Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your tipping point?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 05:28 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Excessive technology... I don't want hybrid, start/stop, power opening doors, and 11ty billion other things to break only to have to deal with crappy Chevy service centers who will leave my car with more damage.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:38 PM
Tennis & Golf Nut
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
It's still hard to believe we don't have more solid information about the C8 at this point. Sure, we've seen a couple variants in camo, have some great CAD info, several possible engines, etc - but there's still a tremendous amount of variables that exist. Maybe this should be kudos to GM for keeping it under wraps as well as they have, or perhaps the waters have been overly muddied with "insider info" and an endless array of possibilities presented as facts. Whatever the reason, there's an awful lot more to be revealed in the upcoming days/weeks/months or year depending on who you ask.

That being said, is there one particular change, deletion or addition that would push you either to buy or not to buy the C8? For me, the change to a rear-mid is the big push for the getting the C8. I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of other rear-mid and rear engines, and I've grown to really appreciate the weight behind the rear wheels. Just curious what the deal-killer or deal-sealer is (whether it's known to be implemented yet or not).

If it's Mid-Engine V8, sub 3.5 0-60MPH, mid 11's, and looks decent I'm buying.

At $100k I wouldn't have to think about. Anything more and I'd rather spend $80k more on a Porsche.

Edit: Please offer a $10,000.00 upgrade for an amazing leather interior.

Last edited by Tennis & Golf Nut; 01-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Excessive technology... I don't want hybrid, start/stop, power opening doors, and 11ty billion other things to break only to have to deal with crappy Chevy service centers who will leave my car with more damage.
I agree, guess I'm old school.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

It has to have the same or better road feedback, slick manual transmission, and reliability as a Honda S2000.

If it doesn't then I'd rather buy a stick shift Gallardo or a 911 991.2 GT3 stick.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:14 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

I’ve been hoping to get a C7 ZR1 in Canada but it’s not looking good.
So my move to a C8 would need to satisfy the same considerations for the C7 ZR1, including:
1. Looks - Long time admirer of the long nose, short back FE RWD design (C2 coupe remains my favourite Corvette look; love the Jag E Type convertible).
A C8 ME RWD will need to be visually stunning to my eye...and sadly I’m not holding out hope for the introductory C8.
2. Performance - the ZR1 is the present Corvette King! If the C8 improves on the dual capacities of super car and GT performance, this category could receive “tipping” consideration over looks.
3. Affordability - the C7 ZR1 is very expensive but relative to Audi R8 V10 Plus, Porsche 911 Turbo S, and Ferrari competitors, it’s more affordable. So the C8 needs to be equally affordable.
4. Service - My history for servicing old and new Corvettes has been, I believe, more affordable and more convenient through local Chevy stores and local specialty Corvette shops than the anticipated costs for the competitors noted in 3 above. High quality C8 service that improves on the present quality of service at Chevy stores could add value to a C8 purchase

Bottomline, I’ve been waiting over 2 years for my next high performance vehicle purchase. I “ain’t getting any younger”.
If a C8 comes out soon with subjectively higher ratings (my ratings) on the qualities above, I could be drawn to make a C8 purchase.
But, I’m not holding out much hope.

Last edited by Vernon; 01-07-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,970 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Deal killer is no manual transmission. Sorry to sound like an old fart, but after owning an A8 for the last 3 years, I returned to a M7 trans on my Z06 this Speing and I love it too much to go back. I get the tech, I know even the A8 was technically faster, but I’m a manual fan. And after being a first model year adopter of the C6 & C7, I will not be on the C8.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
I don't think we'll see too many crazy standard features. One rumor swirling under the radar is that the C8 will have an options list similar to that of the 911, but with less costly options. In that sense, building your Corvette would be like this:

1. Start with a Stingray.
2. Pick a color and (optional) vinyl package
3. Pick a set of wheels and tires.
4. Customize your interior- Select seat type, materials, color, and adjustability. Select headrest, center console lid, and floormats. Select Audio system and Interior lighting options. Select interior trim material and color.
5. Customize your exterior
6. Performance options- PDR, MRC, Active engine mounts, Drilled/Slotted rotors, heavy duty cooling, eLSD
7. Other options- Power doors, front axle lift, NCM delivery, Engine build experience, etc.

i really miss the old days when you could choose each option and build “your” corvette. Porsche offers packages, but also allows you to ala cart literally every option so you don’t have to buy what some marketing guy thinks you should have, just to raise the profit.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:46 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

1) Comfortable seats
2) Price below $80k for base model

Last edited by lgodom; 01-07-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 PM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

New tech powerplant. Onward and upward.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 PM
tstad9i1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Stick with a 3rd pedal. If I have to drive an automatic, I might as well get that new electric Porsche Taycan and get a back seat thrown in.

