Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your tipping point?

Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Default What's your tipping point?

It's still hard to believe we don't have more solid information about the C8 at this point. Sure, we've seen a couple variants in camo, have some great CAD info, several possible engines, etc - but there's still a tremendous amount of variables that exist. Maybe this should be kudos to GM for keeping it under wraps as well as they have, or perhaps the waters have been overly muddied with "insider info" and an endless array of possibilities presented as facts. Whatever the reason, there's an awful lot more to be revealed in the upcoming days/weeks/months or year depending on who you ask.

That being said, is there one particular change, deletion or addition that would push you either to buy or not to buy the C8? For me, the change to a rear-mid is the big push for the getting the C8. I've spent plenty of time behind the wheel of other rear-mid and rear engines, and I've grown to really appreciate the weight behind the rear wheels. Just curious what the deal-killer or deal-sealer is (whether it's known to be implemented yet or not).
Old 01-07-2019, 12:44 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Price
Old 01-07-2019, 12:58 PM
edved
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Price and my trade-in value.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:08 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

For me it's (in order of importance, but have individual disqualifiers too):
1.) Looks
2.) Capabilities
3.) Price

Disqualifiers:
Looks: Even if the new C8 is the most performant ever produced and even if dreams came true and ends up costing less than the current gen C7's, if it looked like an un-balanced design, I will definitely pass. I bought my first corvette ever, because subjectively, I feel the C6 ZR1 is one of the most balanced & timeless corvette designs, ever (which is backed up by its capabilities).

Capabilities/Price: This is a price for performance thing for me for the most part, but even the PFP equation starts to get out whack if we end up anywhere close to the $169k price being touted in other threads...too many other cars with higher levels of public recognition in this range... and whether you admit it or not, public feedback of your car is a big influence on purchase decision.

You might notice that I leave comfort completely off the list - this is because for this type of ride, I personally am not looking for a DD in a corvette - I want visceral emotion from looks & performance for the most part...and comfort does not really matter for me... so if the new ME car runs up against any of my disqualifiers, my plan would be to build an SLC, and most probably hunt for a drivetrain out of one of the new ME car (new or wrecked), since I presume this would be the way to go for maintenance/repairability, rather that the typical LS/G50 combo used by most to build the SLC's.

Just one man's two cents...

Last edited by kozmic; 01-07-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

• Main thing I am worried about based on the camo cars (if they are even C8s) is it looking like an old Lamborghini Countach where the air scoops looked bolted on. If they can make them integrated into the flow of the body panels like on Ferraris that would be nice. I'm still going to laugh if we find out they put foam parts and camo on a 488 as a test/joke.
  • Would also be very interested in hearing the difference in sound (note I did not say noise) between the front and mid engine locations in both the cabin and outside. I'm sure some of that will depend on how high revving the engine they use will be.

Last edited by Demnos; 01-07-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Although I can easily afford it, I will not spend more than $90K for any sports car.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-07-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Although I can easily afford it, I will not spend more than $90K for any sports car.
LOL...thank you for sharing with us what you can afford.
The following 4 users liked this post by Atari_Prime:
Bill17601 (01-09-2019), General_TSO (01-08-2019), lostsoul (01-08-2019), pdiddy972 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:31 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

No 3 pedal manual, no sale.
The following 2 users liked this post by The HACK:
fumbling (01-07-2019), GS60th#47 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 01:33 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by The HACK
Well...that leaves you with about three sports cars left in the world.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:40 PM
vndkshn
Melting Slicks

Received 1,776 Likes on 863 Posts

Being a Corvette, I'm not overly worried about it looking bad, I think it will take some getting used to and possibly a few minor changes (for example, I'd paint the lower rear of the C7).

That said, my biggest concern (being Chevy) is they cheap out on materials and fit and finish. I don't want to be sitting in a car that I am sure will be blazing fast and handle like crazy, and then look at panel gaps and cheap *** interior materials. That's not to say I am wanting "comfort", but "genuine imitation leather" (Grumpier Old Men reference) ain't going to cut it for me. I hate to use the P name, or F name, or any of the other upper level cars, but I know I've always enjoyed the interior of 911s of all trim levels and generations (placed in their proper context in terms of age) while that is not true of Corvettes. The C7 was the first one I sat in and said "I actually could like this interior" even though there were a few annoying things (mainly switches) and a pretty substantial amount of plastic. And yeah, I'm willing to pay more for that (I'd probably get the 3LZ package in the current car, which I still might do).

Pricing is important obviously. Push it too high and I'll start looking elsewhere. That said, 70s or 80s starting isn't a deal breaker for me, IF the interior warrants it. Again, we already "know" the car will outperform the C7 since they will not take a step back in that area.
The following 2 users liked this post by vndkshn:
bebezote (01-08-2019), Red67John (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:04 PM
TFen
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

1. Looks
2. Interior
3. Price

I’m hoping for a $70k base or GS equivalent around $80k. If it’s much higher than $80k I’m out.

