one pops it all within the first year. I've had my restored 69 fastback black on black gorgeous 69 mustang totaled by a starbucks coffee ******* not paying attention. So yeah, I fantasize about getting a McLaren one day, but I'm not sure with the roads as they are its even possible to enjoy it even if my wife did somehow loses her mind and says go for it.

Chicago suburbs are getting just as bad, even in the rich neighborhoods.

**** potholes can rip your tires and wheels to shreds.

High sidewall tires are coming back in style.
edved (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

All preventative maintenance is free on Ferraris for the first 7 years.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by oregonsharkman
If you have the means, get the Ferrari now.

It will probably be at least 2 full years until the next Z06 equivalent is actually on the road.

... and another 2 years to work the bugs out. Still waiting for GM to fix the heat soak in Z06's.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
If they had any sense they would offer 7 years on the entire car. Powertrain, air cond, everything.

7 years/70,000 miles. No one drives these cars much anyways.

Most are garage queens, weekend toys, or just one of many cars someone owns.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:27 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennis & Golf Nut
If they had any sense they would offer 7 years on the entire car. Powertrain, air cond, everything.

7 years/70,000 miles. No one drives these cars much anyways.

Most are garage queens, weekend toys, or just one of many cars someone owns.

Especially if they are pricing at $300K+
Old 01-07-2019, 06:28 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Chicago suburbs are getting just as bad, even in the rich neighborhoods.

**** potholes can rip your tires and wheels to shreds.

High sidewall tires are coming back in style.
Last year I had a scare, I hit a pothole, didn't hear any rattle or anything too bad so I didn't think much about it. Couple days later my Vette was going nuts with error messages, running like ****, I was like WTF..... this forum saved me. I was planning on taking it to my shop in the morning, but I thought I would come to the forum to ask about these messages etc as they were really scary errors. A user told me to take a deep breath, go pop the hood and check the spark plug wires, and sure enough, that was the issue. A freakin Philly pothole was so bad it jarred loose and off a spark plug wire. Popped it back on, life was good again. Gotta love our Vettes.

Last edited by tcweidner; 01-07-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Tennis & Golf Nut (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Last year I had a scare, I hit a pothole, didn't hear any rattle or anything too bad so I didn't think much about it. Couple days later my Vette was going nuts with error messages, running like ****, I was like WTF..... this forum saved me. I was planning on taking it to my shop in the morning, but I thought I would come to the forum to ask about these messages etc as they were really scary errors. A user told me to take a deep breath, go pop the hood and check the spark plug wires, and sure enough, that was the issue. A freakin Philly pothole was so bad it jarred loose and off a speak plug wire. Popped it back on, life was good again. Gotta love our Vettes.
Spark plug wires? That's a first.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:29 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp

Now, the 458 or the 488 I would die to have.
Amen to that.

Originally Posted by Sin City
you can't park it where you want for fear someone will give you a door ding or worse from jealousy.

It isn't worth worrying about every idiot on the road.
That would be my problem...
OTOH, I do the same thing with my Vette.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:47 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

The one is free (for new cars only I'd guess) and the second sounds "reasonable." I'm wondering how that can be, but I'll take it at face value. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
I found this on Ferrari chat.
​This is an expensive piece of metal. This is a total indulgence that has an irrational foundation. There are faster, less costly cars out there. But, this is the top of the mountain for sports cars. If you are a true car enthusiast, you will not regret your purchase. I have never smiled wider in a car than I have in ferraris. If you purchase the car, the only money you are out is (maybe) sales tax and the depreciation for the time you have it. Which is money, but it's not like you "spend" 250k on the car and there is no value left. If you put 100k down, it's not like you can't get out of it if you had to. As far as yearly fees, there's not much. Insurance, registration, and not much else. Before 2012 models, you have to pay for servicing. So $1200 a year there. No problem. There is cost. There is risk. But there is reward. A big reward.​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Sub Driver
Old 01-07-2019, 07:49 PM
zcobra1
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

I have year 2000 Ferrari 360, owned it 6 years and while it not driven as much as I want.....I have only spent $7K on maintenance so far, and an additional $1500 on non essential preventive maintenance such as new coils ($427 for 8 from theUK), if you shop around, parts can actually be reasonable.Alsodid the heat exchanger and F1 pump, total for this was $1500. All because this are weak points in the 18 year old car. These where not failing, just preventive maintenance.

Absolute blast to drive, well built, although could be called “fragile”, no hate so far, and still worth what I paid for it, $62k
Plus some $$$. She does have 34,000 miles on her, and is REGULARLY exercised....this is a key point. Also fluid need to be changed yearly, including coolant. My clutch wear is 22% so far, I should get around 25,000 plus from clutch, last one lasted 28,000 miles. Sure that is crazy wear, but it is 6 years of use, and you can have a clutch done for $5K, even with the “while you are in there stuff....so reality is around $1K a year for regular maintenance, and an additional $1200/1500 or so a year for future maintenance. Frankly not bad all things considered.