Last edited by tstad9i1; 01-07-2019 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:25 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

1. Looks....hopefully it looks much better than some of the renders we've seen so far.
2. Performance of course!
3. Interior quality.....hoping GM hits it out of the ballpark with the interior. I am sick and tired of people talking sh*t about the interior quality (which is mostly false).
4. Advanced technology.
The following users liked this post:
msm859 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 06:22 AM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 943 Likes on 428 Posts

1. Price
2. Weight
3. Luggage capacity

From what we have seen so far the styling will be a proper evolution of the Corvette “look”. The recent improvement in the quality of GM’s interiors and Corvette’s paint quality shouldn’t be an issue.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:26 AM
tonypittman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

3 big. Issues for me...

Old 01-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
No true manual, no sale.

Only three left? Which cars are you referring to?
Being an inquisitive person, I asked Mr Google. Now the answer really depends on your definition of a "sports car", but using my own narrow belief, (and excluding the current Corvette), the list of sports cars with available MT in 2018 is:

1. Mazda Miata

2, 911 GT3

3. Lotus Evora (very limited production)

4. Cayman GTS

So, saying three isn't so far off the mark. Here's a top 20 list from which I took these https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-transmission/
The following users liked this post:
Atari_Prime (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:01 AM
Bikerjulio
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 221 Posts

I agree. With my 2018 Golf R, it's too much. Some features I never use and some (like lane assist) I turned off immediately. Who wants to pay for a bunch of features they don't want?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,866 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Absolute non-starters:
If it has a v6 or sounds like it does (C8R sound clip)
Automatic (torque converter) only

Hard to overcome:
No manual, DCT only
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Price and utility. Has to be reasonably price for the base model (low $60K ish). Also has to have the utility of the C7 for grocery getting, week long trips (not a golfer -but two bags), etc.

Originally Posted by alienranch
It's still hard to believe we don't have more solid information about the C8 at this point. Sure, we've seen a couple variants in camo, have some great CAD info, several possible engines, etc - but there's still a tremendous amount of variables that exist. Maybe this should be kudos to GM for keeping it under wraps as well as they have, or perhaps the waters have been overly muddied with "insider info" and an endless array of possibilities presented as facts. Whatever the reason, there's an awful lot more to be revealed in the upcoming days/weeks/months or year depending on who you ask.

That being said, is there one particular change, deletion or addition that would push you either to buy or not to buy the C8? For me, the change to a rear-mid is the big push for the getting the C8. I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of other rear-mid and rear engines, and I've grown to really appreciate the weight behind the rear wheels. Just curious what the deal-killer or deal-sealer is (whether it's known to be implemented yet or not).

Get notified of new replies

To What's your tipping point?

Old 01-08-2019, 10:14 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

For me there's a few factors.

I'd prefer a true manual, but I guess if there's no choice I'd have to accept that.

The biggest for me is the design and looks overall. I DO NOT want a car that looks like a bunch of other mid engined cars features mixed together. I don't want GM playing catch up so to speak, I want this to still look very much Corvette if that makes any sense?

Third is Price. I like my cars fully loaded and more GT oriented then just track, so if a 3LT or whatever designations they use goes to around 100k, I may consider an older, used, less seen fun car. It may not be the latest and greatest, but it will appeal to me.

That's currently where I stand on my decision. I have to see the car first.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by lrobe22
Absolute non-starters:
If it has a v6 or sounds like it does (C8R sound clip)
Automatic (torque converter) only

Hard to overcome:
No manual, DCT only
You're nuts. The C8R sounds great. And every single C8 will be partially automatic, just like the options available from Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:46 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Want old tech? Buy an old car. They look great, are plenty fast, and have better resale value.

Quick Reply: What's your tipping point?