At that price point I’m not worried about the performance. GM has a great track record of giving great performance for the dollar. I understand why that would be a tipping point for the Z crowd, though.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:09 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
MX-5, 370Z, BRZ/86, 718, 911, Corvette, Evora, and next year's Vantage. Am I missing any?

Cars I forgot: Fiat 124 Spider, F-Type(Non-V8), BMW M2/2-Series, M4/4-Series, ATS-V Coupe.

If the M4 and ATS are sports cars, can I toss in the Camaro? It weighs less than and handles as well as the ATS, the SS has more power and torque than the M4, and the Camaro SS has better standard equipment(interior and performance related) than the M4. A ZL1 has a better interior than any M4, and It is faster than any production car BMW has made.

I don't see why people expect any official information on the C8. There has been no information about it from GM, just a few GM employees. GM hasn't acknowledged its existence yet. They'll start teasing it once the car is ready for production. We saw what happened to the NSX, and it's looking like people aren't as interested in the GT500 now as they were last January when they released a teaser of it. Now they'll have two model years to cover the cost of the GT500's R&D, and that may not happen if the dealers mark them up by $10,000. GM can't and won't screw up the timing on the C8. They'll probably reveal it in late April and start production in the first week of September. That's only 4 months from reveal to production.

Last edited by Quinten33; 01-07-2019 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (01-08-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:09 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

No true manual, no sale.

Only three left? Which cars are you referring to?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Ya know what, if this car gets to crazy with all the extra stuff, power doors as an example that open and close for ya, and the price pushes up at base i'm out. I don't see base pricing being low $60s, but if base pricing is in the $80s because a bunch of fluff that adds weight and complexity I'm out. That may mean I'll be done with new sports cars, I get it things are moving forward I'm just not all that interested in say my car being a WiFi hot spot! Also, I want a key! lol

PC
Old 01-07-2019, 02:49 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

Looks number one who the hell want's to drive a white elephant. Next price, performance no worry. I just don't see it will be quote affordable as the C7 but hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:53 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quinten33
MX-5, 370Z, BRZ/86, 718, 911, Corvette, Evora, and next year's Vantage. Am I missing any?

Cars I forgot: Fiat 124 Spider, F-Type(Non-V8), BMW M2/2-Series, M4/4-Series, ATS-V Coupe.

If the M4 and ATS are sports cars, can I toss in the Camaro? It weighs less than and handles as well as the ATS, the SS has more power and torque than the M4, and the Camaro SS has better standard equipment(interior and performance related) than the M4. A ZL1 has a better interior than any M4, and It is faster than any production car BMW has made.

I don't see why people expect any official information on the C8. There has been no information about it from GM, just a few GM employees. GM hasn't acknowledged its existence yet. They'll start teasing it once the car is ready for production. We saw what happened to the NSX, and it's looking like people aren't as interested in the GT500 now as they were last January when they released a teaser of it. Now they'll have two model years to cover the cost of the GT500's R&D, and that may not happen if the dealers mark them up by $10,000. GM can't and won't screw up the timing on the C8. They'll probably reveal it in late April and start production in the first week of September. That's only 4 months from reveal to production.
The BRZ??? That counts as a sports car these days? Just because you’re rear wheel drive, I don’t think that makes you a sports car.
The following users liked this post:
vndkshn (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 02:57 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
Ya know what, if this car gets to crazy with all the extra stuff, power doors as an example that open and close for ya, and the price pushes up at base i'm out. I don't see base pricing being low $60s, but if base pricing is in the $80s because a bunch of fluff that adds weight and complexity I'm out. That may mean I'll be done with new sports cars, I get it things are moving forward I'm just not all that interested in say my car being a WiFi hot spot! Also, I want a key! lol

PC
I don't think we'll see too many crazy standard features. One rumor swirling under the radar is that the C8 will have an options list similar to that of the 911, but with less costly options. In that sense, building your Corvette would be like this:

1. Start with a Stingray.
2. Pick a color and (optional) vinyl package
3. Pick a set of wheels and tires.
4. Customize your interior- Select seat type, materials, color, and adjustability. Select headrest, center console lid, and floormats. Select Audio system and Interior lighting options. Select interior trim material and color.
5. Customize your exterior
6. Performance options- PDR, MRC, Active engine mounts, Drilled/Slotted rotors, heavy duty cooling, eLSD
7. Other options- Power doors, front axle lift, NCM delivery, Engine build experience, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To What's your tipping point?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

LOL...thank you for sharing with us what you can afford.
I didn't. I own a $500K diesel pusher motorhome, but wouldn't spend more than $90K for a sports car. It's a matter of MY priorities.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-07-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Old 01-07-2019, 05:15 PM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Unfortunately, I am beginning to believe that those hoping for a three-legged pedal system are gonna be sorely disappointed... I hope I am wrong...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's your tipping point?