Back to the 458, amazing car, will probably get one someday when I have more time to drive them...while I could, today,
I just can not see spending an additional $100K for a nice 458 if I do not drive it much. Many nice 458’s in the $150/160K cost area, wonderful car. But again, can not really use all that power on the street, and there is a advantage to owning a “driver” higher mileage older 360 like mine, you worry less about taking it out ! I have taken it pretty much everywhere, overnights at hotels, travel trips, winery dirt roads, rainy weather, you name it. It has it’s scars so I worry less than a $160K
Ferrari. Also insurance is insanely cheap, my renewal for a year with Liberty Mutual is about $500 ! So cheap to insure.

If you get a well sorted out 360/430 you should have a similar experience like mine, if you buy a abused or unmaintained or rarely driven one, you will have big time repair bills. BTW, many Ferrari owners I know work on their cars, 3 of us changed out a clutch on a stick 355 in his garage, a few hours, never had done it before ofcourse, and used tutorials off Ferrari Chat to guide us ! Many of us are car guys, know our cars, and work on them.

lastly, I have 5 sports cars right now, and my C6Z06 and the Ferrari 360 are the best.....by far...for what joy and performance they deliver, for the entry cost. That said, nothing beats a new Vette, with warranty, and yearly $100 oil changes for maintenance costs, as far as peace of mind. But if you run a little risk, to me the C6Z06 is the best bang for the buck Vette and the 360 the same as far as a Ferrari. Your opinion and experience may vary.....
The following 4 users liked this post by zcobra1:
AORoads (01-08-2019), bgspot (01-10-2019), jamesampm (01-10-2019), Mikegerm_C5 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

A couple of years ago my wife and I stayed at the beautiful Carmel Valley Ranch while attending Monterey Car Week. It was soooo cool to stand out on our deck looking out across the property and just listen to all the exotic European cars whining through the valley and the twisties in the hills. That said, it was equally cool to listen to hear Corvettes and other race cars at Laguna Seca and a parade of vintage Shelby Mustang racers that drove from the raceway over and into the Quail Golf Resort.

Last edited by Red67John; 01-07-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Originally Posted by zcobra1
I have year 2000 Ferrari 360, owned it 6 years and while it not driven as much as I want.....I have only spent $7K on maintenance so far, and an additional $1500 on non essential preventive maintenance such as new coils ($427 for 8 from theUK), if you shop around, parts can actually be reasonable.Alsodid the heat exchanger and F1 pump, total for this was $1500. All because this are weak points in the 18 year old car. These where not failing, just preventive maintenance.

Absolute blast to drive, well built, although could be called “fragile”, no hate so far, and still worth what I paid for it, $62k
Plus some $$$. She does have 34,000 miles on her, and is REGULARLY exercised....this is a key point. Also fluid need to be changed yearly, including coolant. My clutch wear is 22% so far, I should get around 25,000 plus from clutch, last one lasted 28,000 miles. Sure that is crazy wear, but it is 6 years of use, and you can have a clutch done for $5K, even with the “while you are in there stuff....so reality is around $1K a year for regular maintenance, and an additional $1200/1500 or so a year for future maintenance. Frankly not bad all things considered.

Back to the 458, amazing car, will probably get one someday when I have more time to drive them...while I could, today,
I just can not see spending an additional $100K for a nice 458 if I do not drive it much. Many nice 458’s in the $150/160K cost area, wonderful car. But again, can not really use all that power on the street, and there is a advantage to owning a “driver” higher mileage older 360 like mine, you worry less about taking it out ! I have taken it pretty much everywhere, overnights at hotels, travel trips, winery dirt roads, rainy weather, you name it. It has it’s scars so I worry less than a $160K
Ferrari. Also insurance is insanely cheap, my renewal for a year with Liberty Mutual is about $500 ! So cheap to insure.

If you get a well sorted out 360/430 you should have a similar experience like mine, if you buy a abused or unmaintained or rarely driven one, you will have big time repair bills. BTW, many Ferrari owners I know work on their cars, 3 of us changed out a clutch on a stick 355 in his garage, a few hours, never had done it before ofcourse, and used tutorials off Ferrari Chat to guide us ! Many of us are car guys, know our cars, and work on them.

lastly, I have 5 sports cars right now, and my C6Z06 and the Ferrari 360 are the best.....by far...for what joy and performance they deliver, for the entry cost. That said, nothing beats a new Vette, with warranty, and yearly $100 oil changes for maintenance costs, as far as peace of mind.

But if you run a little risk, to me the C6Z06 is the best bang for the buck Vette and the 360 the same as far as a Ferrari. Your opinion and experience may vary.....
I bought a used C6 Z06 several years ago with 8,000 miles, a garage queen.

LS7, 505HP, runs like a champ. Best sports car I've ever owned.

Gonna hand it down to my kid in a few years.

Get notified of new replies

To Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?

Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,981 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
I'm actually debating whether to wait for the C8 ZO6 version or buy a Ferrari 458 Italia. I figured the C8 ZO6 version is probably at least two years out. I test drove a 458 Friday and it is one hell of a car. I know the 458 is more money used and it doesn't have a warranty. But I could buy the 458 now and enjoy it for a year or two and see what happens with the C8 ZO6 when it does arrive. Thoughts?
If you have the funds, get the Ferrari now, enjoy for two years then get the C8 in 2 or 3 years. Life is too short.
bgspot (01-10-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 10:28 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

V12 lambo.

The sound.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 PM
Old School
Burning Brakes

Received 424 Likes on 254 Posts

z edge (01-09-2019)

Quick Reply: Question--why would someone not just buy a Ferrari?